Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

Since the thing I am training is my heart, I am quite happy using a heart monitor. I am not the competitive sort and ride alone so I watch my heart rate and bring it back down to a sustainable level after a zone five exertion.

After my ride yesterday and had a look at the monitor and found I had spent an equal amount of time in zone 3 and 4 (1:34) with only a 20 second difference. Usually I am heavy one over the other depending mainly on the temperature it seems. I find it hard to keep the heart rate down when it is really hot.

What I've found is over time my HR has come down for the same effort. So whereas maybe a year ago a 2 hour ride in similar conditions would average 180bpm, recently that has reduced down to 150bpm.

I'm also now riding longer, faster and feeling more fresh than ever. This bicycling can become addictive ;-) I never set out to compete, however seems to have become the natural progression of things, I really want to know how far, how fast can I push myself, so much so that I also entered my first triathlon in March next year. The wife thinks I've gone mad.....

average 180 for 2 hours shock1.gif

That means if there are times you are at 170, or you have to slow down because of traffic (traffic light), you have to be a lot over 180 at other times.....That you can sustained over 2 hours?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the thing I am training is my heart, I am quite happy using a heart monitor. I am not the competitive sort and ride alone so I watch my heart rate and bring it back down to a sustainable level after a zone five exertion.

After my ride yesterday and had a look at the monitor and found I had spent an equal amount of time in zone 3 and 4 (1:34) with only a 20 second difference. Usually I am heavy one over the other depending mainly on the temperature it seems. I find it hard to keep the heart rate down when it is really hot.

What I've found is over time my HR has come down for the same effort. So whereas maybe a year ago a 2 hour ride in similar conditions would average 180bpm, recently that has reduced down to 150bpm.

I'm also now riding longer, faster and feeling more fresh than ever. This bicycling can become addictive ;-) I never set out to compete, however seems to have become the natural progression of things, I really want to know how far, how fast can I push myself, so much so that I also entered my first triathlon in March next year. The wife thinks I've gone mad.....

Go for it. If I remember correctly, you had a bit of a brush with the asphalt not too long ago. So doing something like this with an ultimate goal can't be anything but good for you. Buy a megaphone for your wife so she can shout encouragement. haha

I just came back from walking the dog and I am so glad I got a ride in yesterday. Can you believe it, today actually feels too cold and too windy here in Chiang Rai?

No I can't believe that it can be anywhere in Thailand too cold for an European gigglem.gif

But we get adopted to hot weather and the "cool" periods aren't long enough to get used to.

(Of topic: every year you can read in the newspapers from a Swede frozen to death in the North. SWEDE!!! I always wonder what the real story is. Narcotics?)

As a triathlete, I have used a hub based power meter for a number of years and rely on it a great deal. Knowing my FTP number and then knowing the percentage of that FTP number I use for a goal race pace helps me make sure that I can run after getting off the bike without blowing up.

An on board power meter is also very valuable to keep me from overextending when going up tough hills. So many push too hard on hills and blow up at the top.

I have a new bike and will be buying a pedal based power meter to make it easier to switch between bikes.

Heart rate monitors are okay, but there is nothing, IMO, that compare to a power meter. Heart rate numbers can vary depending on a variety of other issues, but watts are watts are watts.

Totally agree. I've been using a Stages power meter for the past 6 months, and been really impressed with it.

than why is it 300 meter in the power calculator?

Ran up today, trail through the jungle, steeper but shorter than the road.

rise 704m, time 45.5 minutes, distance 3.24Km, weight 76Kg.

Power = 76 x 9.8 x 704 / 45.5 x 60 = 195W ...... legs are currently optimized for cycling.

As a triathlete, I have used a hub based power meter for a number of years and rely on it a great deal. Knowing my FTP number and then knowing the percentage of that FTP number I use for a goal race pace helps me make sure that I can run after getting off the bike without blowing up.

An on board power meter is also very valuable to keep me from overextending when going up tough hills. So many push too hard on hills and blow up at the top.

I have a new bike and will be buying a pedal based power meter to make it easier to switch between bikes.

Heart rate monitors are okay, but there is nothing, IMO, that compare to a power meter. Heart rate numbers can vary depending on a variety of other issues, but watts are watts are watts.

Totally agree. I've been using a Stages power meter for the past 6 months, and been really impressed with it.

Did you get your stages locally in Thailand, or bring it in from abroad?

You can buy an electronic speedo for 250bht.

The insanity is in the overpricing of this product.

I'm guessing +200bht max on the production cost of the speedo for the added sensor.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

^^^

800 quid!

You'd have to be insane.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/stages/power-meter-shimano-105-5700-ec055152

some good deals in the UK, where i picked mine up in the summer.

That is just on one side. So if one leg would be stronger than the other the result would be very wrong. I guess it won't be on most people, but on some maybe.

^^^

800 quid!

You'd have to be insane.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/stages/power-meter-shimano-105-5700-ec055152

some good deals in the UK, where i picked mine up in the summer.

That is just on one side. So if one leg would be stronger than the other the result would be very wrong. I guess it won't be on most people, but on some maybe.

Dual sided power meters are around the same cost maybe 1-200USD more depending on brand.

If you want the gold standard of power meter, go and look how much an SRM costs :-) makes these look cheap!

