Lifan 250 V Twin (Owners: up-to-date reviews & thoughts please!)

logan26

A google search "Lifan 250 V Twin Review - Thailand", reveals quite a lot of posts on this bike for the years between 2009 and 2012, but nothing much over the last two years.

So owners, how are you getting on with this bike? Has it proved people wrong (those people who suggested it would be a piece of junk, when it was first released here)?

What are the Pros and Cons ? What about longevity? Would you recommend it?

Sadly in this brutal world: you get what you pay for.

Honestly, I don't know how good/bad they are but I will tell you this; I stay as far away from them as possible and will never buy one myself.

I rather pay same money and get something made in Thailand despite maybe less cc/horsepower but FI (fuel injection).

Also resale values to consider, not many wants to buy a 2nd hand Lifan.

• Like 2

All reports i read here were more or less positive. There were some reports of fading colors, weak rear shocks and similar things. Many people would recommend a used Phantom over the Lifan. On the other hand most Lifan owner were (more or less) happy with the bikes but complain about service quality. There are also some Keeway Cruisers with 200-250cc. If you like such small bikes there isnt much else to choose from.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

All reports i read here were more or less positive. There were some reports of fading colors, weak rear shocks and similar things. Many people would recommend a used Phantom over the Lifan. On the other hand most Lifan owner were (more or less) happy with the bikes but complain about service quality. There are also some Keeway Cruisers with 200-250cc. If you like such small bikes there isnt much else to choose from.

I.ve had mine for over 2 yrs, tricked it out cosmetically for my tastes, and as long as I keep it out of the dealership service center, she runs just fine. After talking to Phantom owners, I just as soon not bother with that oddity. There.s a reason they discontinued those. The claim to fame that few seem to be aware of, or soon forget reading is, the V250 is an entry level motorcycle. I bought mine with 1000km on it from a friend that became too ill to ride anymore. I.ve got the deep red paint and its not faded yet, the shocks have done me well, but noteworthy I am a lean guy, once in a while, have my 90kilo wife on the back, so although hitting a few pot holes and surprise speed bumps, I cant say that Ive done more than break them in.

For service I have used Bull Motorcycle Shop which used to be down by the river, but since moving, I haven.t located their new address. I need them to do a proper clutch adjustment at both ends of the cable. Dealership couldn.t even do that right, and came away worse than before. Bottom line, for 79,000B/$2000 youre not getting hurt buying one. My train of thought was and is, if the Lifan V250 only lasts 3 or 4 yrs and dies, I can pay cash for a new one every time, and still save money with no payments and interest on one of the big brands. At entry level, it tops out at 100kph, which is fine with me. Unlike my crotch rocket friends, I like see the scenery Im passing.

• Like 1

I.ve had mine for over 2 yrs, tricked it out cosmetically for my tastes, and as long as I keep it out of the dealership service center, she runs just fine. After talking to Phantom owners, I just as soon not bother with that oddity. There.s a reason they discontinued those. The claim to fame that few seem to be aware of, or soon forget reading is, the V250 is an entry level motorcycle. I bought mine with 1000km on it from a friend that became too ill to ride anymore. I.ve got the deep red paint and its not faded yet, the shocks have done me well, but noteworthy I am a lean guy, once in a while, have my 90kilo wife on the back, so although hitting a few pot holes and surprise speed bumps, I cant say that Ive done more than break them in.

For service I have used Bull Motorcycle Shop which used to be down by the river, but since moving, I haven.t located their new address. I need them to do a proper clutch adjustment at both ends of the cable. Dealership couldn.t even do that right, and came away worse than before. Bottom line, for 79,000B/$2000 youre not getting hurt buying one. My train of thought was and is, if the Lifan V250 only lasts 3 or 4 yrs and dies, I can pay cash for a new one every time, and still save money with no payments and interest on one of the big brands. At entry level, it tops out at 100kph, which is fine with me. Unlike my crotch rocket friends, I like see the scenery Im passing.

I know that you're an American, but you realise that 90kg = 198 pounds?

Had one for 18 months from new .Main faults were weak suspension front and back .Cheap soft fuel line .Paint started to bubble up in places .Big loss on resale .Down from B78,000 to B55,000 .I only done 4 ,000 km .,and had no big problems .The Guy i sold it to ,reported many problems .

