Leather care. How to?

Shurup

I've got a Teknic perforated leather jacket last year. I was worrying that the black color would be too hot but it's not while I'm moving. There weren't that many color options for leather and whatever fit me was either black or white. Glad I bought this one and not the white as I'm sure it would have been some other off-white color now.

Anyways I wanted to start a topic where we can share the tips on leather care. How to clean it how to dry it, etc.

I went on some trips end of last year in my new jacket and was lucky not to get it wet or stuffed with dead bugs... until the last ride when I was coming back late and got the bugs all over the front of it. I whipped it off with a dump towel once I was back home and then I left to go back to work the day after. Got back from work a few days ago, looked at my jacket and all the bugs are still there... or most of them. Also many are stuck in the punch holes.

So what is the best way to get the dead bugs off the perforated leather? Do I wait until they dry out and fall out or try to get them off while they're fresh? I don't want to rub the leather with a towel too much as this can damage (cosmetically though) the leather.

Should I use some soapy water and then whipe it once again with a towel soaked in fresh water?

I treat all my leather bike gear with a conditioner/cleaner once a year- I like 'Honey Leather Conditioner' but they're all pretty much made from the same stuff. I soak in pretty well (it takes a couple of days to dry out) and all the bugs and most of the dirt and crud come right off. I think you could damage your jacket by picking at it while it's dry- you need to moisturize it so it remains supple and doesn't get creases or cracks (it will retain its abrasion resistance).

Too late to worry about the conditioner now, need to get rid of the bugs firstand dry it or before applying the conditioner. I got half a dozen small packs of conditioner with jacket, should have applied it right then but too late now. Need to clean it

There are one-step cleaner/conditioners- another good one is Leather CPR (I realize this stuff is difficult or impossible to find in LOS, but maybe you have a source in the States- I got it from Amazon). Leather conditioner isn't like scotchguard- you can use it after the jacket is dirty. If you use regular soap, there's a good chance you'll dry it out to where it might crack.

CPR_Leather.jpg

I will be going to Canada for a week in a few days, will check a few bike shops for some leather cleaner and apply the conditioner after that.

Must not use soap, got it. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea either, hence I asked.

You might try using something really mild (like baby shampoo) for the cleaning aspect- it's formulated not to dry out skin, so it would probably be OK on your jacket- I use it on my helmet interior.

For removing salt, I've read that a mixture of distilled water and white vinegar is the way to go.

Try this: Saddle soap this is what the leather industry treats most leather products in America. I had a leather mfg company in 1975 & we got vats of saddle soap. They still prefer this type over any of the other companies & it is really cheap. In fact if you compare the other brands they will be 300% more & are the same formula.

This is made by Johnson & Johnson. Big C carries it & 3 of the leather houses in Pattaya use it for their leather goods. I use it on My new Hein Gherkie & 4 other motorcycle jackets in California Once every 6 months & good to go. One can will last you about 4 or 5 years. Just wipe dust off if it gets dusty or a rag with a small amount of water. It keeps mold or mildew of the leather as well. I use isopropyl alcohol to take off bug or road grime. If you do that make sure to test the area in back of jacket underneath to make sure the dye is good so you do not remove the color . I use 91% Isoprpyl but the usual 70 % will work & unless you make a special trip to BKK it is hard to find 91% just the blue 70% & apply conditioner immediately so it does not dry the leather & crack. Now if it ever gets cool enough for me to sport the 4 pound jacket I would be stoked!

post-32440-0-63785900-1420952700_thumb.j

Edited by Beardog

Maybe a bum gun will work better blasting the bugs from inside out? May also wash some of the sweat salt out? Dry it out after that and apply conditioner?

It may work better. But I was working under the assumption that the less stress applied to the boots the better. And it would have been awkward using a bum gun inside the boots (maybe impossible for a smaller foot?) So it was easy to simply turn on the hose full blast and then knead the boot surface like a ball of dough until the the crap came out. Old lady said it looked like I was removing pimples. cheesy.gif

It would probably be OK, but you should test it in a spot that's not noticeable first (like on some exposed leather on the inside of the jacket) and see how it works. It doesn't say that it cleans, but the mouturizing effect will likely take off most of the dirt and bugs when you wipe it down.

