Overstay in Thailand with no money

What do you mean by troll?? I just wanted to ask for advice so my friend knows all of his options.

If you can one day figure out why there are so many paranoid accusations here, please explain it to the rest of us. It's hard to ignore all the constant remarks like tha\, but just focus on the relevant advise, because many of these guys are just looking for a fight and will derail it given half a chance. There are solutions.

I have every sympathy with anyone in such a position. Even if he has been foolish. But many of us have been at some point. All I'm suggesting is caution when financial help is 'perhaps' being asked for from random sources on the internet.

Makes sense! Apologies, I hadn't actually seen your whole post at that point, I assumed too much.

• Like 1

I think family and friends need to help him out one last time for flight, overstay costs and bus to airport. DonnyBoy, you can arrange the ticket purchase and send him cost of overstay, 20,000 +, make it 30,000 to be sure. Good luck and let us know how it goes, and don't disappear like a troll would.

Hi flanno, his parants and friends have loaned him money. I do not know what he has done with it but now he has nothing. there have been a lot of informative posts that have been passed on. Cheers

Then it can actually be that the parents do not trust him to use the money for a ticket, if they offer help again.

Then there is another solution he and the family can think about. If the parents send the money to the embassy instead, they will find a suitable ticket for him, and follow him through to the immigration desk at the airport. I know this has happened before, and the embassy will do everything for the family and him, to make sure he will follow the parents wishes. That way, the parents can be sure the money will be used to its purpose this time.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Where is the "friend" now?

This advice about turning oneself in for incarceration at IDC is good for someone in Bangkok, but what if the OP's friend is far, far away from Bangkok. How does that work? Aren't there issues with being held in a local police station in Nakorn Nowhere and eventually being transported to Bangkok. I've heard that can be an unpleasant multi-day process.

At least the weather is fairly pleasant this time of year. It's not likely they use aircon mini vans for transport.

The advice about turning oneself in for incarceration is NOT a good idea, especially if he's broke; the treatment would be extremely unpleasant. I personally wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Far (far) better to get the overstay fine and travel together, and take the mod's advice about going to Laos, etc.

The advice of turning himself in, is only good if he can come up with 23-25000 bath only, and nothing more. Otherwise, I will strongly not recommend it.

But the other advice, go through the immigration in Laos and back with a visa, also takes that kind of money or more, and I don`t see that it will be a solution for him. Still he doesn`t have any money for staying in Thailand, and he may very well end up in the same predicament.

Better for the bloke to get back to UK, and earn up some money before returning to Thailand.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Embassy will NOT help. Standard policy in these cases. Teaching in Isaan will probably not cut it. Either he gets send money from the U.K., or he will, inevitably, eventually wind up in a Thai jail, without any prospect of leaving same any time soon.

What happens to people that end up in jail for overstaying? If they don't have money and no-one will send them any, surely they don't stay in jail for life. What's the usual ending in these scenarios?

There are charities that generally help out eventually. It takes a long time because there is a big queue waiting for help.

It is very easy to end up in a " financial mess " here in Thailand ( or anywhere ).I have recently been robbed of a huge amount of money ( nothing to do with Thailand ) a situation that has left me " skating on thin ice " But i have put aside emergency flight money and my visa is all correct and up to date.But there are options ( but not a lot....)

1. Borrow the money and pay the fine and get a flight home to the UK ( current flight prices one way to UK from 14,000 baht.)

2. Stay here and find a job in a school in the country and if you enjoy it then you don't have to go home!

3.If you do return to the UK remember that to claim " job seekers allowance " ( Benefit Street ) then you have to be living in the country (UK) for a minimum of 3 months before you can claim! ( miracles can sometimes happen....)

F.J xwub.png

• Like 1

the british embassy will help,that is what they are there for. They can give you a loan under the promise to repay scheme,you have to payit back within 6 months or 10% is added on to it. I know from first hand experience that they will do this.However they will not give you money for your overstay only a flight home. If he was an ex service man you could try SAAFA Sailors Army Airforce Association. They help ex service men in need.

• Like 1

I refer to the post #137 where the poster is saying that the British Embassy in Bangkok and its consulates will provide financial help to UK citizens. The British Embassy website tends to differ with that post by saying:

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot

• pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
  • Like 2

the british embassy will help,that is what they are there for. They can give you a loan under the promise to repay scheme,you have to payit back within 6 months or 10% is added on to it. I know from first hand experience that they will do this.However they will not give you money for your overstay only a flight home. If he was an ex service man you could try SAAFA Sailors Army Airforce Association. They help ex service men in need.

Well, I have stayed at IDC for a couple of weeks, and know for a fact that none of the brits there imprisoned for overstaying (there were quite a few), got any financal help whatsoever from their embassy. And the inmates there do not have any more overstay fine to pay, only the tickets.

In fact, they were very disappointed with the embassy. That was less than 2 months ago.

When did you have this first hand experience? A long time ago?

Edited by thaibreaker

I refer to the post #137 where the poster is saying that the British Embassy in Bangkok and its consulates will provide financial help to UK citizens. The British Embassy website tends to differ with that post by saying:

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot

• pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf

If thats the case,they are a waste of time. Seems to be no help,or very little with most important things like murder etc.

Someone tell me what do they do?? Just to get fxxxed around by the mainly Thai staff when you need a document? Waste of tax payers funds

Things will change.

I have heard of no cases in recent years when the UK Embassy advanced money for a ticket home. Of the major Western countries, I think only the US will do this. How long ago was your first-hand experience where the UK helped anyone in this way?

Edited by BritTim

I have heard of no cases in recent years when the UK Embassy advanced money for a ticket home. Of the major Western countries, I think only the US will do this. How long ago was your first-hand experience where the UK helped anyone in this way?

I just asked the same question. Must be many years ago.

Since it doesn`t make any sense lying about it (this is serious enough as it is), I guess it must be some truth to it.

Anyway, it doesn`t help the OP, as the situation is different now.

Edited by thaibreaker

Happy new year to everyone as I wont post again!

I just removed 25 posts and replies to them.

Since you state you will not be posting again I am closing this topic. You can send me a PM and I will reopen it if that is what you want..

Topic xmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.UuJWYpOV2u