Prayut lambastes paper that picks on him

webfact

PM threatens to shut down local Thai daily

26-12-2557-11-09-45-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha lost his patience at a press conference yesterday, emotionally lambasting a Thai newspapers which criticised him daily with bias, and threatening to shut it down.

He didnt mention the name of the Thai daily, but said this papers strongly criticised him on all columns and all pages.

He said he didnt read this paper, but was forced to when his aids bought it and showed to him what it said about him.

I have been in long patience with it. Whats gone wrong with this papers. It goes mad, picking on me everyday and everyone. I dont want to read it. If I read it, my patience will burst and that will tarnish my image as a government leader. I will shut it down, really. Otherwise the existing martial law will be useless.

He then said this was a reason why martial law will stay to ensure smooth reform of the country to return happiness and stability to the country.

He said this was also a reason why the press media needed to reform itself.

But he assured that he would exercise Article 44 constructively and would never use it to put anyone in jail or put anyone on a firing squad.

He then said he would lodge a complaint with the press association against the newspaper.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-threatens-shut-local-thai-daily

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

He really think that he is god, right ? Hope elections will show him soon that he is nothing !

if the people vote against him he will probably have a real dummy spit and go completely psycho. People have been ordered to love and adore him

I cannot believe members are posting links to and quoting from that poor excuse for a website, Prachatai. It is full of red propaganda and anti-monachy ramblings, enough material on any one page to get you banned from the forum.

It links to such sites as - Bangkok Pundit, Political Prisoners in Thailand, Asia Sentinel and Khaosod, all blatantly red propaganda sites.

Fab4 would be proud of you.

You are hilarious. Being red is bad, but being a coup loving westerner is cool.

Fascism is the new black? Sometimes, it really becomes apparent that a western education is really wasted on a lot of people.

Exactly where did I suggest that "being a coup loving westerner is cool." ????

Show me, or withdraw your stupid comment.

You claim every website in your list to be red propaganda.

Open your mind a little and realise not everything the reds say is wrong just as not everything the yellow is right.

Coups are wrong, period. Terrorists are wrong period. Somewhere in between is the Thai reality and middle ground.

All propaganda. Try reading a little sometime.

Open your mind a bit my friend and realize that not everything is black and white.

"Coups are wrong, period"

By that statement you are belittling the patriotic millions who took to the streets of Cairo. They were the fuel that the soldiers used to legitimize that coup. Without the majority backing them the coup would not have happened. It was the first coup in history that came with such popular backing. With that statement you are also belittling the soldiers, who stood with the people, rather than against them.

Are coups really always wrong? Are legitimate presidents untouchable?

People have had some bad experiences with coups and we tend to permanently associate this with suppression, lack of freedoms, arrests, flamboyant generals, and decades long rule. Coups certainly have never lead to democracy, not with an ambitious officer class, weak democratic institutions, and Western meddling in their affairs. There are always exceptions though. We have the example of Adib al-Shishakli of Syria, a military general who toppled a democratically elected president, yet nevertheless, got his country running on its feet, economically, socially, educationally, and culturally. He scored poorly on democratic principles, but today, sixty years after his political demise, Syrians speak of his era with a sparkle in their eye. As for legitimacy, by virtue of its success, the coup itself has now become legitimate. Nice one.

As for Thailand's coup ask the people who lost family members to the terrorists that never faced justice under the government they were killing in the name of if they thought the coup was legitimate. Of course it was. That is why it was bloodless and there was no backlash. The majority spoke through silence and allowing the army to intervene. It is hard to accept, but it its the truth. 7% minority could never instigate a civil war. That fact alone shows that the world is not black or white.

So not only did Prayut successfully stop the deaths of innocent victims without firing a bullet he has also and may I add democratically approached this newspaper issue with a grace never seen by previous democratically elected governments.

He lodged a complaint. He didn't shut down papers by removing advertising from his associates or government agencies. That would be undemocratic and is what the democratically elected government did under thaksin. But that is OK right cause he was elected.

The CIA enabled the coup in Cairo.

The history lesson can be valid, but as a basic tenet, coups are bad in the long run, and ordinarily lead eventually to democracy. There are some startling examples but, personal human rights over that of the state normally win out.

Has Thailand benefitted from all these coups. In my opinion no. It has been a stutter of 1 step forward and 2 back for 80 odd years. The army should be submissive to the civilian govt. Period.

