Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

I sorted for a guy too...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eskatonia said:

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

21 hours ago, sungod said:

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

There are numerous lifts that can take you there . 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Are you actually reading any of these posts?

On 12/01/2017 at 5:28 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

Not really, they require 1 photo ID and one address verification, normally this would be your old passport, but if lost/damaged they'd accept a UK license.

I dare say that when the lift is out of service, they use one of the other 3.

Parking in the carpark does make it a little confusing the first visit, you have to go down to go up, and there's another set of lifts that don't service higher floors, but yeah, once you're in the main lobby, there is a VFS desk to ask if need be.

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

<deleted>?  IT IS ACCESSABLE, there are lifts.  According to your logic every single office which isn't on the ground floor is in violation of the disability discrimination act because a lift might potentially break down.  It doesn't work that way.  Also as has been pointed out, you don't have to go in person if you're not able to, you can send someone else and sign a doc to authorise them to do it for you.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2015 at 6:09 PM, donsimon said:

As a follow up to the above posts, its useful to know that in the lobby of trendy building there are copy shops with xerox machines and translation servies, offering translation for 150 baht, wish id known this in advance!

Great. How about Passport Photos (in the lobby)? Any one Know? Thanks.

Mon.

7 hours ago, Mon_the_mon said:

Mon.

I did my UK passport renewal on tuesday,I used one of the visa/translation services in the lobby to make colour photo copies of my old passport (all charged the same 20 baht/copy total cost was 360 baht) as I had passport photos already I did not need to have these done however they offer this photo service also,at what cost I do not know.Once you go up to floor 28 to the VFS offices they have a photo copier and photo booth in there also again at what cost I do not know....for my proof of residence I used a recent bank statement (in English) and this was happily accepted,from sitting down in front of the VFS agent and her checking my documents and me leaving was all of ten minutes. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Mon_the_mon said:

Mon.

The following is from the visa part of the VFS website; but I imagine it's the same for passport applicants.

Photocopying service

A photocopying service is available for applicants at 3 Baht per copy.

Photograph service

Applicants using this service can have their photograph taken at the visa application centre. This will ensure that the photographs meet UK Visas and Immigration requirements. The fee is 250 Baht for 6 passport size photographs.

On 2/26/2017 at 4:24 PM, petermik said:

I did my UK passport renewal on tuesday,I used one of the visa/translation services in the lobby to make colour photo copies of my old passport (all charged the same 20 baht/copy total cost was 360 baht) as I had passport photos already I did not need to have these done however they offer this photo service also,at what cost I do not know.Once you go up to floor 28 to the VFS offices they have a photo copier and photo booth in there also again at what cost I do not know....for my proof of residence I used a recent bank statement (in English) and this was happily accepted,from sitting down in front of the VFS agent and her checking my documents and me leaving was all of ten minutes. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yes, I got the photos done at a lawyer type office at the back of the lobby on right facing the banks of lifts. THB 200.- for 6 pics. I was 20 mins late for my appointment (about the time it took for the photos), but it wasn't commented on. There seemed a lot of people there on this Monday morning, but when I was shown into  a room with 3 or four manned, but otherwise empty booths. It was all very quick after a bit of painless queuing for the lifts, bags check and reception on 28th floor.

I was disappointed with the previously mentioned Indian 50m. further down the soi. Maybe I was a bit early for lunch. No one there. No paneer, owner tells me they've run out because so many customers already today. I hate being lied to, but when it's so blatant in this big empty restaurant - it's just funny. Dahl Fry and one Naan was 210 Baht. Sweet Lassie was 100.- Chai was 30.-  The Vegetarian Tali is now priced at THB 250.- on the menu. Didn't try it though.

Thanks to the people that replied to my photies question.

Cheers,

Mon.

• 2 months later...
On 24 May 2015 at 6:09 PM, donsimon said:

As a follow up to the above posts, its useful to know that in the lobby of trendy building there are copy shops with xerox machines and translation servies, offering translation for 150 baht, wish id known this in advance!

I'd like to get a confirmation that the translation services mentioned are still offered and accepted for British passport applications in 2017.

8 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'd like to get a confirmation that the translation services mentioned are still offered and accepted for British passport applications in 2017.

I may have hit a bad time but when I need a translation I couldn't find one on the ground floor that would do it the same day, they all said come back tomorrow.

One of them sent me upstairs, on the first floor and along to the left, with respect to the main door, about 50 yards along on the right, They did it in an hour but charged 300 baht.

10 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

As far as I am aware, there are still translation services based in the building.

Any and all translation services are acceptable, as long as each translated document contains:  

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document  
  • the date of the translation  
  • the translator's full name and signature  
  • the translator's contact details.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As far as I am aware, there are still translation services based in the building.

Any and all translation services are acceptable, as long as each translated document contains:  

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document  
  • the date of the translation  
  • the translator's full name and signature  
  • the translator's contact details.

Doesnt the translator need to be affiliated to some group (of translators) and be sanctioned by the Thai gov ? 

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Doesnt the translator need to be affiliated to some group (of translators) and be sanctioned by the Thai gov ? 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not for a British passport!

Nor for UK visa applications or any other UK purpose.

Some governments, e.g. the Schengen states, want translations 'authorised' with a stamp from the Thai MFA; the UK government doesn't. 

• 4 months later...

Anyone had experience of renewing a child's passport?

I got a UK passport for my son shortly after he was born when the application had to be couriered to Hong Kong. Now it needs renewing. Reading the official website it would appear that I would not be required to drag along a lively 5 year old to the interview. Can anyone confirm this?

I have just returned from 5 week visit to the UK. I did ask whether I could renew his passport while I was there (as I did for mine last year). I was told that I could not as he  did not travel with me this time.  Oh, well....

13 hours ago, sniggie said:

Anyone had experience of renewing a child's passport?

I got a UK passport for my son shortly after he was born when the application had to be couriered to Hong Kong. Now it needs renewing. Reading the official website it would appear that I would not be required to drag along a lively 5 year old to the interview. Can anyone confirm this?

I have just returned from 5 week visit to the UK. I did ask whether I could renew his passport while I was there (as I did for mine last year). I was told that I could not as he  did not travel with me this time.  Oh, well....

There is no such thing as an interview - just an appointment to submit the application. You are applying on behalf of the child so only you need to attend (if you want to visit Bangkok).

The application and 1 of 2 photos will need to be countersigned. Address verification is always a challenge as not many people have many of the listed documents.

As sungod said, just take your time going through the website..... (linked from British Embassy Bangkok website to gov.uk )

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, transam said:

Think it is 85 + 23 quid for the courier fee for the basic one... 

That is the old fee...... and wrong :shock1:.......... the HMPO site does not quote any 'new' prices.

Passport type Passport fee Cost with courier fee
Adult standard 32-page passport £83 £106.01
Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91 £114.01

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

That is the old fee...... and wrong :shock1:.......... the HMPO site does not quote any 'new' prices.

Passport type Passport fee Cost with courier fee
Adult standard 32-page passport £83 £106.01
Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91 £114.01

Hmmm, the new price I read must be from the old new price...:laugh:

49 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Does anyone know the new fees for UK passport renewal from Bangkok VFS. Apparently fees are being increased from 27th March 2018

My guess is that overseas renewal prices are not increasing....... nothing on the websites of HMPO or the main agents.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

My guess is that overseas renewal prices are not increasing....... nothing on the websites of HMPO or the main agents.

Given that the new fees have been structured around encouraging the use of HMPO's online facility for submitting applications, it looks like we can kiss goodbye to any prospect of being permitted to renew our passports online from Thailand for the foreseeable future at least.:sad:

• 4 months later...