Transportation Scam At The New Bangkok Airport

zink

This doesn't really affect me as with another poster, I always have someone picking me up in a car, but nevertheless, I am amazed at the paranoia exhibited with people thinking Thais are out to scam them simply because the are Foreigners.

In the example given with the family of 4 arriving in Thailand after 24 hours flight and the headache of having to get a short transfer bus to catch a taxi, I note the poster did not mention the hassles at the other end of either getting a shuttle for a rental car (at virtually every US airport) or the shuttles to your own car (SFO is prime example of this).

Does anyone remember the first 5 years or so at KLIA where you couldn’t get a regular taxi at all at the airport and were forced to get a limo at about 50% more.

Airports today are required to pay their own way, and just like with airlines, convenient service is the first to go. I would imagine that the limo services pay for the booth space and this was part of an exclusive deal to insure they get the customers. This is not a Thai scam, this is capitalism. Sorry

TH

1. It's understandable that long time parking cannot be located right next to terminal in big airports. But we are talking about taxis here.

2. The limos will cost at least 100-200% more, not 50% more like in KLIA.

3. Limos don't have much to do with convenience. They won't be much different than ordinary taxis. Take a guess where extra money will go:

a) To the limo driver

B) To finance more luxurious limos

c) To AoT management pockets

4. Monopolies are bad for the economy in the long run. They have nothing to do with capitalism.

This doesn't really affect me as with another poster, I always have someone picking me up in a car, but nevertheless, I am amazed at the paranoia exhibited with people thinking Thais are out to scam them simply because the are Foreigners.

In the example given with the family of 4 arriving in Thailand after 24 hours flight and the headache of having to get a short transfer bus to catch a taxi, I note the poster did not mention the hassles at the other end of either getting a shuttle for a rental car (at virtually every US airport) or the shuttles to your own car (SFO is prime example of this).

Does anyone remember the first 5 years or so at KLIA where you couldn’t get a regular taxi at all at the airport and were forced to get a limo at about 50% more.

Airports today are required to pay their own way, and just like with airlines, convenient service is the first to go. I would imagine that the limo services pay for the booth space and this was part of an exclusive deal to insure they get the customers. This is not a Thai scam, this is capitalism. Sorry

TH

1. It's understandable that long time parking cannot be located right next to terminal in big airports. But we are talking about taxis here.

3. Limos don't have much to do with convenience. They won't be much different than ordinary taxis. Take a guess where extra money will go:

a) To the limo driver

:D To finance more luxurious limos

4. Monopolies are bad for the economy in the long run. They have nothing to do with capitalism.

Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel is only a five minute walk from Bangkok's new international airport (opening early December 2006), via a 300 metre underground walkway.

A 5-minute walk with the bagage trolley and then a taxi from the Novotel ! :o

Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel is only a five minute walk from Bangkok's new international airport (opening early December 2006), via a 300 metre underground walkway.

Is the underground walkway air-conditioned?

--------------

Maestro

TH

a) To the limo driver

:D To finance more luxurious limos

Thanks for that! :D

A 5-minute walk with the bagage trolley and then a taxi from the Novotel ! :D

I wonder....were you an Olympic Champion...running 300 meters in 5 minutes with a luggage trolley after a long haul flight in the heat ? :o

LaoPo

How are they going to manage traffic flow from/to the new airport without expedite train,mass transport railway project? or hold an opening until those mass transportation come into place and run. At least within a year time; to have rooms for fine tuning of the airport facilities itself.

Adding more buses,more taxis,more cars mean concerns haven't used enough effort to solve real problems.

Current roads & toll ways from south toward Bang Na or from north toward motor way are very heavily jammed like hel_l on earth....and once the new airport opens, would be a real nightmare.

Would be nice to keep the old airport for domestic flights and have a fast sky train links between two airports within 15 mins travel time.......at least can split the congession into two rather than all in single place. Also no big deal with air traffic flows, to have different std arr,dep routes,holding patterns as well as using different flt levels anyway.

:o

This article from the Bangkok Post sounds like there is no problem with getting a taxi at the terminal.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/310806_Horizons...006_hori006.php

"Arriving passengers exit at level two of the passenger terminal where they can queue for a taxi. Unlike Don Muang, taxis are not allowed to park kerbside at the exit. They park three kilometres always at the remote parking area, next to the bus station.

Similar to most international airports, a taxi supervisor radios a batch of taxis from the remote taxi rank managing the queue from a pool of around 400 authorised taxis.

Limousine counters are located on both the fourth and second floors, but also park at the same location as the public taxis."