Thai safety centre to study road smashes, offer ways to cut toll

webfact

It's easy. Get tough on speeders, get tough on reckless and careless drivers, get tough on DUI. Teach people not to overtake on blind corners or hills. Teach them not to overtake on the left. Teach them to give right of way to the vehicle on their right. Basically teach them how to drive. Require real driving lessons, at least 24 hours, and then test them on the roads in real conditions not a parking lot. Do written test on a computer and only issue a license if the computer says ok.

Another study! study after study and still another study? I wrote a comprehensive letter to Bangkok Post a number of years ago, you guys didn't get it or was it just not from a Thai?

The letter had point by point as to what was being done and not being done? My experience in the States were well stated and my offer was for free but now I've lived here for so long I basically one of you I'm told so if you want help now and if the leaders have the fortitude I can cut it in half in one year, just one year! it is easy! but it comes with a price? Give me a call?

"I wrote a comprehensive letter to Bangkok Post a number of years ago, you guys didn't get it or was it just not from a Thai?"

You know this is ThaiVisa, not the Bangkok Post?

"...if the leaders have the fortitude I can cut it in half in one year, just one year! it is easy! but it comes with a price? Give me a call?"

I think this offer needs to be addressed to Prayuth, not some relatively insignificant foreign language forum and the chances of him taking advice from a member here or even reading a forum that seems dedicated to slagging him off are fairly remote. Try sending your application to Government House.

These "news" used to bring smile to my face. They sound so gung-ho with the studies and committees. How long can one hit his head in to the wall before realizing it is not a good idea. Politicians are what they are globally, but Thai ones really are as dumb as dog shit. Sad really.

Good thing is that they have plenty of material to study from!

How much are they paying someone to do the study? I'll give them the one I just completed for free. It took one minute to finish. Difficult to believe these dullards don't know why people die in crashes:

1 Stop driving drunk (This means after the first case of beer you must stop drinking before driving)

2 Stay on your side of the road (Re-train them to know which side of the road belongs to them)

3 Keep within the speedlimit (Or no more than 50 over)

4 Stop texting while you are driving (She isn't gonna believe you anyway)

"3 Keep within the speedlimit (Or no more than 50 over)"

There's one very good reason not to use your study, free or not.

hahahahaha - got you hook, line and sinker. You're so busy being self-important and sanctimonious that you can't detect humour.

You can not teach monkeys to drive a car.
So an IQ Test should be mandatory.
Thailand must try to take all this crazy, lunatic drivers of from the streets.
It is like to give a 3-year-old a gun with life ammunition to play.
Do not get me wrong, there a many good drivers here,
but they must filter out the brain dead idiots.
In fact, not everybody is able to drive a car save.

Edited by tomacht8

How about learning "Common Sense"

"Common sense" in Thailand? Surely you jest. One only has to look at how they park their motorbikes. It is beyond "common sense" why they park so close to the bike next to them that sometimes you can't even get on your bike. And this is besides the damage from scratches and dings done because of the way they park.

Second, note the way they drive on motorbikes. If there is even an inch of space to move up in line or next to you they take it at a light instead of just taking their turn and staying behind you. I've had idiots hit my bike as they try to get by.

Now, "common sense" has as fairly clear meaning to anyone who has it but honestly most Thais do not have "common sense". So, without being unduly critical one must ask oneself why not? I truly have no idea. I thought "common sense" was inherent like knowing basically what is right and wrong. But maybe not if one uses Thailand as a barometer. So maybe it has to be taught.

And since most Thais do not pay any attention to the way they drive, or traffic laws for that matter, I doubt one could infuse a sense of "common sense" even through education.

I think clearly the drivers have no respect for the police or at least any fear of getting a ticket unless of course the brass need a few bucks for themselves and set up the helmut barricades. So no one is gonna stop breaking traffic laws. Hell, I even drive on the sidewalk now to get by. Go with the flow I guess. But I don't park my bike next to someone else. Of course by the time I get back to it I am surrounded by bikes.

