Visa ED, only got 2 months extension.

I heard immigration are coming to the language schools to check up on this week. I advise every one to attend school this week.

Lol. Isn't everyone going every week already?

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

I am amazed that the Walen in Bkk says they are one of the most popular schools in Bkk and all the students attend most of the classes and accomplishes this with 3 small uncrowded classrooms.

3 small classrooms? Where did you get this from ?

There are 6 classrooms downstairs and 6 classrooms upstairs.

Filled to a maximum of 12 students per class and no more. Which is brilliant as it is not overcrowded and each student still gets personal attention from the teachers.

And yes I see the students attend daily. The system is brilliant for learning the tones and the language.

It took me only 7 weeks to pass my alphabet test.

Out of all the language schools I have ever been too, Walen has definitely got a great and efficient system of learning, but the student has to willing to learn!

I heard immigration are coming to the language schools to check up on this week. I advise every one to attend school this week.

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

I am amazed that the Walen in Bkk says they are one of the most popular schools in Bkk and all the students attend most of the classes and accomplishes this with 3 small uncrowded classrooms.

Filled to a maximum of 12 students per class and no more. Which is brilliant as it is not overcrowded and each student still gets personal attention from the teachers.

And yes I see the students attend daily. The system is brilliant for learning the tones and the language.

Out of all the language schools I have ever been too, Walen has definitely got a great and efficient system of learning, but the student has to willing to learn!

Wow is it really that big? Are you talking about the Times Square head office building? From the outside whenever I walked by the school looks tiny & only one level.

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

Wow is it really that big? Are you talking about the Times Square head office building? From the outside whenever I walked by the school looks tiny & only one level.

So you have never been in the school in Times Square Building, but make the assumption that there are only 3 small classrooms ? ...

Interesting ....

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

So you have never been in the school in Times Square Building, but make the assumption that there are only 3 small classrooms ? ...

Interesting ....

I'm going on the info which "brianp0803" poted about there being 3 classrooms. So there is a 2nd level above the 1st @ Times Square?

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

Wow only 3 small classrooms? Either they don't have many students signing up with them or their classes are packed to the ceiling each time!

Or students signing up and not attending because can already speak enough Thai to pass any basic test.

If attendance is still not required then it seems business as usual except schools now collecting twice as much money to provide paperwork to get educational vidam

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

Wow only 3 small classrooms? Either they don't have many students signing up with them or their classes are packed to the ceiling each time!

Or students signing up and not attending because can already speak enough Thai to pass any basic test.

If attendance is still not required then it seems business as usual except schools now collecting twice as much money to provide paperwork to get educational vidam

"If attendance is still not required" - are you saying that you were an ex-Walen school student therefore know how things operated & that they make up the attendance record for the immigration paperwork for an extension of stay?

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

The basic test at immigration is not only about speaking a little thai...it's about reading and writing too... and as to charges for visas.... Walen does not charge for visas but add it as a complementary service...

I wish people would get their facts right before posting nonsense !

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

"If attendance is still not required" - are you saying that you were an ex-Walen school student therefore know how things operated & that they make up the attendance record for the immigration paperwork for an extension of stay?

Are you a former or current student? I think think you are aware of policies.

Previous comments implied the poster felt enrolled students needed to be told to attend because immigration might be checking.

If students generally attending then no need for warning

Yes, I know several former students from 4 months ago and I am aware of how the immigration form was filled out. Maybe changed now or maybe same because was ok before.

i just got the first extension of my ed visa last week, was 90 days. it is, however, my 4th year of being on an ed visa (2nd year was extending from the 1st year, 3rd year was cut short by one final extension last september when they changed the rules and stuff so i had to go to Laos and get a new ed visa).

lady at the first desk (who is often quite rude) asked me to speak in thai, i did. asked me to read in thai from the application form that i gave them. i did. asked me to write my name and school in thai, i did. got some more questions from desk 2 and 3 but they weren't as tough on me.

if u go to school and actually study and are friendly with the staff, u should have no problem with getting these 90 day extensions. i go to LX btw

Probably because Walen was just in another thread doing his usual thing.... Taking pop shots at competitors while talking his place up ...... But I guess his students are not immune from the 2 month extensions either.

I am really surprised because they always portrait themselves as the perfect school, where you won't get any problem.

Why would a student from the best reputable school, with best attendance and best teaching like WALEN would get only 2 months?

Because of all the past abuse of the ED system .. so it seems one rule applies to all at the moment.

But like you say..things change all the time..let's hope for the better.

Wallen has always protrait itself as a school near perfection, way ABOVE other schools and white as snow regarding abusing the system.

How could a perfect school like Walen with pricey course would only get you 3 months?whistling.gif

People on Ed Visa who read and speak Thai already probably won't have any problems and the Ed Visa is still a good long stay option although now more expensive due to having to pay for more classes to get Ed Visa paperwork.

