Indian tourists killed in van crash on elevated road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Anyone knows that parking your car on a highway is risking your life. Since this water truck was hardly moving, it is akin to parking your car on the middle of the highway. Slow moving vehicles obviously should not be on a highway. You can blame the driver of the van for speeding, but in this case it's clear what caused the accident, the water truck!

I used to work for the police in the UK and took a police driving test there. One of the first things the examiner told me after the test was that if you cannot stop safely and without changing lanes then you are driving too fast for the road conditions.

Correct driving speed: one must always be able to stop within half the sight distance.

The Minivan driver has not adhered to this principle and is clearly driven too fast.

It does not matter what type of barrier appears on the road.

In this case it could have be also the last car, staying in a traffic jam queue.

Who crash into a car from behind, is the culprit.

To maintain the correct safety distance and traffic conditions adapted speed,

many drivers simply have not learned it here!

Edited by tomacht8

I was surprised to find that Thailand is tied with Russia for the second most traffic fatalities. Unsurprisingly, the U.S. is first. I knew there a large number of fatalities in Thailand, but to think that a country of 76 million is runner up to a country of something like 300 million is mind boggling.

U.S. 36,000. 11.6 per 100,000 population

Thailand 26,000. 38.1 per 100,000. 2nd highest in the world (Libya at 40.5)

2010 statistics.

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Have to wonder how many of Thailand's are motorcycle with no helmet.

What you need to relate to is the number of vehicles and the will to report all of the accidents realted. In the US they will probably report it as a "road kill" even after some time at the hospital because of the insurances, in Thailand ... well, if you make it to the hospital and die there then it isnt recorded as a road fatality.

Also, do compare the numbers for Road fatalities per 100 000 motor vehicles - that may show why so many die in the US, they do have a lot of cars and tend to drive a lot ...

Still, a lot of the people of Thailand would live longer if they started to use some basic safety when travelling; Seat belts, something better then a plastic hat on a motorbike that actually are secured with a strap to your head.

Make it the same as the EU, all vans have to have a 100KPH limiter installed. (judging by the front of that van it was going much faster)

I realise some may be removed and it wouldn`t help with all crashes but it would certainly help a bit. If it saved one life then it`s worth it.

Go on junta, do something Ill finally support you on!