Daughter warned that family may commit suicide, mother says

Lite Beer

Daughter warned that family may commit suicide, mother says
Kanoklak Thanarakkittichote
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The former wife of a man who was found dead with four members of his family in a rented house in Bangkok's Thon Buri district on New Year's Eve told police yesterday that her late daughter had asked her for Bt20,000 a month ago.

As the mother was unable to find the money, the teenager reportedly threatened that the entire family would commit suicide, she said.

Her former husband and two children were found hanging in the house, while her mother-in-law and sister-in-law were found dead on the ground floor.

Pol Lt-Colonel Thepwisit Phokengrit, deputy superintendent of Bang Yi Reu Police Sation, said Uraiwan Sermsak, 53 - the former wife of Anant Jarupankit, 64, and mother of Suwantip, 16, and Abhisit, 14 - said she and her husband had split up eight years ago. After the split, she took a job in the Saphan Mai area and began sending Bt900 a week to support the two children, she said.

The grief-stricken woman said her daughter had called her in November asking for Bt20,000 to cover household expenses, but when Uraiwan said she didn't have the money, the teenager responded by saying they would all kill themselves.

The police will also check to see if the girl had been forced by her father to demand the money, or if she had initiated this herself, Thepwisit said.

He also said that about a year ago, Anant had reportedly called his younger brother to ask for Bt20,000 to Bt30,000 to cover his household expenses several times, and when the brother refused, Anant would threaten him with family suicide.

Uraiwan and relatives went to collect the bodies at General Police Hospital for funeral rites at Wat Lak Si.

Thepwisit said police believed the motive might be stress over financial woes and that they had chosen New Year's Eve for the sake of publicity. He said police had yet to identify who added poison to the soft drinks consumed by the family members, and hanged the three. Forensic test results should come out in 15 days.

Pol Colonel Thaprawit Inthachai, Bang Yi Reu superintendent, said police would interview neighbours and look for more leads at the scene. Police found a mobile phone, believed to be owned by Abhisit, in a bedroom on the second floor and some school papers.

Police suspect a family member is behind the deaths as there are no signs of fighting or ransacking.

A police spokesman said officers were waiting for a toxicology report conducted on Anant's mother and sister to see if they were poisoned and if so, what with.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Daughter-warned-that-family-may-commit-suicide-mot-30251126.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-03

• Like 1

Not so happy new year for this family,money =route of all evil.R.I.P

The "love" of money is known as the root of all evil. Many great things can be achieved with money for the less privileged and the sick in all societies if used properly..... R.I.P.

• Like 2

The "love" of money is known as the root of all evil. Many great things can be achieved with money for the less privileged and the sick in all societies if used properly..... R.I.P.

I love making money, and I don't fancy giving it away to others. Call me selfish but i seen how the welfare state works. This is why helping those close to you works better at least you know that there is need and can steer them a bit. Not like in the welfare state where you are robbed by taxes. Those taxes are then spend on cushy jobs for social workers and money is given to those that don't want to work.

I feel sorry for these people the family should have helped them but they probably had their own problems. Personally I do see suicide (for myself) as a way out (think terminal ill... destitute no quality of life). No religion or morals keeping me from it (unless I had kids)

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

I am at loss for words.....

This is so very sad.

R.I.P

How can they rest in peace.This is not what Thai Buddhists believe.

How would you like some religious nut saying something he believes when you die?

Now he is with Allah or similar.

Edited by Johnniey

I love making money, and I don't fancy giving it away to others. Call me selfish but i seen how the welfare state works. This is why helping those close to you works better at least you know that there is need and can steer them a bit. Not like in the welfare state where you are robbed by taxes. Those taxes are then spend on cushy jobs for social workers and money is given to those that don't want to work.

I feel sorry for these people the family should have helped them but they probably had their own problems. Personally I do see suicide (for myself) as a way out (think terminal ill... destitute no quality of life). No religion or morals keeping me from it (unless I had kids)

So you don't think a welfare state would have helped these people?

You don't think that the whole point if a welfare state is to help families like this who have no one to help them?

You don't think that this sort of tragedy can be prevented by a properly functioning welfare state?

Show me a properly functioning welfare state please one that does not tax their citizens that make money too much. Show me a welfare state without abuse of the system.

So you don't think a welfare state would have helped these people?

You don't think that the whole point if a welfare state is to help families like this who have no one to help them?

You don't think that this sort of tragedy can be prevented by a properly functioning welfare state?

Show me a properly functioning welfare state please one that does not tax their citizens that make money too much. Show me a welfare state without abuse of the system.

Show me a society where the rich and wealthy don't abuse the system.

Show me a society where many of those who get rich don't do so at the expense of others.

