Why are there so many English man living in Thailand?.

georgemandm

Those who move here full-time but don't get stuck here (by building a house, etc) usually end up going back home eventually. That's why you see so many TV members disappearing from the forum on an ongoing basis. That and Mr Toad annoys them.

Then there are those who stay. They are stuck here, or they have nothing to go home to. Then there are the few who fit in with Thais, like it here, and stay here until they die.

By the way, pay no attention to MrToad. He's a meany.

That says it very well.

I would have used a MUCH worse comment about Mr. Toad. tongue.png (Joking.)

I'm going to take offence, joking.

In proper answer to the OPs question, Brits and English seem to travel a lot more than other nations. Probably an historical thing.

Certain places though there seems to be lots of Aussies as well.

Yes, the Brits, especially the English, have a heritage of living overseas--the British Empire you know. When the empire dissolved after WWII, there were 'meany' Brits who had lived and worked in the colonies for generations. Many stayed in the former colonies or looked for work elsewhere overseas because there was little work in the UK.

However, the British cultural penchant of going abroad on vacation may have something to do with it, so may the lousy weather, the high costs, and the better looking women here.

My main exposure to Brits is on thaivisa. From that, I conclude that so many Brits are in Thailand because no one anywhere else can stand them. Thai apparently do not take them seriously but instead see them like grumpy toothless old soi dogs that you just walk around and work hard not to interact with them at all.

So, Brits can live here, bitterly enjoying their carping and complaining, into the sauce, and tolerated only by others like them doing the same thing.

• Like 2

OP, i feel it a bit strange that you comment on the number of Brits living in Thailand.

Are you worried that in the long run that its going to turn out like Australia?

After all, (modern) Australia was based on the influence of our exported examples of British culture.

Give it a century and Bkk might remind you of Sydney.......................wink.png

Sidney already a shit hole same as BKK

• Like 2

Not to be a smartass either, but you mentioned the word "meany" several times, including the thread title. Is this how they spell "many" in Australia? "Meany" just sounds like a person who's not so nice.

But to your question, I've talked to many Englishmen in Thailand. In no particular order, they say their homeland is cold, bleak, over-regulated, expensive, and overrun by immigrants. I'm American, so I'm only speaking from comments that I've heard. And yes, I'm sure Thai women have something to do with this.

I think your comments from Englishmen sums it up Berkshire. The typical (not sure there is one now) Englishman has paid taxes at high rates only to be overrun with immigrants claiming benefits. Immigrants know if they can get into England they will be given housing and benefits paid for by the UK tax payers. The weather is crap and the stress level high. Many elder Englishmen come to live here and other countries so their hard earned pension monies can be put overseas and not left in the uk where the caring UK government will take 50% tax on drawdown!!. So if you can make a living or already have your pension then why not stay in the 'land of smile' and enjoy the weather and hospitality!

• Like 1

Guys, guys, guys ! Will you never learn. This ratbag is winding you all up. It's his hobby, pass time. He sucked me in originally. I sent several replies to his idiot posts & responses. Called him all sort of things, trying to imitate, very poorly, an Aussie.

Actually he can write quite sensibly & literate when he's not playing games.

Cheers..... Mal.

Got you did he?

Many English people who live here made money back home by their entrepreneurial skills or sheer hard work. But they still couldn't belong to the upper middle class or join a snooty club. For that they would have needed birth in the right class, public school and Oxbridge education and a "proper' accent ( People will deny it but England is a very class conscious society). And these people, having made money, prefer to live in Thailand where they enjoy a much higher place in society than would have been possible to achieve in England. They can live here almost as if they were in the colonial era without facing any anti-colonial feelings because Thailand was never really a colony. But more recently, the English people with far less money have been arriving and this is now affecting the image of all of them. Also some of the Thais who have suffered "subtle" discrimination during their travel to England are not too kindly disposed towards the English people who live? here (again many people will deny that there is any discrimination in England).

Why would English people with far less money affect the image of others? It doesn't take money to be polite and do the right thing. There are good and bad people all over the world both rich and poor!!

• Like 1

Those who move here full-time but don't get stuck here (by building a house, etc) usually end up going back home eventually. That's why you see so many TV members disappearing from the forum on an ongoing basis. That and Mr Toad annoys them.

Then there are those who stay. They are stuck here, or they have nothing to go home to. Then there are the few who fit in with Thais, like it here, and stay here until they die.

