How to inspect 2nd hand scooter

SukhumvitFan42

Check classifieds for same model-year and for how much they are going for.

Check wear and tear on the bike.

Listen to the sound of the engine if there are any strange noises and rattles.

Check brakes....how many km....but most importantly check that the green book is in the seller's name.

• Like 2

I know this is not what you asked but.....

Are you aware that second hand prices tend to be higher here than for similar age models in the West so you won't save very much?

Are you aware that buying a new model will give you a 30,000 km or 3 year guarantee from Honda and 1 year roadside breakdown cover so you would want to factor that in?

Are you aware that consumer protection law with regards to second-hand vehicles will offer you very little protection if any at all?

You may want to consider buying a new one. Best of luck.

• Like 2

Like the other guys said and

verify that the warranty work has been logged into the Honda book.

That way you can be covered by the warranty.

I prefer buying from Farengi farang.

Swiss or Germans are good bets.

And if the bike looks really sharp, gopher it.

i've bought a used car and a used bike from farangs (both UK guys) and in both cases the vehicles had a lot of hidden, poorly patched up problems which i'm sure they knew about so i would not assume if its from a farang its, ok. the obvious thing is take it to a Honda dealer and have them check it out

Edited by stevehaigh

i've bought a used car and a used bike from farangs (both UK guys) and in both cases the vehicles had a lot of hidden, poorly patched up problems which i'm sure they knew about so i would not assume if its from a farang its, ok. the obvious thing is take it to a Honda dealer and have them check it out

Right.

ASS U ME

It's always buyer beware.

We Americans dropped out of the British club quite some time ago.

And cricket...what the heck is that all about?

Thais are often too poor to spring for an oil change, so....

I've never been ripped off by someone from Iceland or Luxembourg!!!

Rule-of thumb on pricing a new-ish (<3 y.o.) nice condition scoot:

20% off when sold plus take away 1baht per kilometer.

Your rule of thumb is a little broad. I have a Nouvo MX that I was able to buy for 15,000 baht 2.5 years ago. I have replaced the brakes, had new gears and bearings put into the transmission, new battery, seat, tires, and new carb. It runs perfect. The body is almost like brand new.

If I reduced it 20% from purchase of 15,000 baht, it would be 12,000 baht. It has 55,000 kilometers on it, so you would have me deduct another 55,000 baht, meaning that I would have to just give it to someone for free, plus give them 43,000 baht just to take it. Ouch!

I think I will just keep it, and enjoy it everyday. Next year I will sell it for the original 15,000 baht that I paid for it, no problem. But let me know when you are ready to sell your bike. I would love the price.

Your rule of thumb is a little broad. I have a Nouvo MX that I was able to buy for 15,000 baht 2.5 years ago. I have replaced the brakes, had new gears and bearings put into the transmission, new battery, seat, tires, and new carb. It runs perfect. The body is almost like brand new.

If I reduced it 20% from purchase of 15,000 baht, it would be 12,000 baht. It has 55,000 kilometers on it, so you would have me deduct another 55,000 baht, meaning that I would have to just give it to someone for free, plus give them 43,000 baht just to take it. Ouch!

I think I will just keep it, and enjoy it everyday. Next year I will sell it for the original 15,000 baht that I paid for it, no problem. But let me know when you are ready to sell your bike. I would love the price.

What year is the MX?

Was your MX less than 3 years old when you bought it?

It is now for sure.

(stoli, stoli, stoli, try to pay attention. 5 5)

To clarify: Reduce new cost by 20%, then -1 baht per kilometer; for nice little scoots, less than 3 years old, with moderate (?) odometerage, Honda, Yammy, Suzy, Kawy. Chinese stuff less.

Rule-of-thumb, not writ in stone.

If you want to turn it, I would take it off your hands if you pay me only 10,000baht hence saving you 33,000.

I always wanted a MX.

Deal?

(Between you and me I just make this shiit up late at night when I'm high.) clap2.gif

By my own and sad experience buying 2nd hand scotter in a very busy 2nd hand store in Chiang Mai....blocks from the Tha Phae Gate. I took it to a Honda dealer for inspection, and after 3 hours was told that the bike was perfect. Soon I found that the odometer was tampered, the motor in need of a big repair, battery charger was not working, but..the bike looked like brand new, showing very low kilometers. Beautiful!

On the first wash the new paint starting going out......I sold it 4 months later taking a 5000 bath loss, without doing any repairs, to a Thai guy who also took the bike to a mechanic to look at....

About 10 years ago I bought a used bike from Honda dealer as a parting gift to the then girlfriend.

I forget the price now but it was obviously cheaper than a new bike and had been checked by Honda mechanics.

After some years she passed the bike onto her friend and as far as I know it is still being used to this day. thumbsup.gif

Buying from a dealer, even second hand, I think you will have a better chance of avoiding some of the usual issues with buying anything second hand.

Buying from a fellow Ferang is no guarantee that you will get a honest deal. sad.png

I have Just bought 2 small bikes a yamaha spark and a Fino, both 6 months old with 4,500 kilo, at about 15,000 below new, both as good as new, pleased as punch. one from a dealer in Bangkok who delivered next day included in the price, why buy new, maybe a pcx will not be so easy to find, but must be out there somewhere.

What year is the MX?

Was your MX less than 3 years old when you bought it?

It is now for sure.

(stoli, stoli, stoli, try to pay attention. 5 5)

To clarify: Reduce new cost by 20%, then -1 baht per kilometer; for nice little scoots, less than 3 years old, with moderate (?) odometerage, Honda, Yammy, Suzy, Kawy. Chinese stuff less.

Rule-of-thumb, not writ in stone.

If you want to turn it, I would take it off your hands if you pay me only 10,000baht hence saving you 33,000.

I always wanted a MX.

Deal?

(Between you and me I just make this shiit up late at night when I'm high.) clap2.gif

Enjoy the high. I will let it go this year at 20,000 baht, as I believe I will move from Pattaya to Chiang Rai in March. I will need a bigger bike for the mountains of Laos. I like to explore. A bike in great, dependable shape is truly nice to have. I know. I have one. Meet me when you are high again, bring the cash, and I will meet you. Greenbook is in my name. Enjoy!

About 10 years ago I bought a used bike from Honda dealer as a parting gift to the then girlfriend.

I forget the price now but it was obviously cheaper than a new bike and had been checked by Honda mechanics.

After some years she passed the bike onto her friend and as far as I know it is still being used to this day. thumbsup.gif

Buying from a dealer, even second hand, I think you will have a better chance of avoiding some of the usual issues with buying anything second hand.

Buying from a fellow Ferang is no guarantee that you will get a honest deal. sad.png

I could not agree more. I always bought new in the U.S., until the last time there. Car was crap, starting with recalls that would no longer be honored. I never trust a used car salesperson.

It's an expensive nightmare removing all those body panels to get to the motor.

Takes 10 minutes. Easy.

Like I said. A nightmare on the PCX, even getting to the spark plug. Probably a 3 hour service charge at the dealer?

Your bike will never be the same after Somchai does this!

Edited by CarlTyson