First of seven 'dangerous New Year holidays' see 58 killed in road accidents

webfact

First of seven "dangerous New Year holidays" see 58 killed in road accidents

BANGKOK: -- The Road Safety Centre reported Wednesday that 508 road accidents happened on Tuesday, the first day of the seven-day road accident monitoring period for the New Year holidays.

The accidents saw 58 people killed and 517 others injured. Drunk driving was the main cause of the accident with 36.61 per cent of the cases involved drunk drivers and 82.41 of the cases were accidents happened to motorcycles.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/First-of-seven-dangerous-New-Year-holidays-see-58--30251037.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-31

I had to drive Mrs T to work this morning as she didn't want to be on the road because of the idiots, I did not enjoy it.

The island is full of tourists who have no idea how to drive a car or ride a motorbike on roads that are not flat or straight. I will finish work at 5pm today, and whilst I am going to stay in a resort tonight, I will be driving there and the car will not be moving for the next 48 hours. Far too many idiots on the road for my liking.

• Like 2

Tweaked my knee jumping out of the way of a motorcycle 2 days ago. He had no intension of stopping or even slowing down. He was all over the place. Not too sure how many drinks went down his neck on that night !!!

• Like 1

I live 18 klm from the city of CNX. Nice and quiet here. And this is exactly where I'm gonna stay for the next week until the madness has somewhat subdued.

I checked all the maps I could and didn't find a city called 'CNX'.

Perhaps you mean an airport?

• Like 1

Before everyone gets too upset, that is 14 deaths less than the national average of 72 per day. So perhaps all the police checks and increased enforcement is working.

Thai Gov only counts road death if person died at the scene. WHO data is the 72 per day. Figure the real numbers are 3-5 times higher than reported

• Like 1

1st dangerous day, 508 accidents, 58 deaths, 517 injuries

BANGKOK, 31December 2014 (NNT) - The Directing Center for Road Accident Prevention and Reduction during New Year 2015 holidays has revealed there have already been 508 accidents, causing 58 deaths and 517 injuries on the first day of the seven dangerous days.

The major cause of road accidents is still drunk driving with 36.61% of all accidents being drink related, followed by high-speed driving accidents accounting for 23.82%.

82.41% of the accidents involved motorcyclists and 58.86% happened on highways.

Chiang Mai Province has had the highest number of accidents on the first day, followed by Surat Thani with 23 accidents causing 23 injuries. However, the highest number of deaths among all provinces is in Buriram. Six people were killed in car accidents

The daily summary of the accident situation for 30th December 2014 was reported at a press conference by Mr. Arkom Termpittayapaisith, Deputy Minister of Transport.

He said that the government has emphasized all measures to facilitate road users and ensure the least loss of life and property during the holidays.

The main measure is to provide sufficient facilities for people who travel in their personal cars, or by land and air public transport vehicles.

To assist road users in their personal cars, local authorities in each area are united in accident control. Earlier they promoted through the media, alternative directions for those who wish to bypass main roads.

In terms of public safety measures, there are service provider stations along the main roads throughout Thailand. The stations are available 24-hours a day for holiday makers to report accidents or ask for help. This is in addition to the service available at the 1784 call centers and all other channels provided over the holidays.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-31 footer_n.gif

We can hardly say that the article is specific enough.

Does it refer to the whole country? If yes, do we really think that all accidents are reported?

Statistics. As irrelevent as Thais think their laws are.

Thai count people who die in the accidents but they don't count those who die in the next 30 days after the road accident as we do in all europeen countries.

Yesterday I was at the market of my village;

some sellers spoke with me because they saw me on my bicycle the day before;

they told me not to cycle during the week ; cause thai drivers are crazy .

The Mtb is in our garage near the pickup ;I will don't use them as I do since seven years when there are huges transhumances : new years ( occidental and thai );

One exception, I have to pick a friend at the Udon Thani airport to morrow ...

Hope no drunken motocyclist or coach driver would like to crash on my truck

Thais are not good drivers when sober,add drink and

night time driving,I will be keeping off the roads for a

few days,well stocked so really don't need to go out anyway.

regards Worgeordie

Completely agree, we've had plenty of great trips recently and I too stocked up on everything to avoid the craziness... until this morning when I realised I had everything except coffee and had to brave the highway and Tesco

5km round trip + 2 road accidents + excessively poor drivers all round = 45 minutes to buy coffee + 15 minutes to bring heart rate back to normal sad.png

Edited by Tuskfish

Be careful guys if you drink and drive. Avoid the checkpoints, if there are some.

