Transportation Scam At The New Bangkok Airport

zink

A poster at 2bangkok made an interesting discovery by looking at transportation guidelines of the new airport ):

There will be NO taxis or airport buses leaving from the passenger terminal!!! If you want to take a taxi or airport bus, you will need first to take a shuttle bus to the bus terminal, which is located over 2 kilometers away from the passenger terminal according to the document.

Just by conincidence, there will be (probably grossly overpriced) "Limousine service" available directly from the passenger terminal...

Those, who thought that the new airport will have better transportation options will be very disappointed. In fact things will change to worse, it will take a longer time to get from the new airport (unless you want to overpay for limousine service).

Edited by Jai Dee

To me it looks ok, a free shuttle bus to the taxi station or the bus station then you are on your way. Now I can catch a public bus from the airport direct to Bangkok, Pattaya or Nong Khai. Couldn't do that with the old airport so it's much better for me.

There will be NO taxis or airport buses leaving from the passenger terminal!!! If you want to take a taxi or airport bus, you will need first to take a shuttle bus to the bus terminal, which is located over 2 kilometers away from the passenger terminal according to the document.
No need to guess, I presume, to whom the holder of the shuttle bus license is related :o

---------------

Maestro

arrive, go upstairs to departures and catch a taxi dropping somebody off.

wrong airport .... but we can hope that it works that way here ...

the bus options look good ... though I certainly didn't see one to NongKhai or Pattaya

Propably designed/decided that this is handled this way by Miss50%.

It's money making and not for our convenience.

I'll wait for the real thing to come into action so we can see/experience for ourselves what the powers have decided and how this is "benefiting" us .

Edited by visarunner

Wont stop private car service - what i normally use!!!! :o

cheers to that .... I have never flown in International and NOT had someone there to meet me.

Is it just me or am I not seeing a 'scam' here?

Edited by jdinasia

It is not a scam, there are plenty of airports around the world that use this type of system.

Why do some people think they are being ripped off all the time?

The scam is to force as many people as possible to opt for the highly controlled "limousine" service over the option to take a public metered taxi.

Suppose I show up with my family of four from overseas. We have already been traveling for 24 hours. We have eight large pieces of luggage in addition to our carry-on luggage. The "shuttle bus" to the public taxi center appears in the linked document to be the same buses currently used to transport passengers from airplanes to the terminal, with little room for heavy luggage. I would assume that most luggage will have to be carried into the bus leaving no room for standing passengers. Thus the total capacity of the bus will be quite low so we can expect that passengers may be waiting for quite awhile outside in the heat for space on a shuttle bus.

Clearly this system has the potential of making the public taxis a not particularly viable option for many international travelers. The only viable option remains either the highly controlled limo service or bus service for those who stay at "first class" hotels.

So what part of the scam do you not understand? And, pardon my limited travel horizons over the past two decades of parenting, but what other major international airports do not have taxi service available from the main passenger terminal?

not sure if im right on this one but, i've been told (more than once) that all internal connecting flights will be from the old airport? (i.e land new , bus to old then theres your plane!)

surley not ??????? :o:D:D

not sure if im right on this one but, i've been told (more than once) that all internal connecting flights will be from the old airport? (i.e land new , bus to old then theres your plane!)

surley not ??????? :o:D:D

international flights to bkk then onward to xxxx.

sry not sure last post was so clear

It is not a scam, there are plenty of airports around the world that use this type of system.

The scam is to force as many people as possible to opt for the highly controlled "limousine" service over the option to take a public metered taxi.

Suppose I show up with my family of four from overseas. We have already been traveling for 24 hours. We have eight large pieces of luggage in addition to our carry-on luggage. The "shuttle bus" to the public taxi center appears in the linked document to be the same buses currently used to transport passengers from airplanes to the terminal, with little room for heavy luggage. I would assume that most luggage will have to be carried into the bus leaving no room for standing passengers. Thus the total capacity of the bus will be quite low so we can expect that passengers may be waiting for quite awhile outside in the heat for space on a shuttle bus.

Clearly this system has the potential of making the public taxis a not particularly viable option for many international travelers. The only viable option remains either the highly controlled limo service or bus service for those who stay at "first class" hotels.

So what part of the scam do you not understand? And, pardon my limited travel horizons over the past two decades of parenting, but what other major international airports do not have taxi service available from the main passenger terminal?

