Thai police commission endorsed mass transfer of metropolitan police

webfact

In response to Post # 10 and others, I think the lack of immediate sackings is due to the Thai Employment acts. They can only be dismissed after any allegations have been followed through and convictions obtained. This, to my knowledge is a "Across the Board" condition of employment.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

You may well be right about the Employment Legislation which brings the problem that full investigation and court cases are unlikely to be entered into, except in very specific instances, as a decent enquiry is likely to open up a full can of worms which would open another and on and on.

Better to take the line of least resistance and re-shuffle the pack until the next time there's too much bad publicity.

Anyone who falls out of favour for whatever reason is of course likely to become one of the ' specific instances ' mentioned earlier.

Fifty-nine police station chiefs face transfer
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The planned transfers of a large number of police-station chiefs in Bangkok, accused of benefiting from the unlawful display of electronic advertising signboards, went closer to final approval when the Police Commission yesterday agreed in principle to the official reshuffle list.

The meeting, presided over by Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, discussed the list proposed by Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) commissioner Pol Lt-General Sriwara Rangsiprammanakul and initially approved it.

The list names 59 station chiefs and 14 division sub-commanders to be transferred. They will all be replaced by officers from the Provincial Police Regions 2, 3 and 4, reportedly close aides of Sriwara.

Prawit, speaking after the 20-minute meeting, said those disagreeing with their transfers were entitled to lodge petitions with the Central Administrative Court. He said the list would be approved officially on tomorrow and take effect on January 15.

Sriwara said he was holding himself responsible for the MPB reshuffle. "Actions are taken over mistakes made. Officers who perform well, they are not being moved," he said.

The meeting, chaired by Prawit, also initially approved a reshuffle at the Central Investigation Bureau, transferring 130 officers, said Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri.

The 130 officers were close aides of former CIB commissioner Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan and were allegedly involved in four crimes during his tenure: racketeering - contraband petrol trade, sale of positions, operations of gambling dens and football gambling, he added.

The annual police meeting will see changes within the Central Investigation Bureau and the Metropolitan Police Bureau, and is held each year to consider promoting and transferring police officers. According to Royal Thai Police chief Police General Somyos Pumpanmuang, a list of police has been presented to the committee for approval.

The officers on the lists are from the MPB and CIB. According to the police chief, only one petition has been lodged with the police commissioner seeking justice so far.

The allegation against most officers on the transfer list stems from the advertisement boards installed at a number of police kiosks. Every law enforcement officer will receive fair treatment, Police General Somyos assured.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Fifty-nine-police-station-chiefs-face-transfer-30251440.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-08

Here we have, again, the game of musical chairs, whereby on corrupt police replaced with another

only to be moved to another post to continue the charade...

you can get the police out of the corrupt situation, but you can't get the corruption out of the police...

Only in Thailand can a policeman not face punishment for illegal or immoral acts. Instead they get a slap on the wrist and a transfer.

nonsense. in the west they can shoot unarmed men and children and get no discipline at all

Here we have, again, the game of musical chairs, whereby on corrupt police replaced with another

only to be moved to another post to continue the charade...

you can get the police out of the corrupt situation, but you can't get the corruption out of the police...

yup, in any civilised country they would asked to resign or be sacked and in some cases face criminal charges, but here we are in the hub of ....................

Only in Thailand can a policeman not face punishment for illegal or immoral acts. Instead they get a slap on the wrist and a transfer.

nonsense. in the west they can shoot unarmed men and children and get no discipline at all

and your vast experience comes from what may I ask

any of the cases I have looked at in the USA (I assume that is what you are referring too) were justified but unfortunate incidents, the key factor is that you do what an armed officer is asking you to do without question and immediately especially in a society were guns are so prevalent, why should a cop put himself at risk, how many have been killed in the line of duty because they were complacent.

and your vast experience comes from what may I ask

any of the cases I have looked at in the USA (I assume that is what you are referring too) were justified but unfortunate incidents, the key factor is that you do what an armed officer is asking you to do without question and immediately especially in a society were guns are so prevalent, why should a cop put himself at risk, how many have been killed in the line of duty because they were complacent.

you are obviously ignorant of american law. especially as it applies to 12 year olds.

Ho ho, always the question, transferred to where? There must be a very large office somewhere filled with all these transferees, all sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

On second thoughts they are all probably comparing notes - how can I improve my technique so I don't get caught out next time? The name above the office door: Scam School.

Does anybody like to trust anybody work for or into police??!?!? NO!

shame on you and shame on Thailand not breaking down these people and their way of acting

No they get a new job, can start acting the same way but sure more salary and not beeing touched!

Do these people not know the meaning of the words: fire, sack, dismiss, get rid of, terminate, discharge, kick out, send packing, dispense with...........?

Nope and that is one of the reasons you should never believe any claims of reforms or crackdowns until you start seeing literally masses of police, military and civil servants sacked and or imprisoned...

All you'll ever hear is the occasional scapegoat or example when a family falls out of favour with certain parties. Everyone else just gets shuffled to a seat further from the cookie jar than they had previously.

Edited by englishoak