Will my girlfreind (or me) die soon?

bobbydavro

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food.

Quote of the month.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

24ct gold!

^ Priceless.

OP: I thought during your time as a monk it would of been explained to you that nothing is permanent, we all get to die at so splint. Even Lord Buddha experienced this.

Note to self. There's one born every minute.

What is 'so splint'?

I like this forum, great the way it lets you express your disrespect of members, Buddhism, Lord Buddha and Monks. Have the forum rules been dropped for 2015 in place of freedom of speech?

So, your original post was serious? I thought you were taking the piss... But this response is comedy gold...

• Like 1

Rice should be cooled as quickly as possible and placed in a refrigerator in a sealed container for a maximum of 3 days.

Rice may contain bacillus cereus bacteria which can multiply very quickly this can cause vomiting and diarrhoea for up to about 24 hours. Very rarely fatal so you should be ok.

However it may be of interest to those who eat in Thailand who think it is ok to go native with food to search for liver cancer in Thailand on the web caused by liver flukes from fish and also the proportion of the population that carry the hepatitis b - it was 70 - 90% infected by the age of 40 - although this is now going down due to vaccination.

yes, it survives the cooking...very interesting. But we often had rice getting old. With some common sense it can be avoided....From cooked, overnight cool in the rice cooker: no problem. 24 hours most probably a problem.

Common sense....

But even more common sense would be to leave to cooker on. Or just made as much as you intend to eat.....

Tell her it's illegal to leave uneaten food out of the fridge while in the UK and she will be deported if someone reports her. wink.png

Other than that I think you need to grow a pair and get on her about tidying up. The three days of silence will be worth it.

Agree about the food in general and their methods of preparation etc in Thailand though. Walk into any hospital and observe the number of people with severe stomach issues.

Keeping good out of the fridge in UK is like playing card in Thailand laugh.png

Deported she might not believe...But can tell her: if the jealous neighbor-woman reports her to the police and they find some food outside the fridge they may demand 100 UKPound bribe tongue.png

The way food is handled by Thai people only seems to bother and have a negative effect on those from cultures where things are kept unnaturally clean and sterile.

I think there is a lot to be said for growing up in a not so sterile environment and building a much stronger immunity system.

Eating food that has not been stored of prepared in what westerners consider a safe fashion seems to only make foreigners ill, not Thai people.

• Like 1

Look at the butchers in Thailand (also in Villa market or Foodland) and see they wear gloves. He will put your meat in the bag with that glove, then holds the same bag with that glove, tie the bag with that glove and hand it over to you with the same glove.

Why do they wear gloves anyway?

Then i ask them to put it in a 2nd plastic bag and of course he uses the same dirty glove to hold that bag and hand it over to me.thumbsup.gif

So everything you touch in a supermarket will have raw meat/poultry/fish bacterials on it.....

On the markets it is even far worse.clap2.gif

The way food is handled by Thai people only seems to bother and have a negative effect on those from cultures where things are kept unnaturally clean and sterile.

I think there is a lot to be said for growing up in a not so sterile environment and building a much stronger immunity system.

Eating food that has not been stored of prepared in what westerners consider a safe fashion seems to only make foreigners ill, not Thai people.

From 10 Thai staff here in the company approx. 1 per month get some food poisoning that he need to see the doctor. OK they are quick to run to the doc, waiting 2 days would be also OK. But they are not immune.

Look at the butchers in Thailand (also in Villa market or Foodland) and see they wear gloves. He will put your meat in the bag with that glove, then holds the same bag with that glove, tie the bag with that glove and hand it over to you with the same glove.

Why do they wear gloves anyway?

Then i ask them to put it in a 2nd plastic bag and of course he uses the same dirty glove to hold that bag and hand it over to me.thumbsup.gif

So everything you touch in a supermarket will have raw meat/poultry/fish bacterials on it.....

On the markets it is even far worse.clap2.gif

Has shopping there ever made you get sick?

I have been buying unrefrigerated food ( meat ) from open markets with conditions like you describe for years.

I do inspect meat before purchase, mostly check the smell and color, and always use proper hygiene when preparing the food, being sure it has been cooked properly.

I have not been ill from bad food even once, since moving to Thailand.post-147745-0-67958500-1420507055_thumb.

"I have visited thailand many times and turned a blind eye to the food hygiene standards that differ from the UK, I have not once been ill (touch wood) and eat all of the street food etc"

OP, from the cut above from the original post, you don't seem overly concerned when you are on holiday/visiting Thailand.

​Food hygiene isn't determined by which country you eat it in, so i would guess you should be OK in the UK if you have no concerns about street side vendors here.

That said, if you are worried/scared about the situation, attach your spherical appendixes and change it..................wink.png

You ever seen a pheasant or deer hung? Personally, i think it is disgusting, but apparently a lot like the meal after the process.

I have visited thailand many times and turned a blind eye to the food hygiene standards that differ from the UK, I have not once been ill (touch wood) and eat all of the street food etc. I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food. Now I have a thai girlfriend here in the UK she is making food and leaving it out to the elements (not covering it and putting it in the fridge, leaving rice in the rice cooker (turned off) overnight, eating and preparing food well outside its sell by date etc. The house has never never been as clean but the whole food hygiene thing that I have grown up with makes me think she is doing something wrong and I am about to die from ruptured bowel and/or a rectal prolapse - overly paranoid or rightly so?

Can't be sure your cause of death will be ruptured bowel or rectal prolapse however it is sure that you are going to die

Rice should be cooled as quickly as possible and placed in a refrigerator in a sealed container for a maximum of 3 days.

Rice may contain bacillus cereus bacteria which can multiply very quickly this can cause vomiting and diarrhoea for up to about 24 hours. Very rarely fatal so you should be ok.

