ice cubes

Anthony5

As for ice, the 7/11s sell it ready in bags. Calculating the convenience of the 8 Baht (I think) it costs versus sourcing those bags, the expense of them and the electricity needed to freeze the water, the 7/11 bags win hands down.

• Like 1

There is a kitchen supply store next to Foodland in central Pattaya. It is across the small soi. They might have your egg cups as well as the ice trays - not 100% sure though. There is another kitchen supply store across the street from Royal Garden Plaza. They have a lot of things as well. Good luck and season's greetings.

• Like 1

As for ice, the 7/11s sell it ready in bags. Calculating the convenience of the 8 Baht (I think) it costs versus sourcing those bags, the expense of them and the electricity needed to freeze the water, the 7/11 bags win hands down.

The problem is that when you buy a bag of ice at 7/11, unless you live right above the store, it will be partially melted and stick before you reach home.

Also if you have much ice in the tray, my tray is actually to small for such a 8 Baht bag, it will become one big ice cube over time.

The bags deliver nice round cubes which never stick together. The electricity is used anyway.

kb0048.jpg

Edited by Anthony5

The problem is that when you buy a bag of ice at 7/11, unless you live right above the store, it will be partially melted and stick before you reach home.

Also if you have much ice in the tray, my tray is actually to small for such a 8 Baht bag, it will become one big ice cube over time.

The bags deliver nice round cubes which never stick together. The electricity is used anyway.

kb0048.jpg

Never heard or seen such a thing. I'm going with the "seven" ice but I'm going all hiso and recommending the Japanese brand Kobota (or something like that) ice for 15 baht a bag. Supposedly cleaner water. The cubes are also larger and crystal clear and not as much shaved-ice wastage at the bottom of the bags. Supposedly they don't melt as fast in one's drink either *is this actually possible...do the physics of thermodynamics allow this). Not all the "seven" carry the Kobota ice (maybe 70%) of the larger ones do. Unless you live in a cave or something, you can't be more than 5-10 minutes from the nearest "seven" so minimal ice is lost to meltage.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

kb0048.jpg

Never heard or seen such a thing. I'm going with the "seven" ice but I'm going all hiso and recommending the Japanese brand Kobota (or something like that) ice for 15 baht a bag. Supposedly cleaner water. The cubes are also larger and crystal clear and not as much shaved-ice wastage at the bottom of the bags. Supposedly they don't melt as fast in one's drink either *is this actually possible...do the physics of thermodynamics allow this). Not all the "seven" carry the Kobota ice (maybe 70%) of the larger ones do. Unless you live in a cave or something, you can't be more than 5-10 minutes from the nearest "seven" so minimal ice is lost to meltage.

You think so?

I did the test a few days ago with a digital thermometer inside the freezer.

When I open the door the temperature measured by the thermometer inside the freezer, not at the edge, went from -19 to +5 in less than 30 seconds.

So you want to claim that ice in the heat for 10 minutes, actually I'm sure I can't make it in less than 20 minutes between the point that I take the bag out of the freezer at 7 and pour them in my own freezer, will not start melting?

By the way the bags like I pictured are common used in Europe since Jesus was born.

kb0048.jpg

You think so?

I did the test a few days ago with a digital thermometer inside the freezer.

When I open the door the temperature measured by the thermometer inside the freezer, not at the edge, went from -19 to +5 in less than 30 seconds.

So you want to claim that ice in the heat for 10 minutes, actually I'm sure I can't make it in less than 20 minutes between the point that I take the bag out of the freezer at 7 and pour them in my own freezer, will not start melting?

By the way the bags like I pictured are common used in Europe since Jesus was born.

No you misunderstood me, that Kubota ice supposedly some mineral or something is added to the water before freezing so the cubes last longer while in the glass of whatever it's cooling. I guess by extension, this also means they would melt less than regular ice when exposed to outside temps as well. I guess you live farther out than many because I've got 5 "sevens" within 5 minutes of my place. In any the worse case, how much meltage can there be...not much.

That explains it...I've never lived in Europe and I wasn't around at the time of Christ. In any case, I've lived in Patts for over 10 years and never seen anything like those ice-bags but maybe someone else has...good luck finding them.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The Jap ice at 7-eleven is also my favourite since it doesn't 'clump' like the cheaper bagged stuff.

If the OP pops upstairs at Friendship on Tai, there's some Srithai Wear brand miniature cups that may serve as egg cups.

I have successfully imported egg cups TWICE from the UK, along with a decent teapot and tea cosey. Some decent things still need to be brought from home.

The ice cube bags are definitely available here (or at least they were) because I have some in my kitchen that I bought here. Trouble is I bought them ages ago and can't remember where, but it would have been either Foodland, Villa, Friendship or Makro.

I'll be flying into Thailand on the 8th. Do you want me to pick up a few bags for you?

After living in humid & hot weather I get the ice starts to melt/clumps together then you'll need a chisel to break the ice apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome to bring some if you can, it will be much appreciated, since I still haven't found them here.

PM sent.

Checked the box of ice cube bags in my kitchen cupboard and the price stamp was from Central, so that's where i bought mine.

Thanks Jimmy, I found out already that Friendship, foodland or Makro don't have them.

Will take a look at Central.

Found them on Amazon also, but they don't ship here.

On Alixpress 11$ for 100 x 28 ice cubes, but the supplier has a low rating and doesn't respond to emails, so bit tricky

On Ebay about 180 Baht for 10 x 28 ice cubes, probably the same as on Amazon and Aliexpress smile.png

Edited by Anthony5

Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase with my previous post. I'd also suggest you try both the supermarket next to the food court on the ground floor of Central, and also the kitchenware section up on the 4th or 5th floor. I'm pretty sure I found them in the kitchenware section, but let's face it, I couldn't even remember which store so better not take my word for it.

I saw these on Ebay UK: 10 x 24 bags for GBP 1.75 + GBP 3.75 for shipping, so i guess around 300 Baht all-in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chef-Aid-Ice-Cube-Bags-10-x-24-/281488421361?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item418a0471f1

Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase with my previous post. I'd also suggest you try both the supermarket next to the food court on the ground floor of Central, and also the kitchenware section up on the 4th or 5th floor. I'm pretty sure I found them in the kitchenware section, but let's face it, I couldn't even remember which store so better not take my word for it.

I saw these on Ebay UK: 10 x 24 bags for GBP 1.75 + GBP 3.75 for shipping, so i guess around 300 Baht all-in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chef-Aid-Ice-Cube-Bags-10-x-24-/281488421361?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item418a0471f1

That's the one I saw also, but I think a bit steep at 5.5 Pound for 240 ice cubes when they are 8$ for 2500 cubes on Amazon and 11$ for 2800 cubes on Aliexpress.

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship to Thailand and the Aliexpress seller doesn't respond to an email sent through the system.

Big difference. Maybe you could buy them on Amazon and have them sent to the person who offered to bring some over here for you?

That person has only logged in one time to make that post, never again later, and doesn't respond to PM.

I will have a look at Central department later this week.

Edited by Anthony5