Why are there so many English man living in Thailand?.

georgemandm

There are so many here for the same reason you come here on holidays.

Some people have the means or work in the correct industry others don't to live in Thailand.

Usually the people that can't live here will then explain how is so much better to just holiday here and they couldn't sell everything and move here.

Edited by wow64

Post removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'm English, I love and am very fond of many of my fellow countrymen, but I'm so glad I don't live there.

Terrible weather, grey skies for months on end.

It's far too small, not only does France have better weather in its southern half, but it's also twice the size.

England ( not Scotland) is hopelessly overcrowded.

Stupid bureaucratic laws stifling any enterprise. Thai people can sell sandwiches tomorrow on the street corner if they see a gap in the market. In England you need several thousand pounds before you can even think about it.

BORING!!

To quote the Poet Laureate of 1972, John Betjeman- ' Come friendly bombs, fall on Slough'

• Like 2

Some people have the means or work in the correct industry others don't to live in Thailand.

Usually the people that can't live here will then explain how is so much better to just holiday here and they couldn't sell everything and move here.

You're kidding?

I always thought it was those with money who could afford to maintain a residence in the home country and travel to Thailand or elsewhere for vacation.

You're kidding?

I always thought it was those with money who could afford to maintain a residence in the home country and travel to Thailand or elsewhere for vacation.

Nah not kidding..

But i am not just referring to money.. I said means. Which would also include balls to do it.

In saying that it doesnt take money to come on holiday in thailand. I see many poor tourist here that no way in the world would I say they had money.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

You're kidding?

Nah not kidding..

But i am not just referring to money.. I said means. Which would also include balls to do it.

In saying that it doesnt take money to come on holiday in thailand. I see many poor tourist here that no way in the world would I say they had money.

Sent from my c64

Does the airfare take out a huge chunk of their spending?

Thailand or England?

What a difficult decision...

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

Maybe without those cold English winters there wouldnt be so many happy Thais using all those things the Brits invented during the industrial revolution

• Like 1

You obviously have never been to England and judging by your English, I'd be surprised if you were born in Australia. However the answer to your question is that England is a toilet.

I'm sorry to pull you up on this, but it simply isn't a "toilet".

Yes, there are rough parts in some cities, but the vast majority of England is a paradise compared to many places in the World, yes including Thailand.

• Like 2

You obviously have never been to England and judging by your English, I'd be surprised if you were born in Australia. However the answer to your question is that England is a toilet.

I'm sorry to pull you up on this, but it simply isn't a "toilet".

Yes, there are rough parts in some cities, but the vast majority of England is a paradise compared to many places in the World, yes including Thailand.

Perhaps I should have rephrased that to "gone down the toilet"

• Like 2

Men love sex more than anything, whether they are african british middle eastern.

And in thailand you can get sex very easily for cheap.

You can rent a decent serviced apartment for 20-30k baht, which is considered peanuts in the western world.

Actually the abnormal thing is to live in the west if you have a decent passive $/GBP income.

Europe is boring, girls hare harder to get. Thaialand is an amazing country, unlimited dining options, the cost of living is quite low, you can lead a decent lifestyle for 2-2.5k usd a month, in the west this money is only enough to get you by. I'm 25 years old, its my 5th time in Thailand now, I want to settle in Bangkok some day, its an amazing city. For me the most important thing is being able to afford a decent serviced apartment, I hate cleaning my room, in the west a serviced apartment will cost a fortune, you really need to be rich to live in one.

By the way I'm Turkish, not British, but I can symphatise.

Edited by Lukecan

An amusing thread, and in total contrast to the opinions expressed by many when the pound looked like plummeting to ~40 baht a couple of years back. Most Poms couldnt wait to get back the old Blighty, the rule of law, footpaths and the NHS - back then, Thailand was the 'toilet' and the UK a shining beacon of hope for many of the disillusioned. Others were off to Cambodia, Thai families or no. Dont know how many actually went anywhere but perhaps we havent seen the end of that particular discussion.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1Y

Also got a chuckle out of the claim that here middle-aged white men are 'something special' - it was only ever our wallets that were 'special' and that's fading fast, whatever the statistics might say about average Thai earnings.

• Like 2

Men love sex more than anything, whether they are african british middle eastern.

And in thailand you can get sex very easily for cheap.

You can rent a decent serviced apartment for 20-30k baht, which is considered peanuts in the western world.

Actually the abnormal thing is to live in the west if you have a decent passive $/GBP income.