The justification and hypocrisy of defending freedom by removing it, is in Thailand s case, absurd. But then, even those in north Korea believe they are free and living in utopia.

I can understand you having an opinion on the political situation in Thailand, and you have every right to that opinion, but to compare Thailand to North Korea really does show how desperate you are to win this pointless argument.

As far as freedom goes, you seem to have the freedom to openly condemn the Military junta, on an "open" forum, which you could not do in NK.

You also have access to the internet which you would not have in NK, unless you were a member of the government or security forces.

And you can leave and enter the country at will, without risk being shot or imprisoned.

Most of the posters you attack for supporting the coup would much rather have a fair and just government running the country, something we did not have before, which is the very reason the coup happened.

You spend too much time and effort condemning the Military while ignoring the facts - that the Shins are bent, crooked and corrupt and use their power to further their own needs.

The way they treated the rice farmers, who even went to Bangkok to protest about the Rice Scheme non-payments, was the writing on the wall.

You claim every website in your list to be red propaganda.

I don't make the forum rules -

" You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them."

Someone should send him a copy of John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty" for Christmas - it would help him chill out and the Thai happiness gauge would surge without any effort on his part. thumbsup.gif

On second thoughts though on current performance he'd probably ban it.

• Like 1

The point he may be making is that some journalists see their role as wall-to-wall criticism. Some journalists make an art of negativity and do not mention/stress/point out the positive things. Constructive criticism is obviously important but destructive criticism is a bit weary. I think it may have something to do with journalists trying to be noticed, trying to be more radical than their colleagues, trying to be holier than thou or simply trying too hard. Perhaps they're trying to build a career in which case truth, honesty and intelligence takes a back seat. I have some sympathy for dear leader.

One only has to look at a real democracy to read every day criticism of the government or the prime minister, e.g. Australia and Tony Abbott or USA and Obama, it's called freedom of the press.

It gives everyone a platform for their opinion, biased or not.

The population can make up their own mind whether it's fair or not.

I'm sory to say this general who has made himself the head of the government by using the army (which was paid for by the people of Thailand) is now showing his real colours. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

How long before we see military flying squads arresting critics of the general and throwing them into gaol?

Not long I think.

Unfortunately Thailand does not have a democratiuc culture where behaviour such as this would be absolutely repugnant to everyone.

Yes, I do believe this country will go down like Burma did, where the ruling clique in league with the army will take the spoils all for themselves.

The point he may be making is that some journalists see their role as wall-to-wall criticism. Some journalists make an art of negativity and do not mention/stress/point out the positive things. Constructive criticism is obviously important but destructive criticism is a bit weary. I think it may have something to do with journalists trying to be noticed, trying to be more radical than their colleagues, trying to be holier than thou or simply trying too hard. Perhaps they're trying to build a career in which case truth, honesty and intelligence takes a back seat. I have some sympathy for dear leader.

One only has to look at a real democracy to read every day criticism of the government or the prime minister, e.g. Australia and Tony Abbott or USA and Obama, it's called freedom of the press.

I'm sory to say this general who has made himself the head of the government by using the army (which was paid for by the people of Thailand) is now showing his real colours. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

How long before we see military flying squads arresting critics of the general and throwing them into gaol?

Not long I think.

Unfortunately Thailand does not have a democratiuc culture where behaviour such as this would be absolutely repugnant to everyone.

Yes, I do believe this country will go down like Burma did, where the ruling clique in league with the army will take the spoils all for themselves.

If what you say in your last sentence is true, and I hope it is not, rather than blame the Military or the "ruling clique" ??? I would hold the previous democratically elected governments responsible, they had their chances to rule the country democratically but blew it.

The previous incarnation of the Shin regime is an ideal example.

You mentioned the USA and Australia, do you honestly believe if the leaders of either of those governments behaved as badly as the Shinawatras have in the past that there would not be massive repercussions ?

Look into the recent past and see what happened to politicians who have fallen on their swords, for various reasons, Gough Whitlam and Richard Nixon come to mind.

According to the United States Information Agency hundreds of newspapers are sued for libel every year, so it is not just a Thai thing.

In this case I don't think the PM has the grounds to complain too much when it comes to criticism from the newspapers, as did Thaksin years ago when he was taking legal action against various Thai newspapers.

