Poll: Soldier is top career choice

Lite Beer

I'm surprised this is a Bangkok University poll as it has all the signs of ' Thai Researchers for Community Happiness ' about it.

I'm 94% sure,

Indeed. Maybe they will be able to do away with conscription here soon given so many want the job.

I think the news item tends to mislead. Many children aspire` to be military "officers / officials" They never mentioned doing the hard graft to become one. Of course, as in the UK, many will buy their commission due to family connections or wealth. When that happens you inevitably end up with what the British soldiers refer to as "Ruperts" running the show while the experienced NCOs smile knowingly and get the job done. There must be many forum members who would agree with some of that statement.

I was commissioned from the ranks and was never a Rupert :) . Yes, they are the ones from a privileged background who haven't a clue what they are doing, but buying a commission in the British Army went out in the late 19th century, although as you say, having the right background does give a massive leg up. The household regiments are full of braying officers with hyphenated names.

Was doctor last week to repeat an earlier poster!

Why not be both?

A lot of soldiers have side-job anyways (trafficking, running a country, being a minister, overseeing wood loggers, smuggling, controlling beach vendors, collecting money or helping negotiations go along, etc).

It seems being a soldier is not a full-time job.

• Like 1

Well my boy wants to be a soldier.

The military had some hardware on show at Central Plaza in Khon Kaen and my boy went straight over. When I asked him why he wants to be a soldier he said "because the army stop bad people killing protestors"

Spot on. He is wise beyond his years.

Here are some pics of him at the military display. Obviously I have covered his face in light of the fact that some on this forum preferred the daily terrorist attacks by the UDD to peace and stability and I fear those people having my sons picture.

post-140765-0-22113600-1420974979_thumb.

post-140765-0-36770100-1420975002_thumb.

Well my boy wants to be a soldier.

The military had some hardware on show at Central Plaza in Khon Kaen and my boy went straight over. When I asked him why he wants to be a soldier he said "because the army stop bad people killing protestors"

Spot on. He is wise beyond his years.

Here are some pics of him at the military display. Obviously I have covered his face in light of the fact that some on this forum preferred the daily terrorist attacks by the UDD to peace and stability and I fear those people having my sons picture.

Seems more like the lesson being learned here is that if you cannot win something fairly, then you should just take it with force.

The biggest risk that your son faces is not froms members of this forum, but more from misguided parenting.

Before I was never quite sure if you were trolling or not... but now...

Military profession has become most popular, while electronic devices such as iPads, smart phones and computer tablets are the most-wanted gifts. If this poll is accurate, then Thailand will be full of anti-social servicemen who do nothing but bury their faces in the screens of their electronic devices. Just saying... coffee1.gif