We, as a society, need to grow up

Lite Beer

Getting 'competent' or 'talented' people is a load on nonsense. These jobs have no accountability. You can, like Supoj, who was permanent transport secretary, have a billion baht stashed at home in bin bags and have no explanation that, or for your fleet of cars, homes, bank accounts and cash worth billions of baht amassed on a salary of 30,000 a month. He is on inactive duty and is yet to be prosecuted for anything. How can we talk of competence or talent when this goes on?

Thailand has a poor education system because its function is to teach respect for the monarchy and the hierarchy, not to develop critical thinking skills. Until the mission of education is changed dramatically, there will be a dearth of anyone with talent or competence, and these jobs will continue to be filled by nepotism or bribery.

The omens for progressive change in education look ill with the introduction of the 12 values, and the function of Thailand's eduMcation (sic) system will continue to keep people from asking what may be awkward questions of the hierarchy.

Excellent post. I only wish some of the pro yellow suthepistas on here would challenge a statement like the one above, They dont because they cant

• Like 1

Have Europeans play the role of administrators. This was done in Thailand over 100 years ago in ministries governing logging, railways, etc. Working day in day out under European management would lead to much more competent and effective performance by civil servants.

I recall reading about some Greek guy that was a top advisor to the monarchy around the turn of the last century. He got murdered.

EDIT: He was an advisor to King Narai in the 1600's & got executed in 1688.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_Phaulkon

better leave the greeks out, may that why country is like that

Now, with a thrill of anticipation I wait for Costa's replyrolleyes.gif

Speaking of economics in Thailand, here is summary of what the outside world is seeing, thinking, and knowing what the past, current and future prospects may be lurking around the corrne for this nation and its peoples!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/opinion/thailand-and-the-coup-trap.html?_r=1

The interesting part of the article is

"But in a bid to scour the system of Mr. Thaksin’s influence, the generals have been turning their backs on many policies favored by his government, including those that worked."

The policies which are said to have worked and those the generals allegedly turn from seem somewhat disjunct.

Of course the RPPS is also not mentioned.

Never a truer word said, Thai society needs to grow up, the only thing stoping this of course is Thai society itself. coffee1.gif

Thai society needs to grow up, the only thing stoping are: the great leader, martial law, military junta, no elections and multiple coups.....

Have Europeans play the role of administrators. This was done in Thailand over 100 years ago in ministries governing logging, railways, etc. Working day in day out under European management would lead to much more competent and effective performance by civil servants.

Meet me at six on the verandah old chap and we'll have a few gin and tonics and discuss the natives. wai2.gif

Just joking, but Orwell's Burmese days came to mind.wink.png

The best expat/sexpat book ever written. Mr Florey can be seen in foreign bars all over Thailand, drinking his last before he goes home to blow his brains out.

Further to my previous comments, the childish approach extends into TV and adverts and the use of children to promote a message send the message that the children are teaching the adults! The adults dont seem to be teaching much to the kids. When I was at primary school in the UK, I remember the local policeman coming round round to tell us about road safety whether on foot or on the bike, her when I am out on my bike I regularly see kids running straight into the road without looking its a wonder know more are not killed but no one notices.

When children were growing up in the UK it was a fine line between teaching them new things andnot taking their childhood away from them to early, there seems little danger of that here!

I forgot to mention all the childish photo poses as well, I am sure there are more but the upshot of all this is that, I think, up to a certain level in society its ok to carry on being a big kid, when you have to grow up because that is what is required for your life profession, its just no fun any more, why would you want to grow up?

As someone else commented dont expect to see a change in a couple of generations and that is one reason why ASEAN will not be looking to Thailand to lead the group, t will be Singapore. I dont expect anyone to look and learn, it will be more a case of "our time will come soon!" Always next year I am afraid, for a couple of generations ( will that be soon enough?).