Snow flurries blanket Britain

Lite Beer

Snow flurries blanket Britain

LONDON (AFP) - Overnight flurries left much of Britain blanketed in snow on Saturday, causing power shortages and delays at airports.

More than 100,000 homes in Britain were left with power shortages as snow affected electricity cables, with some 3,000 customers in eastern central England still affected early Saturday.

The heaviest snow was in Leek, western central England, where 11 centimetres fell.

"The worst of the snow has passed through. There is quite a bit of ice, especially over the higher ground in the north of England," said a spokesman for the Met Office national weather service.

"Overnight tonight ice is going to be more of a problem."

Flights to European destinations took off with delays from Manchester Airport, the third-biggest in Britain.

Liverpool and Leeds Bradford airports in northern England closed temporarily late Friday, causing a handful of diversions.

Meanwhile in Sheffield, northern England, many drivers were marooned in heavy snow. One coachload of London-bound passengers spent the night sheltering in a church, while the BBC had footage of people skiing in the city’s streets.

Forecasters predict that temperatures could drop as low as minus 10 degrees Celsius(14 degrees Fahrenheit) next week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Snow-flurries-blanket-Britain-30250806.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-27

Snow falls in a northern European country in the middle of winter, catching the Powers That Be off guard once again, as it has so many times in the past.

Is it any wonder we Brits are considered a trifle thick at times?

Heavy snow is almost unheard of in Britain in the last few years. I'm from the south and we haven't witnessed a decent snowfall for 20 yes.

I won't let cloud your xenophobic post though!

Snow falls in a northern European country in the middle of winter, catching the Powers That Be off guard once again, as it has so many times in the past.

Heavy snow is almost unheard of in Britain in the last few years. I'm from the south and we haven't witnessed a decent snowfall for 20 yes.

Sorry the last Beer lao kicked in. You are a Brit. There has been very little significant snowfall in the UK in the last few years though

We are continually caught out simply because the cost of buying in, maintaining and staffing the sort of infrastructure which nations that get consistent hard winters experience, cannot be justified due to how fickle our seasons are from the year to year. I apply the same to every day driver and the lack of winter tyes. Winter tyres would solve the rather pitifull footage we see of folks attempting to make journeys and ending up abandoning their cars or a collection of cars sliding all over the place. I seriously considered getting winter tyres one year to be ahead of the game, and true enough the winter was a complete damp squib instead and I'm glad I didn't bother. We do look ridiculous when we get caught out, but we would look even more so if we all all shelled out for winter tyres and the nation spent on expensive machinery and staff hired for something that never came.

Throw a bit of this in too . . .

leaf+on+line.jpg

. . . whole country grinds to the usual halt.

• Like 2

We are continually caught out simply because the cost of buying in, maintaining and staffing the sort of infrastructure which nations that get consistent hard winters experience, cannot be justified due to how fickle our seasons are from the year to year. I apply the same to every day driver and the lack of winter tyes. Winter tyres would solve the rather pitifull footage we see of folks attempting to make journeys and ending up abandoning their cars or a collection of cars sliding all over the place. I seriously considered getting winter tyres one year to be ahead of the game, and true enough the winter was a complete damp squib instead and I'm glad I didn't bother. We do look ridiculous when we get caught out, but we would look even more so if we all all shelled out for winter tyres and the nation spent on expensive machinery and staff hired for something that never came.

Funny you say this. While my local govt is cutting jobs and claiming poverty, I followed a brand new 2014 Mercedes salt spreader tonight.

Someone has money somewhere.

Funny you say this. While my local govt is cutting jobs and claiming poverty, I followed a brand new 2014 Mercedes salt spreader tonight.

Someone has money somewhere.

Must be the new S-Class.

The last really heavy snowfall I remember in the UK was back in the 70's when I was still going to secondary school ... got a few weeks extra holidays for that one ... and another one in early 2000's, other than that, the UK really hasn't had that much snow to talk about, and it's usually all gone with 24-48 hours at most ... mind you, even a small amount of snow seems to cause panic and chaos there nowadays.

Never heard that, Brits being a trifle thick that is. You know, that place that engineered the industrial revolution! Problem is, heavy snow is rare, just like a very hot summer is. Hard to prepare. What narks me is 'Brits' knocking their own.
  • Like 2

The last really heavy snowfall I remember in the UK was back in the 70's when I was still going to secondary school ... got a few weeks extra holidays for that one ... and another one in early 2000's, other than that, the UK really hasn't had that much snow to talk about, and it's usually all gone with 24-48 hours at most ... mind you, even a small amount of snow seems to cause panic and chaos there nowadays.

Never heard that, Brits being a trifle thick that is. You know, that place that engineered the industrial revolution! Problem is, heavy snow is rare, just like a very hot summer is. Hard to prepare. What narks me is 'Brits' knocking their own.

Hey, think of some of the great comedy based on knocking our own and how it enriches lives..

Yes, you're correct, I mistyped ... I can't edit my original post, but it was early 80's and I was 11 or 12 years old ... massive snowdrifts, cut off my village for ages. It was great!

Edited by Tatsujin

Sorry the last Beer lao kicked in. You are a Brit. There has been very little significant snowfall in the UK in the last few years though

London was snowing three Xmases ago....the last one I will ever spend there thankfully.

That reminds me, I've got a trifle in the fridge.

True, but our infrastructure is so piss poor in so many areas it barely cope with even the lightest dusting of snow..

They don't want to spend the money on prevention. A kind of hope its not bad attitude.

Cannot spend money they do not have. All the countries in the world are dead broke and not just financially

Mooner where in Britain do you live? I live by the coast in the south of England. Over the last ten years it has snowed every single winter and four of those winters it was so bad that many roads were completely impassable, so much so that I was unable to get to work. So I can only say that your post is absolute rubbish.

I also disagree with baboon in so much as his post is accurate with regard to England which is never prepared for snow but certainly cannot be said of the rest of Northern Europe. The Scandinavian countries are always very well prepared.

Probably the worst I recall was 63...

It came up to my neck, but then I was very young and not much more than a meter tall.

that place that engineered the industrial revolution!

Which lead to...massive industrial expansion and associated pollution.....London pea soupers,,,,,,global warming......climate change allegedly.

What short memories you Poms have.

Mind you I don't believe any of it

​You bastards led the world into the future.

Dragged most out of the Stone Age

Goodonya ya bastards!!!

Edited by Mudcrab

i dont know what part you come from but i remember loosing a few days work because of signifcant snow falls (i measuerd 12" on the roof of my van) in three different years I'm from kent tonbridge area

i dont know what part you come from but i remember loosing a few days work because of signifcant snow falls (i measuerd 12" on the roof of my van) in three different years I'm from kent tonbridge area

Yup, I had to shut a site down for a couple of days in Ipswich a few years back. Must have had a whole inch and half of snow drifts.

a lovely statement of endearment from what sound like one of our exported citizens of spring clap2.giftongue.png

good on ya cobber

that place that engineered the industrial revolution!

Which lead to...massive industrial expansion and associated pollution.....London pea soupers,,,,,,global warming......climate change allegedly.

What short memories you Poms have.

Mind you I don't believe any of it

​You bastards led the world into the future.

Dragged most out of the Stone Age

Goodonya ya bastards!!!