Critical Reminder - Please Read and Absorb - We All Do This

bowerboy

It happens in NZ also.

There's also a developing trend whereby drunk people are walking home on country roads and either falling asleep in the middle of the road or walking along the white line in the dark. Guess what happens next.......

• Like 1

RIP, could happen to anyone anywhere in Thailand.

Anywhere. My Sis in Law (Thai) stepped off the footpath to avoid a pothole on Phillip Island after seeing Kasey Stoner win one of his Moto GP's. Clipped by a wing mirror on a car. Badly shattered elbow and forearm. Off work 6 months and has a permanent disability. But better off than the bloke on Nana. Very dangerous inddeed.

• Like 1

Many of these tourist bus drivers always seem to be in a rush , zooming down small Sois in the massive Euro buses....

one thing I can bet , if you measured how wide the bus is including the mirrors it is oversize , somehow that extra foot of mirror on both sides does not count :( , and that is not just in Thailand.....

Traffic in Thailand is a speed fest , I am amazed there is not more of this with racing motorbikes , TuKTuks and Taxis trying to squeeze in where there really is no space, it is not just the tourists in danger

But thanks for posting this , I thought the same thing when I read the news , how many times it could have been me ?

• Like 1

I always walk in street not because the sidewalks are crowded with people but because of the countless obstructions including trees, signs, garbage cans, restaurants, etc. I do walk opposite the way traffic is supposed to go, mostly motorbikes and an occasional car coming the wrong.

• Like 1

Well how many (tall) people will get severe headinjuries from walking on the pavement? I have to watch up and down allll the time on the Thai pavement.

Then there are broken electric cables on the floor, loads of holes, streetvendors who make it very narrow, beggars, soi dogs, and so on.

It's a big shame that in a metropolitan city as bangkok the pavements are in this condition. Especially the streetvendors don't give a dime about pedestrians and should all be removed.

• Like 1

Clear the pavements of vendors enough to allow pedestrians enough room to walk safely. Don't need vendors on two sides of the pavement leaving 1.5 to 2 meters of space for pedestrians.

Put speed bumps at the left turn Zebra Crossings.

Inexpensive way to save lives/injury and improve the quality of the city.

I read and I hear. But I can't walk facing the traffic on a one-way street. Secondly one is often obliged to walk on the street, because the footpath is taken up with cars or an array of motor bikes and there is literally hardly an inch to pass.

• Like 1

Yup, here in Pattaya I'm guilty as charged....most of the time forced to walk in the street because all of the food carts and morter bikes are using the footpath......?

When in BKK, walking on the Sukhumvit between Spi 4 and Soi 19. Is almost a right of passage what with all the vendors and people plugging up the footpaths....?

• Like 2

Yup, here in Pattaya I'm guilty as charged....most of the time forced to walk in the street because all of the food carts and morter bikes are using the footpath......?

When in BKK, walking on the Sukhumvit between Spi 4 and Soi 19. Is almost a right of passage what with all the vendors and people plugging up the footpaths....?

Just a side bar....in my 8+ years living in LOS, I've managed to get hit three times by motor bikes and once by a truck....take a licking and keep on ticking....lol ?

• Like 1

I'm always conscious of pedestrians when driving the truck in Patts, but in Pattaya South 2nd Road there are certain nationals of a non European nation that seem to take pride in walking 3 or 4 abreast on the road. I've seen a few get knobbled by scooters and I've clipped a few on my scooter with the wing mirrors.

I've had to stop in the truck to let the pratts go through. They seem totally oblivious to the car horn.

• Like 2

Just a side bar....in my 8+ years living in LOS, I've managed to get hit three times by motor bikes and once by a truck....take a licking and keep on ticking....lol ?

I would suggest a trip to the opticians, or less time in the pub. With that record, you are a bit careless, or have a death wish.coffee1.gif

I always walk in street not because the sidewalks are crowded with people but because of the countless obstructions including trees, signs, garbage cans, restaurants, etc. I do walk opposite the way traffic is supposed to go, mostly motorbikes and an occasional car coming the wrong.

in the near future peeps will write. ... yea, da dumb ass always walked in da street RIP. :-)

Even when the pavemts are clear the awnings render them useless to all except dwarfs.

Quite agree, and how amny times have we almost fallen over an unseen step while dodging an overhead awning? Life's full of surprises.rolleyes.gif