Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

I renewed my DL end of last year. Went there 3 weeks before expiry. I got new licence starting from expiry. They said I need to use actual license till its expiry and then new. So they dated new license in advance.

Out of curiosity, were you going from the 1-year provisional license to a 5-year or renewing a 5-year license? Just asking the question as I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

I renewed my DL end of last year. Went there 3 weeks before expiry. I got new licence starting from expiry. They said I need to use actual license till its expiry and then new. So they dated new license in advance.

Out of curiosity, were you going from the 1-year provisional license to a 5-year or renewing a 5-year license? Just asking the question as I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

1 to 5

It's best to go at 13:00, then they are not busy.

Actually be there 10-15 minutes before, so you finish the video before the Thai's.

Good to know thanks. Hope someone can chime in about the residency letter requirements as it will be a pain to go all the way out to Promenada and be missing one key officer's/stickler's requirement...

..........and we will not get into the 500Baht bribery, already been discussed, hashed, and buried.

By saying they dated your new (the "5-year" deal) license in advance, I'm assuming you are saying that the issuance date on your new license is either the expiration date of your 1-year license or, perhaps, the day after the expiration date. However, I don't know if this is regular practice or not as I got my "5-year" license several days after my one-year license expired (and the issuance date is the date I got it). I'd note that they didn't give me back my one-year licenses (maybe they just tossed them for me as they had already expired) but it sounds like you got yours back to use for 3 weeks.

By saying they dated your new (the "5-year" deal) license in advance, I'm assuming you are saying that the issuance date on your new license is either the expiration date of your 1-year license or, perhaps, the day after the expiration date. However, I don't know if this is regular practice or not as I got my "5-year" license several days after my one-year license expired (and the issuance date is the date I got it). I'd note that they didn't give me back my one-year licenses (maybe they just tossed them for me as they had already expired) but it sounds like you got yours back to use for 3 weeks.

Yes. Issuance date is expiry of old one. They didn't ask me return the old one on it's expiry. "Cut old on expiry date or keep it as memory". I'm sure practice vary. Still I recommend everyone to go in good advance.

If I recall nearly 5 yrs ago when I got my 1 yr license renewed for the 5 yr one I didn't need to get a medical evaluation, watch a video, or anything else. I merely went to the office and got it. I can't recall the exact cost but it was something like 100-200 baht for my photo, and 300-500 for the licensing fee....

Take note, I did it all at the Lamphun office as it has a very small queue compared to CM.

We'll see what occurs later this year as my 5 yr is about to expire later this Summer.

I went to renew my car and motorbike licence from 1 year to 5 year.

Arrived at 7:30am and already about 60 people crowding the entrance waiting for the doors to open at 8:00am.

Everyone raced upstairs and got a number at the information desk. I waited for about 30 minutes before my number was called.

Documents required:(copies - 2 of each) + your actual passport and work permit

Passport pic page

Passport visa page - entry stamp and departure card

Work permit pic page plus address page (in lieu of certificate of residence)

Medical certificate - less than 30 days old - I had 2 originals but was told a copy for 2nd license will suffice.

Paid 1060 baht for the 2 licenses

Processing took about 20 minutes

Went to photo area and took number - waited 15 minutes and done. Good for 5 years. No video or lectures.

• Like 2

I upgraded from a 1 to 5 year licence yesterday afternoon.

All relevant copies to hand - passport & yellow book - as well as medical cert & old licence.

Arrived 1245, # 247. Then processing #120. Left with licence at 1530.

No video, no tests. Just a long and uncomortable wait. The place was heaving and there were literally hundreds of young people in the training room (presumably motorcyclists).

Licence 22 March 2015 - 10 March 2021. (Theppanya medical 60 baht.)

• Like 2

I went and enquired this afternoon as my license expires soon.

They won't give a 5 year license with an elite visa

Initially I was told I needed a long term visa, though when I replied that I have a long term visa, the lady was quite firm stating it has to be a non-immigrant visa...

So it seems I'll be going through the renewal process *again* next year.

I have all documentation in hand and wanting to get thai license for both motorbike and car tomorrow, I have read elsewhere that I need to go at certain times to take a test, anyone who has gone through it recently confirm this, I was under the impression I could just show up whenever but I guess if they want to show vids and test it will only be at certain times. Cheers

I went and enquired this afternoon as my license expires soon.

