Don't Oppose the Junta, Thaksin Instructs Redshirts

Lite Beer

So, he's still running the show then it seems, thought he had promised not to interfere in politics again?

There's a wonderful article posted back in July 15 2009 on a blogspot blog titled "Thailand - Bangkok - Charges of Crimes against the Nation". Well worth a read.

Perhaps Thaksin's strategy is to give the Junta 'sufficient rope to hang themselves'.

Definition ". to allow someone to accomplish their own downfall by their own foolish acts"

Spot on analysis.

Indeed. Do nothing currys favour by not meddling and if it goes bad ? theres no blame. Its a win win by simply doing nothing for now.

All that befalls Thailand is the responsibility of the Junta, no need to do a thing but sit back and watch.

Exactly what a couple of Thai academics suggested would be the strategy prior to the coup if one happened.

Shrewd move but not unexpected.

• Like 1

If you can't oppose them.....join them.

The big criminal, megalomaniac, hypocrite is speaking to his low mentality supporters.

Same same Greek politicians ,stay of the chang and take youre alzheimer meds costas....

I'm sure that there is planning taking place WRT the red movement........the military takeover was a severe distraction for his group and probably not unexpected.........but IMO, he'll be back with a vengeance......

It'll take some serious work from the junta to neutralise his following, swing them away from the red movement and attract them.....but... I don't think they're capable of achieving it.

Pop into our village in Surin (Amphur Sangkha) and see what the locals ( (90% of whom are farmers) think of Thaksin and his mates, indeed that little Thaksin clique is about as popular as a pork butchers shop would be in Mecca at Ramadan.

Thaksin has two problems, megalomania and breathing.

I was up country during protests in Bangkok and saw with my own eyes, Thai men being paid to board a bus to Bangkok and protest. Its amazing how a few hundred baht can change people's mind when it comes to politics.

Thaksin knows Thailand is going to have a rough year, both economically and politically so this sounds to me like a snide remark saying let's just sit back and watch Rome burn.

Yes the problems with the Rice farmers is the price of rice isnt worth anything now.

because Taksin has ruined it for everyone and the country is in massive debt.

He really doesnt care about anything apart from votes (buying)

Bla bla. While they are back to normal chasing the "biggest exporter in the world"

No one is making any money except the middle man. This is the tragedy. A complete lack of plan B

"he is concerned with the state of the economy in Thailand and its potential effects on low-income workers"

I like the way he mentions the low income earners such as farmers and laborers something that he purports to support.

​Remember 2.59 million of the poorest farmers could not even join the rice scheme. The one village fund gave access to loans of which instead of buying farming essentials the majority bought phones that where surprise surprise monopolized by thakisns telecommunications companies. And in turn the household debt had gone up almost 100 percent from 2002 to 2004 while the the shinawatras families shares rose to 31.54 billion baht or a 70.11% increase from 2003.

So thaksin got richer and the poor got further in debt!! What a surprise. But of course the schemes are designed to help the poor!!!

And rest assured just as he loves coups when it makes him richer and hates them when it makes him poorer he does not give a hoot about the poor. They are a means to an end. That end being thaksin getting richer.

​I wonder how many of the Right Honorable Ahbisits private companies have benefited from policies he has personally designed and implemented? None. Because he actually puts the poor and the country first. Not his personal wealth.

thakisn. Brilliant business man. Corrupt criminal politician.

I very much doubt that he is a brilliant business man - manipulator - yes, egotistical conman - yes, user of people to suit his scheme of greatness - yes, corrupt criminal - yes - proven in a court of law, is there any need to say more - no.

The fact that Thaksin has not been a vocal critic of the coup and the 'NCPO' speaks for itself.

Thais, who value democracy, need new leaders.

It's that simple.

Yes he must be very worried about what can be done against him, things like revoking his illegal passport (probably diplomatic), sure he has others but they are from insignificant countries and he would have to apply for visas everywhere he went.

Then there is the increasing friendship with China, a few words in the correct ears and there and also Hong Kong would be out as destinations for him.

International warrants for his arrest on the charges he faces would restrict him even farther, not all countries would recognize them but enough to cramp his style.

Assets seized in this country is another thing he must be scared of.

Follow up's of the money trails from the funding of the 2010 riots would be another, as well as following up the corruption money from the rice pledging and other schemes.

Yes he has a lot to be worried about.

They sure do need new leaders, Thaksins time is well past and didn't he once say "Democracy is not my aim"

But then those who think democracy is only about winning an election by any means then doing what you like would still want him, particularly if they could get on the payroll.

