Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015

Lite Beer

Lot's of complaining and thumbs up but as the baht continues to fall against the dollar I still love it here. For all the people complaining, unless you are posting from a jail cell, no one is stopping you from leaving.

I know these are alternatives to our western home lands, raises a question though what have our homelands become?

All our manufacturing done in developing nations, IT support and many other customer support comes from, we spend our holidays in these developing nations now we are retiring in these countries!

The National News Bureau of Thailand...yeah!

They don't take into consideration that every new governement messes around with existing visa conditions or at least doesn't give you a big sense of safety, making you wonder if you should move your assets here, buy real estate etc.

OMG So many knockers in Thailand yet you choose to live there. Almost every item on Thaivisa gets so many knockers.

There are 196 countries in the whole world. Coming 10th is not a bad score at all.

Over the years I have ben to many places worldwide and nowhere else have I been so readily accepted by the majority of people.

Thailand deserves the nickname "The Land of Smiles" for just everywhere you do smiling Thais are around.

The closest I came to that in Asia was Cagayan D'Oro in the Philippines but nowhere else in my travels

If you do not like the hospitality and the people you have chosen to live amongst then for god's sake leave!!!

Thailand is far from Perfect, but for us it provides a reasonable place to live, decent Health Care, Good Food, Safety, and a Hub for us to travel to other countries. We are in our 60's own our condo, have a nice car, just trying to lay low with the politics and enjoy life. It works for us.

Well stated guys, Yeah, if you don't like it here.....please stop the constant Thai bashing & GET OUT !!!

Well the topic is about RETIREMENT, not living in those countries. And not all of the knockers are retired or single, so some of us have family commitments and can not simple pack up an leave immeditately.

I really question that if people had money very few would chose to retire in a 3rd world country. Maybe those with family connections might perhaps. Maybe those interested in the prostitution industry might also.

You seem not to understand the concept of questioning the results of this survey which is not the same as knocking. Like I said before Thailand has many good points, but I question the scoring particularly about "Entertainment".

And no one is telling you where to live, so please quit advising other people where to live as well.

• Like 1

Retirement in Thailand, no thanks. There are many much better places around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Morocco) and specially in Europe: France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Hungary. All these places offer much more then Thailand can ever offer, from food to culture and entertainment. And easy to get resident permit too. The ranking of the magazine mentioned here is just absolute rubbish.

cheesy.gif Are you joking?

"Thailand received full score on entertainment and amenity," ---

Thailand gets next to no international shows, has no major sporting events (Takraw doesn't count), hardly any non-thai musicians who aren't a decade past their peak come to play here, has no worthy musuems or libraries or art galleries, fewer recreational venues than other countries..... yet it still gets full score?

I guess if your definition of "entertainment" is limited to shopping, drinkiing in bars and hiring prostitutes.

Sure there is worse places to live, but seriously maybe some "expats" could enlighten me what constitutes entertainment for old folk in Thailand? Sitting in traffic? Evening Aerobics in the Big C parking lot?

This has always been a major downside of Thailand, the lack of artistic and intellectual stimulation. It's a non-thinking culture orientated towards sanuk, which is fine a lot of the time and the reason so many people come here, but for long-term residents with -- how to put it? -- a good dose of brains, there are problems.

Remedies? Largely electronic: YouTube, which is now a mammoth cultural resource. Books from Abebooks, Amazon, etc. DVDs from certain outlets in Bangkok, e.g. one shop in Fortune Town. Some of the Truevisions channels (if you can stomach the interruptions).

"The key factors that put Thailand on this position is the low healthcare cost which is high in quality..."

Oh, they must have gotten their information about health care from the government hospitals, certainly not the private ones which are rapidly approaching the cost of health care in the western world.

"...the nation's friendly attitude of locals toward retired expats,..."

This one gave me a laugh. It's a huge over-statement of the truth. We all know a lot of locals in high tourists areas are often unfriendly. If you haven't experienced it then you are darn lucky. And many locals ARE friendly, but you just can't say they all are friendly in a statement such as above. Out in the rural areas they are friendlier, but many Thai harbor a lot of resentment towards us falang.

• Like 1

Not everyone is looking for a "Value for money" retirement option, but for those that are, I can see why Thailand ranks in the top few percent.

