Google fights Marriott's plan to block Wi-Fi hotspots

Maestro

I had a bit of a stand off with Asia Hotel in BKK when they wanted me to pay ..It wasn't clear on the website so I said cancel the booking ..They gave in and gave me a wifi voucher ..I've left hotels before when they say wifi not free ..

They can block the hotspot maybe, but they can't stop someone connecting their mobile to their laptop with a usb cable.

That would be the hotspot then wouldn't it? That is what they want to block/

No, they want to block wifi hotspots. They can't stop you tethering with a cable.

They can block the hotspot maybe, but they can't stop someone connecting their mobile to their laptop with a usb cable.

No, they want to block wifi hotspots. They can't stop you tethering with a cable.

Is that not what they mean when they say using your cellphone to create a hotspot???? The tethering avoids that??? So whats their concern?

Is that not what they mean when they say using your cellphone to create a hotspot???? The tethering avoids that??? So whats their concern?

No. It's when you use the phone as a wifi router to retransmit internet signal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

15 January 2015 Last updated at 13:12

Marriott hotels do U-turn over wi-fi hotspot blocks

Hotel group Marriott International has announced it will stop blocking guests from using personal wi-fi kits.
The firm was fined $600,000 (£395,000) last year by a US watchdog after a complaint that it had jammed mobile hotspots at a hotel in Nashville.
Marriott responded at the time saying it wanted to block such devices only in its conference and meeting spaces and believed it had the right to do so.
bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-01-15

Marriott is hopefully going to lose this fight, and rightfully so.

Even tho the hotel is private property, the wifi is public air wave. There is no way they can have control it.

Isn't Marriott connected directly to this strange cult from Utah? My last line maybe against rules sad.png

yes they are a morman run hotel chain --- i used to like staying at marriott hotels until i knew of this now dont !!

Marriott is hopefully going to lose this fight, and rightfully so.

Even tho the hotel is private property, the wifi is public air wave. There is no way they can have control it.

Isn't Marriott connected directly to this strange cult from Utah? My last line maybe against rules sad.png

yes they are a morman run hotel chain --- i used to like staying at marriott hotels until i knew of this now dont !! same as wetbix breakfast food now owned by christian group -- completely changed the taste, who knows whats in it now ?

Sanitarium, the Seventh Day Adventist company who own Weet-Bix have been making it since the thirties... but if you can remember what it used to taste like before then...

yes they are a morman run hotel chain --- i used to like staying at marriott hotels until i knew of this now dont !!

yes they are a morman run hotel chain --- i used to like staying at marriott hotels until i knew of this now dont !! same as wetbix breakfast food now owned by christian group -- completely changed the taste, who knows whats in it now ?

Sanitarium, the Seventh Day Adventist company who own Weet-Bix have been making it since the thirties... but if you can remember what it used to taste like before then...

He remembers when Nana was all fields..