• Like 1

"he is concerned with the state of the economy in Thailand and its potential effects on low-income workers"

I like the way he mentions the low income earners such as farmers and laborers something that he purports to support.

​Remember 2.59 million of the poorest farmers could not even join the rice scheme. The one village fund gave access to loans of which instead of buying farming essentials the majority bought phones that where surprise surprise monopolized by thakisns telecommunications companies. And in turn the household debt had gone up almost 100 percent from 2002 to 2004 while the the shinawatras families shares rose to 31.54 billion baht or a 70.11% increase from 2003.

So thaksin got richer and the poor got further in debt!! What a surprise. But of course the schemes are designed to help the poor!!!

And rest assured just as he loves coups when it makes him richer and hates them when it makes him poorer he does not give a hoot about the poor. They are a means to an end. That end being thaksin getting richer.

​I wonder how many of the Right Honorable Ahbisits private companies have benefited from policies he has personally designed and implemented? None. Because he actually puts the poor and the country first. Not his personal wealth.

thakisn. Brilliant business man. Corrupt criminal politician.

I very much doubt that he is a brilliant business man - manipulator - yes, egotistical conman - yes, user of people to suit his scheme of greatness - yes, corrupt criminal - yes - proven in a court of law, is there any need to say more - no.

Very unlikely that he is a brilliant businessman, he has enough money to pay others to do the thinking and run things for him.

He did fail at more than one business before he got an exclusive contract to supply computers to the police who he worked for at the time, several of his businesses were based on no competition and cronyism, just employs the right people that's all.

History is bound to repeat however Khun Thaksin the Junta is only there because of you Sir, twice , not a bad effort for a life time. coffee1.gif

yes, somebody didn't like Thaksin run the least corrupt government in the history of Thailand (data from Transparency International), didn't like he PAID IN ADVANCE ALL DEBT TO IMF (fist time a country did it), didn t like he HALVED the number of poors, didn't like the economy expanded by about 50% during his government , didn't like an aiport was built in a record time when previous govts. had stolen all the money for about 50 years for that project, didn't like the international reserves of Thailand rose drammatically from almost nil.

Keeping Thais in desperation and absolute misery make some retirees happy so they can exploit their misery.

I wonder why that folk didn t move to Cambodia if they love seeing people in misery. Perhaps because the lack of shopping malls ?

The least corrupt Govt ?

Have a look at the chart and see who ran the least corrupt Govt.

attachicon.gif576x544xCorruption-Perceptions-Index-THAILAND-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NKNgav0HXt1.jpg

in the first 4 years while he was putting his own people in place the downward trend started then improved, after the coup, his 2 proxy govts carried on the downward trend then the Abhisit Govt came along and things started to improve even though he had to take on the corrupt parasite parties to form a coalition.

Then the Yingluck Govt and down to new lows.

Have a look at your own chart and explain how you conclude from that which government was the least corrupt.

Clue: does the chart show corruption or "the perception of corruption"?

Pop into our village in Surin (Amphur Sangkha) and see what the locals ( (90% of whom are farmers) think of Thaksin and his mates, indeed that little Thaksin clique is about as popular as a pork butchers shop would be in Mecca at Ramadan.

I was up country during protests in Bangkok and saw with my own eyes, Thai men being paid to board a bus to Bangkok and protest. Its amazing how a few hundred baht can change people's mind when it comes to politics.

Thaksin knows Thailand is going to have a rough year, both economically and politically so this sounds to me like a snide remark saying let's just sit back and watch Rome burn.

Which protest are you talking about? The most recent one or the one before that etc. etc? Is a fact both sides of politics pay for protesters to assemble in BKK. One sides stooges come from the south, the other sides stooges come from the north. Is how it is here. You would have to be completely one eyed to believe otherwise. Is the same with elections. Both sides pay for votes but the voters always choose who the want at the ballot box. Has been discussed and pulled to pieces on this forum numerous times over the years. Many links to articles are available with a quick internet search, most concluding both sides of politics are just as guilty as each other.

• Like 1

Which protest are you talking about? The most recent one or the one before that etc. etc? Is a fact both sides of politics pay for protesters to assemble in BKK. One sides stooges come from the south, the other sides stooges come from the north. Is how it is here. You would have to be completely one eyed to believe otherwise. Is the same with elections. Both sides pay for votes but the voters always choose who the want at the ballot box. Has been discussed and pulled to pieces on this forum numerous times over the years. Many links to articles are available with a quick internet search, most concluding both sides of politics are just as guilty as each other.

