Tsunami Building Codes

Hi All

I was just told the other day that a new Thai regulation came into effect after the Tsunami.

The new law as it was related to me - states that - when building a home on the water front (beach front) the home must be localted 75 meters back from the Marine beach land mark (basically the high water mark).

Has anyone heard anything about this - or would you know where I can go to authenticate this regulation.

As purposed this would dry up a very large portion of beach front property from being sold.

Barry

Hi All

I was just told the other day that a new Thai regulation ..........

Told by whom??

It sounds sensible, but then This is Thailand..................

This came from the official in sub district land office in Chaiya. I have been dealing with this guy and he told us that we had to build our home back from the beach (marine marker) 75 meters because of a new Thai Law after the Tsunami - If we move back 75 meters I'm on my neighbors property??

I did have a fellow from Samui in the real estate business tell me there was no such law and he spelled out the follow:

Building regulations are formed/monitored in Thailand by the Tessabaan (municipal government) and are therefore regional. The rules which you speak of may be in place in Phuket, for example but certainly not in Samui. The regulations here are that you cannot build at all within 10M of the high tide waterline, can build no more than a 75sqm structure (but can build multiple structures)

within 50M of the high tide waterline and after 50M the regular municipal building rules apply : Peaked roof only, no more than 12M total building height above plot height, up to 2000sqm structure.

We really need some help here as this official has told us he can arrange for us to put our home on our land for 450,000 Baht under the table - ANY SUGGESTS OUT THERE??

Barry

Building regulations are formed/monitored in Thailand by the Tessabaan (municipal government) and are therefore regional.

That fits with my understanding.

In Chonburi province I had to submit building plans to the local tessabahn.

Up in Korat (Nakorn Ratchasima) I am told that no permission is needed.

I would be very careful about the "under the table" approach.

You might find you are being told to dismantle the house in 5 years time.