Working Hours of Police in Thailand

harryfrompattaya

A regular Thai police officer works 8 hours per day, excluding a 45-minute or maybe 1 hour per day meal break, 5 days per week a 40-hour week. There is no set times, as it is shift work, their times of duty changes each month on a rota system with other police officers. At times of emergencies the police are expected to work when required, in fact they are on 24-hour call. If for example a police officer is on duty and a crime situation arises or is working on a case, the officer cannot pack up and leave if the shift has ended, the officer must remain and see it through. They are also expected to work extra hours to fill in if there is a shortage of officers, sickness, holidays and so on. Therefore is it rare that an officer will ever do only a 40-hour working week, there is usually many more hours involved.

I wonder if they get paid the overtime.

I think now I have answered the OP`s question that there no longer any point in keeping this thread open. The rest of the replies are like bad jokes that keep getting repeated time and time again.

For those who have nothing constructive to add to these threads, why bother participating at all?

But you have to admit, based on the information you left, there are possibilities to draw some logical conclusions.

Thanks Beetlejuice, I will use the information to sit and ponder over some of my own questions about the police and their work.

• Like 1

It's obviously a trick question since the truth is that they DON"T WORK. They simply stand, sit or ride around and let law breakers do whatever they want to do. thumbsup.gif

I so seldom see one I should take a picture to remember what they look like. Its no wonder their uniforms always look so clean accept for the seat of the pants. You have to work to get it dirty.

• Like 2

Policeman comes to my land 2-3 times a week, he often has to do 12 hour days BUT its VERY relaxed, many times he will stay here for more than an hour having a drink , looking at the veggies or fish etc.

Compared to a UK policeman who has NO time at all, every second of their days are full, I told him in England Police really dont have time to do anythng except move on to the next incident.

So Tha Police = long hours but little work by me past Hua Hin

He also has to clean the police station every Wednesday, he's not a lowly cop he's a lieutenant.

His salary 20k a month 18 years in the rtp used to be border patrol for 8 of those years, hes a decent guy.

Here is the crux of the matter, if accurate info a guy at Lieutenant level getting 20 K /month.

OK he may well have known in advance but for most people they need to progressing in life and will not do it on 20K.

I am guessing that this was a step up from border patrol, have seen some of the barracks those fellows are domiciled in and they are not exactly great.

Clearly they need to have a real career pathway and realistic pay structure before the main body of police / army / navy develop an 'esprit de corps'. Most military/ para military groups I have worked in or alongside in the west have this. Most but not all, some eastern countries also have this perhaps in a different form.

Policeman comes to my land 2-3 times a week, he often has to do 12 hour days BUT its VERY relaxed, many times he will stay here for more than an hour having a drink , looking at the veggies or fish etc.

Compared to a UK policeman who has NO time at all, every second of their days are full, I told him in England Police really dont have time to do anythng except move on to the next incident.

He also has to clean the police station every Wednesday, he's not a lowly cop he's a lieutenant.

His salary 20k a month 18 years in the rtp used to be border patrol for 8 of those years, hes a decent guy.

Here is the crux of the matter, if accurate info a guy at Lieutenant level getting 20 K /month.

OK he may well have known in advance but for most people they need to progressing in life and will not do it on 20K.

I am guessing that this was a step up from border patrol, have seen some of the barracks those fellows are domiciled in and they are not exactly great.

Clearly they need to have a real career pathway and realistic pay structure before the main body of police / army / navy develop an 'esprit de corps'. Most military/ para military groups I have worked in or alongside in the west have this. Most but not all, some eastern countries also have this perhaps in a different form.

The RTP are actually treated terribly by the system here. So feel it shouldn't be a surprise when some of them aren't the greatest in return.

I've read that lower ranking officers receive bewtween 6-10k baht per month! Can you imagine? Raise a family on that?

The maids in my building are paid better than that, and they struggle. So, the idea that an RTP officer should receive the same is absurd.