I can only surmise when God handed out "common sense" He ran out when He got to Thailand and it is still on backorder.

If anyone parks too close to my bike, and I mean 'too close', like making it difficult to get on it, my elbow "accidently" knocks hard against their mirror.

• Like 2

Here's my two cents worth.

1. Road worthy inspections for vehicles. Especially older ones in NZ I think we now get a 3 year certificate for a brand new vehicle and 6 or 12 months after that.

2. Stop tinting front windscreens. If you've ever driven one of these cars at night you will know it is insane. Hard enough to see people, dogs, motorbikes with no lights cows elephants etc etc. You wouldn't drive around at night with sunglasses on.

3. Maintain the roads, you can hardly see the road markings.

4 Stop putting whatever bloody coloured lights you want on you vehicles headlights are white. Index Catonsville are amber and brake and tail lights are red.

atonsville are

every year we get the same old same old thing trundled out, photos taken, (don't they just love photos? ) i am still dodging scooters, being ridden on the pavements, intersection where i live, right opposite cop booth, scooter riders still running red lights to save 10 seconds. don't think it will ever get better, only worse as more scooters get on the roads (sorry, should read pavements) lol !!

It's truly an amusement, scary as it is, to watch most Thai's drive. Have you ever watched one attempt to park their auto at the mall or store? Most attempt to back into their parking space. It takes what seems an eternity for them to get out of the traffic lane! I just wonder how the caution on backing up began, and, more importantly, when will the caution begin when driving forward?...I'm not holding my breath

Give me break. Thailand has held the record for the first or second (after China) safety record in the world for years. So, now they are going to STUDY the problem. No more study needed folks; now you just have DO something.

one thing they should do but will never do is confiscate the vheicle at once! make the driver attend driving school(non existent) fine the hell out of him and place the idiot in jail for at least a month! it will never happen but it should.

Confiscate every vehicle involved in an accident? Well that's a brilliant idea, implemented worldwide and helps to reduce accidents no doubt.

Contrary to your (lack of) observation there are many driving schools in Thailand but why should anyone be compelled to attend a school when it's the test that really matters? There's not many, if any, other countries with a better accident rate that demand instruction from a driving school.

Fine and imprison all those involved in traffic accidents? What sense does that make?

In American, the police are in cars and on motorcycles on the road enforcing the traffic laws and responding to crimes and need for help. Yes, there are many driving schools, but there is widespread breaking of those laws. The Thai virtue of being polite appears to disappear when behind a wheel of a car. Driving while drunk is considered O.K., with no understanding or caring that it is not possible to drive well when you are drunk. If one is in an accident, mai bpen rai, If an innocent person is injured or killed, mai bpen rai. There does not appear to be any concern with anyone or anything.

Maybe a year ago, in Bangkok, a man in a new Benz was in back of a motorcycle, not motorbike, but a big bike. The bike was going the speed of the traffic, but the man decided that it should not be there, so he ran over the bike, killing the driver. This was not an accident, he decided to do this. Then, witnesses reported that he got out of his car and started yelling at the top of his voice who he was and who his father was and how many important people he knew. Clearly he was attempting to scare away any witness to what he had done.

The last place I lived in the U.S., if you dive drunk and are caught, you loose your driving license for 4 months, have to attend driving classes, are fined about B60,000, and have to work at community service for 4 months at night. If caught again, driving license is taken for 1 year, fine is B150,000. The third time you can never drive again and you go to jail for one year. If you try to bribe the police, you will go to jail for 2 years or more. This is what farang mean by enforce the laws. It means that everyone will know what will happen, no exceptions.

If Thailand enforced what laws there are about driving, there would be fewer accidents. Driving schools and parents need to teach that the most important place to be polite is when you are driving a dangerous weapon.

Study and solutions:

1. Speeding - enforce the speed limit by fining drivers for anything over 10% of the speed limit. Fines to start at 3000 baht plus loss of points.

