Thai govt wants to raise fares of 'low-cost' airlines

webfact

Why not ask the Gov. to ban cars, so all must travel by bus?

Also ban Amazon Coffee, coz it's better and cheaper than starbux, and motorbike taxis coz they're cheaper and quicker than regular taxis, and street food vendors, coz they are cheaper, and their food tastes better, than the crap u get in shopping malls.

At the same time, please, ask all Gov. employees to take a cut in salary.

Not hard to work out why on the reasoning of the OP.

Junta is backward thinking and totally out of step on this one. As mentioned, if bus companies are hurting due to other forms of travel, smarten up, get your act together and offer a good service. And I posit it's not just the price either. People are simply fed up of doing 12-hour+ journeys to the capital when they could get there in an hour. This goes for government employees, too, who's supervisors would send them on a bus or train... but now their budgets can allow them to fly and thus be more productive.

It is 2015, junta, not 1815. Get with it! Buses are a short-haul idea in this century, flying is the way forwards, or is it that you would just prefer to keep your people down? pffft!

Dave, this was only a request. I highly doubt it would ever be made mandatory given the Thai Gov't will soon be building a major competitor to long haul bus transportation via the dual rail train lines which ultimately will connect several major cities.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, AirAsia can run an airline cheaper than the Thais can run a bus route?

Maybe Thai Airways could lower prices and run domestic routes and run these bandits off?

Travelling by bus can be very expensive in Thailand! ( not only expensive but " bloody dangerous " ) I don't understand why the Thais are obsessed with travelling by bus and minivan ! Flying is far better or even better is to travel by train ( Bangkok to Chiang Mai from only 275 baht ) unfortunately many Thais have never been educated to use " The trains " ( of course in most of Europe it can be one of the most expensive ways to travel)

I only travel by train! and it's seriously cool ....

F.J x

Canary, we all know how much you love the trains and more power to you (and SRT) but the railway doesn't go everywhere. At some point a person on a train has to get a bus to get to their small town. Many of these buses run a set route often to Nakhon Nowhere and thus their popularity. You can take a train to Nong Khai but not Nakhon Phanom.

People with a time schedule and the access to an airport will always take the airline over the bus and the train.

I enjoyed our train trips, now we drive, but upcountry driving is generally safer than driving in cities.

Bangkok to CM may only be B275, but look at the time it takes. Great for you and those with time to kill but not convenient for many others. For tourists train travel is a cultural experience where they can wander from car to car and see Thai life from a different perspective.

The trains were there before the buses and the airlines, so Thais don't need to be educated to ride trains, those that do generally are unable to afford the bus or airfare.

When Thailand gets its first standard gauge fast and frequent trains, maybe we will see a resurgence of railway usage, but for now its ON THE BUSES.

Hello!

Yes i agree with your " kind words " oh and i am also a huge " On The Buses " fan ( i have them all on DVD ...) But remember that the Thais don't seem to see the danger of the roads! The great things why i would always choose a train is because.The scenery and views is so much nicer.Its never about getting from A to B as quick as possible ( even if i was working...) its about the most " enjoyable way to travel " I hate the roads and in fact i am terrified to actually go near a motorway! ( " hideous things " ) I am also very tall 1.90 M and so travelling in a 3rd class carriage gives you so much more legroom and so much more comfortable! Also i hate Air Con ! i prefer a natural warm breeze.I find air con very uncomfortable! ( " hideous " ) Also you can eat on the train with various sellers wandering through the carriages.The other thing is that the trains are so much more sociable so you can meet and chat to lots of nice people " enroute " Its the way i love to travel ! and also the added bonus to travelling by train is in 3rd class you can sunbathe at the same time,i rather enjoy catching the " sun on my legs " whilst being in motion.........( perhaps you can admire my honesty viewers...)

I have always been very different from most people but i have always accepted that.But too many people are always in a rush to get fro A to B so for me it's the " fun that you have travelling is the most important thing " ( 12 hours sat on a bus in a reclining VIP seat in air con would " bore the hell out of me " ........) Each to our own i guess...............

