Help! Where to buy bigger, better PCX tyres

Robstar

Hi everyone,

I am having absolutely no luck in finding a retailer/supplier in Nakhon Ratchasima able to help me source a set of Michelin City Grip tyres for my 2013 Honda PCX.

The closest I got was a local so-called modification expert shop able to get me Pirelli Diablo 14' for scooters in 110/90-14 for front and 120/90-14 rear however the sizes they promised me apparently aren't even made according to Pirelli who so far have been the only people kind enough to reply to any enquiries I have sent out!!

I have tried contacting Michelin Asia bit they have not replied to my email enquiries, I have given up on any hope of sourcing locally, so can anyone actually give me details of who can supply these scooter tyres for me anywhere in Thailand?

I'm looking at 100/90 - 14 for front (If that size is made) and 120/90 - 14 for rear. If this size is not available then perhaps 100/70 - 14 front and 120/70 - 14 rear

Any contact, web, anything in terms of where would be greatly appreciated thank you as I'm quickly losing the will to live facepalm.gif

Edited by Robstar

You might squeeze a 100 tire on the front - fender mounting may just clear.

120 rear will hit the plastic rain deflector in front of the tire, and the brake cable will need to be repositioned.

Why do you feel you must go wider ?

The standard size tyres on a PCX can't be out ridden. The frame and suspension (if they can be called that) are well below the standard necessary to out perform the tyres.

If anybody has dreams of scraping a knee or cornering any better on a PCX because they fitted over size tyres, it ain't gonna happen.

I have read various (too many) pages regarding the bigger tyres providing better handling, rain wet grip and better at absorbing the bumps and pot holes which appeals, and the sizes have been no issue in fitting to a 2013 PCX, only when going up to a 140 rear have I read any possible scraping issues.

I just wish to try slightly larger for these reasons, not for any other purpose and reading reviews the grip factor on both of these tyre makes sound very good and it's time, based on the state of my rear tyre now, to change. I will try pandarider now thanks Rhys and let you know if any joy

Update: No, nothing on there for tyres sadly :-/

Edited by Robstar

For increased grip in the rain, all other things being equal, a more narrow tire will grip better. Just like on loose surfaces like gravel. A wide tire tends to ride 'up' on the gravel, where a narrow tire will tend to slice thru. Same applies to rain - term is called hydro planing.

If the wider tire has deeper sipes, or more of them, or is a rain-specific compound, then it will grip better.

A wider, taller aspect ratio tire will absorb bumps better, but on a bike like a PCX, and the sizes available, whether this will be much of an asset is debatable.

Valid points Seedy, I don't have a great knwoledge of tyres, sounds like you do and appreciated. The rain issue here is key, the stock Honda tyres I have had since new are basically not up for it when the monsoons hit or even when slightly wet with the remaining tread, I have just found these if you have any knowledge? They are regarded well in the rain from reading.

Michelin Pilot Street 100/80-14 and 110/80-14 thinking front and rears, just slightly larger than stick on my bike at present, have sent a message to a company called 29Tyre here in Thailand but again, whether they reply..... cost is 2,050bt excluding shipping which will probably come in around 500bt I would guess

I'm over 90kg I also thought slightly larger boots would feel/ride slightly better? Not sure, just my thoughts, quoted 3,500bt for the Diablos but as stated, wrong non-existing sizes according to Pirelli, just want a little bit bigger

I'm planning on changing my PCX tyres to Pirelli. Has anybody done this and is it recommended?

(Sorry for the thread hijack OP)

From Pirelli here in Thailand just yesterday:

Hi We have Diablo Scooter for your PCX

90/90 - 14 M/C TL 46P DSCOTF ยางหน้า PCX 1,450 baht

100/90 - 14 M/C REINF TL 57P ยางหลัง PCX 2,000

baht

Prices Excluding Shipping. We can send to you via EMS

I'm planning on changing my PCX tyres to Pirelli. Has anybody done this and is it recommended?

baht

The other size they offer is 120/70-14 front and 140-/70 -14 rear they say but they sound very large compared to stcok 90/s and 100's, not what I want

I usually buy new tires around Songkran. Done a few thousand km by then, and don't run bike tires much below 50%.

Somebody will buy the used ones - give me enuf $$$ for a free meal at Dukes if I'm lucky.

Where are you ? Pekky here in CNX can get Pirelli's, and will mount and balance too.

Never run Michelin's

Michelin Pilot Street are it for wet conditions.
I run them on 3 of my bikes.
Good logevity too.
Silicon compounded into the rubber.
Brilliant really.
Try at a car tire dealership selling Mich. to order.
Edited by papa al

Up in Isaan, Nakhon Ratchasima, tried car tyre dealers such as Cockpit and even Michelin, got the standard Thai answer 'Not have' no offer of help to order or anything else sadly, Can I ask if you can put different sizes in terms of height on the bike? Lets say on the front 110/80 andon the rear 120/70 ? Sorry f showing my ignorance

Edited by Robstar

Michelin Pilot Street are it for wet conditions.
I run them on 3 of my bikes.
Good logevity too.
Silicon compounded into the rubber.
Brilliant really.
Try at a car tire dealership selling Mich. to order.

Thanks Papa - good to know.

Will try a set next time I buy.

Put them on my PCX over a year ago and the best move I could make, you will feel the difference on the first curve. I had ridden from CM to Surin and they were recommended by a young Thai kid who could not get over the fact I had ridden all that way. I got them from my Honda dealer who at first said they could not be had and I explained yes they were as I had seen a pair on a PCX. Got a call in a few days and they had the tires.

baht

The other size they offer is 120/70-14 front and 140-/70 -14 rear they say but they sound very large compared to stcok 90/s and 100's, not what I want

These are great tires for the PCX I have had a pair on my PCX and I love them. I am a big guy as well just run with a bit more pressure in the tires.

Put them on my PCX over a year ago and the best move I could make, you will feel the difference on the first curve. I had ridden from CM to Surin and they were recommended by a young Thai kid who could not get over the fact I had ridden all that way. I got them from my Honda dealer who at first said they could not be had and I explained yes they were as I had seen a pair on a PCX. Got a call in a few days and they had the tires.

What sizes were you guys running with the Pirelli's then? If bigger did they fit ok or any modifications required? Thanks

Just buy the standard size get over your obcession about a bigger tire being better. In this case the Pirrelias tires are light years ahead of the tires that came on the PCX

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to replace my stock PCX tyres with Pirelli's. I'm not after bigger tyres, just the same size as I've got now.

Does anybody know where I can buy said tyres in Pattaya and have them fitted?

Don't know if they stock them in Pattaya but you can call Showpow Pirelli in Bangkok and they will send them to you. You can then just take it to any bike tyre shope to get it fitted.

I ran the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tyres on a PCX - awesome tyre, plenty of grip and you could chuck the thing around like a lunatic wink.png

Run standard size, you don't need to go up, will <deleted> up handling etc.

I am sure Pirelli at On Nut, the main distributor will tell you where you can buy in Pattaya, or they can send them to you.

Edited by English_M_in_Bkk

How much did they cost u English_M? I am about to visit one shop near me here in Bkk. They seem to have alot stocked from their FB hehe. About the grip of the stocks they slid on the side two times with harder braking.Just straight for a fall. Did it happen to anybody?