Overstay...WHY?

willyumiii

People have a multitude of reasons and lets be very clear it was Thailand that was very lax about it compared to other countries and I guess until recently a lot of people didn't take it too seriously. All the prudes and stiffs will say what they say and nothing will change. When I first started coming here 16 years ago my offshore rotation was 35 and 35. With my travel time to work I was always in Thailand for 32 days. Basically for years I was a serial overstayer (bring on the haters...) I was always 2 days over but I always wanted to stay here as long as I could and paying 1000 baht at the airport for me was the most viable option. Nothing was ever said and many times immigration waived the fine with a smile and a joke. There was never any mention or indication that I was doing anything serious and as I said I did that for years. Now I have a non-o and do the right thing but I would never want to become one of these self righteous TV posters to seem to know everything about Thai law and are so quick to decry the evil falang who occasionally might do something wrong. Leave it up to police and immigration to deal with that and worry about your own life.

2 whole days... and that many times in a row.. how dare you.. bad boy... God this is on par with genocide.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif dont worry robblok I am sure to many of the squreheads on TV it would be considered not far from it wai.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

People have a multitude of reasons and lets be very clear it was Thailand that was very lax about it compared to other countries and I guess until recently a lot of people didn't take it too seriously. All the prudes and stiffs will say what they say and nothing will change. When I first started coming here 16 years ago my offshore rotation was 35 and 35. With my travel time to work I was always in Thailand for 32 days. Basically for years I was a serial overstayer (bring on the haters...) I was always 2 days over but I always wanted to stay here as long as I could and paying 1000 baht at the airport for me was the most viable option. Nothing was ever said and many times immigration waived the fine with a smile and a joke. There was never any mention or indication that I was doing anything serious and as I said I did that for years. Now I have a non-o and do the right thing but I would never want to become one of these self righteous TV posters to seem to know everything about Thai law and are so quick to decry the evil falang who occasionally might do something wrong. Leave it up to police and immigration to deal with that and worry about your own life.

If i remember correctly, overstay was 200 baht a day then.

As i said in an earlier post, it used to be tolerated with no comebacks, especially for a 2 day overstay. I suspect it wouldn't be too different today given your circumstances, but at least now you have the option of extending for another 30 days.

spot on chrisinth but I was still doing it when the fine became 500

OP writes in the end:

"I believe in karma and feel all deeds are rewarded or punished on their own eventually.

One of my closest friends in the country has been here since the 70s and has no pasport.

I am fine with that.

But, he is not online whining like he is being mistreated."

HAHA - WOW! Never mind that the OP just contradicted every word of his own thread. That's amazing.

Good morning, from TVF.

Edited by John1thru10

It seems that every week there are two or three new post about overstays.

The general consensus seems to be that enforcement of law needs to be prioritized. Organization of beach chairs in Pattaya is of first importance and at least 10% of the national budget should be directed at this issue and, as one poster recently noted, this was the main reason for the coup.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788609-military-city-begin-reorganizing-pattaya-beach/

A close second in national importance is lax parking law enforcement on Soi Post Office, coincidentally also in Pattaya. A forum search will reveal the level of righteous indignation directed at both these deplorable situations. And as far as the jet ski operators are concerned, nothing short of UN intervention will suffice.

Oddly, these supposed heinous crimes all involve Khun Farang getting his knickers in a knot about what Thai people do in their own country that causes inconvenience to farang generally and high quality sex tourists especially.

When it comes to controlling the presence of illegally resident aliens in their country and expecttomg compliance with fairly simple immigrations regulations, unlike beach chair arrangements, this is none of your business and, to be fair, some farang are very important people who may have a lot on their "minds" and have allowed some things to have gone unattended to for the odd decade or so. Besides some of the prime quality residents could be spending tens of dollars every month to support the economy.

As several people have said, "Get a life" and devote your attention to those beach chair concessionaires.

And some of the defense arguments are a tad pathetic and illogical.

sometimes there are changes in circumstances that might warrant an extension, ever thought of that?

Then they should get an extension of stay. Ever thought of that ? Problem solved.

I can see you are a very wise man - can you answer me a couple of questions please. Neeranam referred to a traumatic event with mental health implications. What is the correct visa for that?

There are several long-term expats who have now declined in senility , are unable to conduct their affairs, and have no familial support - what is the correct visa for that?

I can see you are a very wise man - can you answer me a couple of questions please. Neeranam referred to a traumatic event with mental health implications. What is the correct visa for that?