F.J wai2.gif

Nothing against your reasoning, but if you need to travel to a certain point in a certain timeframe - one rarely takes the long way around.

Let's make an example out of your preferred cities - from Bangkok to Chiang Mai;

- Airplane: 1h 15m

- Car: 8h 15m

- Bus: 13h 30min - 15h 30min

- Train:12h

Should I have the time I'd select train, should I not (as usually the case) I'd go with the plane. Each to their own preference smile.png

Edited by jabis

I wonder if any of these business would take part in a TV series of Undercover Boss Thailand. Bet it would make great viewing.

Perhaps this bus lady could be the first.

Now your post deserves a thread by itself...

Just when you think they can not out-dumb themselves once again.

They need to stay out of the way of the free market and let it work. If the bus companies can't compete, sorry about their luck. They should focus on trying to keep them on the road before worrying about the airlines stealing some customers.

If they can get me their in comfort and in an hour, verses an Over-night Bus where your legs are cramped and the bathroom smells to the High Heaven then that a a Good thing. Not Bad!

They should encourage this sort of thing, not penalize it.

Seems to me it is the bus companies that need to lower their price, and not the airlines. ,

• Like 1

Terribly confusing jungle drums. I missed the beating about Thai Airways in something I thought was about buses vs. cheaper air flights. It must be my Thai.

So, AirAsia can run an airline cheaper than the Thais can run a bus route?

Maybe Thai Airways could lower prices and run domestic routes and run these bandits off?

Thai Airways flies to fewer domestic destinations than ever before, seems like they have almost abandoned the country. And even with THAI Smile, they don't have any strategy to fly to these smaller cities, some of which the mainline THAI carrier used to fly to, including Phitsanulok, Lampang, Phetchabun, Nan, Mae Hong Son, Sakorn Nakorn, Nakorn Sri Thammarat, Narathiwat and others. And that's just linking Bangkok with each of these cities. I have never heard of any links planned by THAI between secondary cities such as Chiang Mai, Udon Thani etc. which is something that even Air Asia has managed to do in the meantime.

It's THAI Airways fault for abandoning these routes and basically selling themselves out to the low cost competition.

Such an ignorant claim (either that or an outright deception). Suchinda obviously ignores the fees, taxes & addons that usually just about double (or more) one of these budget airfares. Just the usual non-thought through, outrageous proposals.

This woman owns a factory that manufactures 800 buses a year. Plus several bus companies. Her earnings are in the billions of baht per year. My heart bleeds for her. Rather than improve her service, equipment or routes she wants to stymie the competition. And the minister she approached did not have the good sense to just kick her out onto the streets. Oh, I forgot, her money makes her an elite. One of their own. He could not say no to one of his own.

Thankfully, this appears to be only wishful thinking on the part of several numnuts and the airline industry is a competitive one, in a free market.

Sometimes the powers that be simply have to be ignored, when they start demonstrating this level of ignorance.

• Like 1

I don't believe this. Government intervention in a free market? I don't blame travellers who want to travel by air as opposed to the dangerous accident prone busses on Thai roads.

Agree totally. I imagine Suchinda slipped a nice fat envelope to him to get him to even consider this outrage! And for him to actually make the (reported) statement - it's definitely beyond belief.

Did he suggest to Suchinda that first she has to match the safety record of airlines? (ok, asian airlines have been getting bad press lately because of the odd problem, but if I'm to be inside a metal and glass tube to get somewhere then please let it be a plane!).

• Like 1

"is this in fact not a cheese shop?"

"Nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more! Say no more!"

"Thailand’s military government is asking domestic “low-cost” airlines to raise their ticket prices to prevent stealing market share from inter-provincial bus companies."

"you killed everyone in the castle!"

"sorry..."

"shes got huge tracks of land!"

Listen Jack Bauer, this poor lady's got a bus company to run and it's just not 'fare'

http://moneyminting.blogspot.com/2011/07/female-bus-tycoon-rags-to-riches-story.html

attachicon.gifsuchinda.jpg

Jeez I would want to be well armed if I ever met her in a dark alley.cheesy.gif