2. Untrained drivers - teach people to actually drive instead of handing out licences. All drivers must pass a written test. Once passed they must only drive with another licensed driver and take a minimum of 3 months worth of driving lessons with a licensed school (all schools must have instructors who know how to drive majority would be Foreigner because Thai's just can't drive). After the 3 months training, they then must pass an extensive driving test which they would only be able to make 3 minor errors otherwise they would fail and need to come back again the next day. If they pass they get a provisional licence with only 3 points attached. Those 3 points need to last them 3 years. If they lose their points they lose their licence and have to start the process again. After 3 years they get a full licence with 12 points. The government need to educate people.

3. Lack of enforcement - Police need to start doing their job. If they see someone breaking a road rule, fine them and demerit points from licence. Again start the fines at 3000 baht. If it's a serious offence, take their licence and the car/bike for a period of 3 months first offence, 6 months second offence and for life third offence.

4. Drink driving - it's not to do with alcohol sales, but the lack of law enforcement and testing drivers for alcohol. Set up random tests in various locations which will be different each day. This way drivers will never know where they are. If over the limit, fine them, take their license and their car/bike.

5. Driving on the wrong side of the road, cutting corners, riding a bike without a helmet, not giving way, failure to stop at traffic lights, failure to stop at crossings, pulling out without looking etc etc…. the list can go on forever. See all mentioned above. Apply massive fines, take their cars/bikes, take their license and have law enforcement enforce the law and road rules.

6. Driving without a licence or on multiple disqualifications, simply send them to jail for a min 3 months.

7. No insurance - make sure everyone on the road has insurance. If not foe themselves at least a 3rd party insurance to cover the cost of the other person and their car or bike. No insurance should mean automatically at fault and full cost to be paid. If they can't afford it, then the government to pay and that person in debt to the government until paid back within a time frame. At least the other person with be covered for injury and damage to their property.

It's quite easily really. The problem is Thai's are lazy, don't care about the safety of themselves or that of others and unless they start listening to others, they will never learn and things will never change. This includes the government, they are clueless and have no idea at all. They don't listen or even look at other countries for ideas. All that needs to be done is to look at the countries with the safest roads and copy exactly what they are doing. It's like the blind leading the blind here.

Install a "governor"on every car, that will limit the speed they can drive.

Set the limit to 45km per hour.

Any one caught removing them, or disconnecting it,

has their vehicle taken and auctioned off, license permenetly revoked, and 50,000

baht fine and 2 years in jail.

Set the limit to 45km per hour. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Why bother to drive then? Not much faster than walking! Me thinks that this may be Singha talking. whistling.gif

Why do they always have to have these committees and studies when other countries have good solutions that would go a long, long way to reducing accidents in this country. Do they really think they will come up with unique solutions that are better than other country's solutions.

One of the best solutions, but certainly not the ONLY solution, I know of is what we do is the US. You MUST have patrol cars out in all cities and on all highways in the country ready to run down a reckless or speeding driver or for any other traffic law violation. Once driver's know they can easily be caught anytime and anywhere then they will start to modify their driving habits. Thais or falang have zero incentive to modify their habits. I am NEVER stopped for speeding in a city and very seldom on the highways.

Checkpoints do not do the job. However, checkpoints at certain times and in certain areas for the sole purpose of checking on driver impairment due to alcohol or drugs is an extremely useful tools. Thailand does not do enough of this. Most checkpoints on highways are for speeding and lately there have been many reports of urine testing, but what about alcohol? Has anyone ever seen or had a Thai cop use a "breathalyzer"?

Yes I was stopped and breathalyzed while riding my Harley about 2 years ago near the dolphin roundabout in Pattaya, it was a low reading and i was sent on my way, my friend who was riding with me showed a positive reading and was taken to the cells for the night and then to court the next day in chains, fined and released, he told me he had to stand all night because the cell was full and it was impossible to sit down,

another guy i know was recently stopped and failed the test, he had to pay B30.000 bail and appear in court. he was fined and given community service and had to watch a one hour video on road safety, the police could not find any suitable community service for a farang so that was cancelled.