They won't give a 5 year license with an elite visa

Initially I was told I needed a long term visa, though when I replied that I have a long term visa, the lady was quite firm stating it has to be a non-immigrant visa...

So it seems I'll be going through the renewal process *again* next year.

and to confuse things

I got new temporary licenses today, but valid for 2 years???

I think it was a stuffup.

and to confuse things

I got new temporary licenses today, but valid for 2 years???

I think it was a stuffup.

I went and got both licenses today (car and motorbike) fairly easy process besides the 3.5 hour wait, someone should open a massage place outside, would make some money!

I also got 2 years on my temporary licenses, at first I thought it was a stuffup too, so I kept my mouth shut not wanting her to correct it, but then she showed me "see you have 2 year" so might be something new.

Procedures here are never cut and dry for more than a month are they?

I read all these posts looking for an answer to a common query.

It seems you can only get a 5yr renewal if you have a visa OTHER THAN a tourist visa.

For those with TV renewals are annually (but now appears could be 2yr)

For another 1yr temp ensure you get there before current one expires.

Need same documents again medic certif and COR and copies of your passport....is it nrcrssary to copy your current plastic licence or do they retain it?

Did the colour test and driving test and multi choice question test last year. Do you have to go through all that again.?

Can you renew the licrnces a month in advance like to avoid songran holidays etc. i bet its heaving this week!

Dont want to go early morning and join the other 300 if early afternoon will suffice but i remember the classroom tests are at 1 and 4pm ......have to do again?

• 3 weeks later...

Try looking here....usually #1 source for info

<removed>

Edited by onthedarkside
Forum Rule 13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

Procedures here are never cut and dry for more than a month are they?

I read all these posts looking for an answer to a common query.

It seems you can only get a 5yr renewal if you have a visa OTHER THAN a tourist visa.

For those with TV renewals are annually (but now appears could be 2yr)

For another 1yr temp ensure you get there before current one expires.

Need same documents again medic certif and COR and copies of your passport....is it nrcrssary to copy your current plastic licence or do they retain it?

Did the colour test and driving test and multi choice question test last year. Do you have to go through all that again.?

Can you renew the licrnces a month in advance like to avoid songran holidays etc. i bet its heaving this week!

Dont want to go early morning and join the other 300 if early afternoon will suffice but i remember the classroom tests are at 1 and 4pm ......have to do again?

Went and got my 5 year licence yesterday, before the 1 year one expired (I'm on a retirement extension to a Non-Imm O visa)

Photocopying - I don't see any problem in doing a few copies....I always keep some in case they are needed for whatever.

Medical certificate....Klaimor hospital, 5 minutes and 150 baht. Easy.

CofR....500 baht again....now only free if you wait one month, but no hassle if you prepare paperwork properly.

Went to DLT...no colour test, or any test at all apart from my patience.... arrived at 13:00, given number 307...they were currently on 135!

Finally called to the desk at 16:05, and was out of the place by 16:30. Easy, but oh so boring.

• Like 1

The procedure slightly different when renewing your 1 year temporary for another temporary. I went 5 days before mine expired and they told me to come back today, the day it expires. did not want that as it was bedlam today after their 5 day shutdown.

As you say it was a patience game. the farangs including myself were fidgiting, up and down like yoyos,blowing and tutting..........the Thais resilient as ever, expresssionless, like normal for them.

I waited 3.5hrs to get to pay and then another 1hr waiting for the photograpghs. no Etests, no driving tests, no videos great!

The good thing is they now give me 2yrs from todays date for car and bike so thats cut down on the pain for a start.

• 2 weeks later...

Going from the 1-year temporary to one's first 5-year license (which I did a couple of weeks ago), one needs a medical certificate in addition to the items Tywais pointed out. I only received one cue number (I got #76 and they were currently on #46) and, after about 45 minutes, my number was up and I went to the window, the guy checked my paperwork

Thanks for that as I was hopping some one would come along with experience of the 1 to 5 year conversion. Also hope to get someone with recent experience in obtaining their 1st 1-year temporary license.

Also, if you note the next to bottom photo showing procedures it matches up exactly with your experience for 1 to 5 year. No physical nor training video.

Good evening. Im hoping for someone who may be able to advise me on my recent experience of trying to obtain my 1st 1year license from the DLT next to Regents school in Pattaya?

