Thai govt wants to raise fares of 'low-cost' airlines

webfact

So, AirAsia can run an airline cheaper than the Thais can run a bus route?

Maybe Thai Airways could lower prices and run domestic routes and run these bandits off?

AirAsia ? are you kidding ? AirAsia is Thailands most expensive domestic Airline by a margin..... I am flying 30-40 times a year domestically but, unlike in earlier years where I could easily have 30-40 domestic and international flights on AirAsia alone, I have not been flying them domestically for 4 years or so.

Not that I would not trust them (always felt safe), but they are virtually ALWAYS the most expensive.

More expensive than NOK, the excellent Bangkok Airways (except Samui of course which Budget carriers don't serve anyway), Thai Air's domestic subsidiary THAI SMILE, let alone the super-cheap LION AIR with brand-new aircraft....

• Like 1

My personal favorite was a few years ago (not sure who was in power but probably someone in the Shin family) when whoever was in charge of traffic in Bangkok had a brainstorm regarding traffic congestion in the city.

His idea ................................................... keep the green lights on longer ! Absolutely brilliant ! Who would have thought of this, and it was right in your face !

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

About time someone blamed Thaksin for the latest junta screw up. I knew that little rogue would be involved somewhere. laugh.png

• Like 1

Though that was the purpose of low cost airlines was to fill planes and get everybody flying. But that is not a business model Thai's are not used to. Instead of cutting prices to get customers, they want to raise prices to make up the difference. Someone finally shows them how they should be doing business and they go crying to the goverment. No Fair. Go take a economics course

Come on. Have some sympathy for the bus companies. Those massive sound systems, trillion spot lights, knock off Michelin men and Hanuman and Finding Nemo paint jobs ain't free you know. And that's before the cost of the rigorous driver training and maintenance and safety programmes are even taken into consideration. Next you'll be saying that the bus companies only care about profits and don't give a flying one about their passengers.

Edited by mca

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here is an idea for the government

How about yearly inspections of the equipment of these inter-provincial bus companies

How about governors to slow down these inter-provincial bus companies

How about log books that show exactly how long a driving shift is on these inter-provincial bus companies

How about publishing the safety records of these inter-provincial bus companies

How about restoring democracy in Thailand so that these hair brained ideas from the military masters stop

yes, to all except the final point, I have been out this way for 13 years and I see zero difference between this bunch of idiots and any of the others that have been in power. Remember propellorhead and his outstanding idea to reduce flooding by tying boats across the Chao Phira and using their propellors to move the water faster? Moronic ideas seem to be universal among Thai leaders no matter if they are elected or not, so restoring democracy is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

My personal favorite was a few years ago (not sure who was in power but probably someone in the Shin family) when whoever was in charge of traffic in Bangkok had a brainstorm regarding traffic congestion in the city.

His idea ................................................... keep the green lights on longer ! Absolutely brilliant ! Who would have thought of this, and it was right in your face !

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

You just can't help yourself, can you??

Sure you would manage to sneak the Shin-name in to a thread about carrot-farming................

• Like 2

Maybe Thai Airways could lower prices and run domestic routes and run these bandits off?

Never happen, As much as we think the Thais are crooks they are not in the same league as the Malaysians.

They can rob you blind and make you think it was your fault.

• Like 1

"is this in fact not a cheese shop?"

"Nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more! Say no more!"

"Thailand’s military government is asking domestic “low-cost” airlines to raise their ticket prices to prevent stealing market share from inter-provincial bus companies."

"you killed everyone in the castle!"

"sorry..."

"shes got huge tracks of land!"

Listen Jack Bauer, this poor lady's got a bus company to run and it's just not 'fare'

http://moneyminting.blogspot.com/2011/07/female-bus-tycoon-rags-to-riches-story.html

post-9891-0-99794300-1420796799_thumb.jp

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

so in essence that makes all the airlines high cost therefore this will only lead to difference of choice being in the quality of service/convenience dept so the likes of national carriers still loose out bit of a no brainer really

I don't believe this. Government intervention in a free market? I don't blame travellers who want to travel by air as opposed to the dangerous accident prone busses on Thai roads.

Governments intervene in "free" markets all the time, even in the US. Get used to it, very often it's for a good reason too.

However the idea of rising the minimum fare price is of course stupid and misguided and only aims to prop up the national carrier that's losing customers to low costs.

AirAsia Phuket to Bkk is cheaper than the taxi from Rawai to the bloody airport !

Last month the Air Asia fare Suratthani-Chiang Mai was THB 500....the bus company wanted THB 450 to get you from Samui to Suratthani Airport.....go figure!!

Thai stupidity has hit a new high. Imagine a policy to make light bulbs more expensive because they are taking business away from the candle factories. That sums up the stupidity of these buffalos running the country.

Maybe they can also tax email and text messages also, since it's affecting the business at the post office.

• Like 2

just unbelievable. Maybe this crooked army guy has his shares in bus companies. Unbelievable.

I doubt that very much considering Suchinda Cherdchai is supportive of the opposition.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Grenade-fired-at-mayors-house-74012.html

(Assani Cherdchai, former Thai Rak Thai Party candidate and Suchinda's eldest son.....)

Would you rather sit for 12 hours in one of Ms. Suchinda's ancient dilapidated heaps, which would never have passed a Eurpoean roadworthiness inspection, even in its prime, OR... on a recent vintage aircraft that is continually serviced and inspected?

How about trusting your life to a guy who may, or may not, have passed a Thai public transport driving test (ever!) and who may have lost most of his eyesight and sanity over the last 20 years due to rampant abuse of amphetamines and alcoohol. OR... would you rather trust 2 internationally qualified pilots who may, at any time, lose their job because they had a beer less than 12 hours before the trip or exhibit a mild heart murmur during their semi-annual medical?

Regardless of price, can you guess which I would choose? wink.png

• Like 2

I don't believe this. Government intervention in a free market? I don't blame travellers who want to travel by air as opposed to the dangerous accident prone busses on Thai roads.

Totally agree with you... they should open more Domestic Small Airports to reduce Road Deaths, especially at peak Holiday time.. when all the Bangkok workers are driving like Madmen/Women to get back to their place of employment after visiting there Family's...(No Brainer) wink.png

HAPPY AND SAFE 2015.

Slainte

I agree entirely. It has nothing to do with the cost. besides it being a lot quicker, the roads are dangerous !!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Suchinda Cherdchai should make her buses safer, less environment damaging, buy new high quality bises, hire skilled drivers, ensure the timetable is held and lower the prices. If she can not, then she should find something ells to do. In the civilised world they calls it "the free market". alt=biggrin.png>

how about the Thai Goverment bothers to spend a bit of money and fix the EXHAUST PIPES of their Busses... then they wouldnt pollute Thailand so much!

i would never give money to a company that is so tight-fisted that they dont spend a penny on safety or pollution.

i did notice that the Thai government never spends money when it is for a good cause. it sall just PROFIT with them.

they dont fix their own bus pollution,,, they dont build any skateboard parks, open spaces... places for its PEOPLE.

selfish money grabbers. (thats all).

Once again, here we have a soldier now in charge of a country, he just took control with his guns and men.

A soldier, spent all his life planning how to fight the Burmese or Cambodians or maybe the Laos, sending in the tanks, moving men into battles with foreign armies.

And now he's running a whole country!!!!

He's in charge of everything, he can say anything he damn well wants, and he can stop people from criticising him.

He can get on the TV every night if he wants. Total power over 65 million people Wow!

Oops, here comes bright idea number er..... whatever....

This will all end in tears I'm afraid.

• Like 1