Show me a society where large corporations don't get to where they are without recourse to corruption/influence/"political contributions".

Yes there may be corruption in welfare states and a use of the system (though nowhere near as bad as the free marketeers would have us believe), but if that is the price we pay to avoid tragedies such as this then so be it.

You do have the right to attempt to become rich, we all do, however with that right comes duties and responsibilities for the successful towards those who are in need of support.

I just don't agree with that statement, a welfare state holds people down too much. There is a reason why the Sovjet Union collapsed because there was no reason to innovate no reason to excel. The moment you are in a welfare state you got a similar system where working is only marginally better as living of welfare (welfare gap).

I feel I have absolutely no responsibilities towards anyone as long as i acquired my money the right way (no I am not that rich). I don't agree that I would have to pay for these tragedies. Why don't you set aside double for me (as you like it and I dont). Thing is I hate wealth distribution its just stealing and those in the lower incomes feel the high tax rates more as the rich.

So lets agree to disagree, i seen the problems with welfare back in the Netherlands and the immigrants it attracts. (and lazy native Dutch)

• Like 1

@Robblok

You said

Me

Show me a society where many of those who get rich don't do so at the expense of others.

Show me a society where large corporations don't get to where they are without recourse to corruption/influence/"political contributions".

Yes there may be corruption in welfare states and abuse of the system (though nowhere near as bad as the free marketeers would have us believe), but if that is the price we pay to avoid tragedies such as this then so be it.

You do have the right to attempt to become rich, we all do, however with that right comes duties and responsibilities for the successful towards those who are in need of support.

Taxes are the price we pay. As it should be.

Don't always agree with you but you show compassion here. A welfare state would, largely, pick this up but there is a 'personal responsibility' element too and it's a finely balanced thing. RIP and a long term solution to a short term problem. Horrific.

• Like 1

@Robblok

You said

I just don't agree with that statement, a welfare state holds people down too much. There is a reason why the Sovjet Union collapsed because there was no reason to innovate no reason to excel. The moment you are in a welfare state you got a similar system where working is only marginally better as living of welfare

I feel I have absolutely no responsibilities towards anyone as long as i acquired my money the right way (no I am not that rich). I don't agree that I would have to pay for these tragedies. Why don't you set aside double for me (as you like it and I dont). Thing is I hate wealth distribution its just stealing and those in the lower incomes feel the high tax rates more as the rich.

So lets agree to disagree, i seen the problems with welfare back in the Netherlands and the immigrants it attracts. (and lazy native Dutch)

Me

And disagree we shall. Especially with your assertion a welfare state holds people down. It does no such thing, the very opposite in truth.

However I will say that the Soviet Union and a welfare state are no more the same thing than the USA form of capitalism and the USSR's state control were the same.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

@Robblok

You said

Me

Yes there may be corruption in welfare states and abuse of the system (though nowhere near as bad as the free marketeers would have us believe), but if that is the price we pay to avoid tragedies such as this then so be it.

Don't always agree with you but you show compassion here. A welfare state would, largely, pick this up but there is a 'personal responsibility' element too and it's a finely balanced thing. RIP and a long term solution to a short term problem. Horrific.

That is the problem with welfare states.. they are not finely balanced. The people paying for it and those receiving are too far apart and so those paying don't feel its used correctly (and they are right loads of fraud). In the old days at the native Americans it did work because the scale of a village was not too big. That is why helping on that scale when there is still connection works and on country level where its all anonymous it works far less.

Not saying that there should not be something but the west style welfare is certainly not a good thing as its abused a lot and all those measures to bridge income gaps kills innovation and personal responsibility.

• Like 1

And disagree we shall.

However I will say that the Soviet Union and a welfare state are no more the same thing than the USA form of capitalism and the USSR's state control were the same.

Its good to be able to disagree without burning things down or going to the streets. biggrin.png

I agree what you said its not the same, I used it as an example. I feel real strong about personal development / building up and taking risks for your own company (i feel then you need to be rewarded not taxed). Investing in your own education and career. Now if you do all those things and later you have to pay 50-60 percent of what you made extra because of those risks and investments back to the state to help lazy sods its a bit unfair.

• Like 2

@Robblok

You said

Me

That is the problem with welfare states.. they are not finely balanced. The people paying for it and those receiving are too far apart and so those paying don't feel its used correctly (and they are right loads of fraud). In the old days at the native Americans it did work because the scale of a village was not too big. That is why helping on that scale when there is still connection works and on country level where its all anonymous it works far less.

Not saying that there should not be something but the west style welfare is certainly not a good thing as its abused a lot and all those measures to bridge income gaps kills innovation and personal responsibility.