Edited by mikemac

Someone should send him a copy of John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty" for Christmas - it would help him chill out and the Thai happiness gauge would surge without any effort on his part. thumbsup.gif

I doubt whether he had read a serious book in his life.He is certainly turning out to be a Grade A buffoon.

he can read???

Not long I think.

If what you say in your last sentence is true, and I hope it is not, rather than blame the Military or the "ruling clique" ??? I would hold the previous democratically elected governments responsible, they had their chances to rule the country democratically but blew it.

You mentioned the USA and Australia, do you honestly believe if the leaders of either of those governments behaved as badly as the Shinawatras have in the past that there would not be massive repercussions ?

Look into the recent past and see what happened to politicians who have fallen on their swords, for various reasons, Gough Whitlam and Richard Nixon come to mind.

According to the United States Information Agency hundreds of newspapers are sued for libel every year, so it is not just a Thai thing.

In this case I don't think the PM has the grounds to complain too much when it comes to criticism from the newspapers, as did Thaksin years ago when he was taking legal action against various Thai newspapers.

Prayut could go to court if he feels personally insulted, I guess.

Edited by micmichd

I doubt whether he had read a serious book in his life.He is certainly turning out to be a Grade A buffoon.

he can read???

Can You read the OP?

he can read???

Can You read the OP?

Apparently he can't, or did not bother, the last line is -

"I don't want to read it because I become angry when I read it and this casts me in a negative light, Prayut told the media at a press conference to announce his government's performance after three months in office."

The PM's biggest fault is his attitude towards the press, and criticism in general. The majority of readers take what the papers write with a grain of salt anyway.

Not long I think.

I don't believe for a minute that elected government ministers in the USA sue for libel each year. please quote the whole article.

Unless there are defamatory untruths involved, it's almost impossible to gain a conviction. esp. in the USA.

Your reply to my post rambles, i.e. you start talking about if the governments of USA or Australia had behaved as badly as the Shinawatras would there have been repercussions.... of course, but that's not the issue here is it?

what this acticle is about is CRITICISM, and the governments of Australia and the USA and Britain and wherever else in the western world are criticised daily in the press and they just have to accept it, because that's what living in a free society means.

Not going on tv complaining about criticism with veiled threats.

What we have here is an absolute ruler with absolute power, with no checks and balances, no opposition, threateneing a newspaper because he doesn't like what they say about him.

Very dark days ahead for Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not long I think.

Not sure about your understanding of Australian history Mike but Gough Whitlam didn't fall on any sword. He clung on to power for dear life until his government was dismissed by the Queen's representative in Australia, the Governor General - Sir John Kerr. Comparing Whitlam to Thaksin or Nixon is extremely insulting.

I don't believe for a minute that elected government ministers in the USA sue for libel each year. please quote the whole article.

Unless there are defamatory untruths involved, it's almost impossible to gain a conviction. esp. in the USA.

Your reply to my post rambles, i.e. you start talking about if the governments of USA or Australia had behaved as badly as the Shinawatras would there have been repercussions.... of course, but that's not the issue here is it?

what this acticle is about is CRITICISM, and the governments of Australia and the USA and Britain and wherever else in the western world are criticised daily in the press and they just have to accept it, because that's what living in a free society means.

Not going on tv complaining about criticism with veiled threats.

What we have here is an absolute ruler with absolute power, with no checks and balances, no opposition, threateneing a newspaper because he doesn't like what they say about him.

Very dark days ahead for Thailand.

It's obvious of course but perhaps still worth reminding ourselves.American and British governments can be voted out by the people.The Thai people have no such choice since the "good" people know what is best for the ordinary majority.The constitution now under discussion will enshrine this principle.

As so often George Orwell had the right phrase

"If you want a vision of the future imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever"

• Like 2

I cannot believe members are posting links to and quoting from that poor excuse for a website, Prachatai. It is full of red propaganda and anti-monachy ramblings, enough material on any one page to get you banned from the forum.

It links to such sites as - Bangkok Pundit, Political Prisoners in Thailand, Asia Sentinel and Khaosod, all blatantly red propaganda sites.

Fab4 would be proud of you.

You are hilarious. Being red is bad, but being a coup loving westerner is cool.

Fascism is the new black? Sometimes, it really becomes apparent that a western education is really wasted on a lot of people.

perhaps it might be more accurate to describe Red as being the new Fascism.