There are several long-term expats who have now declined in senility , are unable to conduct their affairs, and have no familial support - what is the correct visa for that?

No visas for those guys.. you have absolutely no rights here. You could have lived here 20 years but can be kicked out at any moment if you don't have the right visa. Don't forget this is not the west where people who are in a country for a long time get some consideration.

*edit*

Not that the majority of the board agrees with that because they rather see all immigrants kicked out of their home country while they reign free here and don't agree with the immigration rules here.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

Oddly, these supposed heinous crimes all involve Khun Farang getting his knickers in a knot about what Thai people do in their own country that causes inconvenience to farang generally and high quality sex tourists especially.

Why do you write like this as though you're not a 'farang'? You'll never be Thai....very disturbing behaviour...

The general consensus seems to be that enforcement of law needs to be prioritized. Organization of beach chairs in Pattaya is of first importance and at least 10% of the national budget should be directed at this issue and, as one poster recently noted, this was the main reason for the coup.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788609-military-city-begin-reorganizing-pattaya-beach/

A close second in national importance is lax parking law enforcement on Soi Post Office, coincidentally also in Pattaya. A forum search will reveal the level of righteous indignation directed at both these deplorable situations. And as far as the jet ski operators are concerned, nothing short of UN intervention will suffice.

When it comes to controlling the presence of illegally resident aliens in their country and expecttomg compliance with fairly simple immigrations regulations, unlike beach chair arrangements, this is none of your business and, to be fair, some farang are very important people who may have a lot on their "minds" and have allowed some things to have gone unattended to for the odd decade or so. Besides some of the prime quality residents could be spending tens of dollars every month to support the economy.

As several people have said, "Get a life" and devote your attention to those beach chair concessionaires.

sometimes there are changes in circumstances that might warrant an extension, ever thought of that?

Then they should get an extension of stay. Ever thought of that ? Problem solved.

Great post thumbsup.gif but...... Besides some of the prime quality residents could be spending tens of dollars every month to support the economy. is one of the funniest things i've heard all day cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Some think they are under the radar, and will never get caught.

I don't get that one.. I mean once you have to cross the border. Though honestly in all my 9 years here I have never ever been asked for my visa. Except the time I did my Thai driverslicense.

I used to know a guy that over stayed for over 20 years. He didn't even have a passport any more. He lived under the radar and did not see the point in spending the money. He did eventually turn himself in and was allowed to make payments to immigration without being kicked out of the country.

Why do you write like this as though you're not a 'farang'? You'll never be Thai....very disturbing behaviour...

Not completely true.. some of us can get Thai nationality if you jump through a lot of hoops and have a long breath. But in general your right.

I don't get that one.. I mean once you have to cross the border. Though honestly in all my 9 years here I have never ever been asked for my visa. Except the time I did my Thai driverslicense.

I know someone who has tried it twice, and has been kicked out twice. Now they won't have him back. He won't be missed, likes to slap ladies.

I know someone who has tried it twice, and has been kicked out twice. Now they won't have him back. He won't be missed, likes to slap ladies.

I would not try it myself, got the proper visa. I even make it multi entry so I can go back the where I was born or visit some other countries once in a while.

Slapping ladies.. scum.

• Like 1

I think the recent rise in overstay posts is down to the potential blacklist legislation should they ever put it through which isn't looking like happening at the moment.

I'd also go along with the "mind your own business" replies as there are some folks who have had all manner of problems only to find themselves in the mire,who probably need and deserve a little friendly, non judgemental advice also I know of several blokes who have a few quid so paying the 20K fine once a year or so beat having to deal with the ever changing red tape,

What change in red tape,been the the same,more or less for decades.Sheer laziness.When the red tape does change maybe your friends will conform or be banned.Then they will complain, of course, about red tape.

Edited by louse1953

Long overstays I can see being maybe irresposible but there could be extenuating circumstances. Short overstay could be a lot or reasons,some friends booked trip for 32 days so just paid the 2 day overstay wasn't worth the hassel to a[ply for a visa. In my case was on tourist visa went to CW to covert to Non-O and get retirement extension was told " Your on overstay" Immigration officer said I see the problem when you were in Cambodia they stamped over the Thai stamp and it looks like you had more time. Its ok we give you 7 days to leave then can get Non-O when you come back.

I overstayed last year 35 days. 7 days before my retirement extention due , i had a serious accident.