That's true to an extent BUT I know on the last bit of chaos a lot of the yellow/ anti Thaksin supporters were from middle class homes in and around BKK. The money being given was real, from real people who are just pissed off with it all!

• Like 1

That's true to an extent BUT I know on the last bit of chaos a lot of the yellow/ anti Thaksin supporters were from middle class homes in and around BKK. The money being given was real, from real people who are just pissed off with it all!

That's true. But they are in their home town and can go back every night to a good meal and a comfortable bed. Most of the protesters from outside Bangkok don't have that option. They are mostly from a lower social economic level and generally depend on handouts from the political party they are supporting. This goes for both sides of politics be it red or yellow.

• Like 1

The protests of 2010.

You're comparing chalk and cheese, PAD are mainly upper and middle class bankonians or southerners and didn't do it for money. The reds rent a mob however were doing it mainly for a payout, agreed there was dirt on both sides its just who was dirtiest.

Edited by Scully

The fact that Thaksin has not been a vocal critic of the coup and the 'NCPO' speaks for itself.

Thais, who value democracy, need new leaders.

It's that simple.

Yes he must be very worried about what can be done against him, things like revoking his illegal passport (probably diplomatic), sure he has others but they are from insignificant countries and he would have to apply for visas everywhere he went.

Then there is the increasing friendship with China, a few words in the correct ears and there and also Hong Kong would be out as destinations for him.

International warrants for his arrest on the charges he faces would restrict him even farther, not all countries would recognize them but enough to cramp his style.

Assets seized in this country is another thing he must be scared of.

Follow up's of the money trails from the funding of the 2010 riots would be another, as well as following up the corruption money from the rice pledging and other schemes.

Yes he has a lot to be worried about.

They sure do need new leaders, Thaksins time is well past and didn't he once say "Democracy is not my aim"

But then those who think democracy is only about winning an election by any means then doing what you like would still want him, particularly if they could get on the payroll.

as you can see, my post was much less about Thaksin that the people who value democracy. biggrin.png

Thaksin is one player in the game. He's been a factor for 15 years. Like Prem and other generals who oppose him, he'll fade away someday too.

Thaksin is not the issue. Democracy is the issue. With Thaksin's current approach, he is demonstrating his own self-interest and his lack of real concern regarding democracy and self-governance.

(the quote that you paraphrased, ... that has been taken out of context since the day he said it. It's really unimportant)

it's a complete and total urban legend that red shirts only came to bangkok for the money.

I doubt anybody claimed it was ONLY for the money, allowing for cause such as tourism, partying and escaping Isaan ennui. But it is inescapable fact that many were paid to support a billionaire's cause, though some still claim (why?) it wasn't he who paid.

And given that, it was important that the anti-Yingluk protesters be accused similarly, even though there was ample evidence that the money flow was the other way round. Because there is a country mile of difference between those PAID to protest and those willing to part with their own hard-earned in a rightful cause.

it's a complete and total urban legend that red shirts only came to bangkok for the money.

I doubt anybody claimed it was ONLY for the money, allowing for cause such as tourism, partying and escaping Isaan ennui. But it is inescapable fact that many were paid to support a billionaire's cause, though some still claim (why?) it wasn't he who paid.

And given that, it was important that the anti-Yingluk protesters be accused similarly, even though there was ample evidence that the money flow was the other way round. Because there is a country mile of difference between those PAID to protest and those willing to part with their own hard-earned in a rightful cause.

What sandpit have you had your head in ? There were plenty paid to come protest last year are you kidding ?

Money flow the other way around my ass lol

The big criminal, megalomaniac, hypocrite is speaking to his low mentality supporters.

He's not "joining them." He is making the smart move by not validating the image created by the opposition of PTP as violent hooligans. He is also more than happy to give them all the rope they need to hang themselves.

What sandpit have you had your head in ? There were plenty paid to come protest last year are you kidding ?

Money flow the other way around my ass lol

Are you asking me to prove a negative? How about supplying some links to payments made?

Donations made BY the protesters were widely reported, as were claims Suthep was stealing them. Until you can prove payments TO the protesters exceeded donations, the direction of flow is obvious, whether you laugh like an ass or not.

He's not "joining them." He is making the smart move by not validating the image created by the opposition of PTP as violent hooligans. He is also more than happy to give them all the rope they need to hang themselves.

The opposition did not create the image of red shirts as violent hooligans, that was all their own work.

BTW it would be wise to avoid using the term 'smart' when replying to a post using 'his low mentality supporters'. As smart is a term of relative perception, it tends to prove his point.