Bueng Kan immigration office refused my retirement extension

I think they are becoming more aware of the differing nature of these declarations from the various foreign consulates.

For example, the U.S. simply ask that the citizen swears an affidavit to the effect that what income he is claiming to receive is true without actually having to produce evidence in support. Whereas the British consular official demands sight of an original pension statement and evidence of it passing through your bank account.

Not sure if the Aussie consulate do the same as the septics but in any event it would explain why some Americans are getting a rough ride and have to show a financial paper trail. The marriage evidence is redundant but I should imagine the immigration officer concerned is just flexing his bureaucratic muscles.

In the end, if they become too tedious just hop off home and get multiple visit visas and <deleted> 'em. Another avenue would be to challenge the senior officer and submit an appeal to HQ in Bangkok. I do believe there is provision for this in the last police Act.

We are not talking SWIFT transfers when recommending Bangkok Bank. They are domestic ACH transfers so most US banks can do them free of charge - so the only fee is the Bangkok Bank New York charge for service (free to $10 for most) and the normal 1/4% in range of 200-500 baht at Thai end. Exchange rate is the full normal rate so nothing is being lost.

So if you can do bank SWIFT for $10 or less and get full exchange rate go for it.

Yes ACH is not SWIFT...I'm just saying they accomplish the same thing so are alternatives to each other. My bank charges 25$ per transfer no matter the amount. I usually transfer $10_20k at a time so cost is di minimus.

In any case, they both get the job done and I've given my reasons for not recommending BB and people can decide what works best for them.

I think they are becoming more aware of the differing nature of these declarations from the various foreign consulates.

For example, the U.S. simply ask that the citizen swears an affidavit to the effect that what income he is claiming to receive is true without actually having to produce evidence in support. Whereas the British consular official demands sight of an original pension statement and evidence of it passing through your bank account.

Not sure if the Aussie consulate do the same as the septics but in any event it would explain why some Americans are getting a rough ride and have to show a financial paper trail. The marriage evidence is redundant but I should imagine the immigration officer concerned is just flexing his bureaucratic muscles.

In the end, if they become too tedious just hop off home and get multiple visit visas and <deleted> 'em. Another avenue would be to challenge the senior officer and submit an appeal to HQ in Bangkok. I do believe there is provision for this in the last police Act.

I believe that the Australian Embassy follow the American model in issuing income confirmation letters on the basis of sworn affidavits. And presumably Immigration are, as you say, well aware of which embassies require documentary proof and which don't. In any event, the introduction of a specific requirement for retirees relying on the Embassy letter method of proving finances to actually import 65,000 THB into LOS each month would be unlikely to cause me any problems personally, thanks to my darling wife and her family who provide me with more than enough assistance in ensuring that this end is achievedbiggrin.png

Edited by OJAS

OK. So right now I am sitting in a French restaurant in Savannakhet waiting until this afternoon when I can go pick up my passport with my new multiple entry non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai. I drove to the bridge and only waited a few minutes for the bus to the Lao side of the bridge. I had my Lao VOA paperwork all ready to present and it only took 5 minutes to get the Lao visa. I then waited another 5 minutes to get stamped into Lao. No problem. No one asked me for money on my way through. I then took a tuk-tuk to the Thai consolate for 160 ฿ negotiated down from 200 ฿. I arrived at the consulate at 8:40am and there were only a few people standing in line. The sign said they open at 8:30 but they did not open the gate until 9am. I got to the window very quickly and handed them the bare minimum paperwork for a visa based on marriage. Showed no financials. He only asked to see the original marriage certificate, which I gave him. He examined it and then returned it and asked for 5000 ฿. He then gave me my ticket which allows me to pick up my passport in the afternoon. I heard him tell someone that the pickup would start at 3:30. So now that I have eaten, I shall go exploring in the direction of the river and see what interesting things I can find. I did bring my camera. Will update later today.

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1

The visa pickup was a bit crowded at 3:30PM, but when they gave me back my passport, it had the non-immigrant O multiple entry just as I had asked for. Got the tuk-tuk back to the bridge, waited for the bus to take me across the bridge, got stamped in to Thailand, got in my truck and drove the three hours home. All done in one day.

This new visa will give me time to either adjust my finances to the way that Bueng Kan immigration wants to see them, or to move to another province where the 65,000 per month income is not required to be spent in Thailand every month as Bueng Kan expects me to do.

As well as the 800,000 in the bank there is also the combination method you could try or as you are married what about an extension based on marriage, there are a number of solutions to the problem.

I show an income of over 65,000 but I dont transfer that amount it just isnt needed, tho I do transfer funds here rather than relying on ATM receipts for additional proof, I also keep 200,000 in a separate account to deal with fluctuation in exchange rates and use the combo method if required.

Or just forget extensions and use visa entry/exit bit (decade). It can make a nice holiday trip every few months if you like to travel a bit. Did this for many years after marriage myself - and Malaysia was a lot further distance from Bangkok than Laos appears to be from you.

I have done my retirement extensions at Bangkok for the last five years - and have never been asked for additional documentation of finances beyond the U.S. notarized letter - I do understand that they might ask and I do bring my bankbook just in case - but they have never asked. From reading numerous accounts of smaller offices asking for additional documentation, it just seems that they are putting up barriers looking for tea money. If some people use handling agents ("fixers") - that is their choice but I do wonder if that also involves bribes to Thai officials. I am not a crusader - but I do my best to not support the corruption machine that exists in Thailand. However, sometimes it just isn't possible to avoid a small contribution without a major inconvenience or a denial of extension - eventually, I want to move outside of Thailand but dread the problems associated with these smaller offices causing unjustified obsticles.

Edited by KED
  • Like 1

The reports are that no Lao VOA is available at the Paksan crossing, although that may change since the plans to build another bridge there were recently announced.

But the Lao VOA is available at the bridge just north of Nakhon Phanom. That is just over an hour from me. That's where I will be going for my border run coming up in three months.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.