Buying A Car In The Wife's Name

bhatmasterson

She is your wife...???????

You do understand under Thai law, its 50% hers anyway.

What does it matter who's name its in-- if the relationship is a shaky as some of the guys giving advice marriage's must be. Then gosh get everything in your name....get receipts every time she goes down to the 7-11, go through her purse when she's not looking.......in case she's holding out on some money.

Or just have a normal relationship, & stop asking the bitter & twisted TV brigade .

if your marriage falls apart tomorrow, is the foremost question on your mind-----who gets the car.................coffee1.gif

Weeeeeeeeeell, I know a guy who had problems with his wife, she arrived at their house with a band of BiB.......He was told to leave the house and leave the car keys as everything was in her name.

Many moths later stuff was sorted in court...........PUT your new ride in YOUR name......

V8... He has been with the lady 14 years..... he wants to buy a 2nd hand pick up truck.

As you can see by the TV lawyer- 50% of which would be hers anyway.

I am sure you will get lots of "Likes" with these scary tales of wives arriving at the door with a BIB.

If the guy you know....was stupid enough to hand his house, car and all possessions over to some off duty police friend, then honestly..... I really could not comment about the friends you associate with , with out getting my post removed.

The guy was without a ride for about a year because it was in HER name...Thats my point.smile.png

A lot depends on the kind of relationship you have with your wife. I always pay cash for our vehicles but prefer to put them in my wifes name so I dont have to deal with the paperwork. We have been together for 17 years and early on in our relationship I started giving her more and more responsibility as she showed she could handle it. Admittedly it wont work with everyone but I wouldnt want to be with someone I had to watch every minute or didnt trust.

Base your decision on your own situation and not what others say.

Nearly 30 years with mine (American wife), before she took me for all she could.

Canadian pal was 35 years with his (Canadian) wife, then she took him for all she could.

At 17 years, waaaaay too soon to be overly confident.

We met when I was 43, after having lived in Thailand for 20 years, and married when I was 45 so I had waaaaaaaaaay more experience than the typical guy who marries in his twenties. So, yes, I am very confident but I would not begrudge her a couple of cars even if things didn’t work out.

I am not telling people to do things my way, just pointing out that there is usually more than one way to look at things. Some people have had bad experiences, for whatever reason, and expect the worst. I have had nothing but positive experiences so I am a little let pessimistic.

Just a lower down payment. And no harm done, as long as your marriage is rock solid. Even if you break up, in the next few years, you would be better off with money in the bank, than having it in the car...which may disappear, should things go sour.

I put 140,000 down, and let my wife worry about it. I let her do the insurance and driving as well. Then again, I don't ever want to have to negotiate an accident.

• Like 2

Last time I bought a car, the finance wouldn't let us put it in the wife's name. She has no income and they would only give us the loan in my name. It didn't bother me one way or the other but you can imagine how well being told that went down with the other half ..

Well of course your wife couldn't put the car in her name in order to get finance for the car without an income! What was she thinking? Logically if you have an income then your name will be on the car's title because your income is being used as the basis for making the repayments. I don't understand why your wife would be upset or even in any way disadvantaged by this. It's logical, fair and would be the same in every other country. No finance company hands out finance to someone without an income, otherwise they'd all go under.

• Like 1

Bkkjames, i think he means seriously "in order".My Carless Careless chums have been done over my em anyway.thumbsup.gif

No I don't. Seems like people will use any excuse to suggest that we are all married to ex hookers who have a gambling addiction. Except for themselves of course, who are married to university educated hi-so Chinese.

Isn't this topsy-turvy? Why would anyone who is married safely get offended by those comments? No one suggested that you were married to a scheming ex hooker with a gambling addiction. If someone mentions the disturbingly high rate of willfully delinquent partners (putting it kindly), and you are happily not a victim, then aren't you one of the lucky ones? It might be boring to hear about it repeatedly, but isn't it still true that the rate of foreigners here suffering disproportionate losses in relationship breakdowns appears to be disturbingly high? If you are married to somebody you can trust, that's excellent. But if you want the bad news to be screened out, because it doesn't apply to you, then you're trying to have it both ways, I'm afraid. Seems like some people will blithely assert that problems that do not burden them, are just not important problems.

Maybe in your perception. Is it really high?

We met when I was 43, after having lived in Thailand for 20 years, and married when I was 45 so I had waaaaaaaaaay more experience than the typical guy who marries in his twenties. So, yes, I am very confident but I would not begrudge her a couple of cars even if things didnt work out.

I am not telling people to do things my way, just pointing out that there is usually more than one way to look at things. Some people have had bad experiences, for whatever reason, and expect the worst. I have had nothing but positive experiences so I am a little let pessimistic.

And if you had asked me after 27 years of marriage, I would have had nothing but optimism and positive experiences too.

As the investment companies say "Previous profits are no indication of future returns".