Iwas unable to do my extention, due to being in a coma.

When i was able to tell my wife she went to immigration, and was treated terribly by them.

They insisted she pay 20.000 baht overstay( before anybody tells me it should have been 17.500) i know but

they insisted she pay or they would get me deported.

Fact she had proof from hospital of my condition did not matter.

Never overstay if it can be avoided, immigration are a law unto themselves when it suits them.

Hope your better now mate.Name and shame the Immi office.

It is because things don't always go as they are planned.

I think this is because so many come here the first time, expecting to spend about a month here, and find themselves having so much fun they want to stay longer. They have no pressing obligations at home and money to spend. So what is so wrong with that?

Many times I have been on vacation to places I wished I could leave sooner, and many more that I wanted to stay longer. It just happens that way as nobody really knows what to expect when they go to a new place. I know, even with prior knowledge, that Pattaya was more than I expected my first time.

• Like 1

I overstayed last year 35 days. 7 days before my retirement extention due , i had a serious accident.

Iwas unable to do my extention, due to being in a coma.

When i was able to tell my wife she went to immigration, and was treated terribly by them.

They insisted she pay 20.000 baht overstay( before anybody tells me it should have been 17.500) i know but

they insisted she pay or they would get me deported.

Fact she had proof from hospital of my condition did not matter.

Never overstay if it can be avoided, immigration are a law unto themselves when it suits them.

Hope your better now mate.Name and shame the Immi office.

Hope you'RE better now yourself, mate.

No visas for those guys.. you have absolutely no rights here. You could have lived here 20 years but can be kicked out at any moment if you don't have the right visa. Don't forget this is not the west where people who are in a country for a long time get some consideration.

Correct - neeranam brought up a valid point and it was ignored. There are people here suffering from genuine illness, disability, a change in personal circumstances, and mental decline. The hanging judges here need to engage brain before mouth.

A change in circumstances is not Immi's problem as it would be the same in the west.All i can say is,it good to have friends.

It is because things don't always go as they are planned.

I think this is because so many come here the first time, expecting to spend about a month here, and find themselves having so much fun they want to stay longer. They have no pressing obligations at home and money to spend. So what is so wrong with that?

Many times I have been on vacation to places I wished I could leave sooner, and many more that I wanted to stay longer. It just happens that way as nobody really knows what to expect when they go to a new place. I know, even with prior knowledge, that Pattaya was more than I expected my first time.

Nothing wrong with staying forever,as long as you do the paperwork,bloody hell,it ain't that hard.

Correct - neeranam brought up a valid point and it was ignored. There are people here suffering from genuine illness, disability, a change in personal circumstances, and mental decline. The hanging judges here need to engage brain before mouth.

A change in circumstances is not Immi's problem as it would be the same in the west.All i can say is,it good to have friends.

I feel a little more rights would be a good thing.. just imagine yourself (under 50) having build a life here from 30 living with your wife and then all of a sudden she dies. You get kicked out even though you could be here for 10-19 years. That is definitely not the same as in the west.

Of other scenario wife divorces you unless you get an other visa you can't even make arrangements and get kicked out too.

Ok I know it does not count for much as most guys here are over 50 and then can go the retirement visa route.

• Like 1

Did i say they shouldn't? Ever thought of that?

Some have tried to do things legally and been punished for it - like the poster earlier who was in a coma.

ATF my wife had an official letter from hospital it made no difference.

Immigration officer would not listen.

Almost everything at IOs depends on individual IOs mood. In nine years, I have only had one issue with an IO, My papers were alright as it was eventually proved. The officer told me I was on 25 days overstay, absolute &lt;deleted&gt;, after consulting with someone else, be just handed me my passport and said " you report again in 90 days" I didn't, I started using the post.

ATF my wife had an official letter from hospital it made no difference.

Immigration officer would not listen.

I did overstay three months during 2011 flooding.

I had an official letter from Nonthaburi immigration to cover the reason of my overstay but, at the airport, I still had to fork out to 20,000 fine...

You should have taken them to court, you have the proof. Of course you could have lost the case TiT, and your are a Farang, (I think).

The problem is they spend all their cash on booze and hookers and waste the rest.

No the trouble is they are just brain dead morons with the intelligence of a dead ant (apologies to any dead ants that read this, no offence meant). Maybe a good business idea would be to start teaching basic maths. 1 + 1 = 2

Obviously these morons cant add

Edited by gandalf12