It's not an easy thing but I'd rather a less-than-perfect system which helps the disadvantaged poor than none at all and I also agree, and promote, 'personal responsibility' (i.e. don't have kids if you cannot afford them).

• Like 1

@Robblok

You said

Me

It's not an easy thing but I'd rather a less-than-perfect system which helps the disadvantaged poor than none at all and I also agree, and promote, 'personal responsibility' (i.e. don't have kids if you cannot afford them).

I never said I did not want to pay.. or that I don't want an system. Just don't see the advantage of a west style welfare its abused too much. However things like foodbanks and stuff are a good idea.

But as you said hard real hard, I am sure common grounds can be found here as I am certainly not against helping people. Just hard to do that without allowing abuse too. Then the question is how much abuse will you allow to keep the system going.

You are right don't take kids when you cannot afford them, same goes for many things. I just don't like it if the responsible have to pay for the irresponsible. You see that often.. my parents did well for themselves now they loose out on many extras and tax discounts while those who never saved do get those. Its like you get punished for doing things well.

• Like 2

@Robblok

You said

Me

What a strange thing to say. "Don't have kids if you can't afford them"

What if you can afford them then say lose your job?

Associating one of life's wonders with the amount of money you have is ridiculous.

Are you going to train doctors to perform abortions if the mother's bank account is not sufficient?

What a strange thing to say. "Don't have kids if you can't afford them"

What if you can afford them then say lose your job?

Associating one of life's wonders with the amount of money you have is ridiculous.

Are you going to train doctors to perform abortions if the mother's bank account is not sufficient?

Sorry I don't feel its a stupid thing to say, if you can barely get by with the income you and your wife have then its irresponsible to take kids.

If you loose your job its an other thing, and kids are a miracle but that does not mean everyone should have them.

• Like 1

I am saddened by this family's tragic end. I can relate a few stories that may add to the dialog and perhaps shed a bit of light on the Thai thinking of some in this area.

Suicide is a spirit. An evil spirit or in the case of Thailand, an evil ghost. Thais believe this is true but don't fully understand the overwhelming spiritual power they are facing. A Buddhist monk told me this. People will scoff and laugh at this idea but when Thai folks are desperate all it takes is a latent suggestion and a nudge from these evil entities to put the suicidal act into full play.

For example, I have witnessed several suicidal Thai people in our own village. They are generally inconsolable and may be on thier 2nd or even 3rd attempt to commit suicide. The reasons are varied and mostly solvable with a calm head and some time. Nevertheless, these Thai people want to die. They are crazy for death and are out of their minds; they are not acting like themselves. Thai people immediately suspect an evil ghost is the cause of the problem and diligently cart the suicidal relative off to the local temple for the monks to pray over. This I have witnessed personally. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 Thai men to hold the person down in the back of a pickup truck while they drive to the temple. The "possessed" person is held down to keep them from jumping out of the fast moving truck thereby killing themselves.

This I have seen with my own eyes.

Now here is the shocking part. The head monk at our biggest local temple will no longer take on the task of praying for these Thai people who he says are "possessed by evil ghosts." He has tried and failed too many times to exercise them from the inhabited person. But here is the strangely odd rub. This head monk of the Buddhist temple takes the said possessed person, along with the anterage that accompanied him or her, and they all go together to the nearby tiny CHRISTIAN CHURCH!

Here, the head monks turns the patient over to the Thai Christian pastor or one of his family members. Immediately, the Thai Christians lay hands on the possessed person and pray to Jesus completely in Thai. No english is spoken as I and my Thai wife have witnessed this ourselves.

Almost immediately, after prayer, there is a stunning difference in the formerly crazy possessed persons demeanor. They are calm and back to themselves again. Apparently, the evil ghost has left them according to both the pastor as well as the head monk! In fact, these two Thai guys are now good friends. Indeed, the Thai Christian pastor tells all the local monks to please bring anyone that they cannot handle to his little church. He said this for all the surrounding villages to hear that his God Jesus is very powerful and can solve all Thai peoples spiritual problems.

Amazingly enough, the Thai pastor does not recieve money for this service as the Buddhist monks do. In fact, I saw the Thai pastor pray over these cases right out in the dirt parking lot of his church while men are holding the possessed person down in the back of a pickup! Amazing Thailand is all I can really say. And this is why I LOVE living in the Thai village setting. It's never boring.

What's the takeaway from all this? Suicide is an evil ghost that pushes people to do crazy stuff. I've seen it with my own eyes right here in Thailand. There are solutions as shown above. But never underestimate the devils hand in anything evil. That is our 1st mistake. Be safe and shun all evil in 2015. Even the Thai monks agree to this as seeing is believing. Peace!

• Like 1