Might be easier for your wife to get a loan if it was in her name as she could use the car for collateral, don't know how it would make it easier for you though. It's easy enough for a falang to get car insurance, don't see any advantage of putting the car in your wife's name.

What ever you do...GET IN YOUR NAME ONLY...trust me...your money..your name..OK....protect yourself...dont listen to her friends,they will be "batting" for her....OK

We met when I was 43, after having lived in Thailand for 20 years, and married when I was 45 so I had waaaaaaaaaay more experience than the typical guy who marries in his twenties. So, yes, I am very confident but I would not begrudge her a couple of cars even if things didnt work out.

And if you had asked me after 27 years of marriage, I would have had nothing but optimism and positive experiences too.

As the investment companies say "Previous profits are no indication of future returns".

Your bad experience seems give you license to tell others they will end up like you. My optimism is specific and applies to my situation and I make no claims that others will be as lucky. Others who just happen to be as lucky as I am may, however, take solace in hearing from another happy soul who sees life as not just half-full but as overflowing with great things.

taking advice from you wife's friends. that's going to end well.

Out of 36 comments your was the just about the least helpful. Congratulations! & Happy New Year

why least helpful?

he's correct.

your wife might be fairly honest but the friends sound like they have devious intent.

you make the rules not the skanks.

Why the least helpful?"

Firstly, where in my OP did I say I was seeking or taking advice from my wife's friends? I did not. So the comment was of no value to the discussion.

As for your response, I don't run around with "skanks" and I suggest you start your own thread if you want to talk about the people you choose to associate with.

Have a happy and safe New Year.

• Like 1

What does it matter who's name its in-- if the relationship is as shaky as some of the guys giving this advice marriage's must be. Then gosh get everything in your name....get receipts every time she goes down to the 7-11, go through her purse when she's not looking.......in case she's holding out on some money.

Or just have a normal relationship, & stop asking the bitter & twisted TV brigade .

if your marriage falls apart tomorrow, is the foremost question on your mind-----who gets the car.................coffee1.gif

PS--- PLEASE don't have children.........

Car? Which car?

You mean the one the wife sold right before the divorce started?

• Like 1

My first new car was an Isuzu MU7. I got a car loan from Thai Auto Sales Co. Ltd all by myself without co-signers. Once the car loan was paid off they transferred to the car ownership into my name.

Edited by RBOP

You can go to Motor Vehicle Dept. and get a paper that says the vehicle is yours and only yours when it is paid off. One paper, no copies on file and if you loose, you loose vehicle. Does she have to sign you say, well why wouldn't she I say.

You can go to Motor Vehicle Dept. and get a paper that says the vehicle is yours and only yours when it is paid off. One paper, no copies on file and if you loose, you loose vehicle. Does she have to sign you say, well why wouldn't she I say.

Somehow I doubt that there's a paper worth a whole vehicle. Which paper is that?

Blue / Green books shows the ownership and people were known to loose those. Possible to go and get a new one.

had friend whose g/f decided she wanted him to buy a car and put it in her name. he paid minimal deposit and then min monthly payments on the car. several months later he found she had another guy on the side so he cancelled the insurance and drove the truck into a wall.he left her and also left her with 700,000 baht worth of finance to pay off

. The post I have read here good on your friend like a thai would say som nom ner haha love it

That's as good a story as any for crashing his tuck into a wall, in fact it's rather creative... whistling.gifgiggle.gif Unfortunately, just like any driver testing my race cars limits (even though both times it was not driver error, mechanical in one case and a fluid slicked track in the other) I've tested the strength of the concrete a couple of times and even a glancing blow is no fun and can do you serious harm, I still have after-effects of those wall tests all these many years later, I'd surely NEVER intentionally drive anything into a wall ever for any reason unless I fully intended to harm more then my car.

Edited by WarpSpeed

What does it matter who's name its in-- if the relationship is a shaky as some of the guys giving advice marriage's must be. Then gosh get everything in your name....get receipts every time she goes down to the 7-11, go through her purse when she's not looking.......in case she's holding out on some money.

Weeeeeeeeeell, I know a guy who had problems with his wife, she arrived at their house with a band of BiB.......He was told to leave the house and leave the car keys as everything was in her name.

Many moths later stuff was sorted in court...........PUT your new ride in YOUR name......

Not about owning stuff 50/50.

About her ability to get another loan on the car without telling you.

If the car is in your name she can't do that.

PS

Bottom is falling out of the used car market at the moment, many repossessions.

You can get a nice pickup, second hand for 350-500k.

Registering it in your name (as a foreigner).

500bht for a letter from immigration and a photocopy of your passport.

Not to mention 50/50 is still not 100% which is what it is if it's her name.

I want to correct a few inaccuracies here and remember you will get different responses from different dealerships.

Toyota finance in Pattaya has approved my financing for a new fortuner 4x4 navigation with 50% down. The using my visa exempt status and NO co-signers or anything else required except residence certificate and a copy of my bank statements.