People who can't yet read and speak Thai better find a new alternative to stay in Thailand long term or actually learn Thai.

If you can't speak Thai then best to attend class and write notes in your book. If immigration believes that you are attending class and are a serious student then less likely to have problems.

I would think schools with good lawyers and good relationship with immigration would have less problems but that does not seem to be the case now.

Walen portrays itself as white as snow about abuse of Ed system. Checking with former students may support or contradict this image.

Does the Bkk Walen have more than three small classrooms in the Time Square building teaching Thai classes?

I would think 7 weeks of 4 or more hours a week to learn the alphabet is quite long unless the test has changed. Before it was saying the letters in order from memory, recognizing most the letters and vowels and reading a couple words. I got out after 2 weeks but also studied at home.

Wallen has always protrait itself as a school near perfection, way ABOVE other schools and white as snow regarding abusing the system.

How could a perfect school like Walen with pricey course would only get you 3 months?whistling.gif

Because of immigration's rules. The longest extension allowed for language studies is 90 days.

Before the new police order came into effect last August there were some immigration offices that did one year (some 6 months) extensions. Bangkok has been doing 90 days for several years.

The new rules place them in the category of non-formal schools which limits extension to 90 days.

I got the normal, but my Thai is above average for someone that has studied for 6 months. Also I'm at the big 'W' school.

How long had you been in Thailand and how well did you speak Thai before getting an educational visa to stay in Thailand?

8 months I've been in Thailand and I couldn't speak a single word beforehand.

People on Ed Visa who read and speak Thai already probably won't have any problems and the Ed Visa is still a good long stay option although now more expensive due to having to pay for more classes to get Ed Visa paperwork.

People who can't yet read and speak Thai better find a new alternative to stay in Thailand long term or actually learn Thai.

If you can't speak Thai then best to attend class and write notes in your book. If immigration believes that you are attending class and are a serious student then less likely to have problems.

I would think schools with good lawyers and good relationship with immigration would have less problems but that does not seem to be the case now.

Walen portrays itself as white as snow about abuse of Ed system. Checking with former students may support or contradict this image.

Does the Bkk Walen have more than three small classrooms in the Time Square building teaching Thai classes?

I would think 7 weeks of 4 or more hours a week to learn the alphabet is quite long unless the test has changed. Before it was saying the letters in order from memory, recognizing most the letters and vowels and reading a couple words. I got out after 2 weeks but also studied at home.

Walen have classrooms on other floors in the same building. It's an enormous company.

Just got the call from Pro Language in Asoke. I HAVE to go to get my extension in CHIANG MAI! next week as apparently their students are only get ONE WEEK! At Cheang Wattana!

Can anyone else confirm if this is happening with any other schools? So now I have to pay to get to CM, pay for hotels etc, pay for a 'queue number' in CM (1500 baht), pay for the extension itself then come back.

I am pretty convinced it is some sort of dispute between Pro Language and CW immigration, that I could go there tomorrow speak and write thai well and it wouldn't matter a jot because something going on behind the scenes.

If someone from another school has some experience of this please let me know.

• Like 1

Just got the call from Pro Language in Asoke. I HAVE to go to get my extension in CHIANG MAI! next week as apparently their students are only get ONE WEEK! At Cheang Wattana!

Can anyone else confirm if this is happening with any other schools? So now I have to pay to get to CM, pay for hotels etc, pay for a 'queue number' in CM (1500 baht), pay for the extension itself then come back.

I am pretty convinced it is some sort of dispute between Pro Language and CW immigration, that I could go there tomorrow speak and write thai well and it wouldn't matter a jot because something going on behind the scenes.

I don't know how you would get an extension in CM with paperwork from a school in Bangkok and living in Bangkok also.

You have to live and attend school within the assigned region of the immigration office to get an extension.

It sounds a bit dodgy to me. Paying to get a queue number is real strange.

• Like 1

I don't know how you would get an extension in CM with paperwork from a school in Bangkok and living in Bangkok also.

You have to live and attend school within the assigned region of the immigration office to get an extension.

It sounds a bit dodgy to me. Paying to get a queue number is real strange.

Yes I just called them to clarify this. They didn't outright say it but this 'queue number' is basically under the table.

I'll be studying at uni here and (if all goes well) switching ed visas next month. Let it be known though. Pro language school have some sort of dispute with BKK immigration (probably not 'contributing' enough) and expect their students to fit the bill for it. Please don't ever recommend this school to anyone.

I'll go with it this time as I need the 90 days to register and sign up to uni. But they'll never get another baht from me past that.

I heard a rumour about some students at that school getting arrested for working at the same time. This might have something to do with the "dispute" between the school and Immigration and why their students are now getting shorter extensions than others

I went today to the school office and asked about the documents for the immigration as I have to get my extension next week, then they started to ask me if I had any plan to leave the country soon. I said Yes I have to leave next month for 2 weeks, then they told me your visa expire on feb 4th and you have to apply for a new visa!!

