Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter returned today so I went for a ride thinking I would take advantage of the cool dry weather. It stayed between 20 and 22 degrees the whole ride and that was midday.

I never really got into the ride and cut it short at 53 km. It was dark, overcast, cold and very windy. My speeds were off by a good 4 or 5 km and the roar of the wind in my ears was deafening. When I wasn’t riding into the wind it seemed to be buffeting me from the sides. I was never able to just relax and enjoy the day.
There were a lot of Chinese blue-plate cars on the road which worries me just a bit. Maybe I will wait out this cold spell before I go for another ride. I don’t think it will last very long.

• 2 months later...

Disc brakes only important in wet weather.

You don't see any pros using them.

Drop bars hurt my back, I get the idea you are fairly old, so they'll probably hurt your back too.

Get the right frame size this time.

Frame size should be 2/3 your inside leg measurement. Don't let them convince you a small one will work like they did with the last one.

The Trek website clearly lists correct sizing.

Disc brakes tend to work better in any weather. There is a great deal of discussion in the pro ranks on the issue - it seems that the difference in stopping indicate that everyone or no one should use them.

I bought a very similar setup in a Specialized Roubaix vs. the Trek and am very happy with it. The only difference is that I added Power Meter based pedals and a Joule GPS head unit.

P.S. I am 65 and have no problem with the drops bothering my back. A number of years ago I was experiencing back problems when I moved to a triathlon bike. I added some back and core exercises which permanently fixed the problem, for both road and tri bikes.

Proper frame size is much more than just inseam size. If possible, I highly recommend a pro fitting before you decide on bike sizing - it will be money well spent.

Edited by SpokaneAl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They recently finished a lot of roadwork in my area. Riding home from the South I always dreaded the last few kilometers but now the last six are some of the smoothest of the whole ride and that makes a big difference when you are pretty much depleted at the end of a ride.

They did another six kilometers near Sop Pao and they widened the another section of road in Phayamengrai so we are now more than a wide spot in the road. Here are some sample road shots from today’s 55 km ride.
Clouds%2B%252B%2BBike%2B-%2B5.jpg
Clouds%2B%252B%2BBike%2B-%2B4.jpg
Clouds%2B%252B%2BBike%2B-%2B3.jpg

Ever so slightly jealous of the good roads you have to ride!

Best I could do was circle the airport in Bangkok 3 times!

A view from the Skylane....

0bb8f1abe10df247eb5f4480a6e39bc3.jpg

Is the airport ride not a bit boring? And also exposed in the heat of the mid-day sun? And quite hard to ride to?

I'm interested in trying out the next night ride at Sepang F1 Circuit...

It is indeed boring, I use it for training rides though where I don't have to worry about traffic getting in the way. The strong winds also make it very challenging as it's very exposed. I normally go early morning or late afternoon/early evening.

Not so hard to ride to, but there is a big car park as well if you prefer to drive there.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Here are a few shots of the bike. Sorry the white lines got a little distorted but the rest of the photo seems about right.

That's lovely smooth tarmac.

I find that I see much less of my surroundings on the road bike than I did on the mountain bike, but I do tend to get out a bit further afield.

SC

Here are a few shots of the bike. Sorry the white lines got a little distorted but the rest of the photo seems about right.

I find that I see much less of my surroundings on the road bike than I did on the mountain bike, but I do tend to get out a bit further afield.

I have found the same. I had real neck problems at first as I tried to look around like I did on the mountain bike. I like the smoothness and speed. I really like that it is much cleaner. A damp rag is all I need to clean the bike after a ride because it is not covered in mud.

I have found the same. I had real neck problems at first as I tried to look around like I did on the mountain bike. I like the smoothness and speed. I really like that it is much cleaner. A damp rag is all I need to clean the bike after a ride because it is not covered in mud.
Does that not depend on where you ride? I only ever rode the mountain bike a few kilometres off road; the shittiest my bike ever got (maybe apart from one construction site road) was through floods, and formerly flooded underpasses... So shitty that we stopped to hose the bikes down before adjourning to the pub after 120 km....

I definitely don’t live in the city. Most of my mountain bike riding was on dirt farmer trails through rice fields and in the hills where I live. When it was dry, it was very dusty. When it rained some trails had standing water and the clay in some areas would stick to everything.

Sky%2BCR%2B%2B002%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Trail%2BPeople%2B%2B014.jpg

Test1%2B%2B001.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

I definitely dont live in the city. Most of my mountain bike riding was on dirt farmer trails through rice fields and in the hills where I live. When it was dry, it was very dusty. When it rained some trails had standing water and the clay in some areas would stick to everything.

I think I prefer the look of the tarmac.... No wonder you manage longer distances on the road bike!

Edit: I've just re commissioned my MTB, and intend to fit it out with basket and carriers for running errands, but I'll also have a go at some dirty back-road (can I say that on the internet?) cycling along the pylon reserves

Edited by StreetCowboy

I definitely dont live in the city. Most of my mountain bike riding was on dirt farmer trails through rice fields and in the hills where I live. When it was dry, it was very dusty. When it rained some trails had standing water and the clay in some areas would stick to everything.

I think I prefer the look of the tarmac.... No wonder you manage longer distances on the road bike!

Edit: I've just re commissioned my MTB, and intend to fit it out with basket and carriers for running errands, but I'll also have a go at some dirty back-road (can I say that on the internet?) cycling along the pylon reserves

Everyone loves having a go at a dirty back road :-)

I'll get my coat.....

Edited by moonoi

Everyone loves having a go at a dirty back road :-)

I'll get my coat.....

the back roads of KL City

post-60794-0-98046500-1467807422_thumb.j

post-60794-0-73500700-1467807418_thumb.j

post-60794-0-12111200-1467807408_thumb.j

post-60794-0-90895900-1467807414_thumb.j

and at night...

post-60794-0-00814200-1467807580_thumb.j

I was trying to get the contrast between the rural back-road and the skyscrapers in the distance. I'm sure you can imagine it...

SC

One thing I don’t like about road bikes, is not being able to walk a short ways to take a better photo. Even stepping off the road for a pee can leave the bottom of the bike shoe clogged and unable to clip in. Then you have to find a small stick and start digging the crap out of the spaces.

One thing I don’t like about road bikes, is not being able to walk a short ways to take a better photo. Even stepping off the road for a pee can leave the bottom of the bike shoe clogged and unable to clip in. Then you have to find a small stick and start digging the crap out of the spaces.

Which cleats are you using? If shimano, or speedplay, they have little covers that fit in your jersey that you can slide on to prevent this problem.

ad20e5d240b436c3198164f8d135e4c8.jpg

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi

I try not to walk in the mud in my road shoes. If I do, I just give one quick stomp on the pedals before I click in and the mud usually falls out.

And, I have the same problem but worse with my MTB shoes. I use Shimano SPD cleats and they always get clogged with mud.