Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

Hello

I realize this is an old post but I am currently sorting out a new passport and I was wondering, previously there were places around the British Embassy where you could get passport photos taken. Is that the case around the HMPO at Trendy Place?

BKKJ

You won't be getting a new passport from the British Embassy unless you happen to be collecting a service or a diplomatic passport.

Standard passports are now applied for at the Trendy building on Soi 13. There are several shops that will make an acceptable set of passport photos in the same building. Many are on the ground floor near the coffee shop.

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks

You have to be a little careful with these shops.

I am not sure how strictly the Trendy passport service are about sticking exactly to the guidelines given for head size in the UK passport regulations-it's given a range in millimetres. When I handed my paperwork in at the Trendy, they briefly held the photo against a blank diagram with the head sizes on it to compare, but they wouldn't have noticed a few mm out in either direction with this cursory glance.

I only say this because the photo shop I went to had no way of calculating or adjusting to the correct size, and looked at me as if I was crazy when I refused the first batch because the face was 3mm over-sized.

I didn't want to have my application refused and didn't know how stringent they would be at the Trendy Office, so I asked them to re-do, and they weren't pleased.

I may have been over-concerned though, as the shop said no-one has ever come back to complain...

It's something like this ....

Download the form and guidelines from their website.

Print out the form ... read the guide lines.

Complete form

Go to website and book an appointment

On the appointment day be at the counter at least 15mins before your appointment time

You can park in the Trendy Building

TBH it's easy ...just read the guidelines

Edited by JAS21

• 1 month later...

A great friendly shop to do all your preparation for an application is the Kodak shop on the corner of soi 6 beach road Jomtien, they know the photo requirement for a UK passport.

Also have fast internet PC's to download the forms, and colour copying of the old passport is cheap.

The shop by the immigration sent me there told me they do a better quality photo than they do, B120 for 8 pictures, color copy each page of old B10

The woman who did my photos (8 for B130) was aware only of the outline size and paid no attention to the other written requirements.

As at 23 May 2016 the price for each colour copy at this shop is B30 = B510 for 32 page passport.

I declined this price, my local shop (close to the Honda dealer near Soi Excite (sic) on 3 road/ Chaloemprakiat 23) does it for B20/copy

As it seems you can't pay cash for a replacement passport, does anyone know if a KTB CONVENIENCE CARD will be accepted ? I tried checking the KTB web site, but they don't show my card on their list. I only opened the account last week. There are sufficient funds to cover the £100+, but as I've just moved some money from my UK bank to Thailand I haven't funds in my UK account to cover the cost. The KTB card is a VISA.

I believe that the transaction is processed in the UK, so if your KTB Convenience Card is endorsed "electronic use only" then I suspect you will not be able to use it to pay for your passport.

If it's a virtual card that some banks issue, which I suspect from what you say it probably isn't, then you could probably use it.

I believe that the transaction is processed in the UK, so if your KTB Convenience Card is endorsed "electronic use only" then I suspect you will not be able to use it to pay for your passport.

If it's a virtual card that some banks issue, which I suspect from what you say it probably isn't, then you could probably use it.

Thanks for the reply. My card has a 3 digit security number on the back and is chipped. So it looks kosher, but whilst it has a "valid from" date it does show an expiry date, which the passport application form asks for, so I'm not totally sure.

Will be applying for mine next week. However....I was wondering about how to fill in the address part of the application form..

Do you write it ( in English of course ) using the Thai words ....ie :

312 Moo 4

Dtambon Ban Non Lap

Amper Prayuen

Jangwat Lop Buri.

or do you have to translate it as :

312 Village 4

District Ban Non Lap

Borough Prayuen

Province Lop Buri

Silly question but better safe than sorry.

Will be applying for mine next week. However....I was wondering about how to fill in the address part of the application form..

312 Moo 4

Dtambon Ban Non Lap

Amper Prayuen

Jangwat Lop Buri.

312 Village 4

District Ban Non Lap

Borough Prayuen

Province Lop Buri

In communication with any authority in the UK I have always put M2 as my road and Buriram Province. The most important thing seems to be the post code.

312 Moo 4

Dtambon Ban Non Lap

Amper Prayuen

Jangwat Lop Buri.

312 Village 4

District Ban Non Lap

Borough Prayuen

Province Lop Buri

I wrote mine in the application form the exact same as was written in my proof of address.

312 Moo 4

Dtambon Ban Non Lap

Amper Prayuen

Jangwat Lop Buri.

312 Village 4

District Ban Non Lap

Borough Prayuen

Province Lop Buri

I wrote mine in the application form the exact same as was written in my proof of address.

Thanks for both the above answers. As soon as I get my proof of address translated I will use that translation as suggested.

312 Moo 4

Dtambon Ban Non Lap

Amper Prayuen

Jangwat Lop Buri.