Have you ever been to Heathrow? you need to catch busses to different terminal building, or Mumbai? If you are catching an internal flight, again you have to catch a bus to another terminal. Whats the difference? They are providing a shuttle service from one part of the airport to the other where you can then get a taxi, Big deal.

By the way, if you have a family of four and eight large pieces of luggage in addition to your carry-on luggage i would suggest that you would not fit in a taxi anyway.

Are you saying it is a good thing for BKK to take a backward step and become as s**t as Heathrow? Getting out of customs and straight into a taxi was one of the best things about travel to BKK. We know other places are c**p, but why would you be happy to see BKK join them?

A poster at 2bangkok made an interesting discovery by looking at transportation guidelines of the new airport ):

Just by conincidence, there will be (probably grossly overpriced) "Limousine service" available directly from the passenger terminal...

Those, who thought that the new airport will have better transportation options will be very disappointed. In fact things will change to worse, it will take a longer time to get from the new airport (unless you want to overpay for limousine service).

Wasn't there also a high speed train link being build at the moment..... which also stoppes downtown. But than again...it might all be the same at that station...lets see and wait..

Edited by Jai Dee

Have you ever been to Heathrow? you need to catch busses to different terminal building, or Mumbai? If you are catching an internal flight, again you have to catch a bus to another terminal. Whats the difference? They are providing a shuttle service from one part of the airport to the other where you can then get a taxi, Big deal.

By the way, if you have a family of four and eight large pieces of luggage in addition to your carry-on luggage i would suggest that you would not fit in a taxi anyway.

Well yes, I know many airports where one needs to take a bus between various terminals, but usually the luggage is also forwarded seperately as it is most often checked through to the final destination. And at Don Muang, even if you had gone through customs, one can check luggage at the international terminal forward to Thai domestic flights.

And you are correct that the family with full luggage would not fit into a single taxi. But then again, what the Thais call "limos" are nothing more than taxis without the bright colors or meters.

All this is rather moot for me and the family as long as China Airways continues to provide direct service to Chiang Mai from the US.

the bus options look good ... though I certainly didn't see one to NongKhai or Pattaya

Read page 23 of the PDF file:

Public Bus Group 3.

1. Number 389 SA - Pattaya

2. Number 390 SA - Talad Rong Kluea

3. Number 825 SA - Nong Khai

Much better than catching a taxi to Morchit as we do now.

Per slide 20:

"Airport ExpressAirport Express-

Air-conditioning coaches, services betweenfirst class hotels in Bangkok and SuvarnabhumiAirport -

Pick up area : at the arrival (level 2) inner curb-Drop off area : at the departure (Level 4) inner curb"

Maybe another option to getting into central Bangkok. Airport express buses at Don Muang currently are 100 baht but stop operating at midnight.

Wonder how these buses will compare?

There is, where?? New one on me - have never been anywhere in the world where I have had to get into a TAXI SHUTTLE BUS to a TAXI Park.

Its not a scam at the new airport sure - but it's a <deleted> bad idea if you ask me.

I reckon it will last about a year and then the rules will change.....I think the reason is they just dont want rows of filthy taxi's sat outside making the Press, Tourist board photos look ugly. :o Once the novelty has worn off of their new airport.....

Edited by dekka007

Per slide 20:

"Airport ExpressAirport Express-

Air-conditioning coaches, services betweenfirst class hotels in Bangkok and SuvarnabhumiAirport -

Pick up area : at the arrival (level 2) inner curb-Drop off area : at the departure (Level 4) inner curb"

Maybe another option to getting into central Bangkok. Airport express buses at Don Muang currently are 100 baht but stop operating at midnight.

Wonder how these buses will compare?

I've always just used a taxi when arriving in BKK because they're usually readily available and cheap. But in other countries where taxis are 10x or more than price of Thailand, I always use these airport express buses and then take a short taxi ride to my final destination if the bus doesn't drop me off exactly at the point I want. I must say that they're only slightly more inconvenient than taking a taxi the whole way and end up reducing traffic jams, engine emissions, and save oil, thus being better for the environment. If they design the new airport like many newer civilized airports where outbound taxis are banned from the arrival area, I think it would be a good thing all-around. The express buses I've seen everyplace else in the world are designed specifically for taking passengers and all their luggage to/from the airport with the driver or someone else handling the heavy bags for you, so no need to worry about lugging the bags yourself. If they do it right, I'd say three cheers for the planners of the new airport. It may slightly more inconvenient for me but it will force me to do what I probably should be doing already.

Read page 23 of the PDF file:

Public Bus Group 3.

