PM to launch 'Discover Thainess' campaign

webfact

Reading the posts up to now, I do believe that the racists in this country are NOT the Thais but the farangs posting this kind of rubbish.

Keep it up members, you are showing your real selves.

Yes guys come on.

Saying Thais are racist is wrong. There is no dual pricing, zingoism, hate motivated crime in Thainess thinking. Black people live happy free and fair lives and get jobs as native English speakers here, just like everyone else. And even better, they get paid in unicorns and magic fairy dust.

So stop making wrongful assertions.

It's nice, it's a treasure hunt. For tourists. The PM gives visitors something to do. They will go from clue to clue until they find Thainess. The PM is now giving happiness back to tourists..., but backpackers can't play, it's only for high quality visitors.

Oh the irony!!

Prayuth is going to launch this new campaign!!

Don't TAT realize that the general is one of the reasons for the lower tourist numbers??

Brilliant point. Very accurate. Though it is about as benign a coup as possible, compared to Egypt, and some others, to the outside world it is still a military government, and it scares the hell out of most people. The thought is that there are no civil safeguards. The thought is that if you happen to get falsely accused of a crime, there are no civilian safeguards in place to help, or to render assistance, and there is a fear of ending up in prison falsely charged with a crime one did not commit. Many foreigners see a military government in a very harsh light. Add to that the fact that Thailand is still on some warning lists, and the fact that most cannot get travel insurance, nor use their own health insurance in a country under military control, and you have millions who have canceled their plans, or avoided traveling here. Nothing the general does or says is going to change any of that, one iota. Only holding freely held elections will change the fear foreigners have of this place. The TAT is a fluff organization. They collect salaries. They issue statements. They provide comic relief. They make very, very silly numerical predictions. They do not bring any tourism into the country.

......fear of ending up in prison falsely charged with a crime......That sort of thing happened before the coup

• Like 1

Oh the irony!!

Prayuth is going to launch this new campaign!!

Don't TAT realize that the general is one of the reasons for the lower tourist numbers??

Brilliant point. Very accurate. Though it is about as benign a coup as possible, compared to Egypt, and some others, to the outside world it is still a military government, and it scares the hell out of most people. The thought is that there are no civil safeguards. The thought is that if you happen to get falsely accused of a crime, there are no civilian safeguards in place to help, or to render assistance, and there is a fear of ending up in prison falsely charged with a crime one did not commit. Many foreigners see a military government in a very harsh light. Add to that the fact that Thailand is still on some warning lists, and the fact that most cannot get travel insurance, nor use their own health insurance in a country under military control, and you have millions who have canceled their plans, or avoided traveling here. Nothing the general does or says is going to change any of that, one iota. Only holding freely held elections will change the fear foreigners have of this place. The TAT is a fluff organization. They collect salaries. They issue statements. They provide comic relief. They make very, very silly numerical predictions. They do not bring any tourism into the country.

......fear of ending up in prison falsely charged with a crime......That sort of thing happened before the coup

Maybe. But under a military regime, it is far more pronounced now than before. The justice system in general here is flawed, bordering on being dysfunctional. But, I am referring mostly to perceptions.

While I don't agree with what Costas2008 said about racism, I think the negativity is getting a bit out of hand on this thread.

Yes it's a bizarre tourist promotion idea, but to be honest there have been worse ones.

Sorry Blues but - there have been worse ones - is a weak point to justify this clownery

Thainess , a word used to cover up idiocy or incompetence.

I agree Toady.

But I take it a step further.

It's a word used when Thais don't have a logical comeback, cannot support their point of view, want to short cut a no-win argument or simply want to assert some sort of dominance because we don't "understand" or "support" their absurdity.

"Thainess" - excusing stupid Thai's since 1997.

• Like 2

While I don't agree with what Costas2008 said about racism, I think the negativity is getting a bit out of hand on this thread.

Yes it's a bizarre tourist promotion idea, but to be honest there have been worse ones.

Sorry Blues but - there have been worse ones - is a weak point to justify this clownery

I'm not justifying it.

I agree with you, in that I think it's a stupid idea.

