Bangkok: Sign inside taxi explains why he won't use meter

webfact

Everyone should use the airport link to Phaya Thai which is 44 baht. And then hail a taxi in that area, or even better catch the BTS to wherever they live or where they are staying. Ignoring of course the taxi drivers near the station trying to rip off customers... same as this clown.

I think it only fair to raise the point that 500 Baht is not a great deal of money, especially if you are from a country such as the UK (as I am) where that ammount of cash would not get to to the next junction.

I stopover in Bangkok very often and have never been overcharged for the taxi to my regular hotel. Instead I feel bad about that fact that the driver has waited in line for hours at the airport, only to get me who is going 5 minutes down the road for a fair of Baht 90. I always pay Baht 200 to resolve my concience.

I don't mind going off-meter, as long as you agree to the fee beforehand and the driver sticks to it.

They don't have to wait at the airport. Bangkok is a big place. Try somewhere else for a fare. And he also doesn't have to do the job. Thailand has zero unemployment - if he can't make money as a taxi driver then do something else.

• Like 1

She could have taken the airport link (AL) and BTS to On Nut, perhaps. I know the trains can sometimes be crowded and she might have had a lot of luggage or it was after hours, but I'd bet many are not aware they can use and AL/BTS/MRT itinerary instead of taxis.

I went to the airport in November to meet relatives and rode a folding bicycle (non-folding bicycles are disallowed on AL) to the Makkasan AL station from Asok. It pays to know the Bangkok public transportation options. One might be advised to think twice about taking a bus, however.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

The whole taxi system needs a serious overhaul. I agree they are cheap, but they clog up the roads when there is a perfectly decent public transport system. Stop the subsidies, increase the fares and enjoy the reduction in taxis on the roads and the corresponding reduction in conjestion. Looking out of my balcony now I see approx 3 taxis for every 10 cars. ridiculous

• Like 2

I think it only fair to raise the point that 500 Baht is not a great deal of money, especially if you are from a country such as the UK (as I am) where that ammount of cash would not get to to the next junction.

I stopover in Bangkok very often and have never been overcharged for the taxi to my regular hotel. Instead I feel bad about that fact that the driver has waited in line for hours at the airport, only to get me who is going 5 minutes down the road for a fair of Baht 90. I always pay Baht 200 to resolve my concience.

I don't mind going off-meter, as long as you agree to the fee beforehand and the driver sticks to it.

The cost of living is not the same as the UK, here 500 Baht IS a great deal of money almost 2 full days work on minimum wages. Would you pay 2 days wages for a single taxi ride back home?

Exactly. I'm from the UK but I live and work here so my wage, albeit higher than an average Thai wage, is paid in Thai baht and not British pounds. You're feeding a monster by giving them more, and making it harder for those less well-of than yourself. Many a time I've had to ask a taxi driver where he is going as we unnecessarily do a u-turn and go back the way we came as he runs up meter thinking I'm a clueless tourist.

• Like 2

Can only make assumptions regarding the passenger knowing how to read Thai to know the sign had to do with the fare. The driver could have also pointed it out when the passenger "got in and demanded 500 baht" as the article states.

Point being is even first time visitors should do enough research to know they need to make sure a driver turns on the meter, I can't fault them too much since they are new. But if the story is true and it was a licensed driver at the airport (which I am skeptical) every person who has been around even a little in Bangkok should know they should have never taken this taxi and simply went back to the attendant at the machine to report the driver and get another cab.

Not sure where this story originated but not sure why it didn't include his ID photo along with the sign and have been reported to the numbers widely publicized to report even more minor violations than having a sign saying their meter would not be turned on despite being an authorized airport taxi ... why even get authorized to pick up at the airport if you know doing such a thing will result in problems for you.

Countless times I have been through BKK and only had 1 driver ever request not to use the meter at the normal pick up point and I got out and got another taxi and he was kicked out of the airport (at least right then) despite his telling the agent he would use the meter and basically was just asking me if I would do a flat fee to ride into the city.

Before the taxi driver puts the vehicle in gear or takes his foot off the brake, always point out to them "meter" if they have not already turned it on.

We shouldn't have to count our change or check our credit card bills but the bottom line is there are bad people in every profession and others who simply make mistakes ... not that it makes ripping people off okay, but people should know enough to check the meter is turned on, especially those who have been around or did even the most basic of research before visiting.

Of course this all assume the story is factual as opposed to some news item taking from somebody's facebook page without any verification of anything.

This happened to me last week.

The drivers need to be reported and banned from taking customers at the airport.

The Thainess is beginning to show through the regulations aimed at protecting customers from too much Thainess.

i live around onnut .. and it happened to me and my wife who is thai...

best of all this happened when martial law first started and they said they would start controlling taxi mafias at the airport.

driver insisted on 400 baht...

i said no too high.. we eventually settled on about 300 including tolls...

when we reached the toll.. he said no no.. 300 and tolls paid by us..

so we ended up paying closer to 400 again..

it's terrible but i didn't want to go through any hassle to grumble with the guy... just paid him and had a good day after that.

