Phuket Too Dangerous?

NCC1701A

"If you do nothing wrong then the police are out of play." - I was thinking along the lines of a Thai crashing into a farang - and it being the farang's fault.

Yeah, yeah - same old argument - it's never happened to me, so how would I know, but I am quite sure it's not an urban myth, and it has happened to some unfortunate people.

So, if a Thai crashes into you, and he badly injures himself, or dies - you are in a vulnerable position to be extorted. Let's leave it at that.

As for the Russian mafia - I agree in some respects, and disagree in others. In relation to violence perpetrated upon a tourist or expat, by Russian mafia, in general, they pose little threat, but in relation to ATM skimming, money laundering, scams and frauds - I am sure they are into it here, and one may become a victim on these non violent crimes.

As for the Thai mafia - well, we are all paying for them, whether it be through the cost of "tea money" being passed onto the consumer, or collusion to set high rents here - which is also passed onto the consumer etc etc - we are all indirectly paying the price of corruption here.

As for young Thai guys that form their own small "crews" that are on ya bah and ice - they are definately a concern, and in my opinion, pose a considerable threat to the safety of locals, tourists, and expats, in the future. Their need for funds to support their recreational habits, or addiction, will increase, considerably, and so will the violence of their crimes.

As for the taxi and tuk-tuks - once again, collusion, and protection of their monopoly, through violence and blockades, basically meets the definition of the word "mafia." They are the reason so many die on the roads here, and why Phuket does not have similar transport options, and prices, to other similar tourist desinations in Thailand. On that basis, they have some power and control over transport, which is an essential service, on Phuket.

So, that leaves the Chinese coughing in public. Most of their coughing is from smoking. In any case, I keep some Tamiflu on hand, and if I come across one with body odour - I move.

I would much rather an interaction with a Chinese cougher, than any of the others above. biggrin.png

Is this specific to Phuket? **So, if a Thai crashes into you, and he badly injures himself, or dies - you are in a vulnerable position to be extorted. Let's leave it at that.**

Is this a danger in Phuket traffic? **As for the Russian mafia ________ in relation to ATM skimming, money laundering, scams and frauds**

Is this specific to Phuket? **we are all indirectly paying the price of corruption here **

Is this specific to Phuket? **As for young Thai guys that form their own small "crews" that are on ya bah and ice**

I NEVER thought I would defend and tuk tuk driver in Phuket, but I have to now **As for the taxi and tuk-tuks _____ They are the reason so many die on the roads here.**

SIMPLY NOT TRUE, In fact it's very rare for them to be involved in any accident, it happens but it seems they are driving better and better for each year. (better = not involved in accidents)

Don't comment on the chinese bashing, don't recognize the description of them. Yeah, sure a few of them, but not the majority.

To comment on if Phuket is safe to go with a MC, absolutely not but there's no difference from the rest of Thailand, like so many other have said, use helmet, keep you DL with you, drive safe, not too fast or too slow, follow the traffic rhythm, yeah I know, sounds like there is one and it does, go, stop, wait, go, stop, wait, go, stop, wait, almost always in that order.

It's not specific to Phuket, but the OP's post asked about Phuket, so, he was told it can happen here as well.

The OP also asked about the presence of Police, Thai and Russian mafias - so I also commented. Read again, you will see I stated, in general, the Russian mafia pose no threat of violence, police may extort you if involved in an accident - even if it's not your fault, and young Thai guys may kick you off your bike and road you. Sure, this could happen anywhere in Thailland, but IT IS SPECIFIC to the coast road, on Phuket, late at night.

I posted why the lack of transport options here makes the roads more dangerous, particularly at night, maybe you missed it, read again - I never commented on the driving skills, or lack thereof, tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

I never "bashed" the Chinese - another member did.

By the way - how do you get home after a night out drinking????

When I have an evening out, I drive, like everyone else I know, but it doesn't mean I will be in an accident.

I drive very carefully all the time but if I'm intoxicated, I drive even slower.

The threat at night was true a couple of years ago and it might happen every now and then, but it's not a regular thing.

But responsible as I try to be, I don't get very drunk the few times I go out, it sort of lost its appeal nowadays.

I do think you exaggerated a lot though, if a person is aggressive in traffic as well as when in contact with another person, wherever you are in the world, bad things happens a lot more than if you have a calm and tranquil personality.

I still think you commented outside topic.

Edited by KamalaRider

I live here in Phuket since more than 8 years now and I get stopped in check points now and then, maybe 10-15 times during my years here and had to pay 300THB once for not wearing helmet, that's it.

Never had any problem with any russian in traffic, in fact never had any problem with russians at any point in time. Have no clue where the Russian mafias are located.