So yellow is part of the old facism?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not long I think.

Not sure about your understanding of Australian history Mike but Gough Whitlam didn't fall on any sword. He clung on to power for dear life until his government was dismissed by the Queen's representative in Australia, the Governor General - Sir John Kerr. Comparing Whitlam to Thaksin or Nixon is extremely insulting.

You are correct, in hindsight I should not have used Gough as an example, especially using the term "who have fallen on their swords".

I am sure there would be many other examples out there, of politicians who have fallen from grace.

I voted for Labor in 1975, the first time I was eligible to vote.

What a big girl's blouse! That's what being the 'leader' of a country entails, friend; being questioned and criticized. Being of military origins, one is not used to 'abuse', eh, but you're a politician now, ole fella, so do what the rest of them do... grow an extremely thick skin and ignore or get out of the kitchen! Happy Christmas, btw.

Sadly he is not a real PM, he is a Military dictator, and given the postponement of the election and the most recent rewrite of the constitution about the Senate now to be appointed, I think he is getting more dangerous with each ensuing day and Thailand is in danger of looking a lot like Burma in a few years if this continues sad.png The ironic twist is that Burma is moving in the other direction and with its deep sea port it could be very tempting for Ford, Toyota, Honda , Nissan ect. to relocate and retool in Burma, leaving Thailand to become a vassal state of the PRC whistling.gif

What? I guess Thailand doesn't have freedom of speech! I tell people if you don't like something they see on Facebook, you don't need to defriend your friend just go on to the next posting. Just take it like a grain of salt. Everyone has an opinion, some sell papers!!!!!

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha lost his patience at a press conference yesterday, emotionally lambasting a Thai newspapers which criticised him daily with bias, and threatening to shut it down.

He didnt mention the name of the Thai daily, but said this papers strongly criticised him on all columns and all pages.

He said he didnt read this paper, but was forced to when his aids bought it and showed to him what it said about him.

I have been in long patience with it. Whats gone wrong with this papers. It goes mad, picking on me everyday and everyone. I dont want to read it. If I read it, my patience will burst and that will tarnish my image as a government leader. I will shut it down, really. Otherwise the existing martial law will be useless.

He then said this was a reason why martial law will stay to ensure smooth reform of the country to return happiness and stability to the country.

But he assured that he would exercise Article 44 constructively and would never use it to put anyone in jail or put anyone on a firing squad.

He then said he would lodge a complaint with the press association against the newspaper.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

And people are on here actually defending this bloke. He is a complete numptie.

It is very comforting to know we will not be executed for speaking our minds. One would not want to confuse Prayuth with the numnut in N. Korea, or the numnuts running China.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

It is very comforting to know we will not be executed for speaking our minds. One would not want to confuse Prayuth with the numnut in N. Korea, or the numnuts running China.

Whatever one's views on Thailand, no person who has not been in a coma for ten years could possibly regard those remarkably able if not exactly admirable men who rule China as "numnuts".

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

Whatever one's views on Thailand, no person who has not been in a coma for ten years could possibly regard those remarkably able if not exactly admirable men who rule China as "numnuts".

The eventual upheaval when the Chinese people decide they have had enough of being ruled by the CCP will make most run of thr mill uprisings look relatively bloodless.

• Like 2

Fantastic "They dare to criticize me, I will threaten to shut them down"

This isn't the army Mr General full of yes men and boot lickers, this is the real world were you do get called up on what you do. Better get used it as you have admitted not even starting a new constitution or firm election dates, the criticism and scrutiny will only intensify the longer this doesn't happen.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-26

Well, I guess I was not using the term numnuts to mean they are not intelligent and capable at running their economy. I was using it to describe a super corrupt group of billionaires who have been repressing their people, for the sake of their own enrichment and unbridled power. I was describing an insatiable group of men who torture, kill, maim, imprison, and harvest the organs of their own people. Who will stop at nothing to maintain their power base. Guess that is my description of a numnut. A man without a heart and soul.

To get back to topic:

I consider criticism of PM Prayut legitimate as far as his political decisions are criticized. I also consider criticism of the NCPO legitimate for democratic issues.

But I do not consider personal defamation of Khun Prayut legitimate.

One question remains:

What was the name of the newspaper he talked about?