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe my problem is that I don't drink alcohol.tongue.png Perhaps I should start.biggrin.png

Oh no ! never start it : thumbsup.gif

I was a little , very little alcool drinker ;

I have stopped without any difficulty a few months ago;

I stopped smoking in july 1983 , 32 y ago ;

and now I feel like I am twenty y old , the experience only more...

If you can afford that bike, buy it! You're not going to find much better.

And I'm going to come up to CR to ride with you just so I can drool over your bike.

looks totally over the top for local riding. Not my cup of tea at all. I'll give it 5 out of 10.

If you can afford that bike, buy it! You're not going to find much better.

And I'm going to come up to CR to ride with you just so I can drool over your bike.

looks totally over the top for local riding. Not my cup of tea at all. I'll give it 5 out of 10.

I guess the bike shop people were glad it was VF in visiting that day, and not you.

When I went in to buy my previous bike, I walked down to my local bike shop. The staff were all busy, so I browsed for a while,looking at the bikes and the prices and sucking my teeth and shaking my head. That was a lot more money than I had in my pocket...

"Can I help you, sir?"

"No, I seem to have come to the wrong shop"

but in the end it was a five day weekend and a long walk home, so I didn't want to leave empty-handed...

SC

A nice thing about the Domane is that there are few if any components to upgrade.

In my case, the only additions have been Bontrager lights (Flare RT at the rear, Ion 700 RT front - with a small remote control that sits next to my Garmin on the bars), and a Shimano D Fly that connects to the rear derailleur cable and sends Di2 information to my Garmin if I choose (battery level, gear etc).

post-62520-14516222215724_thumb.jpg

post-62520-14516222500244_thumb.jpg

post-62520-14516222957055_thumb.jpg

post-62520-14516223158024_thumb.jpg

post-62520-14516223406159_thumb.jpg

post-62520-1451622364446_thumb.jpg

post-62520-14516223904873_thumb.jpg

A nice thing about the Domane is that there are few if any components to upgrade.

In my case, the only additions have been Bontrager lights (Flare RT at the rear, Ion 700 RT front - with a small remote control that sits next to my Garmin on the bars), and a Shimano D Fly that connects to the rear derailleur cable and sends Di2 information to my Garmin if I choose (battery level, gear etc).

That is quit a setup you have there. My Domane only rides inside my Fortuner and then only to go see the Doctor for a checkup. Well, that one time my wife did need to come save my ass when I had a breakdown on the road. I love riding this bike. How are you feeling about yours after having it for a while now?

That is quit a setup you have there. My Domane only rides inside my Fortuner and then only to go see the Doctor for a checkup. Well, that one time my wife did need to come save my ass when I had a breakdown on the road. I love riding this bike. How are you feeling about yours after having it for a while now?

Not been riding as much as I would have liked, having been heavily into house renovations the past few months, and friends from the UK staying with us for a month at the moment. However, the times that I have managed to get on the road, it's been everything I thought it would be. Reasonably light for hills, and the Di2 changing is sublime. The disc brakes are truly confidence inspiring, and I can see within the next couple of years, disc brakes on road bikes will be the rule rather than the exception.

Only question mark I have is with the saddle, which doesn't seem as comfortable as that on my other bike (a San Marco Mantra FX), but I'll get a few more rides in before I decide whether or not to change it.

Just finished my first ride of the year. I haven't been riding much lately, with so much going on, but the weather was so nice I decided to start things off with a century. I started off thinking something around 80 km but was having a good day so tacked on another 22 km. My phone app and on bike monitor don't agree so I did 102 and sure enough the phone said 101.95. I may not be able to walk for a couple of days but I am awash with endorphins right now, so it is all good. Happy New Year and everybody have a great riding year.

Just finished my first ride of the year. I haven't been riding much lately, with so much going on, but the weather was so nice I decided to start things off with a century. I started off thinking something around 80 km but was having a good day so tacked on another 22 km. My phone app and on bike monitor don't agree so I did 102 and sure enough the phone said 101.95. I may not be able to walk for a couple of days but I am awash with endorphins right now, so it is all good. Happy New Year and everybody have a great riding year.

I think that a difference of .05 is practically dead in between the two separate units.

I think that a difference of .05 is practically dead in between the two separate units.

Actually I meant dead even between the two units.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been way too cold to ride lately but the sun came out today so maybe soon. I really need a ride.

Me too!

This afternoon the sun came out, tomorrow the mountain beckons.

Went out for a ride today, Bangkok - Hua Hin....what happened to that lovely cool weather? 40 degrees today!!!!

01e22334c78125a3013a6086bbbe3ac7.jpg

Edited by moonoi

It has been way too cold to ride lately but the sun came out today so maybe soon. I really need a ride.

Me too!

Went out for a ride today, Bangkok - Hua Hin....what happened to that lovely cool weather? 40 degrees today!!!!

01e22334c78125a3013a6086bbbe3ac7.jpg

It is still in the teens here but may get close to 30 later in the day.smile.png

Me too!

It is still in the teens here but may get close to 30 later in the day.smile.png

It was 13° in CM this morning, a little cooler in the suburbs.

After 10 days of riding in southeastern Myanmar, I love the wonderfully cool winter weather here.