Have had some altercations with the Thai mafia on a few occasions, they've had opinions about where I parked my car, motorbike and my MC, but that's concentrated to the west coast only, Kata, Karon and Patong.

The roads are mostly good to very good but there are sections along the coast where they definitively could be improved but mostly it's a dream to drive around along the coast.

Beautiful scenery, nice serpentine roads to swerve through, less traffic on the west coast compared to the east side of Phuket, which is flat anyway.

Just drive as you usually do everywhere in Thailand, expect everything and anything, u-turns on the steep hill roads between Kathu and Patong, between Chalong and Kata, 2 lane roads connecting the east to the west.

And most importantly, DON'T use your bikes front brake in curves, could be a lot of dust or sand in them, sometimes difficult too see.

Apart from that, I think Phuket is one of the most beautiful places for driving a bike, from Naithon beach in the north all the way down to Rawai, following the east coast, simply gorgeous driving.

Patong is the only one you can't go beach road if you go from north to south, reverse the direction and you will be able to cruise Patong beach road too, but it might not be a pleasant drive, depending on the traffic, go early, no traffic.

Kamala doesn't have much of a beach road, nor does Surin, Bang Tao or Chern Thaley (Laguna).

Please try to stay on topic.

The OP stated he is an experienced rider in Thailand.

He didn't ask for advice on how to ride a motorbike.

:)

To amKangMan,

I forgot to reply on the tuk tuks, maybe I'm splitting hair here but it's not the tuk tuks that are causing accidents here in Phuket but their mafia organisation is when they force tourists, with extortionate prices for transports, to rent a bike to go around the island.

It's slowly getting better, but the information for tourists that there are route buses going between the villages and Phuket town is non existent.

True they stop going in the evening, but using them could spare many accidents, if the information could be spread to tourists.

Edited by KamalaRider

"If you do nothing wrong then the police are out of play." - I was thinking along the lines of a Thai crashing into a farang - and it being the farang's fault.

Yeah, yeah - same old argument - it's never happened to me, so how would I know, but I am quite sure it's not an urban myth, and it has happened to some unfortunate people.

So, if a Thai crashes into you, and he badly injures himself, or dies - you are in a vulnerable position to be extorted. Let's leave it at that.

As for the Russian mafia - I agree in some respects, and disagree in others. In relation to violence perpetrated upon a tourist or expat, by Russian mafia, in general, they pose little threat, but in relation to ATM skimming, money laundering, scams and frauds - I am sure they are into it here, and one may become a victim on these non violent crimes.

As for the Thai mafia - well, we are all paying for them, whether it be through the cost of "tea money" being passed onto the consumer, or collusion to set high rents here - which is also passed onto the consumer etc etc - we are all indirectly paying the price of corruption here.

As for young Thai guys that form their own small "crews" that are on ya bah and ice - they are definately a concern, and in my opinion, pose a considerable threat to the safety of locals, tourists, and expats, in the future. Their need for funds to support their recreational habits, or addiction, will increase, considerably, and so will the violence of their crimes.

As for the taxi and tuk-tuks - once again, collusion, and protection of their monopoly, through violence and blockades, basically meets the definition of the word "mafia." They are the reason so many die on the roads here, and why Phuket does not have similar transport options, and prices, to other similar tourist desinations in Thailand. On that basis, they have some power and control over transport, which is an essential service, on Phuket.

So, that leaves the Chinese coughing in public. Most of their coughing is from smoking. In any case, I keep some Tamiflu on hand, and if I come across one with body odour - I move.

I would much rather an interaction with a Chinese cougher, than any of the others above. biggrin.png

Is this specific to Phuket? **So, if a Thai crashes into you, and he badly injures himself, or dies - you are in a vulnerable position to be extorted. Let's leave it at that.**

Is this a danger in Phuket traffic? **As for the Russian mafia ________ in relation to ATM skimming, money laundering, scams and frauds**

Is this specific to Phuket? **we are all indirectly paying the price of corruption here **

Is this specific to Phuket? **As for young Thai guys that form their own small "crews" that are on ya bah and ice**

I NEVER thought I would defend and tuk tuk driver in Phuket, but I have to now **As for the taxi and tuk-tuks _____ They are the reason so many die on the roads here.**

SIMPLY NOT TRUE, In fact it's very rare for them to be involved in any accident, it happens but it seems they are driving better and better for each year. (better = not involved in accidents)

Don't comment on the chinese bashing, don't recognize the description of them. Yeah, sure a few of them, but not the majority.

To comment on if Phuket is safe to go with a MC, absolutely not but there's no difference from the rest of Thailand, like so many other have said, use helmet, keep you DL with you, drive safe, not too fast or too slow, follow the traffic rhythm, yeah I know, sounds like there is one and it does, go, stop, wait, go, stop, wait, go, stop, wait, almost always in that order.