However it may be of interest to those who eat in Thailand who think it is ok to go native with food to search for liver cancer in Thailand on the web caused by liver flukes from fish and also the proportion of the population that carry the hepatitis b - it was 70 - 90% infected by the age of 40 - although this is now going down due to vaccination.

uncooked fish

Has anybody met a Health Inspector or Health and Safety Officer from the west actually holidaying or living in Thailand?

I haven't, but I bet they'd be a bundle of laughs at the bar. w00t.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

uncooked fish

Yep!

Uncooked fish, fermented "stinky" fish (pla ra) without properly cooking/heating up before eating.

Same for "sour fish".

Still a big killer here in Isan. World region with the highest rate of bile duct cancer.

Just seen another patient in the neighbouring village. They give him another 6 months.

Raw pork is a nono too.

(not sure: pork from the deep freezer is not risky, you could make raw ground pork from it ?)

No vaccination/cure for the above (as far as I know).

Hepatitis is a different story and yes I am vaccinated for A and B type.

In my opinion a must for everybody living in Thailand away from the hotel buffet.

On the other hand I find this thread a bit amusing.

Some paranoia.

I live four years in the village.

One food poisoning case there.

Partly my fault, because I did not properly heat up some meat/food from the day before.

Or even better I should have thrown it away because the sister in law had not stored it in the fridge.

(some squitters does not count as food poisoning for me tongue.png )

Worst food poisining was in Pattaya. Caught some rotten steak ("farang food") covered well in sauce etc.

Two lost holidays to gain basic strenght again.

Rice overnight in the cooker: eaten countless times.

Should I tell, that I have eaten raw minced beef multiple times whistling.gif

Beef from the local butcher. Just a couple of hours after slaughtering.

Edited by KhunBENQ

uncooked fish

Yep!

Uncooked fish, fermented "stinky" fish (pla ra) without properly cooking/heating up before eating.

Same for "sour fish".

Still a big killer here in Isan. World region with the highest rate of bile duct cancer.

Just seen another patient in the neighbouring village. They give him another 6 months.

Raw pork is a nono too.

(not sure: pork from the deep freezer is not risky, you could make raw ground pork from it ?)

No vaccination/cure for the above (as far as I know).

Hepatitis is a different story and yes I am vaccinated for A and B type.

In my opinion a must for everybody living in Thailand away from the hotel buffet.

On the other hand I find this thread a bit amusing.

Some paranoia.

I live four years in the village.

One food poisoning case there.

Partly my fault, because I did not properly heat up some meat/food from the day before.

Or even better I should have thrown it away because the sister in law had not stored it in the fridge.

(some squitters does not count as food poisoning for me tongue.png )

Worst food poisining was in Pattaya. Caught some rotten steak ("farang food") covered well in sauce etc.

Two lost holidays to gain basic strenght again.

Rice overnight in the cooker: eaten countless times.

Should I tell, that I have eaten raw minced beef multiple times whistling.gif

Beef from the local butcher. Just a couple of hours after slaughtering.

weve lost four in our family to liver cancer. hep A comes from food, B from bodily fluids

I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food

Shaolin style? biggrin.png

"Ah, Mr. Higgins,,,,your clan from the ministry darken my door once more...it is true that I have placed cooked meat and raw meat in the same tupperware container in the fridge and have some out of date Bernard Matthews turkey drummers....but now observe my drunken monkey technique and prepare to meet your ancestors! "

Edited by mca

You have survived many trips to Thailand and not been sick, in spite of eating street food in 40+ degree heat and 100% humidity; yet you are now worried about your girlfriend leaving food out through the UK Winter??

Don't worry about "educating" her, educate yourself.

Eat drink and be merry...

I noticed here that most food, including meat, still fresh exposed to the weather and even inside the frig for long time, than the same food in the US.

I am not an expert, but I think that food in the US contain so much preservatives, colorants, and chemicals, that may be the reason why spoils so fast. Anyway...probably Thai people may have better resistance to food poisoning than others. A good advice will be just to be careful and take it slow. Human body get adapted to everything in long term...

My wife has done that for years and never had a problem. She is getting better at putting stuff in the fridge but it's a process. As with any change you want a thai woman to make you need to make it more a gentle nudge. I started by just putting the stuff away myself and she started to pick up on it over time.

Man up and manage the situaton.

The english spelling is 'situation'
Would this require me going into the kitchen?

Give us some background on your Thai girlfriend? What does she do in the UK?

Have you left your girlfriend anything in your wiil? Or it maybe worth investigation if she has opened a discrete life insurance policy for you where she is the beneficiary, the ploy being you die of natural causes brought on by bad food hygiene.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

I noticed here that most food, including meat, still fresh exposed to the weather and even inside the frig for long time, than the same food in the US.

I am not an expert, but I think that food in the US contain so much preservatives, colorants, and chemicals, that may be the reason why spoils so fast. Anyway...probably Thai people may have better resistance to food poisoning than others. A good advice will be just to be careful and take it slow. Human body get adapted to everything in long term...

Anyway...probably Thai people may have better resistance to food poisoning than others. Human body get adapted to everything in long term...

A study was done some years back that showed people who spent time on a farm as children, even small amounts of time, had significantly better immune systems than those who didn't.

When I was a kid, we went to a friend's dairy farm every summer. Threw dung at each other, composted chicken crap for the garden (after throwing that, too, and hid in the hay for hours.

I've yet to be sick in almost 60 years, and only had food poisoning twice: once from Wendy's, and another from a Chinese restaurant. A week later that restaurant was shut down. Health Department found hundreds of cat skins in the dumpster.