And that's why I felt it was so irresponsible to have simply cut them off from the massage parlor tea funds, without another solution offered.

'Stop corruption' is nice, but without addressing the root problems and just waiting to see what would happen, I felt was an abusive move.

They didn't offer any solution to their not being paid enough to live, at the same time, did they? (Maybe they did and I missed it)

Plus, it seems they have to buy their own uniforms out of that somehow too, and their own equipment. Impossible, really.

Imagine if UK announced today that officers were going to receive 250 quid per month from now on - you'd see riots. And none of you would think it right.

I was really frightened by the reports of shakedowns and things, of course.

But as a person who respects Thailand, I believe the country should address how low they are paid, before constantly insulting them.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

Hmmmm....Hour's of "work"?

Thai police?

lol......

Cannot comprehend!

Just doesn't make sense!

Until some thing very bad happen to you, maybe you will not comprehend.

Many learn lessons of life in disasters and change their previous cocky attitudes to more realistic ways.

It's just a shit salary and simple police man maybe 12k.

I don't wondering why the need teamoney.

A regular Thai police officer works 8 hours per day, excluding a 45-minute or maybe 1 hour per day meal break, 5 days per week a 40-hour week. There is no set times, as it is shift work, their times of duty changes each month on a rota system with other police officers. At times of emergencies the police are expected to work when required, in fact they are on 24-hour call. If for example a police officer is on duty and a crime situation arises or is working on a case, the officer cannot pack up and leave if the shift has ended, the officer must remain and see it through. They are also expected to work extra hours to fill in if there is a shortage of officers, sickness, holidays and so on. Therefore is it rare that an officer will ever do only a 40-hour working week, there is usually many more hours involved.

I wonder if they get paid the overtime.

the overtime payment is the teamoney

• Like 1

Why must people comment without knowing what they are saying?

Police start on 8000 a month then get 1000 extra for every year they are in the force.

The RTP are actually treated terribly by the system here. So feel it shouldn't be a surprise when some of them aren't the greatest in return.

I've read that lower ranking officers receive bewtween 6-10k baht per month! Can you imagine? Raise a family on that?

The maids in my building are paid better than that, and they struggle. So, the idea that an RTP officer should receive the same is absurd.

And that's why I felt it was so irresponsible to have simply cut them off from the massage parlor tea funds, without another solution offered.

'Stop corruption' is nice, but without addressing the root problems and just waiting to see what would happen, I felt was an abusive move.

They didn't offer any solution to their not being paid enough to live, at the same time, did they? (Maybe they did and I missed it)

Plus, it seems they have to buy their own uniforms out of that somehow too, and their own equipment. Impossible, really.

Imagine if UK announced today that officers were going to receive 250 quid per month from now on - you'd see riots. And none of you would think it right.

I was really frightened by the reports of shakedowns and things, of course.

But as a person who respects Thailand, I believe the country should address how low they are paid, before constantly insulting them.

As you said this is a root problem I agree with this, but also and the bigger problem are the greedy corrupt politicians, caused any fish start to stinking on the head first.

Why must people comment without knowing what they are saying?

Police start on 8000 a month then get 1000 extra for every year they are in the force.

OK means 100 years in charge = 108,000 interesting system. whistling.gif

What are the official hours and days a month a Policeman is to work

Somebody told me they supposed to work everyday 12 hours a day

It's morning til evening. The night shift just sleep in the police station behind the counter! At least that's how it was in a nearby province to Bangkok...

We had to wake the lazy bstards up to report something. There was one ranking officer upstairs who was at a desk, he seemed awake at least.

First we gotta ge the definition context of ''work'' in order. If by work we mean efficiency and effectiveness of the coppers, then I say they make 8 hours a year. If by work we mean labour hours, then officially it's around 5 to 10 hours a day, depending on rank.

Edited by Datebayo

I asked him if he wanted to become a Captain and he said no...too much work