Deaths, injuries up in first three 'dangerous days' from a year ago

Lite Beer

Deaths, injuries up in first three 'dangerous days' from a year ago
Wattana Khamchu,
Supachai Petchthewee
The Nation

30251118-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- With the New Year break coming to an end in a few days, many holiday-makers started returning to Bangkok yesterday, causing more traffic and prompting the authorities to adjust road-safety measures accordingly.

The Road Safety Centre reported, meanwhile, that 190 people were killed and 1,782 injured in 1,737 road accidents over first three days of the seven-day accident-monitoring period. These figures were higher across the board than the previous New Year, when there were 1,322 accidents which caused 161 deaths and 1,390 injuries over the same period.

Chiang Mai had the highest number of accidents in the first three days at 71, while Phetchabun and Buri Ram had the most fatalities - nine each, and Nakhon Sawan had the most injuries at 75.

No fatalities in 12 provinces

Only 12 provinces have so far reported no fatalities.

On January 1 alone, a total of 604 accidents claimed 60 lives and left 625 others injured, Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin announced on the centre's behalf. Major contributing factors remained drunk driving at 49 per cent and speeding at 24 per cent.

Most accidents involved motorcycles (85 per cent), and most took place on straight stretches of road (64 per cent). About one-quarter occurred between midnight to 4am. Slightly over half of the victims were of working age.

Officials at 2,270 main checkpoints arrested 90,624 people for traffic violations, about 27,300 of whom did not wear a motorcycle helmet and some 26,100 others failed to show a driver's licence, Rajata said.

In related news, deputy national police chief Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen yesterday inspected the project under which holidaymakers list their homes to be monitored by police from December 20 to January 4 while they are away.

He checked out Chokchai Police Station in Bangkok, which has 59 houses in the project, the most in one jurisdiction.

The project, aimed at preventing theft and other crimes, has seen a total of 3,289 houses monitored nationwide.

Some of 1,044 of these were in the capital, with 1,311 in adjacent provinces and 924 upcountry.

Pongsapat said 109 homeowners had already returned while about 3,000 others were still away, so police would continue to patrol until everyone is back by Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Deaths-injuries-up-in-first-three-dangerous-days-f-30251118.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-03

I've driven around a lot in the last few days between the north West and Bangkok. I'd say that driving is "normal' - the main problem is the delays caused by police checkpoints - can anyone please explain what either they think they are doing or are supposed to achieve???????

• Like 1

"Most accidents involved motorcycles (85 per cent), and most took place on straight stretches of road (64 per cent). About one-quarter occurred between midnight to 4am." The solution is easy. Put in a curfew between midnight and 4am for motorcycles and do not allow motorcyclist to consume alcohol....cos drunks can't ride straight.

anyone who thinks there is a simple solution is deluding themselves.

I also think many are unaware of how hard it is to interpret road safety stats.

I've driven around a lot in the last few days between the north West and Bangkok. I'd say that driving is "normal' - the main problem is the delays caused by police checkpoints - can anyone please explain what either they think they are doing or are supposed to achieve???????

Sorry .... no idea. Can speculate: this is how lazy BIB get bribe money easily. Up here in "the boonies" their tactics are dangerous e.g. 2-3 lane highways w/ vehicles going ???? 80 to unlimited speed forced to come to a screeching halt b/c of these blockades. Quite alarming to many safe travelers. Why aren't the "police" out on the roads where much mayhem takes place?

I do not believe the RTP numbers. So ... how many were DUI? Late 2014 they said 7000 were fined for motorbikes on pavements yet every day I see motorbikes using pavements all around the Ratchatewi BTS intersection (city center) with police box and sometimes police standing around. Sorry. I just don't believe.

• Like 2

Sorry .... no idea. Can speculate: this is how lazy BIB get bribe money easily. Up here in "the boonies" their tactics are dangerous e.g. 2-3 lane highways w/ vehicles going ???? 80 to unlimited speed forced to come to a screeching halt b/c of these blockades. Quite alarming to many safe travelers. Why aren't the "police" out on the roads where much mayhem takes place?

A dead motorist is unable to pay a bribe.

• Like 1

Ditto for me in western Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom province just west of Bangkok. Traffic is way down...have not seen one accident...not even a typical minor rear ender that I see frequently thoughout the year due to tailgating. Each year the great, great majority of accidents/injuries/deaths are motorcycles out in the provinces on the province back roads.

Many of these deaths could have been avoided by the Tax Payer funded Police force doing their job.... It really is that simple!

You actually think that more money will make the police better. More money for nurses do not make them better nurses.

Don't think it'll ever get better. Many people just do not have a sense of safety. Just look at all of the vehicles with an open back pickup full, no motorbike helmets, check out building sites.

Little kids driving motorbikes in the dark with no lights to get dad lao khao.

No sense of safety.

It is a hard job for the cops to enforce mainly cause no matter what you try to impose a group of Thai simply won't bother to listen and will still get drunk and go out riding the bike or car. And speeding is in their habit.

Many of these deaths could have been avoided by the Tax Payer funded Police force doing their job.... It really is that simple!

You actually think that more money will make the police better. More money for nurses do not make them better nurses.

Sometimes it pays to read what people post.

I never said anything about more money...

Driving down the 1095 yesterday i had to stop on a hairpin to allow a truck coming up to swing round the corner. It was 10000% obvious we would collide if 1 of us didnt stop. 5 series bmw on bangkok plates behind the truck and with full view of the situation instantly swings round the truck to overtake. He then finds himself bumper to bumper with me on my side of the road....even a bicycle could not have got through trying what he did...... they are just brain dead. He held us up for 10 minutes then as no one behind him would let him reverse back onto his side of the road.

Simply invoking BMW Law.

Driving down the 1095 yesterday i had to stop on a hairpin to allow a truck coming up to swing round the corner. It was 10000% obvious we would collide if 1 of us didnt stop. 5 series bmw on bangkok plates behind the truck and with full view of the situation instantly swings round the truck to overtake. He then finds himself bumper to bumper with me on my side of the road....even a bicycle could not have got through trying what he did...... they are just brain dead. He held us up for 10 minutes then as no one behind him would let him reverse back onto his side of the road.

Agree,the idiocy of the overtaking beggars belief,have lost count the number of times i have indicated to turn,only to be overtaken,i expect it now,but the first few times shook me up a bit.

Where's that Khao Yai elephant when you need him?

• Like 1

Education is the Key! The majority of Government Secondary schools here in Thailand promote their students to Break the Law.

The governors, Thai teachers etc. allow the students to come to school on their motorbikes without wearing helmets,no licenses and allow them into the school grounds, sometimes 3-4 persons on one bike. Surely this is root of the problem, and could be easily addressed. I've always said "Life is very cheap in Thailand".

Koodos to the Thai police for beefing up the force during holidays and forcing over 1000 civilians to monitor traffic because if they hadn't taken these new, extreme measures, no one in Thailand would be alive today !

You mean a lot of Thai drivers would have been killed, that would be bad right ?