312 Village 4

District Ban Non Lap

Borough Prayuen

Province Lop Buri

312 M4

T. Ban Non Lap

A. Prayuen

Lop Buri

Don't forget the post code. Take your pick...

Mueang Lopburi 15000
Ban Mi 15110
Chai Badan 15130
Khok Charoen 15250
Khok Samrong 15120
Lam Sonthi 15190
Nong Muang 15170
Phatthana Nikhom 15140
Sa Bot 15240
Tha Luang 15130
Tha Wung 15150
Edited by NanLaew

living in korat which is a 5hr.trip to bkk.and 5hrs.back [twice] i used key visathailand pattaya to renew my passport.

i got all the paper work filled in myself,only problem was the credit card form,as i dont have one.that wasnt a problem as i got someone else to do the duty.

sent it to them and they done all the rest,photo copies,going to the agency in bkk.no hassle everything went smooth,just wait for the courier to deliver my new passport to my front door.

cost was 5,100bht. which i thought was good value.

living in korat which is a 5hr.trip to bkk.and 5hrs.back [twice] i used key visathailand pattaya to renew my passport.

i got all the paper work filled in myself,only problem was the credit card form,as i dont have one.that wasnt a problem as i got someone else to do the duty.

sent it to them and they done all the rest,photo copies,going to the agency in bkk.no hassle everything went smooth,just wait for the courier to deliver my new passport to my front door.

So the new passport will arrive with you by courier or EMS?

as the passport will come from the uk.direct to me,it will have to be signed for.

as the passport will come from the uk.direct to me,it will have to be signed for.

It doesn't go direct to you - it goes back to VFS in Bangkok........ then BKK to you via the collecting agent.

It doesn't go direct to you - it goes back to VFS in Bangkok........ then BKK to you via the collecting agent.

sorry jip you are right,keyvisa picks it up at trendy and post it via ems to me.

• Like 1

I have to renew my UK passport this year, and the procedure seems fairly straightforward. My concern is with transferring the visa and other information from the old passport to the new one. 10 years ago when I did this the immigration officer at Phuket did this just by putting a stamp in the new passport with the data written in - date of entry, old passport number and so on. Is this still the same, can it be done at the same time as the retirement visa extension, or is there some new method for jumping through hoops?

• 2 weeks later...

cannot fault the service, my new passport will be here on monday.[korat] via key visathailand pattaya.

I have to renew my UK passport this year, and the procedure seems fairly straightforward. My concern is with transferring the visa and other information from the old passport to the new one. 10 years ago when I did this the immigration officer at Phuket did this just by putting a stamp in the new passport with the data written in - date of entry, old passport number and so on. Is this still the same, can it be done at the same time as the retirement visa extension, or is there some new method for jumping through hoops?

. I have done this for an Elderly Brit who can't travel.You need to copy every page of the old Passport and sign all the copies..This seemed strange recording an invalid document.Had to drive long way back to his house so he could sign the Invalid copies.TIT.

cannot fault the service, my new passport will be here on monday.[korat] via key visathailand pattaya.

Have you been able to hang on to your existing passport during the renewal process? Or did you have to send this off along with the paperwork to Key Visa Thailand?

Have you been able to hang on to your existing passport during the renewal process? Or did you have to send this off along with the paperwork to Key Visa Thailand?

yes i had to send it by ems.to key visa,i did take copies of every page,so i made sure i didnt need it.in over 34yrs.i have never once been asked to produce my passport,but there's always a first time.

thats the only concern i had was having to send my original passport,but i suppose its just as safe as having to do 4 x 5hr.trips on a bus.with it in your pocket.

• 1 month later...

Can I get a new British passport in Thailand. With no work visa or anything I am on a tourist visa. I have a condo contact but no utility bills they are all in my landlords name. And I don't have a Thai bank account.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Can I get a new British passport in Thailand. With no work visa or anything I am on a tourist visa. I have a condo contact but no utility bills they are all in my landlords name. And I don't have a Thai bank account.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Renewal of a British passport is unrelated to the things you mentioned.

Payment for the renewal is by credit card authorisation form and is in Sterling.

You will need to evidence your address and, in the absence of having any suitable post addressed to you, I would recommend the following:-

Submit a copy of your condo agreement - maybe with a covering letter from the landlord stating that you have been a tenant at XYZ address since dd/mm/yy. Send this with a covering letter stating exactly what your circumstances are i.e. residing in Thailand on a TV and living in AAA condo but all utility bills etc are in the landlords name. Paint a picture of your situation.

HMPO in Liverpool have been extremely helpful in similar situations and will respond positively if your situation is properly explained.

Ask the Immigration Police to show You next time you go

I am not in the habit of asking for non-existent things.

But, as you seem to think that such an order exists, perhaps YOU can ask them on your next visit.

Please report back - I am happy to eat my words when you can produce such evidence.