However, that doesn't justify the level of negativity this thread seems to have reached.

I moan as much as most but there are limits.

• Like 1

This is nice. 'Discover Thainess' Campaign.

It coincides with the POLICE STOP - SEARCH - PISS TEST campaign.

Notice in the leaflet how the passport photo portrays the foreigner as the DEVIL.

attachicon.gifThong Lor Searching Brochure.jpg

"It coincides with the POLICE STOP - SEARCH - PISS TEST campaign."

No it doesn't, there was never a police "campaign" of this type just a few opportunistic officers taking advantage of a few foreigners and that has now been stopped.

'Discovering' Thainess is easy. Just interact with any Thai on any level and you'll soon be scratching your head saying, "That's amazing".

'Understanding' Thainess is impossible. I just accept that 'This is Thailand' and they don't do things here the way we would back home.

PM to launch 'Discover Thainess' campaign

I read the article three times and never read where it explained what Thainess is or how they wanted tourists to 'discover' it. If I were TAT, I'd be very selective in the kinds of 'Thainess' I let the tourists discover.

never read where it explained what Thainess is

It’s a myth used to create the questionable imagination that all good on this planet has its origin in Thailand and it is a precious gift to all who share this opinion. It can also be used in term of a very slight apology for all the things going wrong here without losing face. In other words: It is simply B.S.

I disagree that Thainess is a myth. Thais have a unique way of being that is different from every other nationality. Some of these ways are endearing and some of them make you want to scream. But good or bad, there is no getting away from Thainess; it is a thing.

• Like 1

Notice in the leaflet how the passport photo portrays the foreigner as the DEVIL.

No it doesn't, there was never a police "campaign" of this type just a few opportunistic officers taking advantage of a few foreigners and that has now been stopped.

If it's been stopped what is the point of the leaflet?

Reading the posts up to now, I do believe that the racists in this country are NOT the Thais but the farangs posting this kind of rubbish.

Most educated Thais that wish for their country to evolve out of third world status also blame "Thainess" as major cause for society failure to adapt to modern world requirements.

Educated people in general know that Thailand is not a third world country.

A tourist campaign aiming at 13% increase in arrivals.......held in Lumpini Park......mmmmm....so the tourists will need to be here already to visit this ????

The campaign isn't being held in Lumpini Park, the launch of it is. The press conference will spread the word internationally.

"Real self" is better than "no real self" whether it's giving praise to a job well done or critising for deliberate inadequacies. Edited by lil fluffy clouds
  • Like 2

If it's been stopped what is the point of the leaflet?

Just because the Thonglor police episode has been stopped by senior officers does not mean that the police no longer have the right to question suspicious people. It's advice to the public that answers questions that have been asked about those circumstances, is there something wrong with that?

let's have a few 'Thainess Is' inspirations?

'Thainess Is' announcing to the world you have the cure for Ebola

'Thainess Is' indicating attractive western women should not wear bikinis if they don't want to be sexually attacked

'Thainess Is' not worrying if you tell a lie or the truth it's just 'Thainess'

'Thainess Is' having jet setting monks

'Thainess Is' a plane crash lands - you get out the paint and cover up the logo

'Thainess Is' no sex shops, heavy censorship of all things sexual - and Pattaya/Nana Plaza!

Nice one!

Thainess is complete contradictions in a world where truth, facts, cause and effect are all irrelevant. Thais are never ever wrong and should never be challenged no matter how absurd their statement or actions,

But they are number one in talking bullshit (boolshyt). We can't take that away from them.

This is likely to backfire on the PM...a tourist is likely to "discover Thainess" by either being ripped off or getting his butt kicked...for some minor cultural infraction...like objecting to paying a padded bill...

Edited by ggt

"Discover Thainess"?

People are getting a chance to discover it a lot lately on the front pages of the International News. blink.png

Blame those nasty foreigner's 'tho, for printing it. It's all their fault.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Buffoons.

BTW, go give the story about prosecuting Facebook users a 5 Star vote to bring it up higher on Google searches.

thumbsup.gif

That should help give the world a clear look at another example of "Thainess."