An update; The wife and I found the new Bull Motorcycle shop, on Mohodol Rd. and were happy to learn they will open a larger shop on 700 yr. rd in a new complex by the end of Jan. More room for parking cars/bikes. They have since, 500b house call, come to my home to service my cruiser.I didnt feel safe to ride to them.They inspected the clutch, linkage, and cable, lubed it well, made an adjustment. I tested it around the mooban and for the first time ever, she shifted perfectly, curing the ever annoying habit of not being able to get it into neutral. Back to the house, I mentioned an long time rubbing sound. they checked into that and found the chain worn excessively. Good I regularly oiled it. It could have snapped at any time. Now the old girl waits for them to return with a new heavy duty chain with oil rings. That had to be ordered. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. I recommend this shop enthusiastically. Jan 10

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that you're an American, but you realise that 90kg = 198 pounds?

Thanks for catching that for me. I meant pounds. she is 90 pounds. My ex was over 90 kilo. harharharhar.

• Like 1

An update; The wife and I found the new Bull Motorcycle shop, on Mohodol Rd. and were happy to learn they will open a larger shop on 700 yr. rd in a new complex by the end of Jan. More room for parking cars/bikes. They have since, 500b house call, come to my home to service my cruiser.I didnt feel safe to ride to them.They inspected the clutch, linkage, and cable, lubed it well, made an adjustment. I tested it around the mooban and for the first time ever, she shifted perfectly, curing the ever annoying habit of not being able to get it into neutral. Back to the house, I mentioned an long time rubbing sound. they checked into that and found the chain worn excessively. Good I regularly oiled it. It could have snapped at any time. Now the old girl waits for them to return with a new heavy duty chain with oil rings. That had to be ordered. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. I recommend this shop enthusiastically. Jan 10

2 days after writing last, the guy came by and installed a chain on my Lifan. Much heavier looking than the original. I.m now back on the road, and running very good. So nice to have a clutch that shifts properly for the first time since buying the bike. i saw their sign is up at the new building across from Honda on 700 yr. Rd. and they will be moved in by end of the month.

2 days after writing last, the guy came by and installed a chain on my Lifan. Much heavier looking than the original. I.m now back on the road, and running very good. So nice to have a clutch that shifts properly for the first time since buying the bike. i saw their sign is up at the new building across from Honda on 700 yr. Rd. and they will be moved in by end of the month.

Just don't forget to keep it lubed!

Every 500km is probably overkill, but not a bad suggestion. Doing it after riding through the wet is also a good idea. Going overboard (?) by spraying the chain down with WD-40 to drive out the water and running it for a couple of km before applying the lube is another suggestion.

I buy my Motul lube from the Kawasaki shop. It's easy to find and this last can has lasted ~14,000 km.

Speaking of Lifans, I've heard that the Lifan 200cc is ultra-reliable engine.

True?

Isn't it based on (a direct rip-off?) of the Honda XR200 engine?

It's not as if those air-cooled engines are high spec and pushed to their limits so that should also indicate reliability.

• 1 year later...

I've had my lifan omega  250 bike two years. I had the same problem , loss of power and only running on one cylinder.  I took to a local guy near my place. And he set it up on both cylinders. Runs like a dream. It's a beautiful bike to ride. Took quite a while to get used to ride a motorcycle again. My god it's  great fun in summer time.

• Like 1

The Lifan 250V Cruiser is made in Thailand, and since late 2015, early 2016 they also have the Lifan LF250-P available which is a upgraded version - this model has fuel-injection and a few modern gizmo's.... Of course the whole light cruiser market is holding its breath, is Honda going to launch the Rebel 300 in Thailand or not... The Honda Rebel 500 is already available for 220,000 THB.

As lots of you probably know, the single-cylinder 300cc engine also found in the CB300F and CBR300R is going to some rough time in Thailand with recall after recall... Lately I hear more and more people complaining about fuel pump problems with the CB300F, which is not that unexpected as Honda already has a recall in the rest of the world for the fuel-pump from the Honda MSX125 and Forza 300...

Edited by Richard-BKK

My first "big bike" was a Phantom and that was a bike, built down to price, despite the Honda badge was a piece of crap engine/gearbox wise, plus the handling was dreadful.

I will be specific, despite the fact that is was a chopper/cruiser the engine lacked the one attribute needed, that of torque. Even one gear out and you were buggad in labour, plus not knowing what gear you were in in the lousy gearbox, it was a nightmare in town traffic. Count the clicks down was not much help until you hit first and then you couldn't find neutral on a hot day.

With two engine rebuilds I discovered what a flimsy POC it was with a timing chain that belongs in a pocket watch, this was definitely an account's design. 

Now compare that 200cc lump with my current (Chinese) Lifan 200, where torque's-a-plenty, I can be two gears out of optimum and it still pulls, even two up. The OHV engine is both simple and strong, easy to service, maybe the knock-off idea is good, it worked for the Japanese.