If you've got serious money, buy your own island... they're cheaper than some people imagine and then you can complain about all the same things but only have yourself to blame!

To all those who can only say, "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?" You fail to take into account that many of us sold our homes and cashed out to come here, chasing what we thought was the dream of a "golden retirement". When the reality turned out differently, it was too late to just pack up and leave. So unless you're willing to finance the move, quit saying that.

Like everywhere, Thailand has it's pros and cons. The major pro is the cost of living. But these "best places" lists and the TAT paint an inaccurate picture by showing an aging couple joyously romping on a pristine beach, with tropical cocktails in their hands, and smiling natives all around. It just ain't like that if you don't have trunks full of money. And if you do have the money, you can make anywhere into paradise.

Edited by curtklay
  • Like 1

I agree that Spain, Portugal, and may be Malta can be wonderful places to retire...but Thailand beat any of the others on the list...and without doubts it is more afordable than all them.

Edited by umbanda

Unbelievable how many grumpy people in this topic, yet still live in Thailand.

I don't go to bars, don't care to own land, don't need to go museums, don't need big shows, don't care to watch sports events, and don't need to exercise in Big C parking lots.

What I am looking for is people smiling around me, good weather all year round, long walks on the beach or in forests, reasonably priced fresh food, and a non-nonsense retirement visa.

What else are these grumpy poster expecting?

Less is best, small is beautiful, that is the source of happiness.

Thailand is paradise.

Ok, we get it. You're retired and love living in thailand. But other countries have beaches and forests. When I eventually retire I want something more to do than looking at "people smiling around me" everyday (must be good drugs at your retirement home?)......that is not being anti-Thailand. I'd expect anyone without dementia would probably want something extra to do also.

I lived and worked here, yet choose to take family vacations in other countries. Why? Because they offer much more interesting things to do than Thailand. That is my opinion and I don't expect everyone to have the same. But it is the reason I asked : What is it that retired people in thailand considered entertainment? Because I'm curious, not grumpy.

But if it gives you a feeling of self satisfaction then yes when I eventually have no ties to the country I will leave.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

I agree, Thailand is a great country to retire, providing that is, everything continues to run smoothly.

Get problems and then living in Thailand becomes another story because there is literally no support for retirees here whatsoever. As ex-pat retirees we are entitled to nothing including virtually having no statutory rights. I don`t agree about the cheap health care. Medical is cheap for the treatment of minor illnesses and injuries, but if we succumb to serious health issues, maybe require surgery or suffer a serious accident or long term illnesses, than medical could cost a large fortune. Also once over 60 years old, insurance coverage would not be viable for those on budgets plus many insurers won`t even entertain those who they consider as the elderly.

Moving and retiring to Thailand is not all wine and roses as many are lead to believe. Staying here is on a fine balance, because in Thailand, fall down and there is no one to pull you back up, because we are actually not here as retirees but as 50 year old and over glorified tourists, where the goal posts can be moved at any time and can be told to get out on a moments notice.

I totally agree with you on medical and health care. A friend of mine went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for a virus he had contacted, 6 days and $ 12,000.00 later, ain't cheap and try to get anything if you are over 65, no hoping hell. I had a hernia operation done in 2009 at Queen Sirikit Hospital just outside Pattaya, it cost me 14,500 Baht for 3 days, 2 nights at the hospital which included a private room with tv, a balcony and 6 meals a day as my girlfriend stayed with me the whole time. In Bangkok Pattaya hospital, it was 100,000 Bahts for 2 days and one night. Yes, if you have minor problem, it is cheap to go to some clinics, ect. You nailed it right on the head Beetlejuice.

• Like 2

OMG So many knockers in Thailand yet you choose to live there. Almost every item on Thaivisa gets so many knockers.

There are 196 countries in the whole world. Coming 10th is not a bad score at all.

Over the years I have ben to many places worldwide and nowhere else have I been so readily accepted by the majority of people.

Thailand deserves the nickname "The Land of Smiles" for just everywhere you do smiling Thais are around.

The closest I came to that in Asia was Cagayan D'Oro in the Philippines but nowhere else in my travels

If you do not like the hospitality and the people you have chosen to live amongst then for god's sake leave!!!

I only leave here 6 months a year as I married a Thai lady and 6 months back home to keep my sanity.