In fact they didnt process the documents and as always it s not their fault but mine.

I got my ED visa in August last year and it seems that for those who has some writing on the Visa sticker they cant get more than 6 months visa then have to apply for a new one after that

Students in my school get 7 days, some 30 days some 60 days, nothing more than that, and it all depend on the school you attend.

no much choices now, considering switching to a Tourist Visa....

is it true that the rule changed weeks ago about the 6 months ED visa ? or is it just some BS as anyway they didnt processed the documents to the Ministry of Education

I went today to the school office and asked about the documents for the immigration as I have to get my extension next week, then they started to ask me if I had any plan to leave the country soon. I said Yes I have to leave next month for 2 weeks, then they told me your visa expire on feb 4th and you have to apply for a new visa!!

In fact they didnt process the documents and as always it s not their fault but mine.

I got my ED visa in August last year and it seems that for those who has some writing on the Visa sticker they cant get more than 6 months visa then have to apply for a new one after that

Students in my school get 7 days, some 30 days some 60 days, nothing more than that, and it all depend on the school you attend.

is it true that the rule changed weeks ago about the 6 months ED visa ? or is it just some BS as anyway they didnt processed the documents to the Ministry of Education

The rule is that you can get extensions for up to 90 days at time, for a maximum of one year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Then for example Bangkok is making that even worse ,while other places don't.

At the present time going to tourist visa lets one save money and much hassling.

The rule is that you can get extensions for up to 90 days at time, for a maximum of one year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

At the present time going to tourist visa lets one save money and much hassling.

I got a Simple Entry ED visa and It seems that it s not for a year anymore but 6 months max, any info ?

it seems that it depend on the school and if the officer write some info on the Visa sticker or not, my friend got no writing then go for a year and me 6 months :(

I got a Simple Entry ED visa and It seems that it s not for a year anymore but 6 months max, any info ?

it seems that it depend on the school and if the officer write some info on the Visa sticker or not, my friend got no writing then go for a year and me 6 months sad.png

Most likely you got an extension of stay, after a single entry non-imm ED visa.

As mentioned before the official rule for extensions is 90 days each time up to one year an nothing new has ever been published after 29i/8/ 2015. Officers can (the wording in the regulation explicitly allows them) reduce these periods on occasions.

Edited by paz

it seems that it depend on the school and if the officer write some info on the Visa sticker or not, my friend got no writing then go for a year and me 6 months sad.png

They changed the rules in oct 2014

Your friend may have got his visa before

The change was from 4to 8 h per week, doubling the amount of studying, therefore 200h level can be reached in 6 months instead of a year.

So you need to apply for your new visa after 6 months, instead of a year.

I would not rush to tourist visa yet

If that new 1 year visa comes for february it could change alot of things for those with current tourist visa

• Like 1

Wow that sounds absolutely strange & scary!! People have been usually getting 60 days from what I've read on this forum. Some are getting 90 days.

Not happening at my school, a student I spoke to got 60 days but I've read from another student on this forum who apparently goes to my school too got 90 days. School is Language Express.

Wow the school has got some front to make the student pay for their fault!

You guys should protest

I heard a rumour about some students at that school getting arrested for working at the same time. This might have something to do with the "dispute" between the school and Immigration and why their students are now getting shorter extensions than others

How would immigration know that though? Unless they were specifically spying on some students. Even then it is extremely harsh to punish all of pro languages students on the actions of a few.

I'll be going there today for an explanation, no doubt they will feed me some BS. I just want an assurance from them that my 15k deposit will be returned to me should something go wrong getting my stamp. I study and have paid my money for a year visa, I (and my fellow students) should not bear the brunt of their disputes with officialdom.

How would immigration know that though? Unless they were specifically spying on some students. Even then it is extremely harsh to punish all of pro languages students on the actions of a few.

I'll be going there today for an explanation, no doubt they will feed me some BS. I just want an assurance from them that my 15k deposit will be returned to me should something go wrong getting my stamp. I study and have paid my money for a year visa, I (and my fellow students) should not bear the brunt of their disputes with officialdom.

That would actually make sense

They could have accidentally(or being ratted on) caught a teacher without work permit, saw he was a student there, and that his school attendance schedule was not viable with his working hours.

The school being also caught red handed of giving fake attendance info, it would make sense they now refuse extensions from the all branch. That would be a typical immigration office reaction.

But as you said, it is unlikely they admit to that. They will surely cover up.

I wonder what they tell prospective students right now...

Same situation, got my ED visa in Vientiane in August, and I have been told that it will be good for only 6 month recently. Because there is a note next to the visa saying that it is for "basic Thai" courses. So if I wish I can go back and get a new visa for "intermediate Thai". A new surprise rule. What a joke.

Anyway, I give up this pointless ED visa and I'll get a tourist as soon as my next extension expires.