There is a problem with this not using meter etc., and I understand where the driver is coming from (it would be the minivan version of the taxi that can hold more luggage in a hatchback or more people). There should be two different meter rates (or standard meter plus standardized surcharge), one for large capacity vehicles and one for the standard taxi...... and the large capacity vehicle would only be called if they have more luggage or more people than could be fit in one vehicle. Not sure about the actual price charged though, whether it includes tolls (sometimes they do that when they charge a flat rate). If the vehicle costs more and the fuel it consumes is more than a standard taxi - it does not make sense to charge exactly the same rate. She should have just got out of the taxi and taken another.... if she did not require the larger capacity. I actually find that most of the larger capacity vehicle drivers will tell you before you get in the vehicle - don't know if the person is omitting that info. I find it suspicious that a thai person would just not negotiate or get in the next one.... I personally don't know any Thai that would have acted as specified in the story.

• Like 2

A translation in of the sign would help us see this excuse.

Although I am think it is truly just an excuse and has no merit because he would find other work which has rules to follow no matter what job he does

The linked article has a translation of the sign.

As a favor to those who have difficulty reading a link or wish to see a translation, see here, as provided by the lovely bunch at Coconuts.

"This car is bigger and more expensive," the sign on the back of a front seat read, "It requires more gas and can transport twice as many people as a small car. If I use a meter, I will not be able to pay for the original cost and my expenses. Please consider this and be sympathetic for taxi drivers. With all due respect."xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU19fSS

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your in Thailand, the major factors of discussion on this subject must be in the Thai context.

You pay 200Baht 'because of your conscience'. you just reinforce the belief that all foreigners are rich, not a wise move.

You should also realize that a lot of Thai taxi drivers make more than the minimum wage and around the same as semi skilled workers. It's also true that nobody forced any of them to take up this job.

Sure it would be great if everybody in the world was rich but that's not how it works in reality and especially in a capitalism economy.

There's also the fact that many Thai and foreigners have little sympathy for taxi drivers given their overall poor service and their rip offs which many Thais as well as foreigners have experienced.

It would be normal in most countries for the driver of a limousine or an obviously bigger car to tell customers in advance and at the same time state that the rate is therefore different. There seems to no evidence of that happening in this case. The owner / driver should have insisted that his cab be classified in another class of vehicle but if the cab has been fitted with a standard meter then the driver must comply.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

No wonder the rest have to run the gauntlet!

• Like 1

I used to drive a Taxi in the UK and I very much doubt you would let drivers get away with that in the UK so why put up with this shit in Thailand.

I usually use the Bells bus service or Tans Taxi service. Ive used the airport Taxis to go to Pattaya and always agree the fair beforehand which is 1000 baht and they get me their without crazy driving.

As for getting Taxis in Bangkok they either use the meter or they can sod off! There is a simple solution to this do not get into a Taxi without a meter they will soon get the message that farangs wont put up with being ripped off.

Can't remember fuel being this cheap for a long time, so

his plastic pleading for sympathy gets nought out of me.

And why, pray tell, do other taxi drivers switch their meter on?

Every man and his dog are at it these days. Just do your job properly.

Many to maybe even most of the are on LPG or NGV though, which is largely unaffected (LPG went up recently) by gasoline prices.

Although I am think it is truly just an excuse and has no merit because he would find other work which has rules to follow no matter what job he does

Full story: http://bangkok.cocon...-wont-use-meter

xcocon.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xluOSbw2QNWNy4u1

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-06

facepalm.gif

That help?

Not in the slightest does that help.

If that jerkoff driver does not like the income he gets from driving a taxi, then he can quit and do something (legal) that does make more money.

Ripping off and intimidating passengers is not only not right, it is illegal.

A few years ago wife and I got the Taxi to the airport. Just as we were getting out of the hotel I asked for the meter to be turned on. He then got on the freeway both ways only doing 60Kph not the normal 120Kph. He was waiting for me to say go faster thinking if not faster we would miss the plane. I did ask why he is one of the slowest taxi drivers in Bangkok, saying 'save petrol'. The taxi guy got the tray bits as he wanted the big prize for the trip to the airport. So when we got to the airport I slowly paid him in coins counting the smallest denomination I had into his hand. He was very upset uttering obscenities at me. And no tip.

Normally we ask before we get in for the meter fare. If no we go to the next one.

• Like 1

Full story: http://bangkok.cocon...-wont-use-meter

xcocon.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xluOSbw2QNWNy4u1

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-06

facepalm.gif

That help?

Not in the slightest does that help.

If that jerkoff driver does not like the income he gets from driving a taxi, then he can quit and do something (legal) that does make more money.

Ripping off and intimidating passengers is not only not right, it is illegal.

in his mind there is nothing illegal or wrong about such practices as cheating is a well established standard in society.

Was in BKK on the weekend around Sukhumvit. Caught up to 10 taxi and EVERYONE put the meter on without question and none had the new rate. As a result everyone got 100 baht for the 30-50 baht fare. I do not understand why they don't work out that if they comply most people will drop a tip.

I always get the airport rail link. Much less hassle.

Then I guess you don't come in after midnight... What a ridiculous post.

Why is it a ridiculous post? The Airport link is open 75% of the time and the fact flight arrivals during the period it is closed are considerably less. I would guess 90% or maybe more of people arriving will arrive at a time they could take it.

Personally I wouldn't take it unless you lived right next to a station or are without luggage during peak traffic time but it is a good option for many people.