Phuket: Big changes made to driving test system

webfact

Phuket: Big changes made to driving test system
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1420692113_1-org.jpg
A learner driver at the Chotima School

PHUKET: -- With a huge backlog of people wanting their driver licences renewed, and with an eye on improving road skills, the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) is farming out driving tests to a private driving school, the Chotima Driving School on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd.

The new system is part of a national initiative to reorganise and improve driving skills and driving tests while at the same time reducing the burden on PLTO staff.

As of Monday (January 5) all applicants for driving tests must be able to show that they have taken some form of classroom and practical training in how to drive. Failing this, they will not be allowed to register to take the test.

Learner drivers are now able to take lessons and then also take the test at the Chotima School. The test will be identical to the one set at the PLTO. If they pass, they can then take the certificate issued by Chotima to the PLTO and receive their shiny new license.

Learner drivers can also do classroom and practical training in driving at four of the island’s colleges: Rajabhat University, the Polytechnic College, the Technical College, Thalang Technical College, and the Skill Development Centre.

But they will not get the full certificate entitling them to a license.

Instead, after four hours of training they will get a “proof of completion” document which they can take to the PLTO and apply for a license. Unlike graduates of the Chotima School they must still take the driving test at the PLTO.

By farming out the tests, the PLTO staff are now able to reduce the time they spend on new drivers from five days a week to three, giving them more time to work on the backlog of renewals.

Jaturong Kaewkasi, the PLTO’s Chief Adviser, told The Phuket News, “We want to increase the number of renewals we handle each day from 50 to 100.”

He added, “This is a national initiative of the Transportation Department because the Department wants people to be trained, to learn and to practice before getting licences.”

Now, anyone wanting to take the driving test at the PLTO must be there for registration between 8 and 9am on Monday, Thursday or Friday. Only 70 people will be processed per day. The test takes two full days to complete.

Registration for licence renewals is open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 1pm. Currently, no more than 50 people a day will be registered.

For more information contact the PLTO at 076-214 930. For the Chotima School call 076 612 661 or visit facebook.com/chotimadrivingschool

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/big-changes-made-to-driving-test-system-50463.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-08

• Like 2

We spoke to a guy at Songkhla test center who was telling us about this 'method' although at that time it wasn't two days or whatever.

He claimed it was even easier to go to a 'driving school' in Pattani and take a day course to get a certificate than spend a day queuing and waiting at the test center.

It sounded as if it was a pretty much book a course, pay the 2000-2500b, finish the day and the next day exchange your certificate at the LTO - with none of the hassle.

So I doubt it improved driving quality it just means less bodies at the LTO.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

"Driving school and Vehicle inspection
Learn driving in Phuket, with expert and professional driving Company who can communicate with you in any language.

-Learning driving a car.
-Apply For Driving Licence
-Vehicle Inspection

You can,Learning,Training and Testing Driving Licence in one place.

Fees 5,000 to 6,500 Baht"

.... Just an added tax, or a shift from public to private revenue.....

• Like 1

So at the end of the day you will still just have to pay Chotima Driving School to get a drivers licence and the proprietor of the school is running this service for the good of the people who drive on the dangerous Thai roads, I suppose on the positive side of things it’s a start to educating drivers in Thailand might be a better idea to get some traffic cops who could do a honest days work and prosecute the wrong doers on the roads

• Like 1

about 7-8 years ago GF in Bangkok went with a driving school for her licence. 20 hours of instruction then a trip to the motor transport dept. There she was given the option of doing the test or paying a fee (2,000 from memory) and getting her licence. To her credit she chose the test. She was the only one in a group of over 20 who did so. I can see potential for the same happening in this Phuket scenario.

• Like 1

I wonder who owns the Chotima Driving School......

If you are suspicious, I would suggest that you investigate and give us an answer, rather than an off the cuff accusation. If you don't investigate, then you really don't care. I think you would agree with this?

Will Thailand never learn. Farming out testing to private schools will mean a huge success and lots of backhanders to testers.!!! Lots of crap drivers coming on the road.

Errrrrr hello, your using future tense!!!!!!! "Lots of crap drivers COMING to the road" they're already here and have been for a long time, no road sense and no driving skills!

We spoke to a guy at Songkhla test center who was telling us about this 'method' although at that time it wasn't two days or whatever.

He claimed it was even easier to go to a 'driving school' in Pattani and take a day course to get a certificate than spend a day queuing and waiting at the test center.

It sounded as if it was a pretty much book a course, pay the 2000-2500b, finish the day and the next day exchange your certificate at the LTO - with none of the hassle.

So I doubt it improved driving quality it just means less bodies at the LTO.

I wonder who owns the Chotima Driving School......

I shudder to think.

I heard (many times) that many people just 'Pay Someone' for their license. (i heard prices ranging from 500 to 2000 baht).

if that is true,, then what does it matter about all these driving schools and Test Centres?

- or is the 'Buy a License' a thing of the past ?

The day I got my driver's license in Phuket was memorable. I'll never forget watching the Thai women trying to parallel park a car as part of the test. Seeing them drive a foot stop turn the wheel back up turn the wheel drive a foot forward stop turn the wheel back up a foot, turn the wheel etc. etc. etc. Endless fun.

I recall asystem in Bahrain about 25 years ago whereby any candidate for a driving licence had to show a "pass" certificate from one of half a dozen "approved" driving schools before taking an officil test. These schools soon became extortioners and the idea had to be scrapped.

However thai driving standards are poor and some form of pre-test instruction is necessary.

As of Monday (January 5) all applicants for driving tests must be able to show that they have taken some form of classroom and practical training in how to drive. Failing this, they will not be allowed to register to take the test.

No problem, they will just drive anyway without a license like they have done for years.

Friend off mine, took a test 2 months ago in Det Udom, 280 Baht, for both car and motorcycle. Took him 4 hourslaugh.png Because he came late! I go take the same test next month, for some reason, farrang have to do it every year... "Sanook - Sanook"

• Like 1

At first glance it sounds like a good idea but I can remember on first arriving in Thailand I got a Thai license for a car by showing my UK license but took a one hour course with a local driving school driving on main roads in the city, my first question to the qualified instructor what are the speed limits in the city and his answer I don't know just go at what speed you think is ok

• Like 2

I recall asystem in Bahrain about 25 years ago whereby any candidate for a driving licence had to show a "pass" certificate from one of half a dozen "approved" driving schools before taking an officil test. These schools soon became extortioners and the idea had to be scrapped.

However thai driving standards are poor and some form of pre-test instruction is necessary.

Citing something 25 years ago is about as useless as can be. You owe me the 30 seconds it took to read that.