Indonesian navy bombs Thai vessels in fight against poachers

webfact

Indonesian navy bombs Thai vessels in fight against poachers
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta

JAKARTA: -- The Indonesian navy on Sunday sunk two vessels from Thailand after the court confirmed on December 23 the ships' involvement in illegal fishing in the waters off Anambas island in Riau Islands province.

Equipped with explosives, several personnel from the navy's special force planted bombs inside the vessels before they detonated them from afar in Anambas waters, near the South China Sea.

It took only around five minutes for the vessels to sink.

The 70 gross ton (GT) MV Kour Son 77 was caught by the navy's KRI Sutedi Senoputra on November 14 with six crew on board - 2 from Thailand, 3 from Myanmar and one from Laos.

Another vessel, KM G. Chawat 5, was seized by KRI Sultan Hasanuddin on December 11.

The 103 GT ship could not provide any legal documents to operate in Indonesian waters.

"As instructed by the president, the Navy has shown its strong commitment to sinking vessels involved in illegal fishing," said Navy Western Fleet commander Rear Admiral Widodo on Sunday.

Widodo said that the sinking was in line with Indonesia's rule of law, which had been confirmed by a court verdict.

"With the quick verdict, we hope that it will deter foreign poachers from entering our territory," he said.

Since taking office on October 20, president Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has drawn the battle line in the war against poachers.

On December 5, three Vietnamese vessels were also sunk near Anambas, while on December 21, two vessels from Papua New Guinea were destroyed on the shore of Ambon, Maluku.

Despite the stern approach, critics have been vocal about the government's lenient stance against illegal fishing involving Chinese vessels.

Since the fight against poachers intensified in late November, no Chinese vessels have been treated harshly by the government.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Indonesian-navy-bombs-Thai-vessels-in-fight-agains-30250888.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-29

• Like 2

Now that is what I call law enforcement! Way to go Indonesia! And they were able to do this WITHOUT having their own submarine.

Not surprising Indonesia didn't use any of their submarines they have, eg.:

sub2.jpg

KRI_401_Cakra_KM.jpg

to take down an unarmed fishing boat.

Now that is what I call law enforcement! Way to go Indonesia! And they were able to do this WITHOUT having their own submarine.

Not surprising Indonesia didn't use any of their submarines they have, eg.:

sub2.jpg

KRI_401_Cakra_KM.jpg

to take down an unarmed fishing boat.

Then that settles it, Thailand DOES need submarines. Can't let Indonesia have all the fun.

• Like 1

The Indonesian Navy boarded the vessels.

While waiting for instructions from their commanders-in-chief the Navy (very likely) would have stripped the vessels of all moveables, fuel, valuables etc.

After word had been received to more or less remove the likelihood of a repatriation of these vessels by demolishing them, there would have been a proper scuttling of these vessels.

The crew would have been removed and imprisoned prior to any of this happening.

And Indo being Indo you can bet that word went out to boat-scrappers far and wide that certain "accommodations" could certainly be made available to the right people.

So yeah. Brilliant kick-off for ASEAN. . . . . . or are the Thais gonna roll it back another coupla years now that they have nailed a countervailing multi-billion dollar infrastructure deal with the CHINESE.

• Like 1

If they are so intent on enforcing their laws why does China get a free pass

I don't know whether this would have happened when the two, Thai, trawlers would have been bearing the Thai flag. Fact is here, one had no documents at all on board, flag unknown, the other one was (falsely?) bearing the flag of Papua NG, so evidently poachers, might that be the reason for the sinking? I can't remember whether to two previously sunk Vietnamese trawlers were bearing the Vietnamese flag, or not, and had ad-hoc documents to show.

I hope the Indonesian navy removed all fuels and other toxic materials first to protect the very waters they are protecting.

Why not get the vessels to port and then do whatever to dispose of them.

Seems a tad odd.

You don't know if they did or didn't.

Now that is what I call law enforcement! Way to go Indonesia! And they were able to do this WITHOUT having their own submarine. cheesy.gif

Yes way to go. Everyone should follow suit with any Indonesian vessel caught illegally inside their territorial waters.

China being treated leniently - good to see the brave Indonesians treating all the same.

I am impressed with the start that Joko Widodo has made to his Presidency. Hopefully with the drop in the price of oil his policy of getting rid of the fuel subsidy will be effective and he can invest in better healthcare and education while also bringing down borrowing.

I think this kind of action will only strengthen his hand at home in the fight against corruption with much popular support. He really does look like being a man of the people, at last. Good luck to him.

Edited by Katoom