Overstay in Thailand with no money

He might give his embassy a try?

Now he knows why Hotel California is played here so often wink.png

Edit: Oops we posted at the same time.
Yes I would give the embassy a try you never know.

They may have a loan type deal

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I don't believe the embassy will do anything other than give replaement travel documents, if he has lost his, in terms of buying a ticket etc they always say they will not do thiss. Hope somone has more up to date info on this, if he turned up at embassy in just the clothes he was wearing and nothing else, would they just kick him out? or would they relent

• Like 1

I know a German guy that lost his retirement pension money to a girl shortly after getting to Pattaya. He is still here in Isaan, on overstay, with his wife and a small house, 10 years later. Not a good situation to be in. No way would I criticise people that get into this kind of mess without knowing what happened. If the Swiss Frank goes under ฿27.00 (33 now) then I have to go home also, but at least I have some reserves.

• Like 1

I know how irresponsible he was but looking past that now and trying to help him. Maybe there is nothing he can do unless he either works illegally or gets sent the money for tickets and overstay fine. Cheers

Er no, not "looking past that now".

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you expect OP: Sure, I can give him free money!! I think that train has left. You won't get much sympathy, which is just part of the internet. So I would put your energy towards other solutions.....yes, call embassy. have his parents start a fund in his home town. call his local tv station. of course his parents must have collateral for a pawn shop to get a loan....have them go to money lenders. You have your own family and wife, and we have our own responsibilities as well. friends help friends more than strangers...

• Like 2

Right now the financial needs of your friend are the cost of the plane ticket home and 20,000 baht (a little less than 400 pound sterling) for the maximum overstay fine. Plus the cost of a emergency travel document if he lost his passport. As mentioned, there were plans to institute a blacklist program for overstays but that hasn't taken effect yet.

If your friend goes to the British Embassy he'll find there are no funds available for repatriation assistance. They will offer to cable the Foreign Office in the U.K. with details of his plight and contact information for his relatives so someone in London can call his relatives to ask for funds to be sent for his assistance. That's it. They'll make an official phone call or two on your friend's behalf.

He'll receive additional assistance from the Embassy if he's arrested for overstay and incarcerated in the Immigration Detention Center in Bangkok. Embassy representatives will visit him and more phone calls to relatives will be made on his behalf.

He really does need to step up the appeal to friends and relatives to borrow the funds necessary to get out of Thailand while he can.

The British Embassy does very little to help its citizens in this situation. The one thing it can do is to help insure that funds are used for their intended purpose.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2