Never ceases to amaze me that all these negative comments are no doubt in the main from people who chose to live here, and continue to live here. Why is there not a mass exodus over the border to Malaysia who are ranked 4th or over to South America? I was not aware the Thai government were forcing people to stay here against their will. If you find things so bad here for God's sake go! I retired here 11 years ago after looking at the positives and the negatives and have no desire to move elsewhere. Shangri La does not exist anywhere and every country has pluses and minuses. You choose to live here, you accept the good and the bad. If you can't accept the bad then should not be here.

The moaners and haters, have erection problemscheesy.gif

• Like 1

Never ceases to amaze me that all these negative comments are no doubt in the main from people who chose to live here, and continue to live here. Why is there not a mass exodus over the border to Malaysia who are ranked 4th or over to South America? I was not aware the Thai government were forcing people to stay here against their will. If you find things so bad here for God's sake go! I retired here 11 years ago after looking at the positives and the negatives and have no desire to move elsewhere. Shangri La does not exist anywhere and every country has pluses and minuses. You choose to live here, you accept the good and the bad. If you can't accept the bad then should not be here.

I don't think Malaysia has any "Happy Ending Massage Parlors" do they? LOL

Probably too obvious to mention, but regardless of lists, visiting places is a must. Personal tastes and priorities are very subjective. I knew very quickly that Costa Rica and the Dominican Republican were off my OWN retirement list soon after landing. Some places charm but aren't practical when you look at the facts. For example, I like Puerto Vallarta, Mexico but the expense and visa issues rule it out.

Thailand, on the other hand, I had a hunch Thailand was going to be "special" for me even before my first trip.

Edited by Jingthing

After years of travel, living abroad and tons of current research I can unequivocally state (to my own satisfaction) that there is no "Best Place to Retire." One's wealth is a major determinant (You can "buy into" some highly desirable countries.), along with age, health and preferred lifestyle. So-called surveys always leave out critical factors such as miserable weather, or political instability, or unaffordable insurance requirements, or realistic living costs, or (yes) meaningful crime stats and drug issues, or immigrant-unfriendly laws, or diseased economies (inflation...), or parasitic tax structures, or.... Travel and lifestyle mags, and various other media, have a vested interest in painting rosy pictures, so they do - and contrary facts be damned.

• Like 1

And a retirement visa is issued so easily?

Retire here, but never own the land you have built property on?

Get an immigration stamp that ascertains you have a Thai wife, and you have indeed retired here?

Retired? I'm sure this OP must refer to Myanmar persons , and the likes, surely?

I'd like to know, in direct pertination to this; how many farang have been issued Thai residency in 2014?

I solve that matter by simply not paying for land and house I can't own.

But I will provide the Missus her own house with full awareness of all it entails.

Thailand is fine but it certainly is no panacea.

Edited by watcharacters

After years of travel, living abroad and tons of current research I can unequivocally state (to my own satisfaction) that there is no "Best Place to Retire." One's wealth is a major determinant (You can "buy into" some highly desirable countries.), along with age, health and preferred lifestyle. So-called surveys always leave out critical factors such as miserable weather, or political instability, or unaffordable insurance requirements, or realistic living costs, or (yes) meaningful crime stats and drug issues, or immigrant-unfriendly laws, or diseased economies (inflation...), or parasitic tax structures, or.... Travel and lifestyle mags, and various other media, have a vested interest in painting rosy pictures, so they do - and contrary facts be damned.

Sure thing, but they can be one place to look at while considering all the options. Hopefully retired people are old enough and wise enough to be able to sift through marketing literature, get the facts, and make their own major life decisions.

I was in Panama checking it out a couple of months ago. I couldn't wait to leave. Every home needs a barb wire parameter. It's ridiculously hot (and I live in LOS). The food sucks and I've never seen so many ugly fat women! This place continues to get on these list with marketing (probably paying to be on there). Note that articles praising Panama are usually written by people living there and trying to sell the overbuilt condos.

Mexico? Ye gods. I wouldn't want to visit there let alone live there.

Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law with the Muslim hardliners demanding and getting more say as time goes on.

Medellin Colombia was a beautiful city and I could definitely live there...if I spoke Spanish. A lot easier to navigate Thailand than Colombia with just English.

Take these best place to retire results with a grain of salt. These articles come out every few weeks.

Good post. Thanks