It's not specific to Phuket, but the OP's post asked about Phuket, so, he was told it can happen here as well.

The OP also asked about the presence of Police, Thai and Russian mafias - so I also commented. Read again, you will see I stated, in general, the Russian mafia pose no threat of violence, police may extort you if involved in an accident - even if it's not your fault, and young Thai guys may kick you off your bike and road you. Sure, this could happen anywhere in Thailland, but IT IS SPECIFIC to the coast road, on Phuket, late at night.

I posted why the lack of transport options here makes the roads more dangerous, particularly at night, maybe you missed it, read again - I never commented on the driving skills, or lack thereof, tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

I never "bashed" the Chinese - another member did.

By the way - how do you get home after a night out drinking????

When I have an evening out, I drive, like everyone else I know, but it doesn't mean I will be in an accident.

I drive very carefully all the time but if I'm intoxicated, I drive even slower.

The threat at night was true a couple of years ago and it might happen every now and then, but it's not a regular thing.

But responsible as I try to be, I don't get very drunk the few times I go out, it sort of lost its appeal nowadays.

I do think you exaggerated a lot though, if a person is aggressive in traffic as well as when in contact with another person, wherever you are in the world, bad things happens a lot more than if you have a calm and tranquil personality.

I still think you commented outside topic.

"I drive very carefully all the time but if I'm intoxicated, I drive even slower." - well, that's great to know. The roads are so much safer with you driving slower when intoxicated. :)

How many others here do you think "drive even slower" when they are intoxicated?

How many of them would get a 20 baht - baht bus home, if they existed here, thus, reducing accidents, injury and death?

How many others thought they were driving "even slower" but they crashed and died here?

I think you have painted an accurate picture for the OP of the amount of drink driving/riding on Phuket.

Please try to stay on topic.

The OP stated he is an experienced rider in Thailand.

He didn't ask for advice on how to ride a motorbike.

smile.png

Wow, you are really something, you don't think it's Op's choice to tell me, besides, if he's used to the steep hill roads that we have here in Phuket, my advice about breaks would probably be known already but what's the harm of letting him know something you don't experience on flat land.

During my years in Thailand I have seen, maybe 100-150 accidents in downhill curves, and the common denominator is people using their front breaks, not all but the accidents in curves.

I myself are VERY experienced motorcycle driver and I have had some close calls myself. I have 43 years of driving two wheels and I still make mistakes when I ride my bike, but I feel very thankful towards people who warns me about local hazards, as people did first time I came to Thailand and Phuket about slippery roads, sand and salt on the roads and whatnot.

Maybe because of that I still haven't been engaged in an accident in Thailand, knock on wood.

As you've been riding around Thailand and covering some miles I'm guessing your biggest fear (Russian Mafia? Forget it) is having your bike stolen? It's no different to BKK or most places, Good locks, alarm with engine cut out and tracker like everywhere else. Police will leave you alone pretty much if you'e helmeted up. No great rides on Phuket really though. East of the island has some nice rides but you'll be done in a few hours. Traffic is heavy and a bit mad but better than Samui. Enjoy!!

Wow, you are really something, you don't think it's Op's choice to tell me, besides, if he's used to the steep hill roads that we have here in Phuket, my advice about breaks would probably be known already but what's the harm of letting him know something you don't experience on flat land.

During my years in Thailand I have seen, maybe 100-150 accidents in downhill curves, and the common denominator is people using their front breaks, not all but the accidents in curves.

I myself are VERY experienced motorcycle driver and I have had some close calls myself. I have 43 years of driving two wheels and I still make mistakes when I ride my bike, but I feel very thankful towards people who warns me about local hazards, as people did first time I came to Thailand and Phuket about slippery roads, sand and salt on the roads and whatnot.

Maybe because of that I still haven't been engaged in an accident in Thailand, knock on wood.

"you don't think it's Op's choice to tell me," - I can't speak for the OP, but you decided to "tell me" - so I only thought it fair I tell you when you have gone off topic. biggrin.png

So, how is YOUR riding experience, and how long YOU have lived here, relevant to the OP's questions?

"you don't think it's Op's choice to tell me," - I can't speak for the OP, but you decided to "tell me" - so I only thought it fair I tell you when you have gone off topic. biggrin.png

So, how is YOUR riding experience, and how long YOU have lived here, relevant to the OP's questions?

I'm sorry if I offended you with my first post to you, I didn't know about your condition, sorry!

I'm sorry if I offended you with my first post to you, I didn't know about your condition, sorry!