Regards,

Kurt

Bkkjames, i think he means seriously "in order".My Carless Careless chums have been done over my em anyway.thumbsup.gif

No I don't. Seems like people will use any excuse to suggest that we are all married to ex hookers who have a gambling addiction. Except for themselves of course, who are married to university educated hi-so Chinese.

Isn't this topsy-turvy? Why would anyone who is married safely get offended by those comments? No one suggested that you were married to a scheming ex hooker with a gambling addiction. If someone mentions the disturbingly high rate of willfully delinquent partners (putting it kindly), and you are happily not a victim, then aren't you one of the lucky ones? It might be boring to hear about it repeatedly, but isn't it still true that the rate of foreigners here suffering disproportionate losses in relationship breakdowns appears to be disturbingly high? If you are married to somebody you can trust, that's excellent. But if you want the bad news to be screened out, because it doesn't apply to you, then you're trying to have it both ways, I'm afraid. Seems like some people will blithely assert that problems that do not burden them, are just not important problems.

I don't know. I never said it's been proven; I didn't address that issue. But there's nothing wrong with acknowledging indications, especially when details are consistent. Some people confuse evidence and proof, then assert that no proof equates to no evidence, and then, that no evidence equates to disproof. In fact, evidence often exists alongside contradictory proof. If this were not true, we would never need to devise processes to summarise and evaluate evidence.

This social problem is more interesting than just foreigners losing money. Several of the most heinous examples that I know of personally, impacted Thai men, not farang.

I don't know. I never said it's been proven; I didn't address that issue. But there's nothing wrong with acknowledging indications, especially when details are consistent. Some people confuse evidence and proof, then assert that no proof equates to no evidence, and then, that no evidence equates to disproof. In fact, evidence often exists alongside contradictory proof. If this were not true, we would never need to devise processes to summarise and evaluate evidence.

This social problem is more interesting than just foreigners losing money. Several of the most heinous examples that I know of personally, impacted Thai men, not farang.

And some people come to conclusions without proof. Indications are in the eyes of the beholder, especially in this day and age.

I don't subscribe to your feelings, written in such a way to resemble facts, which they are not.

• Like 1

If you can buy a car outright , you can buy it in your name only ; if you need to borrow , then you may need to buy in your wife's name , but pay the monthly installments .

Buying something like a computer or TV by installments can be done showing the wife's ID card , that might be possible for a car too and still be your car .

You need to know your wife well before buying a car in her name . Former bar girls never lose their ruthless money grubbing mentality , better to lease a car and lease a house than buy in their name .

All Thai women are to some extent the same , Love is Money/Money is Love , they only want you for the money you provide . There are a few exceptions , but not many .

They all want you to buy a house , car in their name , once achieved , many kind husbands are kicked out , so be ware , I have met many good men who've been robbed of their all .

It is like gambling , never place on bets more than you can afford to lose , it is the same with Thai women .

• Like 1

Loan or not loan?

You will have a hard time to get a loan without a work permit.

But the rest (registration, insurance) is no reason.

At our Mazda dealer there were whining about "problem registering for farang".

They whined until I left the shop.

They walked after us and now: "boss knows how to".

Took an awful lot of papers/photocopies but in the end I got it done.

It was all just trying to avoid the work.

Insurance: no real problem, just some remark "it has to be sent to Bangkok, takes some days to get the policy".

No idea whats behind.

The above story is from a small upcountry district town.

I am sure that it will be much easier in Bangkok/Pattaya etc.

I fully agree with you, in 2012 I purchased a New Nissan from a dealer and he said it couldn't be in my name, must be in my wife's name but when I refused he said I had to get approval from various agencies etc. which most of was BS. Over the years I have at least learned one thing in life, If you buy something, make sure it's in you name.

Get it in your name no matter what happens.

If a Thai wants to borrow money that much they'll go straight to the pawn shop with the blue book... As simple as.

So this "easier to get a loan" is a load of bull mate.

I told my EX wife I wanted it in my name because it'll make the insurance cheaper...

Well it worked for me anyway ;)

Of course it's easier for her to get a loan,cos he can't get one.Pay cash,your name or don't get one.

Get it in your name no matter what happens.

If a Thai wants to borrow money that much they'll go straight to the pawn shop with the blue book... As simple as.

So this "easier to get a loan" is a load of bull mate.

I told my EX wife I wanted it in my name because it'll make the insurance cheaper...

Well it worked for me anyway wink.png

could happen depending on your spouse I guess. Then again my Mrs isnt an ex whore that gambles.

Now, my mrs didn't come to me and say it would be easier to get the loan if it was in her name, the finance company told us that.

my trucks book stays with the finance company until paid off. It's in her name but I am the guaranter.

A load of bull you say, perhaps if you are putting 35 to 50 percent down min some bank might give a farang a loan. see if you need a a co-signer.

I'd trust a whore over a finance company any day.