Great post beardog. I'm off to Tesco lotus express in nearby town, they may carry it.

Attached is what I got together with my leather jacket. Is it any good?

Shurup It is pretty similar in the ingrediants. I could make out the French better than the English but the only difference is the Saddle soap has an additional cleaner that works with the wax to condition the leather. I know Saddle soap has been used on Harley Jackets when My Grandpa was born.

Since you already have it try it. I just prefer this gear for leather since most industries around the world use it for new leather jackets & anything leather. It is highly used in repairing to finish the product before the customer receives the gear. That & it is actually cheaper than designer wax. Especially for motorcycle gear it is a niche product & the price is usually higher & has most likely the same or similar ingredients.

The ingredients in The Saddle soap Are: Fine Soap,Glycerine, Lanolin & quality wax.

The main reason to use it. Available at most shopping centers(the larger ones) in the Shoe dept. So you don't have to special order. I am sure Canada has it everywhere. It is the standard in anything leather & a leather jacket is the same as a leather motorcycle jacket

Here is the jacket I got in June. I had it re-dyed to restore the ribbing original luster & Saddle soap'd it & put it away June 15th & only got to use it twice for an hour & a half. Jacket will withstand 120mph+ road rash but it is a little toasty for Thailand. Sorry about the lighting waiting to get a nice Nikon(not a point & shoot)

Big C has it! Tesco express is to small to carry it. I don't think that would be the right stuff in the picture you just post Shurup.

post-32440-0-60188600-1420960650_thumb.j

post-32440-0-28128400-1420960713_thumb.j

Edited by Beardog

We had a big 1/2 gallon tin of it when I was growing up. Worked on the saddles, tack, Red Wing work boots, bomber jackets and everything else. Lasts forever. I think there's some formulations that are more liquid, but the stuff we had was more paste-y. Meant you had to really rub it in which I suppose is better to make sure the leather really gets impregnated with the soap and remains nice and supple.

Finished applying the stuff I've got with my jacket. Used up 2 full packs to cover it all. Took a while as I tried really hard not to get this stuff stuffed in all the holes. It was a lot easier to use it on parts that were not perforated.

Will see if I can find something in Canada a little more liquid. The stuff I've got is very paste-paste-y.

Looks like it will be a few days before it dries out. May not need to worry about the dirt and dead bugs, I think all that crap is now out as the yellow sponge I used in application was very gray at the end.

Leather is just skin. Cow, horse, moose, whatever.

If you can use it on your own hide, any leather should be OK.

Have washed my Shovelhead jacket with shampoo many times. Does not dry it out, but a conditioner should be applied afterward.

And one meant for leather, not hair !!!

As above, saddle soap is good. Be careful with any thing which says it also will polish. Probably contains silicone, and once on it must be worn off. No Armor All !!

Update. A few days after applying the wax, it finally looks and feels dry and almost all the traces of bugs are gone. Leather looks good, so I will use it again sometimes in the future. But I will check and see if I can find something more liquid for easier application.

Seedy, do you let your jacket dry after washing with shampoo and before applying conditioner?

Seedy, do you let your jacket dry after washing with shampoo and before applying conditioner?

I use a dry cloth to remove dust/dirt.

Then just add some shampoo to warm water - not much, just a small squirt in a litre maybe, wipe jacket. Rinse with same cloth and warm water. Hang to dry.

Apply conditioner. Good to go.

Bought this jacket in the 70's. had a few 'offs' while wearing it, so some rubbing, repairs, etc. Zippers all original. Took 10 years but it is now soft - kinda !! Been wet hundreds of times, once for over 1500 km in two days hard riding. My worst trip ever !

Made of horsehide so was very stiff when new. Kept lots of skin on my body.

Ain't seen this quality jacket since.

Edited by seedy

100861-2.jpg?1334161589I will be going to Canada for a week in a few days, will check a few bike shops for some leather cleaner and apply the conditioner after that.

Must not use soap, got it. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea either, hence I asked.

Any camping or hiking store should have it in Canada. I've used it for years. Works good for me.

• 8 months later...