Europe is boring, girls hare harder to get. Thaialand is an amazing country, unlimited dining options, the cost of living is quite low, you can lead a decent lifestyle for 2-2.5k usd a month, in the west this money is only enough to get you by. I'm 25 years old, its my 5th time in Thailand now, I want to settle in Bangkok some day, its an amazing city. For me the most important thing is being able to afford a decent serviced apartment, I hate cleaning my room, in the west a serviced apartment will cost a fortune, you really need to be rich to live in one.

By the way I'm Turkish, not British, but I can symphatise.

You can definitely live on that kind of money in Thailand, but I sure as hell wouldnt be allocating 30K of my ~80K budget to rent each month. As for 'getting sex very easily for cheap', I'm confident that most of the Brit retirees here dont see it quite the same way but it may be very different at 25. I can get my apartment 'serviced' a couple of times a week for less than it would cost me to engage the services of one of Coconut Bars finest for two hours of her company. Unless you're an extremely cheap charlie, taking a woman out that you've met on FB or TLL isnt going to be 'cheap', but I'm always happy to hear otherwise. There was a time here when anyone pulling in 100K+ a month considered themselves privileged - those days are long gone regardless of what some of the subsistence types here will tell you. English teachers are a whole other species - I can only assume they are living on heavily-subsidised lunches from the school cafeteria : 30K just wouldnt cut it for me.

You're kidding?

Nah not kidding..

Sent from my c64

Does the airfare take out a huge chunk of their spending?

Says the tourist who couldnt afford a 100 baht taxi fare

• Like 1

When I was living in Germany, there was a lot of English men there too. Maybe that was because of German women? Or are there so many Thai women in Germany now that that swings it? Oddly, it was similar in Holland, France, Austria and Singapore.

As a Brit who has lived in several different countries the first thing I would point out is that the fact that English is the 'Lingua Franca' (love that phrase...) of the expat, you might be surprised to learn that here in Hua Hin the landscape is dominated by Swedes and Norwegians, most of whom are pretty well fluent in English. In other words, if you are simply relying on the fact that an expat speaks English and drinks beer, then your sample is probably pretty unreliable.

Essentially, this entire thesis is patronising in the extreme. Add to that, bile from the w*nkers who pa(troll) these threads just looking to have a go at the English (you now who you are) and, well, get a life!

Edited by korkenzieher
  • Like 1

OP, i feel it a bit strange that you comment on the number of Brits living in Thailand.

Are you worried that in the long run that its going to turn out like Australia?

After all, (modern) Australia was based on the influence of our exported examples of British culture.

Give it a century and Bkk might remind you of Sydney.......................wink.png

are you suggesting that Bangkok is accumulating large numbers of the English criminal underclass?

• Like 2

When I was living in Germany, there was a lot of English men there too. Maybe that was because of German women? Or are there so many Thai women in Germany now that that swings it? Oddly, it was similar in Holland, France, Austria and Singapore.

As a Brit who has lived in several different countries the first thing I would point out is that the fact that English is the 'Lingua Franca' (love that phrase...) of the expat, you might be surprised to learn that here in Hua Hin the landscape is dominated by Swedes and Norwegians, most of whom are pretty well fluent in English. In other words, if you are simply relying on the fact that an expat speaks English and drinks beer, then your sample is probably pretty unreliable.

Essentially, this entire thesis is patronising in the extreme. Add to that, bile from the w*nkers who pa(troll) these threads just looking to have a go at the English (you now who you are) and, well, get a life!

I would put "moonah" on the OP referring to men from the UK (pop. 60 "ODD" million) as opposed to the Billions of anglophones elsewhere on the globe.

We love the English. They're really fun to watch when they drink too much.

Try Living in England ,one day it rains ,next day rains and then it rains even more ,cold in winter ,if you seen better days and alone ,most ladies seen better days as well ,Thailand can be fun if you got the money ,you can have what ever you won't

Hey Lukecan

>>>Thailand is an amazing country, unlimited dining options, the cost of living is quite low, you can lead a decent lifestyle for 2-2.5k usd a month, in the west this money is only enough to get you by. I'm 25 years old, its my 5th time in Thailand now, I want to settle in Bangkok some day, its an amazing city. For me the most important thing is being able to afford a decent serviced apartment, I hate cleaning my room, in the west a serviced apartment will cost a fortune, you really need to be rich to live in one.<<<

Like many expats, I have been commuting between here and the old country for decades.

Just as it has kept me in Mexico, in France, in New York and now in Bangkok it is the prospect of unlimited dining options that keeps me here.