dns server vs hosting server

Ridercnx808

recently got some server space with a new company, but it seems weird.

does this make any sense to you pros? I always thought the dns you point to is your host?..or am i about to learn something new?

ns1.etcnameserver.com and ns2.etcnameserver.com is DNS cluster location which
serve all servers in all data centers, alexandria90.etcserver.com is your
hosting server and located in San Jose.

So is what he said correct or is he BS'ing me (company is known for BS)...he said this:

"...ns1.etcnameserver.com and ns2.etcnameserver.com is DNS cluster location which

hosting server and located in San Jose..."

Which DNS server you use is normally the closest to your client M/C. It doesn't really matter, which one you use - other than a possible slight gain in performance.

Its sounds to me as if he is talking about name servers .. never used a DNS server by host-name before - usually an IP address.

How can your client machine lookup the DNS servers IP address without an address to begin with?

You cannot use a host-name as an address for a DNS server - you need to have an IP address.

Edited by MrTee

Not sure what you think the issue is here.

These are just 'services' that come with the subscription, like MX and DNS, but the services are hosted on separate machines.

The DNS most important to you is the one hosted with your Domain Registrar (where you or they can directly edit the DNS Record for your Domain).

The hosting service's DNS servers are used to reverse-register the actual hosting machine's IP address back to the domain name, but you should also be able to use the DNS Servers on your local connection if your ISP DNS is flaky. Though most prefer Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

So is what he said correct or is he BS'ing me (company is known for BS)...he said this:

"...ns1.etcnameserver.com and ns2.etcnameserver.com is DNS cluster location which

hosting server and located in San Jose..."

Correct, not BS.