I went yesterday morning with more documents than I think I needed but felt better to be safe than sorry . . . I had my residence cert, photos, UK driving license, copies of front and back of driving license (card) copy of paper part of license, copies of passport (photo page, entry and exit from/to Thailand stamps in passport, copy of visas old/new in passport) Passport itself, everything, I even had a Thai friend with me in case anything got lost in translation!

Anyway I got to the desk and handed over everything I had, but was told I have to go to my embassy in BKK and get the UK license verified?? So, now I need to go there and do this. Has anyone else had this problem and if you can offer any further information that may be relevent, that would be good

thanks

you would think to changing your passport number on your 5 year drivers licence should be easily done ...... nah :(

in june last year i renewed my 5 year licences for the second time !

about a month ago i got a new passport in bangkok

i told my condo and all my banks ais d tac etc the new passport number and it was stamp stamp stamp copy copy copy sign sign sign etc without many problems :)

now as i use my drivers licence as id almost everywhere banks police airport etc both my drivers licences have now got the wrong number on them so off i went to the driving licence centre in hang dong road this morning

i saw the ladies at reception , explained the problem and they said go to counter 21..... i explained the problem again there and the lady said ok go and sit over there

5 minits later mr david was called and i very calmly explained the problem to another lady

she listend and said just use them untill april 2020 when they run out :)

cannot i said ... if a bank sees a different number to whats on their records it will be no no you cant take money from this account :(

and the police and everyone else will be the same so i have to get my new passport number printed on new licences !

ahh ok she said with a smile

you have to get a new residecy cirtificate from the office near promenada

a copy of your lease , a copy of you hotel manages id card front back and signd blah blah blah etc

you couldnt make it up : (

the lady who types the card details , takes the photo and prints it is 15 feet in front of me but i have to do all this to get my new passport number on my drivers licences

i half expected this and ill jump through the hoops as i dont want problems with thai officals banks immigration hospitals etc or the next five years but it would have been much easier if she had said

sit down , passport details , look at camera , print and pay over there ;)

dave2 .... going out for a beer later : )

ps ... when i got home i asked the reception girl to do me a ..

i live here letter

needed for the residency cirtificate and what she produced and bought to my room is still making me laugh .... thais ... dont you just love them :)

post-42592-0-80385900-1432038660_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I renewed my 5 year licence 2 days ago, got there for 12:45 and got my licence at approx 15:30.. I got just under 6 years, my licence had just expired by 2 days. clap2.gif

I didn't provide a medical report, just copies of passport, visa page, house papers and completed licence application form... Video 1 hour, no reaction or brake test, only color blind test.

The fee for the licence was 650 baht, but you only get a receipt for 550 baht whistling.gif The other 100 baht is given to the people taking the photo and issuing the licence ermm.gif Whoever is pocketing the 100 baht is making a fortune everyday as the office was packed with hundreds of people, kerching....

• 2 weeks later...

Today it took 2 hours or so, from just before 9:30 AM to change my one year licence to my first 5 year. 605 Baht and the only test was the traffic light colour test. No video, no rules test. Staff were quite pleasant and there was enough time to have a quick breakfast at the food stalls out back.

• 2 weeks later...

Have min. tourist visa + sit in class one day + medical certificate + pass theory and driving exam.

With international driving permit + license from your home country you can also get Thai license.

Have min. tourist visa + sit in class one day + medical certificate + pass theory and driving exam.

With international driving permit + license from your home country you can also get Thai license.

Unless things have changed recently if you bring your home driving licence this exempts you from sitting in any class or driving a car.

So if you want bike and car licences just bring your bike.

You need a medical certif 60bt and that painful letter of residency and photocopies of passport etc.

At the centre you will do an eye test as you hand in your paperwork. Then you have to do the computer test easy peasy if you drive in a civilised country then you need tp do the bike driving test...thats another joke which is a serious pre requisite to getting your photo done.

Its the longest day of your life thr first time but hey when those bibs see you pull those plastic cards out thr biggest smile will be on your face not theirs.

Hello all just got back to Chiang Mai after a three month work session back home

While I was gone both my 1 year driver's license and my bike registration have expired. I was hoping for an updated list of what is needed to renew them all, presently my old info is from Chon Buri

1. Can I do both the drivers license renewal and the registration of the bike at the same place and where do I go to get it done

2. Do I need a certificate of resident for a renewal - at immigration office? Do I need to go in early?

3. Do I need a doc certificate?

Anyone do it all recently and can help me out.. I read some posts on here but they seem to be a mixed back of different procedures.