Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/22/2016 at 2:56 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

I got my new passport by applying on a Wednesday and pickup a week on Tuesday, so 13 days inc two weekends ain't bad!

Q. My passport has an opaque yellow sticker on back page with "Please remove this label" printed on it. Also the accompanying guide pamphlet it says "The label on the back page of passport was used during the production process and can now be removed.". All quite straight forward one might think, but under the yellow label is another hidden transparent stuck on label that looks like an RFID chip! Can this label be removed as well or whats its purpose?

The label/chip is used to track it in production I read somewhere.  It can be removed.

38 minutes ago, neveragain said:

Having read through all the information,am I correct in thinking that as I do not have a credit card I must return to The UK to renew my passport there? If I have to do that would that not also mean that my re-entry visa would be invalid as it would be in the old passport?

It doesn't have to be your card.  Ask a friend/relative.  Beats going back.

3 hours ago, neveragain said:

Having read through all the information,am I correct in thinking that as I do not have a credit card I must return to The UK to renew my passport there? If I have to do that would that not also mean that my re-entry visa would be invalid as it would be in the old passport?

I am quite sure that such a trip would not invalidate your re-entry visa. Carry both passports. Check with immigration if you have any doubts.

But do you really want to do it the hard way? Don't you know anyone who has a UK based credit or debit card who can pay on your behalf?

• 2 weeks later...

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT VFS ACCESS for UK and Australia business

Did my application yesterday, with interview scheduled at 11:45 got to Trendy at 11:30 but spent the next 15 minutes getting the British section on floor 28. My first visit to this building

Took a car and driver from Hua Hin drove into car park on the 5th Floor, as directed , not clear how to enter office building finally find entrance (at the far end from were your vehicle enters) and walk in there are two sets of wallclimber lifts some distance away, the further set has a small notice go to Eighth floor for VFS. Interminable wait for lift on the 8th there is a sign for VFS, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland nothing about England ask the security Guard 'Angkrit' dumb look walk into the Scandinavian office find a guy in a shirt who speaks English go to floor 28. He  tells me these is a sign, show him the only sign no UK mention (nor Australia also on 28).

Wait for lift also interminable, again. transpires there is only one lift that goes to the 28th.

Go thru security.

Guard tries to wave me into the visa section. I find to get to the passport section you need to  report to a desk labeled UKVI. (obviously)

Get numbered ticket immediately called to passport section.

Quite flustered by this time whilst I gave the right documents I gave the wrong photos, then the correct ones, she was suspicious that they were over a month old, and that I looked too much like my 2007 passport. What matters of course  is if they look my me now, which they did. (and the Oil painting in the loft is working).

Anyway concluded passport supposed to be six weeks.

I'm a long time Thailand Resident and in the past worked for four years in Bangkok, so am used to poor or non existent signage and rotten lifts. but this is something else.

There is nothing on the VFS website about these arrangements. When you book and appointment you a note telling you about the documents you need to bring, it also asks you not to arrive more than 15 minutes before your appointment. But gives no detail about this daft access arrangement.

No doubt those of you who walk through the front door on the ground have it easier, do you?

Obviously whoever designated the floor numbering was a fan of Dr Who :laugh:  just received my notification passport ready for collection 9 days from application, only small grip i would have expected the receptionist on my day to be able to speak clearly in English not a blurry Thai English only just understood directions to lift for the "28 floor"

14 minutes ago, kartman said:

Obviously whoever designated the floor numbering was a fan of Dr Who :laugh:  just received my notification passport ready for collection 9 days from application, only small grip i would have expected the receptionist on my day to be able to speak clearly in English not a blurry Thai English only just understood directions to lift for the "28 floor"

Their English is better than my Thai, and a simple finger point tells you where the elevator is...:smile:

On 10/20/2016 at 0:15 PM, kartman said:

And no doubt the HMPO solution to this problem will be to require us Brits to provide certified Thai translations of all completed passport application and payment authorisation forms, supporting docs, email exchanges, etc, solely for the benefit and convenience of the With-It Tower Mob!:shock1:

• 2 months later...

I went today to get UK passport renewed.  There is a VFS front desk right inside the door, they speak english and directed me to the lift to 28th floor, pretty clear and straight forward.  Staff were efficient and helpful.  It seems if you have a work permit you don't need any proof of address, from what I can tell what they care about is that you're legally a resident of Thailand, not about where you live, so copy of work permit takes care of that.

I also had bank statements with my address but wasn't asked for them.  I also had a copy of my UK drivers license and they took that as well.  All good, in and out in 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, eskatonia said:

I went today to get UK passport renewed.  There is a VFS front desk right inside the door, they speak english and directed me to the lift to 28th floor, pretty clear and straight forward.  Staff were efficient and helpful.  It seems if you have a work permit you don't need any proof of address, from what I can tell what they care about is that you're legally a resident of Thailand, not about where you live, so copy of work permit takes care of that.

I also had bank statements with my address but wasn't asked for them.  I also had a copy of my UK drivers license and they took that as well.  All good, in and out in 15 minutes.

Is there really only 1 lift to the 28th floor in With-It Tower?

If so what happens when that lift is out of order (not an uncommon occurrence, I would imagine, given all the use to which it is put)? Are you expected to trudge up 28 flights of stairs somehow, and, if so, do VFS cut any slack if you are late for your appointment as a result?

52 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Is there really only 1 lift to the 28th floor in With-It Tower?

If so what happens when that lift is out of order (not an uncommon occurrence, I would imagine, given all the use to which it is put)? Are you expected to trudge up 28 flights of stairs somehow, and, if so, do VFS cut any slack if you are late for your appointment as a result?

I seem to recall that there were four lifts .

VFS are quite flexible in their appointment times .

Mine was at 3.00 pm and I went in at 9.30 am

2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

Does your UK licence show your Thailand address.  

I was told a UK driving licence could only be registered to a UK address

44 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

Not sure why you're making the lift out to be a big deal.  There are other lifts that go to the 27th floor, so I imagine if the 28th floor lift was broken you'd go to the 27th floor and walk up one flight of stairs.

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

28 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

53 minutes ago, eskatonia said:
1 hour ago, agudbuk said:

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

The Trendy is a big office building / condo complex. There are numerous lifts.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:53 PM, OJAS said:

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

Archived