Here is my solution and it is free

1. Require all divers to undergo a written test with passing grade is 85%.

2.Also require driver to attend a certified driving school that gives them 10 hours behind the wheel training.

3. All drivers required to have eyes tested by certified eye doctor.

4. The most important part of all ENFORCE ALL TRAFFIC LAWS .

And as a side note If caught driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol Automatic 1 year jail term and loss of car If in accident with injuries with mentioned 2 years jail term 200,000 baht fine plus pay all damages or if death happens 20 years plus all mentioned plus loss of ever driving again.

Edited by Strangebrew

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Analyse risk factors and recommend solutions.

Drink driving
Excessive speed
Failure to comply with the rules of the road in general
Poor road design
No helmets
Underage/undertrained drivers
No traffic law enforcement

This is not an exhaustive list, but could you just deposit my fee direct. Job done.

I posted a similar list about a year ago and also asked for my fee to be deposited; still waiting, patiently.

It's in the post ,,,sorry.

• Like 1

great...another freekin seminar at a 5star with free lunches ,mabey they will make a pie chart and really get to the bottom of this....try , lazy thais and thier ''im the commander and driver'' attitude...followed by equipment ready for the scrap yard and the total takeover of the roads by tour buses and mini vans who don't care about anyone or anything,just get the tour group to the''all you can eat seafood buffet on time''' sawadee no crap...fix this problem hahaha we are way past that point....

Centre to study road smashes, offer ways to cut toll

The Nation

30251008-05_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE INTERIOR Ministry yesterday opened a Road Safety Centre to oversee road accidents during the New Year period (yesterday until January 5), analyse risk factors and recommend solutions.

Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda said the centre would not predict a national accident toll. Instead the government would concentrate on avoidance and implement measures such as traffic law reinforcement, trying to limit the sale and consumption of alcohol, and road safety awareness campaigning.

Meanwhile, Public Health permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahamethapat reaffirmed people could call for help with accidents via the 1669 hotline. Emergency medical teams could reach accident scenes or help acutely ill people within 10 minutes of notification, he said.

In related news, 31 people were injured yesterday when a bus transporting 40 Russian tourists swerved to avoid an oncoming sedan before slipping off a curve and plunging into a five-metre-deep ditch in Phuket's Krathu district.

The driver of the sedan, Tantima Thaworn, 37, was seriously injured, along with 30 passengers from the bus - all were taken to Patong Hospital.

Bus driver Arun Yaemkreu, 46, was slightly hurt. He told police he was taking the Russians from the airport to a hotel when an oncoming sedan overtook another vehicle, prompting him to swerve to avoid it. The bus then plunged into the ditch.

In Sa Kaew's Khlong Leuk district, a van carrying 10 foreign tourists - Swedish, British, Argentinean and Korean - from Bangkok to the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint, crashed into a tree on Suwannasorn Road yesterday. Van driver Somkiat Surakhosit, 49, was knocked unconscious and admitted to hospital.

The tourists later continued their journey to Cambodia. Police suspect the driver's blackout resulted from a chronic illness or cardiac arrest after he took an energy drink.

In Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district, a three-car pile-up on Mitraparp Highway - in front of Ratchasima Wittayalai School - prompted a bus to swerve across the traffic lane and collide with a pick-up, a motorcycle and a power pole early yesterday. Eleven people were slightly hurt. The accident caused a severe traffic jam up to five kilometres long.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Centre-to-study-road-smashes-offer-ways-to-cut-tol-30251008.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-12-31

Going to oversee the problem? Really? That means doing sweet f a about it again. And i swear these headlines are purelly for our benefit like they want us to think there doing something usefull. Dont see many of these headlines in thai papers.

Of course when they dont enforce the laws, nobody will obey them. Its not rocket science.

I dont live in Bangkok, but when they started fining people Bt 2000 for littering, didnt it stop almost overnite? I could not understand why they only enforced the law in Bangkok and not nationwide.

And isnt it something that "we" seem to be the only ones that care that "they" are slaughtering each other on the roads.