1. Number 389 SA - Pattaya

2. Number 390 SA - Talad Rong Kluea

3. Number 825 SA - Nong Khai

Much better than catching a taxi to Morchit as we do now.

my apologies ... i stopped at slide 21

There is, where?? New one on me - have never been anywhere in the world where I have had to get into a TAXI SHUTTLE BUS to a TAXI Park.

Its not a scam at the new airport sure - but it's a <deleted> bad idea if you ask me.

I reckon it will last about a year and then the rules will change.....I think the reason is they just dont want rows of filthy taxi's sat outside making the Press, Tourist board photos look ugly. :o Once the novelty has worn off of their new airport.....

It's not just the cosmetics of the rows of filthy taxis. It's that it makes the place so disorganized and prevents non-taxi transport from quickly getting in and out. Banning taxis allow the place to become civilized and a bit more peaceful rather than the chaos that exists now. It leaves a much better impression on first time travellers to the country. I don't want to hold my breath, but if implemented properly it may possibly also reduce or eliminate the taxi touts.

Regarding the shuttle to the taxi park, in many countries taxis are quite expensive and people gladly take a bus or train than pay 100 USD or more for a taxi. So the number of taxis waiting at the airport is quite small due to their infrequent use and thus they can be just a short walk away from the departure curbside without creating a mess. Thailand is different because the taxis are so cheap that most everyone wants to use them if they're readily available. Any sort of a system of having them readily available a the airport will cause problems due to the huge demand for them it would create.

Edited by Soju

Does anyone know how accurate and up-to-date this powerpoint presentation is?

If accurate then I agree that it will be an added hassle, and involve more time, to take a bus to the taxi stand.

Depending on schedules it might be easiest/fastest/cheapest to take one of the express buses (slide 20) to a hotel then get a taxi?

Are the limo prices detailed anywhere? For a family with a lot of bags a limo might be a better solution than say two taxis?

The rail link (opens 2008-ish?) is visible in slide 15, you can see where it exits from underneath the hotel.

According to this plan it doesn't sound as though you'll be able to grab a taxi that is dropping people off at the MTB (Main Terminal Bulding)? Slide 17: Public Taxis, "Drop off area : at departure (level4) outer Curb Condition : leave immediately with no exception."

Edited by lomatopo

Thailand is different because the taxis are so cheap that most everyone wants to use them if they're readily available. Any sort of a system of having them readily available a the airport will cause problems due to the huge demand for them it would create.

That's rich. If there's such a great demand wouldn't it be more logical to design the place to accept them rather than add another step to the journey for people with heavy luggage.

Let's make this clear. The easiest way is to step outside the terminal into a taxi. Simple. It's the way most other airports operate, but Thailand has to make anything at all more difficult than it needs be.

So, virtually no public transport to the airport (ie only road-based with all the hassle and traffic jams involved with that), and now no taxis directly at the airport either. And Thailand wants to be an airport hub for Asia? Look at just about any other airport in Asia and they have a rail system connecting to the city. Bangkok will, eventually, but why not now. They've been planning the airport for 40 years and STILL they can't get a rail link ready on time.

Truly amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

You are mixing apples with bananas...

The point of Suvarvabumi is that it's a one-terminal-airport...

As for the "scam" issue : well it's enough to see it will be possible to hire a limousine, provided by AOT, on arrival level. But for a public taxi, you will have to take a shuttle bus in order to go to the taxi station, 6 km away.

Solution 1 is obviously the most practical. But of course solution 1 will cost triple than solution 2.

http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/06/Suvannab..._Guidelines.pdf

This doesn't really affect me as with another poster, I always have someone picking me up in a car, but nevertheless, I am amazed at the paranoia exhibited with people thinking Thais are out to scam them simply because the are Foreigners.

In the example given with the family of 4 arriving in Thailand after 24 hours flight and the headache of having to get a short transfer bus to catch a taxi, I note the poster did not mention the hassles at the other end of either getting a shuttle for a rental car (at virtually every US airport) or the shuttles to your own car (SFO is prime example of this).

Does anyone remember the first 5 years or so at KLIA where you couldn’t get a regular taxi at all at the airport and were forced to get a limo at about 50% more.

Airports today are required to pay their own way, and just like with airlines, convenient service is the first to go. I would imagine that the limo services pay for the booth space and this was part of an exclusive deal to insure they get the customers. This is not a Thai scam, this is capitalism. Sorry

TH