So for me the V250 would have to be better, I would have settled for a bit of flaky paintwork when I was stuck in the Loei mountains on my cooked Phantom.

That said, the first thing I did with my Lifan was new Jap wheel bearings and chain, cheap enough.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

To be fair to Honda - I am sure they do not manufacturer the fuel pump. Outside supplier, as is the defective crankshaft assembly I imagine. Toyota going thru the same woes with the auto box on the new Fortuner.

Are you serious, first of all a bought-out component should/must have the same integrity as their own, fully tested, we are talking expedience here, so no excuses at all. Also the fuel pump is not the only issue with this engine.

I get tired of excuses from Japanese companies, first of all a lot gets hushed up in the name of "national pride", so it is often worse than we think. Then the same people slag off the Chinese for the very same fault, or less, no mercy there then.

It was the same with British products, if they had produced a duff'n like the CB300, the whole brand would be tarred, but because is Japanese, it is put down to a slight glitch.

I would be incandescent with rage if I had bought one and it destroyed itself, bad enough with my secondhand Phantom.

Someone said "you get what you pay for" well that can often mean a very expensive badge, I only paid 10baht for the Yamaha badge on my Lifan.

Edited by AllanB

To be honest, personally I think we cannot call the Thai made Honda’s a Japanese product. And I agree that if a motorcycle manufacturer outsourcing parts they need to have the same standards, and like all products outsourced they need to be tested if they meet the standard.

A bit more information about the fuel pump issues, the problem starts when you run out of fuel and basically run the fuel tank dry… After that, if you fill-up the fuel tank you apparently will have problems with the consistency of engine fueling. So, how many of us let a fuel tank run dry… I agree it should not create a problem…

So if you have a Honda CB300F or CBR300R, you best not let the fuel tank run completely empty. Running the fuel tank empty will likely damage the fuel-pump and until Honda issues a recall, replacing the fuel-pump is costly…

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Read the second line of my post, which addressed the crank issue. All readers of this Forum are aware of your constant bashing of Japanese products. Altho' you just bought one.

I disagree, all the criticisms I have heard have been specific, it is the Chinese products that are slagged of as a generality.

I have often heard people say "well I wouldn't buy Chinese crap" after a particular machine has been praised by many others, many of them actual owners.

I think there is good and bad from both countries, but the trend seems to be upward from the Chinese and downwards from Japanese companies.

As for where the machines are built, it shouldn't make any difference as quality control of both build and components is the responsibility of the company. IMO the problems are caused by cost cutting, not the people putting the bikes together, where the Japanese trying to compete with the Chinese....

...and yes I just bought a Yamaha, 50,000baht for a well built 125cc Filano scooter with room for two plus luggage, why not?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Lifan 250cc Twin Cruiser in 2012 and had it for 3 years. Covered 10,000km's all on Phuket which is mainly stop start traffic and very hard on a bike. Loved the little bike and it was great around here with myself (90kg) and wife (60kg) and a tour pack and saddle bags often loaded. No major problem except when left for 2 - 3 months I had to get a mechanic to strip the carb and service it.

Bought it because it was cheap at about B80,000. At that price I thought if we didn't like Thailand I could just give it away to a Thai friend and not worry about the loss.

I dislike scooters and it had a similar configuration to my Harley & Suzuki which I ride at home. A fun bike and very light and easy to get through the traffic here. Plenty of power to get over the Patong Hill with two up but not that quick off the mark.

Finish is what you would expect of a cheap Chinese bike, the chrome was getting very patchy on the gearbox etc and other parts but the paint was OK.

After 3 years I had much more than my money's worth and I thought that it was probably due for a new battery and tyres soon so I traded it for a Keeway El Dorado 250cc Cruiser which is very similar and performs pretty well.

• 1 year later...

I had a LF-250B from 2014-2016 and to be honest it was a good reliable bike, especially for the price.  I rode it from Lampang to Bangkok and back 3 times over the years and back and forth from Pattaya to Bangkok a dozen or so times.  The only real work I had to do was replacing the chain twice.  It was based on older type bikes so it required a bit of self-maintenance, adjusting clutches and things like that, but all in all I can't complain.  The riding position is felt a bit strange at first, but I am considerably larger than the intended riders, 188cm and 140kgs.

I'm actually considering by a LF-250D for my next bike and wanting to hear from anyone who has one.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2015 at 11:09 PM, dave_boo said:

Isn't it based on (a direct rip-off?) of the Honda XR200 engine?

It's not as if those air-cooled engines are high spec and pushed to their limits so that should also indicate reliability.

If it is, I would buy one. The Honda XR air cooled engine were totally unbreakable, they still go for decent money in the UK despite being prehistoric.