By the way, pay no attention to MrToad. He's a meany.

That says it very well.

I would have used a MUCH worse comment about Mr. Toad. tongue.png (Joking.)

I'm going to take offence, joking.

In proper answer to the OPs question, Brits and English seem to travel a lot more than other nations. Probably an historical thing.

Certain places though there seems to be lots of Aussies as well.

There does seem to be a lot of Australians from Australia lining there.

Why is dis?

Yeah, we line the walls.

I'd guesstimate that the farang population is around 75% US, and there seem to be an equal number of UK and Oz folk here, and in this condo at least, a good few Korean and Japanese.

Chiang Mai population tell us that the farang population has doubled in the past year or so, but we still have to put up with the cow shed for an Immigration office, while the income goes south.

Costs in Oz are such that rent of a small unit/apartment/flat for one week is about what we pay here in a month.

No doubt it's the same for Brits, and much cheaper to live here than in our own countries, and in spite of the drivers, there are many nice people here.

• Like 1

Many English people who live here made money back home by their entrepreneurial skills or sheer hard work. But they still couldn't belong to the upper middle class or join a snooty club. For that they would have needed birth in the right class, public school and Oxbridge education and a "proper' accent ( People will deny it but England is a very class conscious society). And these people, having made money, prefer to live in Thailand where they enjoy a much higher place in society than would have been possible to achieve in England. They can live here almost as if they were in the colonial era without facing any anti-colonial feelings because Thailand was never really a colony. But more recently, the English people with far less money have been arriving and this is now affecting the image of all of them. Also some of the Thais who have suffered "subtle" discrimination during their travel to England are not too kindly disposed towards the English people who live here (again many people will deny that there is any discrimination in England).

Us Brits class conscious? Don't be silly when I lived in the UK I mixed with all people,why every boxing day the wife and I served the servants their dinner and many many times I talked to the gardeners and even the under gardeners sometimes

• Like 2

Well i am English and most certainly " speak the Queens English " with a BBC Radio Voice...... I must admit after living in Thailand for almost 4 years have bumped into very few " British People " I live in Naklua ( Pattaya ) and didn't realise that there were many Brits here! ( i have met just a handful over the years ) I have lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years and 4 years here in Thailand.I am NOT here to meet the Thai ladies ( although they do " meet me " ...) i am here for the cheap living,The fabulous outdoor lifestyle and my train adventures around Thailand.I shall be moving on soon to " pastures new " very soon and probably spend some time in the UK ( 25 years " On Holiday " is along time away ! ) But Thailand has been most enjoyable and met some great people in the last 4 years that i am proud to call " Best Friends ".It's still a cheap Country to live in! ( i don't think there are many countries left in the world where i could live on 120 GBP a month " all in "

But my advise to anybody thinking about moving here is to " move here while you are still young " Don't leave it until you are 60 years old plus as it's too late in life ( you are " out of the game " ...) I am 51 and left the Uk when i was 26 with just 100 GBP in my pocket! i must of been " nuts " perhaps i still am...............................

Greetings to you all,

Farang jaidee xwai2.gif

• Like 2

When I was living in Germany, there was a lot of English men there too. Maybe that was because of German women? Or are there so many Thai women in Germany now that that swings it? Oddly, it was similar in Holland, France, Austria and Singapore.

As a Brit who has lived in several different countries the first thing I would point out is that the fact that English is the 'Lingua Franca' (love that phrase...) of the expat, you might be surprised to learn that here in Hua Hin the landscape is dominated by Swedes and Norwegians, most of whom are pretty well fluent in English. In other words, if you are simply relying on the fact that an expat speaks English and drinks beer, then your sample is probably pretty unreliable.

Essentially, this entire thesis is patronising in the extreme. Add to that, bile from the w*nkers who pa(troll) these threads just looking to have a go at the English (you now who you are) and, well, get a life!

I would put "moonah" on the OP referring to men from the UK (pop. 60 "ODD" million) as opposed to the Billions of anglophones elsewhere on the globe.

We love the English. They're really fun to watch when they drink too much.

And fight each other.

There are so many here for the same reason you come here on holidays.

Some people have the means or work in the correct industry others don't to live in Thailand.

Usually the people that can't live here will then explain how is so much better to just holiday here and they couldn't sell everything and move here.

You're kidding?