That's ok, Easy Rider. :)

Always good to see some emotion in posts and threads. :)

I think the OP should stay away from Phuket.

Apart from the Russian Mafia and the Thai Mafia there are also American motorcycle gangs roaming the island causing chaos:

attachicon.gifxbphuket_jpg_pagespeed_ic_lQXVwiSCPu6Hzjbcs8CA.jpg

A quick google reveals several news articles on the issue. The most recent being this one, from an Australian news source.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aussie-bikies-invade-asia-gangs-on-overseas-recruiting-drives/story-fni0cx12-1227080879424

Is this for real? fear of Russian Mafia while riding?

Steer clear of drugs and borrowing money and you'll never have a problem.

Russian people I have come across are fine, it's the rude and smelly Chinese you should fear. They cough without covering their mouths.

You forgot...spit and sxxt...in public also...crude...rude...uncouth...and this is their good characteristics...

Russian people I have come across are fine, it's the rude and smelly Chinese you should fear. They cough without covering their mouths.

You forgot...spit and sxxt...in public also...crude...rude...uncouth...and this is their good characteristics...
The other day I saw a Chinese mother holding her infant while was crapping in the gutter. I saw people walking past horrified as the child had its legs lifted in the air while it was defecating. I've seen nothing like it and wish to never see that again.

Fair enough on a back street or empty field but this was right out front of Starbucks kata.

Putrid.

• Like 1

140,000 km around Phuket on a motorcycle (and more in other provinces), at all times of the day and night, with neither an accident nor a ticket.

That being said, there are certain times of day when it is best to avoid certain roads, but that is mostly down to common sense.

Police…. I wear a helmet and carry my driving licence, so figure it's not worth wasting my time and the police's. I just ignore most checkpoints and ride straight through, as do most locals. A few do obligingly stop sans helmet or licence, to contribute to the police coffers.

Traffic….. kinda crazy, even compared to other parts of Thailand. Observe local traffic patterns and driver / rider habits, then adapt and fit in, staying well aware of what is going on around you.

-NCCC1701A-

No problems in the way you asked for on Phuket, you got already good answers, I love to bike to.

Only much to much traffic! I know that island since 1990.

Better times until 2000+ But now, terrible!

North of Phuket along the coast until Ranong-Chumphon, nice,

also South-East down to Koh Lanta and on Koh Lanta and south until Satun, than a short trip with ferry,

but as I know without motobike from Satun, to the nice island of Langkawi=Malaysia, there is nice cruising.thumbsup.gif

Phuket, crowded roads, heavy traffic most ways, fun finished for me there. bah.gif

Apart from the Russian Mafia and the Thai Mafia there are also American motorcycle gangs roaming the island causing chaos:

A quick google reveals several news articles on the issue. The most recent being this one, from an Australian news source.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aussie-bikies-invade-asia-gangs-on-overseas-recruiting-drives/story-fni0cx12-1227080879424

I guess if you were up with what is actually happening on this island you would be aware that the couple pictured in my post are show business personalities on holiday here. They're riding around seemingly without any concerns for their safety.

Edited by Old Croc

I find a baseball bat perfect for Russians, Tuk Tuk Drivers, taxis and all the other pests. It sorts them right out in a heartbeat

Is this your idea of humor or sarcasm ? If you are for real, with this attitude you won't be REAL for long.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

I would rather be coughed on by a Chinese, than have to deal with the Phuket police, Phuket mafia, or Russian mafia here on Phuket. biggrin.png

Where are the so called Russian mafia? Phuket mafia? don't think I have ever come across them in 6 yrs here!! police are fine if you are legal!!

• Like 1

I find a baseball bat perfect for Russians, Tuk Tuk Drivers, taxis and all the other pests. It sorts them right out in a heartbeat

Is this your idea of humor or sarcasm ? If you are for real, with this attitude you won't be REAL for long.

Unless they are carrying a gun then it is you with the big problem!!

He was always claiming under his previous handle he took the baseball bat with him on his motorbike :)

I guess if you were up with what is actually happening on this island you would be aware that the couple pictured in my post are show business personalities on holiday here. They're riding around seemingly without any concerns for their safety.

i guess if you were up on the more serious things happening on this island you would be aware that various outlaw motorcycle groups are moving into drug supply, drug trafficking, money laudering etc, big time, on Phuket.

Of course, a couple of celebrities, riding around with their entourage, poses a more serious threat to the safety of all of us here, doesn't it. :)

Inflammatory post attacking another board member has been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

As mentioned earlier be careful riding between Patong and Karon beach at night.

And why is that?

A lot of bugs flying around?

Yes, I did notice that, especially just before sunset, I really have to close my vizor then.