Thousands show up at wat for chance to get free iPhone

Lite Beer

Thousands show up at wat for chance to get free iPhone
Mongkhonchaowarat Tangmangmee
The Nation

30251646-01_big.jpg
A large throng of people show up for charity gifts at Wat Ratchaburana in Phitsanulok

PHITSANULOK: -- Thousands of people eagerly gathered at Wat Ratchaburana in the northern province of Phitsanulok yesterday for a chance to get a free iPhone 6 Plus and cash as handouts scheduled during religious ceremonies.

Some even camped out overnight at the temple. About 100 police and soldiers were called in to maintain order.

Because of the huge turnout, security officials finally recommended against sticking to the tradition of "tossing coins of luck" out of concern that it might cause chaos or even a bloody stampede.

The organisers then instead had police and soldiers hand out the coins to each participant at the ceremonies, which were held to gild sacred stone balls of nine temples with gold leaves, and also to ordain Weerayut Photassa, a temple-affairs manager at Wat Ratchaburana.

Some coins of luck were attached to banknotes, and others to notes advising the recipients to claim an iPhone 6 Plus.

One of the lucky participants was Narin Kanpeng, who heard that prizes would be handed out at the temple and decided to show up to try his luck.

"After queuing up for quite some time, I got a coin, and it turned out to bring me luck," he said.

With it came a note that he could get one of the mobile phones.

"I will use it myself," he said.

Two others identified as iPhone 6 Plus winners are Paphon Tongananda and Ananyarak Khamphan. Paphon said he spent about an hour in the queue and got a Bt5 coin with a note stating that he could get a phone.

"I will give this cellphone to my son. He turned 20 on Tuesday. This is going to be a perfect gift," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thousands-show-up-at-wat-for-chance-to-get-free-iP-30251646.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-10

I was at this very temple on Thursday with my g/f and could not believe that they bought little bottles of oil to pour into some sort of burning thing. The oil ran through and was caught in tin cans to be re-sold. Same with the orchid type flowers, buy them , put on an altar, and then recycled. I watched young Thais come and do the ritual but with no facial expression of devotion at all. Inside the temple it seemed that all they wanted was a photo or selfie with the big Buddah in the background. Then shake a can holding sticks and whichever came out first told them to go to a box with different horoscopes printed on them. My g/f had two sticks come out at the same time. When I asked which horoscope to read, she said the good one! Religion...............<deleted>.

• Like 1

for a chance to get a free iPhone 6 Plus and cash as handouts scheduled during religious ceremonies.

Yes, I know when I was baptized as an infant, it was for my folks to get a chance at winning one of the first color TVs.

Sadly, they did not win.

But at confirmation at 13, they almost won a new Camaro.

Perhaps they can erect a statue of an iPhone for the people to come and worship. At least it will be more representative of the hearts of the people.

There's also a real live person in respect of whom statues may be erected for adulation, and that will be officially required.

At least a statue will look better than cardboard cut outs. giggle.gif

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Will the thousands who attend find renewed interest in Buddhism and go to the temple regularly ?

Yes of course BUT only if the giveaways are a very regular feature.

Got to love this, the monks have painted themselves into a corner as to keep encouraging people to come back the giveaways will have to get bigger and better and just where will it stop ?

What a way to get people to come and worship Buddha! Is this religious? Is this instilling religion or even practicing religion?

Sure! The leaders managed to get thousands of to come to their temple. But at what cost? The temple should be closed for sacrilege and their leaders disrobed for this farce.

Or maybe this new tactic is a sign of the times. Come practice pur religion and you will get a prize. What a joke. Now I see why my wife doesn't want to be a Buddhist except as a show for family. It is no longer a religion and instead is a lottery drawing.

This religion of superstition and luck is as much a religion as the gambler in Vegas wearing his lucky underwear is a religion.

What a way to get people to come and worship Buddha! Is this religious? Is this instilling religion or even practicing religion?

Sure! The leaders managed to get thousands of to come to their temple. But at what cost? The temple should be closed for sacrilege and their leaders disrobed for this farce.

Or maybe this new tactic is a sign of the times. Come practice pur religion and you will get a prize. What a joke. Now I see why my wife doesn't want to be a Buddhist except as a show for family. It is no longer a religion and instead is a lottery drawing.

Yes totally disgusting - you would never see any of the Christians or Jews doing anything this sacrilegious, like giving money or gifts to their followers...no way... the Christians and Jews TAKE THE MONEY FROM THE CONGREGATION, BUY GOLD AND KEEP IT THEMSELVES....!!!

Those who complain that this is not the right way for a religion to act, should think about the outright theft and corruption practiced by the thieving bastards that run the horrendous child-fiddling religions of the world, and who imposed life-destroying taxes on their "flock"...rightly named as a bunch of brainless sheep who think they are helping the church, when in fact it is simply BUYING THEIR GODS...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

for a chance to get a free iPhone 6 Plus and cash as handouts scheduled during religious ceremonies.

Yes, I know when I was baptized as an infant, it was for my folks to get a chance at winning one of the first color TVs.

Sadly, they did not win.

But at confirmation at 13, they almost won a new Camaro.

You may still have a chance at your Last Rights.

This religion of superstition and luck is as much a religion as the gambler in Vegas wearing his lucky underwear is a religion.

I don't wear any lucky underwear when I holiday in Vegas. I wear my "Lucky Cap" and dark sunglasses. thumbsup.gif