Be careful yes

JUST DON'T DRINK & DRIVE.

Madness, and we on this forum should know better, having discussed this problem umpteen times.

Yes, but people who want drink and drive will drink and drive. Moral apostle will nothing change.

From last year

First of 7 dangerous New Year holidays see 39 killed, 399 injured in road accidents

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/First-of-7-dangerous-New-Year-holidays-see-39-kill-30223158.html

So, it seems, this year it's worse. Why? Because there is no law enforcement out there on the street. These checkpoints which were placed at the same location every time are well known. Only morons would get trapped there.

Look, i just drove on the 3rd Road. There was a lunatic farang on a big bike. He speeding and crashed almost. At the traffic light was a police officer who saw the dangerous situation. What he did? Of course nothing. And this happen all day long. Permanently. Consistent.

So, again; Avoid the hypocritical checkpoints. Drive defensive, with alcohol or without. And wear a helmet.

• Like 2

I came to stay in Thailand in 1997 and in the Xmas/New Year period there were 600-an-odd deaths, about the same as UK for the whole year. Since then Thailand has improved (a little) and the UK has got worse.

ALWAYS wear a helmet, and let's all work towards getting the appalling death-toll down.

Edited by geoffP

Traffic accidents kill 58 New Year travelers
By Digital Content

14200150311109-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 31 -- Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said that yesterday when the government started its New Year road safety campaign, there were 508 accidents in which 58 people were killed and 517 others were injured.

The most common cause of the accidents was drinking which led to 36.61 per cent of the accidents, followed by speed limit violations which were recorded in 23.82 per cent of all accidents.

Besides, 82.41 per cent of vehicles in the accidents are motorcycles.

Mr Arkhom also said that authorities at checkpoints took legal action against 71,168 traffic rule violators, most of whom failed to wear helmets.

The highest number of traffic accidents, 23, was reported in both Surat Thani and Chiang Mai provinces, and both are popular tourist destinations.

The highest death toll, six, was in Buri Ram province, Mr Arkhom said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-31

..................yesterday when the government started its New Year road safety campaign, there were 508 accidents in which 58 people were killed and 517 others were injured.................

Doing his job well, isn't he?

58 killed, 517 injured in first day of the 7-day road safety campaign

12-31-2014-4-59-17-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The "Seven Dangerous Days" campaign to promote road safety during the New Year holiday ended its first day with 58 people killed and 517 others injured.

The accident rate was higher than in the 2013 campaign. But authorities explained it was because in 2013 the start of the campaign was on Dec 27 while this year it began three days after.

Buri Ram province in the Northeast led with highest fatalities of six deaths in one day .

Chiang Mai and Surat Thani recorded the equivalent number of 23 accidents, the highest of all provinces.

Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said on Wednesday that the first day of the Seven Dangerous Days campaign yesterday to promote road safety during the New Year holiday revealed a total of 508 accidents.

He said 58 people were killed and 517 were injured.

He said the data collected by the Road Safety Directing Centre revealed that the main causes of accidents were drunk driving (36.61%) and speeding (23.82%).

Motorcycles remained the vehicles that engaged the highest number of accidents, representing 82.41%.

The most accident-prone time of the day was between 4 pm and 8 pm.

Meanwhile a total of 71,168 motorists were arrested and fined for breaking traffic law, notably riding without crash helmets.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/58-killed-517-injured-first-day-7-day-road-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-31

I came to stay in Thailand in 1997 and in the Xmas/New Year period there were 600-an-odd deaths, about the same as UK for the whole year. Since then Thailand has improved (a little) and the UK has got worse.

ALWAYS wear a helmet, and let's all work towards getting the appalling death-toll down.

UK road deaths have never been as low as 600 per year.

In the late 90's they were at about 3.5k. Last year just under 2000.

Last year a Thai Interior Minister reported that the annual toll on Thai roads is about 26,000 dead.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain

Edited by apetley