AirAsia jet turns back in Thailand due to 'irregularity'

webfact

AirAsia jet turns back in Thailand due to 'irregularity'
Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |
BANGKOK: -- An AirAsia flight bound for northeast Thailand turned back to the capital Bangkok shortly after takeoff Tuesday when pilots detected an "irregularity" in the storage compartment, airline officials said.
The news comes as search teams detected debris in the sea from an AirAsia jet that vanished in a storm Sunday en route from Surabaya in Indonesia to Singapore with 162 people aboard.
A body was also sighted.
AirAsia Flight FD3254 returned to Bangkok's Don Mueang International Airport soon after departing for Khon Kaen at 11.10 am (0410 GMT).
It was allowed to resume service after engineers ruled out any technical problems.
"After departure from Don Mueang, the pilots detected a minor irregularity in the storage area, thus in the interest of safety the flight returned to land at Don Mueang Airport for a detailed inspection," said Thai AirAsia in a statement.
"Engineers did not discover any issues compromising the safety of flight FD3254," it said.
No passengers cancelled their flights and the plane arrived at its destination an hour behind schedule, officials said.
An AirAsia spokesman at Don Mueang Airport said the pilots turned back after "hearing some noise in the luggage compartment". He could not confirm the reason for the noise.
afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-12-30
--
RELATED STORY:

40 bodies have been recovered in the search for the missing AirAsia plane:

Video, full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787996-40-bodies-have-been-recovered-in-the-search-for-the-missing-airasia-plane/

• Like 1

Well if I had been in the plane I would have been very happy to return and land in one piece.

Unfortunately unlike a car one cannot get out and push a plane or give the beast a kick when some 30,000 feet+ (about 6 miles or 9 kilometers) up in the air.

I agree with Pattaya 28, no way with twin engines to hear noise in the cargo hold from the cockpit. If it were a fire, there be alarms and the fire suppression would go off. I wouldn't want to fly with these 2 guys in the cockpit, they must be ex taxi drivers.

• Like 1

I agree with Pattaya 28, no way with twin engines to hear noise in the cargo hold from the cockpit. If it were a fire, there be alarms and the fire suppression would go off. I wouldn't want to fly with these 2 guys in the cockpit, they must be ex taxi drivers.

Ever considered he went to have a look after being informed by one of the crew???????????????

You surely don't need everything spelled out to you do you ?????????????????????????????????

Edited by biplanebluey
  • Like 1

Passengers sat at Perth Airport 30hrs while they replaced a tyre which blew on landing. Mind Perth International, give the darlings their due , is being up-graded but 30 hrs there still represents 2 coffee1.gif days in the BKK Hilton.

Edited by chainarong

Strange !!

With all the aircraft sounds around, how can noises be heard in the baggage compartment ?

Very strange !!

Probably the same way you can hear many noises within an aircraft beyond the predictable hum of the engines including the wheels engaging and disengaging below the cargo hold and the flaps and spoilers on the wings, hydraulics... Not strange at all that a pilot and/or crew would be aware of unusual noises coming from below. Especially not strange considering it was heard and obviously loud enough to be heard .... maybe misinterpreting your post but almost seems like you are expressing doubt or credibility of the incident as if there was a conspiracy between the pilots to divert the plane.

Strange !!

With all the aircraft sounds around, how can noises be heard in the baggage compartment ?

Very strange !!

Not as strange as it sounds. Directly under the Flight Deck/Cabin is the Equipment & Electric Compartment (E & E) and there is a Bulkhead that separates it from the Forward Cargo Compartment. The Flight Deck/Cabin is quieter than you think and if something was moving around, loose bags or cargo they could hear it. The thing is you do not want stuff moving around in flight as it could damage the Cargo Compartment Lining, which becomes a Fire Hazard or banging into the back of the E & E Compartment with all the Electronic Components in there.

• Like 1

That'a a VERY expensive fuel-dump. 12 hours of avgas needing to be dumped to reach a safe landing weight..holy cow. Anyone knows what happens to the fuel at altitude after it's dumped? Just out of interest.

It just atomizes. Expensive, yes, but nothing compared to the lives of those aboard and the cost of the airplane. And having to land overgross definitely hazards the airplane. Some places do have restrictions governing areas over which, and altitudes below which, dumping can't be done except in emergencies I think. BTW, it's jet fuel, not AVGAS.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Well, this happen often. It's because of lack of training here in such country's.

Oh, not my words, just these from a arrogant US bitch at Fox NEWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlKz4b7IeG4

I do not know who made the original quote "It is better to sit in silence and be thought a fool, than to open you month and remove all doubt".

I have been in the airline/military aviation sector for over 60 years. I was a Flight Engineer, Mechanic and Maintenance Manager. I now inspect aircraft and records for the subsidiary of a major Japanese Bank. I have dealt with the Flight Crews and Maintenance of almost all the airlines in Asia. They are safe and their aircraft are maintained to regulatory requirements.

My favorites are EVA and Thai International.

It is ultimately the responsibility of the Captain to maintain a safe flight. I was not there, but perhaps it would have been better to divert and/or land. The A320 is not capable of climbing over some the storms in that area. Some of those thunderheads can go to 50,000ft and the A320 can not.

I believe this a weather related accident, and may God Bless those involved passengers and families !!

• Like 1

Passengers sat at Perth Airport 30hrs while they replaced a tyre which blew on landing. Mind Perth International, give the darlings their due , is being up-graded but 30 hrs there still represents 2 coffee1.gif days in the BKK Hilton.

I do not know where they had to get the tire from, I have worked nearly all the commercial aircraft made since 1950 and you can change the Wheel Assemble on the worst one in no more than two hours from a standing start, that is if you have a Wheel Assembly, Jack and Tools. What airline were you flying that took 30 hours ?

Well, this happen often. It's because of lack of training here in such country's.

Oh, not my words, just these from a arrogant US bitch at Fox NEWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlKz4b7IeG4

I do not know who made the original quote "It is better to sit in silence and be thought a fool, than to open you month and remove all doubt".

I have been in the airline/military aviation sector for over 60 years. I was a Flight Engineer, Mechanic and Maintenance Manager. I now inspect aircraft and records for the subsidiary of a major Japanese Bank. I have dealt with the Flight Crews and Maintenance of almost all the airlines in Asia. They are safe and their aircraft are maintained to regulatory requirements.

My favorites are EVA and Thai International.

It is ultimately the responsibility of the Captain to maintain a safe flight. I was not there, but perhaps it would have been better to divert and/or land. The A320 is not capable of climbing over some the storms in that area. Some of those thunderheads can go to 50,000ft and the A320 can not.

I believe this a weather related accident, and may God Bless those involved passengers and families !!

As for the last part of your post, you navigated wrong!!

Wrong thread...............................................coffee1.gif