I always thought it was those with money who could afford to maintain a residence in the home country and travel to Thailand or elsewhere for vacation.

Nah not kidding..

But i am not just referring to money.. I said means. Which would also include balls to do it.

In saying that it doesnt take money to come on holiday in thailand. I see many poor tourist here that no way in the world would I say they had money.

Sent from my c64

Does the airfare take out a huge chunk of their spending?

Not really, I saw an air fare recently (Oman Air) for £426 return. That's about 22,000 Baht, or around a week's take home at the current UK average wage.

• Like 1

Many English people who live here made money back home by their entrepreneurial skills or sheer hard work. But they still couldn't belong to the upper middle class or join a snooty club. For that they would have needed birth in the right class, public school and Oxbridge education and a "proper' accent ( People will deny it but England is a very class conscious society). And these people, having made money, prefer to live in Thailand where they enjoy a much higher place in society than would have been possible to achieve in England. They can live here almost as if they were in the colonial era without facing any anti-colonial feelings because Thailand was never really a colony. But more recently, the English people with far less money have been arriving and this is now affecting the image of all of them. Also some of the Thais who have suffered "subtle" discrimination during their travel to England are not too kindly disposed towards the English people who live here (again many people will deny that there is any discrimination in England).

What a load of rubbishcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Ever spend a rainy winter in the UK? As this would answer the first part of your question.

In case you haven't noticed recently but Australia is also quickly becoming one of the most expensive countries in the world to live these days. So soon we will be asking the same question about all these Australians who are living here. Which will answer the second part to your question.

It is easier for me as I am Canadian! Back home right now it is -28C. That is the High for the day! So everyone here knows why I stay here and there is no need to ask me.

• Like 1

Over 5 years, I've come to naturally expect that every white person I meet is either British or Australian - and then once in a while they're not. And somehow, often, they tend to represent very conservative views from those places, as well - which continually surprises me. Plus, 99% of those folks seem utterly obsessed with beer, and how much they pay for a beer - not just drinking the beer, and worried about money. But like, 'At this place, a beer costs x baht, but if we went to that place (and we will right after this beer) it only costs x baht. But I'm also willing to pay an extra x baht here sometimes, because I like it. And also, if we were in Singapore right now, this beer would cost x baht, except let me describe for you the layout of the streets in Singapore, because if you turn the corner at this one place where I was in Singapore, you might find this other place, where a beer costs only x baht. But that's still x baht more than it would be here! Let me just finish this one more beer, and then we'll go to this other place where I'll keep saying all this.'

I've literally had that conversation forced on me a thousand times. And I'm sitting there thinking, instead, 'So...Thai's usually offer red colored drinks to altars of that style, but sometimes green colored offerings for another reason?' And I realize, that the majority of these people have zero interest in the place they've come, and what's behind the things around them. It's a chance to wear flip flops, drink beer, watch sports and push their weight around with asian women. And it's weird that so many of them would choose such a fascinating place to ignore that way.

Except for pushing women around,you've got it.Plus pulling the pin early and enjoying life.That's how we direct people also,past the pub turn left or,go 200 metres past the pub and your there,etc.Pubs are a point of reference and price is bloody important.Why pay more,for the same beer just to show off.

I take offence to you lot from Australia this subject comes up alot in the bar, please remember:

We discovered Australia and it is where we sent our criminals and undesirables that we did not want to have living in our country.

Thailand is a beautiful place and I choose to live here because it is a place where I can retire at 50 and live a great life, with some great people.

Not having to worry about money, the weather etc. England is the best country in the world to work and earn good fortune, but Thailand is in my opinion the best place to live and enjoy the fruits of your labor, but now and again we have to tolerate comments like this from the OP.

• Like 2

Let's start another thread: Why are there so many Greeks in Australia?

Or why are there so many Indians everywhere you go? Which leads to an interesting question. 2 years ago there was an Indian man on a student visa, so he says, selling peanuts on a push bike in BKK. 2 years later he has a motor bike selling material. Now there is another Indian chap selling peanuts on foot. Is this some sort of franchise?

• Like 1

The REAL question here is...why does Englishmen living in Thailand bother you?...I could think of scores of other Thailand irritants that rank above the English, Russian, Chinese and even Australians enjoying themselves in Thailand...not to mention the Americans, Japanese and folks from the ME...

The question we would like to ask the OP...what is your problem with Englishmen?

• Like 1