Sunderland Forum

Sunderland

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunderland 0 - Man Utd Reserves 4 :o

I would not mind ALL the players who played for United yesterday in our team...with the exception of Fletcher :D

I think Fergie is about the only person who rates Fletcher, but hey I'm not gong to question the great man.

Sunderland 0 - Man Utd Reserves 4 :D

CORRECTION

Man Utd Old Boys XI 0 Man Utd Reserves 4

Sunderland were woeful (again) and really are beginning to look destined for the drop (again). Personally, I wouldn't sack Keane, despite him wasting most of the funds he was given in the summer on dross. I can't see who else could come in and stop the rot at the present time.

Relying on has-been players like Yorke and Cole hasn't helped Keane's cause, but there are clearly lots of inadequacies within the team that are unlikely to be corrected during the transfer window. It is hard to see players that can make a big difference to the team's chances of survival making the move to Wearside when relegation is on the cards.

I would like to be optimistic, but this month has really seen reality set in and Sunderland are not yet good enough for this level of football. Perhaps a season back in the fizzy pop league will give them time to rebuild and plan a better strategy for staying up next season.

Sunderland fans should start a chant of "yo-yo ... here we go" as that seems to sum up the club over the last 30 years I have followed them.

:o

Well done Sunderland, a good win yesterday.

As usual we were awful for the most part of yesterday's match and 3-1 greatly flattered us. We made a brightish start, scored 2 goals c/o the Jones & Richardson show, then sloppily conceded another free kick from far out. Lost count of how many times that has happened this season. We then spent around 40 minutes of the second half camped in and around our own penalty area, booting the ball clear to Bolton and hanging on for dear life; although it must be said that Bolton barely had a shot on target. If we had defended any deeper, the players would have been sitting in the North Stand with the fans. :o

We'll gladly take the 3 points which ensures there won't be a repeat of the lowest number of points 2 seasons ago. Sitting on 17 points just outside the bottom three feeling dizzy. Good way to finish 2007, but the signs are there that if we don't add some quality in the transfer window we will be going down.

Having Richardson back in the side today was a breath of fresh air. Almost like having a new signing. He had a good game.

Roy Keane's reaction to yesterday's 3-0 home defeat by Wigan in the FA Cup:

"It’s a huge disappointment, most certainly. It was a game we wanted to win.

There have been lots of comments about the FA Cup this week, but this was a major disappointment for us to lose 3-0 at home to Wigan. It’s not nice.

We picked the team and we didn’t cut any corners with that. I would like to say we played lots of fringe players and came unstuck but we didn’t. That team was good enough to get a result.

All three goals we’ve conceded today have not been good enough really.

It’s taken me by surprise. I didn’t see it coming. It was a strange atmosphere and very flat, but players have got to rise above that. But we could have stayed here until the next week and we wouldn’t have scored. No excuses, but that wasn’t good enough.

A Sunderland fan said towards dug-out that we should be ashamed of ourselves and I can’t argue with that. I’m pretty ashamed today.

How many games have we lost this year? Lots. I’m like a broken record, but you have to keep working hard and persevering. We’ve got a tough game next week.

We’ve been chopping and changing players, we’re trying lots of different things and players and some took their chances, others didn’t.

I’ll take the criticism on board. I’m ashamed today. Sunderland losing 3-0 at home to Wigan is very hard to take. The fans have been fantastic to me, they’re intelligent and for them to say this was a disgrace, well they’re spot on.

Well get back on the training pitch and persevere. We still believe in ourselves. We have to get back and focus on our league form, not that we’ve got a choice. That’s our bread and butter.

We’ll make a decision on QUINTON FORTUNEin the next few days. He’s been training with us for a month or so, I know him well and we’ll decide later in the week.

Thanks for your support."

Yes, you and the team should be ashamed by that performance and plenty of others this season. Buy someone who is not Irish or a washed up ex-Manchester United player and you might start to see some positive results. How can it take a month to make a decision on whether or not someone is good enough to play in a Premier League team?? Fortune is another Andy Cole. Old legs and nothing to add to a mediocre squad. Get a grip Roy!

Edited by Sunderland

• 2 weeks later...
Are Sunderland playing their home games at the Riverside now?

The reason I ask this is because I watched some of the Pompey game a couple of days ago and I saw thousands of empty red seats. I thought it was just Boro that played in half empty stadiums. :o:D

:D:D

I won't comment on Newcastle in this thread though. :D

Are Sunderland playing their home games at the Riverside now?

The reason I ask this is because I watched some of the Pompey game a couple of days ago and I saw thousands of empty red seats. I thought it was just Boro that played in half empty stadiums. :o:D

:D:D

I won't comment on Newcastle in this thread though. :bah:

The difference being that Newcastle at least have a full stadium at kick-off. It's only when they're 3-0 down after 30 minutes that the stadium empties. :D:bah:

• 2 months later...

Still in the relegation frame but a little less nervous after today's win. A few unwanted runs being broken in the last 2 weeks. The away win at Villa was their first win in the Premier League since January 2006.

Today's win over West Ham enabled us to have our first back-to-back wins in the PL in something like 126 games and it was the first time we had come from behind to win a game in the PL since we beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge in 2001. Bloody hel_l!

And we've climbed ahead of the scum ... what a day!

