Quiet neighborhood suggestions for CNX

ByblosYuNaiSoi

Hi All,

I have big noise issues in my present home*, so am looking to move.

Where can you suggest? My only criterion really is that it is maximum 1.5 km from the city moat, on any side, and that you have experienced a consistently quiet atmosphere, at least after 22.00 (10 pm).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Especially now during the "Count Down Festival:" karaoke on one side and Thapae Gate rock bands till midnight on the other side. I've called the police: the response is "happy new year ceremony" - I guess they have a permit to keep everybody awake until all hours. I don't like sleeping with earplugs, but that's the only solution for now.

So, due to a clear lack of law enforcement of existing noise laws(surprise! See other noise threads), I have opted to look for new digs in a quieter neighborhood, and am looking for suggestions on where to begin my search.

Surely many places within your rather tight distance criterion will have both quiet and noisy locations within 100 metres of each other?

And some that are consistently quiet may change as new bars open or new inconsiderate owners of noisy dogs move in??

Or the hitherto quiet condo may have a rash of renovations, or noisy neighbours move in.

Impossible to escape the risk of future noise I think, even in areas that are quiet now. Nong Hoi is quiet in many areas but Holiday Inn is 2km from moat so outside your area maybe?

• Like 2

I once lived on an abandoned moobaan beyond Hang Dong and the old Carrefour supermarket (San Glan).

1 mile down a country soi, in the middle of jungle.

Karaoke noise every night, never did find out where it came from.

No zoning laws here, you just take your chance and hope a welding shop doesn't start up next door.

JingerBen: please note distance criteria in the post. Happy New Year and thanks so much for your help.

That is a little to complicated for him to understand.

In a blind rush to Thai bash he forgot to read the article.

I myself would start to look on the south side of the moat.

Thanks for this- Hong Noi sounds interesting though as you say it's a bit further than ideal. Someone mentioned it to me last night too. I like that area.

Surely many places within your rather tight distance criterion will have both quiet and noisy locations within 100 metres of each other?

And some that are consistently quiet may change as new bars open or new inconsiderate owners of noisy dogs move in??

Or the hitherto quiet condo may have a rash of renovations, or noisy neighbours move in.

Impossible to escape the risk of future noise I think, even in areas that are quiet now. Nong Hoi is quiet in many areas but Holiday Inn is 2km from moat so outside your area maybe?

Given your "distance parameters" I doubt you'll find anywhere that you can "take to the bank" being noise-free over time.

Today's quiet is tomorrow's Sombat-got-a-new-karaoke; this morning's silence is tomorrow's sounds of a new building going up; early evening's tranquility graced by the murmur of distant chanting in a Wat is midnight's new-alpha-male-dog-in-the-hood leads the pack in chanson de howl.

I've lived in Nong Hoi a long time, in two places both within 1.5 kilometers of the Gymkhana Club, and both have been relatively quiet, but all the disruptions described above have happened, and lasted for a while.

I admit I do kind of miss the morning broadcast of the fighting-cock-in-a-big-basket who started screaming "I am a Turkey" at about 5am every day (for hours) in the first place I lived in; I got used to him. His serenade was a constant for over a year.

~o:37;

• Like 1

It's not impossible. Wife has a house that (more or less) meets criteria and is quiet. (Actually 1.7 km from the moat at Loy Kroh, but less than 1km from Night Bazar area, etc.)

(Evening hours at least; it's near a school. ;) )

No word though if OP is looking for house or condo? If condo then pick something in Doi Ping Mansion? Pretty quiet area but short walk to the moat.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I once lived out near Suan Doc temple, back when it was considered the boonies, many years ago. Between the neighbors cranking up the tunes at 5 in the morning, the roosters, the dogs and blowing up bombs in front of my house for weeks around any holiday, I never found it quiet at all. I moved back into town as it was a lot less boring and not anymore noisy.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I live off Kampandin in the soi areas between Thapae and Loi Kroi. It's pleasant enough out here. Lots of guest houses. Quiet enough with maybe the exception of the folks who fence their dogs, but I pretty much can put barking out of my mind without too much effort. What's you're other options: gated communities? I prefer living with Thais in their communities. Chang Kong district. Or maybe its Kong Chang - I'm admittedly dyslexic blink.png

Edited by connda

Given your "distance parameters" I doubt you'll find anywhere that you can "take to the bank" being noise-free over time.

Today's quiet is tomorrow's Sombat-got-a-new-karaoke; this morning's silence is tomorrow's sounds of a new building going up; early evening's tranquility graced by the murmur of distant chanting in a Wat is midnight's new-alpha-male-dog-in-the-hood leads the pack in chanson de howl.

I've lived in Nong Hoi a long time, in two places both within 1.5 kilometers of the Gymkhana Club, and both have been relatively quiet, but all the disruptions described above have happened, and lasted for a while.

I admit I do kind of miss the morning broadcast of the fighting-cock-in-a-big-basket who started screaming "I am a Turkey" at about 5am every day (for hours) in the first place I lived in; I got used to him. His serenade was a constant for over a year.

I love when the Muay Thai advertisement trucks roll down the sois blaring the "To-nite We Have Thai Box-zing!!!!......etc etc etc", and every dog withing 2 kilometers starts howling!!! What a hoot.

I love when the Muay Thai advertisement trucks roll down the sois blaring the "To-nite We Have Thai Box-zing!!!!......etc etc etc", and every dog withing 2 kilometers starts howling!!! What a hoot.

They only roll down those sois blaring, because they know they're full,of backpackers and short stay tourists who maybe don't know about the boxing. They are certainly not doing it for the Thai community.

Orang37 your first paragraph is perfect.

Edited by uptheos

They only roll down those sois blaring, because they know they're full,of backpackers and short stay tourists who maybe don't know about the boxing. They are certainly not doing it for the Thai community.

Orang37 your first paragraph is perfect.

LOL, where I live they just ripped down a 5 star hotel to put up a <drum roll> 7 star hotel. I never in my wildest dream imagined they'd do that. So this week we have multiple backhoes, pneumatic cement jackhammers, and more backhoes, dump trucks - you name it. Hopefully they'll have the grading done in a couple more days than comes the 6 months of construction. I swear they rip down one building and put up another one about every 15 months. And agreed Orang37 555!

OP here:

Two questions:

1. Where is Rincom?

2. RE Doi Ping, I like that area a lot. Is there a local fresh market nearby?

RE house or condo, doesn't matter. I am thinking that my present, great 10th-floor breezes and views are also largely to blame for the noise problem. My place just gathers up all that street noise from far and wide LOL.

Thanks for the Thapae/Loi Kroh neighborhood suggestion. I walk through it a lot and it seems pretty agreeable. RE say or evening; day noise in a city is just unavoidable I think. It's really the post-10 pm loudspeaker stuff that's the bigger issue. Oh yeah and the 7 am amplified wat business.

It's not impossible. Wife has a house that (more or less) meets criteria and is quiet. (Actually 1.7 km from the moat at Loy Kroh, but less than 1km from Night Bazar area, etc.)

(Evening hours at least; it's near a school. wink.png )

No word though if OP is looking for house or condo? If condo then pick something in Doi Ping Mansion? Pretty quiet area but short walk to the moat.

"Today's quiet is tomorrow's Sombat-got-a-new-karaoke; this morning's silence is tomorrow's sounds of a new building going up; early evening's tranquility graced by the murmur of distant chanting in a Wat is midnight's new-alpha-male-dog-in-the-hood leads the pack in chanson de howl"

Truer words could not be spoken.

• Like 1