Still in the relegation frame but a little less nervous after today's win. A few unwanted runs being broken in the last 2 weeks. The away win at Villa was their first win in the Premier League since January 2006.

Today's win over West Ham enabled us to have our first back-to-back wins in the PL in something like 126 games and it was the first time we had come from behind to win a game in the PL since we beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge in 2001. Bloody hel_l!

I reckon you're safe, can't see Bolton recovering from that defeat last night, must have been demoralising to toss away a lead like that.

Hopefully you'll now finish above the Skunks. :D Sunderland could end up as the highest places NE team :o

Hopefully you'll now finish above the Skunks. :D Sunderland could end up as the highest places NE team :o

They could, but at the moment their currently the lowest placed NE team. :D

A good win for you lot yesterday as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Your were correct. It was just a day. :o

You must have been very dissapointed with your first half performance yesterday. Newcastle didn't even play that well but because you were woeful in the first half we took advantage and you couldn't really recover in the second.

ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA AS TO WHY THIS THREAD IS SO QUIET TODAY ??????

Funnily enough it's because there weren't any clear enough instructions for gloating mags to follow and therefore they had no idea how to rub it in! :D

Apparently the words to the Blaydon Races were printed in yesterday's match programme but that failed to inspire the barcodes as everyone knows that most skunks can't read anyway :o

In a survey of UK football fans, Sunderland fans have proved to be

the most likely to have had sex in the shower!

In the survey, carried out for a leading toiletries firm 86% of

Sunderland fans said that they have enjoyed sex in the shower.

The other 14% said they hadn't been to prison yet.

:o:D

I walked into a bar in Taipei on Sunday night and wat was on the bloody screen - yes the bloody game and it was being nicked from a Thai channel.

To cap it off there was a bloody skunk sitting in his shirt - is there no escape?

At least he had a shirt on.

I walked into a bar in Taipei on Sunday night and wat was on the bloody screen - yes the bloody game and it was being nicked from a Thai channel.

To cap it off there was a bloody skunk sitting in his shirt - is there no escape?

At least he had a shirt on.

He actually moved tables after a while to where he could not see the game - strange behaviour!

I just finished Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie which was a good read - it mentions a bit about the rivalry going back to the english Civil War

Prakanong - hope it wasn't an iron bar you walked into....Tommy Cooper HAS to have been a Sunderland fan...everything he touched turned to *****! :o

Not to worry - the book I mentioned above has a lot to say about Newcastles overinflated sense of self worth as a football team :D

Keegan must be the bastard progeny of Tommy Cooper then as everything he has touched as turned to shit - resigning in tears on the toilet is about the length of the man

What was conveniently edited from this biased story is that 86% of Sunderland fans only went to prison to poke fun at their black and white cousins whose inability (ugly mingers) to find partners in the showers led to them enjoying sex with themselves. There's a word for that, isn't there?

• 1 month later...

Quinn confident Keane will stay at Sunderland

Updated: May 28, 2008, 11:28 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn is confident Roy Keane will be at the club next season despite being linked with the vacant manager's job at Chelsea.

The Irishman has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Avram Grant at Stamford Bridge but Quinn is calm on the matter.

He said: 'I am not overly surprised that Roy has been linked.

'But rather than fret about it, I would take it as a positive that we must be doing something right as a football club.

'And remember, Roy is still under contract at Sunderland for next season and I am pretty happy at this stage that he will be with us for a long time to come.'

Keane took over at the Stadium of Light in August 2006 in his first management post, and has since masterminded the club's return to the Premier League and its consolidation in the top flight.

That has helped to enhance his reputation, but the former Manchester United skipper insists he has much to learn and that no-one at Sunderland made more mistakes than he did last season.

Quinn remains hopeful that Keane will extend his stay on Wearside by signing a new contract, something about which the manager remains relaxed.

However, there is little doubt that a man who was a winner as a player will attract attention as long as he continues to learn his trade at a rapid pace.

Keane invested around £44million in new signings last season and is currently preparing to launch a new recruitment drive as he attempts to establish his club in the Premier League.

• 4 weeks later...

BBC SPORT news flash

Ref url:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7467056.stm

Ex-Sunderland keeper found dead

Mr Carter was an academy coach (photo courtesy Sunderland Echo)

Former Sunderland goalkeeper Tim Carter has been found dead in Manchester.

The body of the 40-year-old, from County Durham, was discovered in bushes by a passer-by in the Highfield Close area of Stretford, Greater Manchester.

Emergency services were called, and he was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at midday on Friday.

The death of Mr Carter, recently appointed as Sunderland Academy goalkeeping coach, is not being treated as suspicious, according to police.

He played 50 games for the Black Cats, between 1987 and 1992, and had been the first-team goalkeeping coach before the arrival of Raimond Van Der Gouw in summer 2007.

Mr Carter also coached the goalkeepers in Estonia's national side on a part-time basis.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said a post-mortem would be carried out in due course.

Carter started his career at Bristol Rovers and also played for Hartlepool, Millwall, Oxford and Halifax.

Unquote.

Sorry it,s not good news, i,m posting for you all.

May he rest in peace

marshbags

There is a local website that i,ve just spotted with more detailed news that he sadly took his own life.

Ref url:- http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/manchest...shes.4210773.jp

RIP